Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

I think that’s putting it mildly. Didn’t he just not show up for work one day, not even giving the courtesy of a 2 weeks?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
There must've been some real rage behind him doing that. It's a dick move, leaving like that, but I've been in some abusive work environments where I was shit on and overlooked for promotion by the boss because his friends younger brother worked there (and the younger bro sucked btw). It reached a head for me where the younger guy who passed by me started making nasty little quips and shit takes in my direction. I just said fuck it and split.

Yeah, allegedly he had personal problems with the owners (not hard to believe), but that’s not an excuse. He was the project lead and the project was (allegedly) in an absolutely disastrous state, mere months before launch. Abandoning your team of ~ 60 people without even so much as a “I tried, and I failed. I’m sorry.” is more than just a dick move, it’s potentially fucking a lot of people out of a job just because you couldn’t cut the mustard. If I was a potential employer and I got wind of even a rumor of that kind of behavior not only would I not hire him, I would call everyone in the industry I was friendly with and warn them about it too.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, allegedly he had personal problems with the owners (not hard to believe)

Listen, if half of what we've heard about with Fergus is true, as well as the other owners, if he had problems with them they would have made his life a living hell just out of spite and pure cussedness. Everything I've heard from others about the leadership is that either they undercut their own people, or if it's Fergus and he's pissed with you, then nothing is ever good enough and you're fucked no matter what.

The game could have very well been in a shit state entirely because Fergus was changing his mind viciously and intentionally with every little detail of the game, every week.
Week 1
  • "You told me last week to do it this way."
  • "Yeah well I want it this way now."
Week 2
  • "That's not how I want it! Do it differently!"
  • "It's what you asked for last week."
  • "I don't remember that. I asked for it this way, and you give me shit."
Week 3
  • "Fuck you, it's wrong."
At this point it's been all but confirmed by former devs at Obsidian, not just MCA but others I can't recall, that if Fergus takes issue with you, you're fucked because he's going to fuck with you until you leave. At the end of the day, who needs this shit. And what are the odds he actually told people he was splitting because he was miserable and they just swept it under the rug like he didn't say anything? Or rather, the people he told were in a similar boat or just too scared to do anything because they didn't want the leadership treating them like that?

It's not like he could say anything to Sawyer either, simply because Sawyer is a pro-goon douche at the least and possibly Fergus' little weasel in the entire team, basically the guy who rats everyone out to Fergus in a heartbeat. Hell that could have been why his life was so bad there, because he kept telling Sawyer everything, Sawyer undercut him to Fergus, and he splits. They act like it was all his fault, and Sawyer gets the job.

Yeah, allegedly he had personal problems with the owners (not hard to believe)

Listen, if half of what we've heard about with Fergus is true, as well as the other owners, if he had problems with them they would have made his life a living hell just out of spite and pure cussedness. Everything I've heard from others about the leadership is that either they undercut their own people, or if it's Fergus and he's pissed with you, then nothing is ever good enough and you're fucked no matter what.

The game could have very well been in a shit state entirely because Fergus was changing his mind viciously and intentionally with every little detail of the game, every week.
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
At this point it's been all but confirmed by former devs at Obsidian, not just MCA but others I can't recall, that if Fergus takes issue with you, you're fucked because he's going to fuck with you until you leave. At the end of the day, who needs this shit. And what are the odds he actually told people he was splitting because he was miserable and they just swept it under the rug like he didn't say anything? Or rather, the people he told were in a similar boat or just too scared to do anything because they didn't want the leadership treating them like that?

It's not like he could say anything to Sawyer either, simply because Sawyer is a pro-goon douche at the least and possibly Fergus' little weasel in the entire team, basically the guy who rats everyone out to Fergus in a heartbeat. Hell that could have been why his life was so bad there, because he kept telling Sawyer everything, Sawyer undercut him to Fergus, and he splits. They act like it was all his fault, and Sawyer gets the job.

Josh was working at Midway. He was specifically hired to “close” the project when Ferret left.

Cael

Arcane

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
I... My current MD is exactly like that... And he does it to the entire staff on a daily basis. In that, he doesn't play favourites.

Hellion

Arcane
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...lout-76-inside-the-vault-2021-roadmap-and-ama

Fallout76_2021_Roadmap_Full-EN.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Remove the T-51b, BoS logo, Vault Boy, S.P.E.C.I.A.L., and the gear with an emblazoned number, and nothing about any of this would be in any way related to the actual Fallout franchise.

Of course, copy-pasting iconic art assets and ripping superficial motifs from the BIS games is all Bethesda's been doing from the very beginning.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Of course, copy-pasting iconic art assets and ripping superficial motifs from the BIS games is all Bethesda's been doing from the very beginning.

