Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Codex Year of the Donut
I like that power armor is actually better for straight combat, no I don't consider "well I DON'T LIKE POWER ARMOR!" to be a valid argument. There shouldn't be some decision between "hm, well should I go with the regular ballistic vest or THIS GIANT FUCKING POWER ARMOR?" on the basis of which will better serve to protect you from dying.

OTOH, power armor should be way more costlier to repair and maintain.

ADL

Prophet
I don't have a problem with power armor being optimal for hectic daily ops-type missions but I wish every enemy in the game wasn't a bullet sponge due to the the level scaling and that stealth worked a little differently so I could get that stealth multiplier off on multiple in an encounter.

What they did with wastelander was amazing, but frankly, the original idea is still retarded : you're the survivor of a nuclear apocalypse (oh wait, actually there are dozens of you), you're in a world which just started its rebirth, and what's your purpose : getting nuclear launch codes in order to restart armageddon just so you can farm XP. Right.

As much as I like exploring the map, I can't get past this.
I thought that was just the non-canon battle royale mode. I played some of the main quest during a free trial and it sent you after the vault's overseer, with the bombs going off being a hazard.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Too bad Todd's crappy engine is unable to display individual world states per player.
Making DLCs for veterans who already did everything and weirdly squeezing it in for new ones does not really work. Wastelanders was already wonky for new chars with dialog not reflecting that half of the time and Ovenseer talking about a Covid76 vaccine you hadn't even invented yet, or NPCs you hadn't heard of.
Now you step out of the vault and there is a 2 man BoS roadblock near the bar. You cannot talk to them, and they are apparently the only one in the forrest? They are just there. Okay.
And a radio call inviting you to trek all the way to Utlus.
Would you go there or rather help the major of Grafton prepare for the upcoming tourist season? Tough choice...

I haven't checked existing locations, but I bet even now the BoS still does not care about their old fallen brothers or help you in the old mainquest.
Although it's probably better not to give those wackos control over nukes. Those are much safer with the players, who ... will just nuke Morgantown to farm flux. Yeah, nevermind.

Uuuh... just realized I forgot what the story of the last BoS DLC was even about. :hahano:

Developer
Too bad Todd's crappy engine is unable to display individual world states per player.
Making DLCs for veterans who already did everything and weirdly squeezing it in for new ones does not really work. Wastelanders was already wonky for new chars with dialog not reflecting that half of the time and Ovenseer talking about a Covid76 vaccine you hadn't even invented yet, or NPCs you hadn't heard of.
Now you step out of the vault and there is a 2 man BoS roadblock near the bar. You cannot talk to them, and they are apparently the only one in the forrest? They are just there. Okay.
And a radio call inviting you to trek all the way to Utlus.
Would you go there or rather help the major of Grafton prepare for the upcoming tourist season? Tough choice...

I haven't checked existing locations, but I bet even now the BoS still does not care about their old fallen brothers or help you in the old mainquest.
Although it's probably better not to give those wackos control over nukes. Those are much safer with the players, who ... will just nuke Morgantown to farm flux. Yeah, nevermind.

Uuuh... just realized I forgot what the story of the last BoS DLC was even about. :hahano:

If I recall correctly I think it starts off about politics of enslaving super mutants to do farmwork and rebuild Appalachia. For example Rahmani argues that since they let super mutants marry molerats inside the brotherhood complex, should they not have the right to come and go as they please? It also argued that eyebots should have a right to vote on Appalachia's future without ID. And why shouldn't the Scorched be allowed to adopt orphaned children? There are other important issues like racism against ghoul scientists and how meritocracy is holding back progress in the brotherhood. The DLC wraps up with Rahmani contacting Elder Maxon about the possbility of setting up safety nets for Raider rape gangs and banning anti-abortion laws entirely. She insists that America was built on immigration and freedom to choose so that nothing can go wrong. Her request is not well received so she ends up destroying the communication device before giving any coords to Maxson. This angers her right hand man and they have an arm wrestling match in powerarmor, everyone gathers around to watch and cheer, but that gets interrupted by flying deathclaws.

edit: If bethesda adds Super Mutant Pride month with public displays of molerat sexuality, I might return to play. Till then i prefer a more classic fallout like fallout shelter or New Fegass the ultimate editon.

Last edited:
Developer
I now have played FO76 again. This is a difficult post to write but someone has to do it.

If you can look past:
-No mods
-Unkillable NPCs throughout the MQs
-Excessive hard disk space requirement.
-Fact it's always online
-Fact you have to pay for storage
-The near pointless nature of growing in level.
-The lack of persistence to the game world. (i'm not sure if private servers keep the world persistent)
-The overpopulation of female characters accompanied by the lack of a groin shot in VATS.
-The MQ characters tend to be invincible until scripted to die. (Steel Reign has this)
-Retconning

..then FO76 has clearly achieved being a decent mediocre Fallout game. You can't take that away from it. They've done too much right at this point.
If you can catch it for 20.00$ to 30.00$ , then it's not a terrible waste of money. Unless you prefer the classic Fallouts feel.

I would characterize FO76 as deeply immerse on a microlevel. Whereas original Fallout games were aiming for macrolevel immersion.

As of now FO76 is bethesda at their best, and we would be wise to see how they fuck things up before dismissing them altogether in the future.

Developer
The Wastelanders/post-Wastelanders stuff is easily the best Bethesda has done with Fallout and it's not even close.

The options are overwhelming and the face gen is better than ever. I suspect mo-capped in the case of MQ characters.

Since bethesda is at its best now with the online fallout, If Todd outsourced the singleplayer-only Fallout sequels to someone more interested in making games like the old ones, then it could be win-win.

But at this point I doubt our world will be around longer than 4 years. With any luck we'll be living the real Fallout before Fallout 5 is released.

There's a good chance FO76 is the last fallout we'll ever see. It'll just be endless expansions from here on. I mourn for my hardware.

Developer
I got totally screwed by bethesda. They have a quest to find Ra-Ra (no relation to Lilura), and it's a location full of robots. I bankrupted myself twice only to run into an unbeatable foe.
There's an assaultron, which combined with its speed, and melee and ranged attack power, cloaking, it's quite difficult to beat in one go.
Bethesda resets this assaultron's health to full if you die. I verified this after I almost beat it using best shit I could scrounge up.
To make things worse for whatever reason bethesda makes you re-run the entire course of the level just to get back to the spot you want.
If you disconnect from server you also lose all of your progress. I got caught by this once when running an MQ.

I simply couldn't win no matter how much ammo, backup weapons, and drugs I took. Although I suppose a lot more stimpaks could have done the trick.
My build is also maxed out, no wasted points.

-A random sidequest should not twice bankrupt you and you still can't beat it.
-I shouldn't need a specialized build to do a random side-quest without proper warning.

It's almost as if some force, some entity, is trying to get me to buy atoms or fallout 1st, so I can enjoy the game more.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
There's an assaultron, which combined with its speed, and melee and ranged attack power, cloaking, it's quite difficult to beat in one go.
Back in my days, real men always carried a shotgun and had "enforcer" slotted. Melee enemies turn out to be quiet harmless when you prone them in 2 shots, and a scorchbeast with crippled wings desperately searches for a spot to land within 30 seconds.
Doesn't matter that you only hit them for 1 dmg. It just works!

Except Sheepsquatches. Because Bethesda codemonkeys cannot into checks. So it can just magically chain special charge attacks without legs. IT JUST WORK- seriously Todd-in-my-head STFU. :argh:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
for real ?
She talks your ear off about having the bar people already innoculated before you even left the vault, and you should get innoculated too asap. Also bringing everyone to the AVR would be unrealiable, so you need to come up with a new way of distribute the vaccine. A vaccine nobody has developed yet.
All before I even went to Charleston let alone got close enough to Rose to hear her. Or help her fix the radio. But the Ovenseer has heard her announcing the arrival of the raiders.

That's 'cause the "trigger" to start the Ovenseer quest is only finishing the Wayward quest. Nuzzink more.

Y'know, the Settlers/Raiders think you are trying to scam them, now that I think about it... how did the Ovenseer get her vaccine without making one... I think the Ovenseer scammed us all. :hahano:

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
for real ?
She talks your ear off about having the bar people already innoculated before you even left the vault, and you should get innoculated too asap. Also bringing everyone to the AVR would be unrealiable, so you need to come up with a new way of distribute the vaccine. A vaccine nobody has developed yet.
All before I even went to Charleston let alone got close enough to Rose to hear her. Or help her fix the radio. But the Ovenseer has heard her announcing the arrival of the raiders.

That's 'cause the "trigger" to start the Ovenseer quest is only finishing the Wayward quest. Nuzzink more.

Y'know, the Settlers/Raiders think you are trying to scam them, now that I think about it... how did the Ovenseer get her vaccine without making one... I think the Ovenseer scammed us all. :hahano:

Ah, the scorched vaccine, totally forgot about that !

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Finally got the time to check the new free story expansion and immidiately got a deja vu: when I played the last one, it was also my first experience with levelscaling. I went in all sneaky... and got instagibbed by a lvl100 mosquito 5 mins in. Did I learn from that? Nope, this time I was instakilled by a lvl100 cave cricket. :hahano:
Oh well, this game is power armor only once you go past lvl100 now I guess. Again. Indoors at least.
Although the game now offers 2 free loadouts, where you freely setup stats and perks, switchable at any hub and trainstation. A dedicated PA build to switch to is now possible.

Writing is solid to good again, way ahead of Todd's and probably on par with Niu-Obsidian. The big bad's "sacrifices for the greater good" holotapes were awsomely done and they picked the perfect VA for that. Gave me vibes from "that New Vegas vault".
It suffers a bit from being chopped in two parts with a several month development gap in between tho. You need to play it as a whole, so you still remember details from the beginning. Because, sad one has to even mention it, they know the basic concept of setup and payoff.
And in the end you can even be a massive dick and turn this BoS into the xenophobic crusading assholes we remember them as. And it would even make sense considering the massive PTSD the player char must have by now.

I'd rate it a solid 3.5 trolls, but since it's free AND from Bethesda, I'll make it a full :4/5:. :obviously:
Well worth the bandwidth.

Also, a few earlier mentioned story hickups aside, it might be possible now to even ignore most of the old mainquest and just stick to Wastelanders/BoS/Allies content and reach lvl50. You still have to do the Responders innoculation and Rose's first quest, but that's pretty much it. Aside from Becket's fiddy cal, Slugbuster and the new PA, nothing is really endgame equipment worth waiting until you lvl50 anyway.

Also, the legendary ammosmith perks makes using heavy weapons a lot easier now. With that and ammosmith I got about 400 bullets of .50 cal out of 10 steel/lead. Before super duper. That's quiet reasonable now.

Welp, see you next year game! :salute:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But... will there be hawt female KKKommunese enemies? Otherwise it will also be sexists on top. :obviously:

Maybe it'll get banned in China. At least it would remove all those dupers with their awfully long nummer/letter names, because the game cannot display chinese hieroglyphs. :hahano:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Genuine question, from a sperg "lore"/writing/quest design standpoint, is this game better than 3 & 4's comic book morality themepark garbage written by Emil in shit on toilet paper? It's not made by the main Bethesda Softworks team right so