I don't think Bethesda's own game development team has any ideas of their own, or they think Fallout it all about the repeated use of some elements.

I sometimes feel that some creations should not have been passed on to the next generation. If they can not invent their own, they definitely do not deserve those of previous generations.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't think Bethesda's own game development team has any ideas of their own, or they think Fallout it all about the repeated use of some elements.

I'm sure some Joe Blow at Bethesda has good ideas (a grocery store clerk can have good ideas), but the Zenimax suits (though I've just now discovered Microsoft bought them out) and Bethesda studio heads don't want good ideas.

They want safe ideas, which is why they've spent decades now making essentially the same game with essentially the same—though periodically "upgraded"—development tools. As the Codex predicted all those years ago, Bethesda Fallout is simply Oblivion With Guns.

Furthermore, Bethesda's design philosophy for a very long time has been that if they put enough quests, caves, NPCs, weapons, items, art assets, sound assets, cheesy dialog, themes, and COOL STUFF into a computer program, then it becomes a great RPG. They don't build living worlds, and they have absolutely no holistic grasp of the overall state of being of what passes for their games' worlds. They are pretty boxes filled with mannequins and junk, devoid of soul (waxing regrettably poetic there).

Comparing BIS to Bethesda is like comparing a delicious soup concocted by a few experienced chefs to a bunch of random assholes throwing lots of ingredients and spices into a cauldron.

With Fallout in particular, their lack of understanding of the BIS franchise was near-total. In Fallout 3, Super Mutants became nothing more than sci-fi orcs; the xenophobic, secretive Brotherhood of Steel became noble paladins and protectors; etc. I could go on, but anyone with the capacity to understand these things already does.

I sometimes feel that some creations should not have been passed on to the next generation. If they can not invent their own, they definitely do not deserve those of previous generations.

The Great Coronal Mass Ejection Direct Hit can't come soon enough.

ADL

Prophet
I'm sure some Joe Blow at Bethesda has good ideas (a grocery store clerk can have good ideas), but the Zenimax suits (though I've just now discovered Microsoft bought them out) and Bethesda studio heads don't want good ideas.

Codex Year of the Donut
Remove the T-51b, BoS logo, Vault Boy, S.P.E.C.I.A.L., and the gear with an emblazoned number, and nothing about any of this would be in any way related to the actual Fallout franchise.

"if you took the fallout things away it would no longer be fallout"
uhh
ok

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
uhh
ok

Those things are ultimately superficial and are meaningless without substance beneath the surface.

Peeling the face off of a human body and sticking it on a lifeless mannequin doesn't transform the mannequin into that person. It's a lifeless mannequin with a peeled-off face stuck on.

Your lack of understanding of this crucial fact—a variant on the concept of a good thing being more than the sum of its parts—is damning.

Codex Year of the Donut
uhh
ok

Those things are ultimately superficial and are meaningless without substance beneath the surface.

Peeling the face off of a human body and sticking it on a lifeless mannequin doesn't transform the mannequin into that person. It's a lifeless mannequin with a peeled-off face stuck on.

Your lack of understanding of this crucial concept is damning.
There's an angry Wasteland fanboy somewhere that wants to punch you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We are back again with another major update to Fallout 76, called “Locked & Loaded”, which contains a bunch of great new features including S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Loadouts, C.A.M.P. Slots and much more! Watch to learn about what is coming next to the game on April 27.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Ah, Fallout.

The series that was like watching a new breed of Not-Fantasy RPG take to wobbling puppy legs, nurtured into a faithful companion to venture through many trials alongside the CRPG wanderer, and then handing that poor dog over to some furries to get gangraped.

And that was before The Frontier.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Genuinely very disappointed that Fallout is now property of Microsoft.

And not just that, it also changes very little regarding what future titles will be like as M$ will probably have Howard and Pals continue the franchise.

I know the franchise is utterly fucked, but I had hoped that there was perhaps some chance of coming back

That is one of my problems, holding unfounded hope despite how reality has shown that it utterly pisses on and rapes everything that is good. Why can't I just be a fully jaded bastard by now, accepting that everything will suck until they stick me in the grave.

ADL

Prophet
Best hope you have is that everyone responsible for
decline.png
retires early with their Micro$$$oft money and you get some new blood in there. It'll still be
decline.png
but at least it'll be a different kind of
decline.png
and that could be interesting. Also makes an Obsidian/inXile collaboration more likely than it was before. Still not very likely but the chances of that happening went up dramatically compared to what they were before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom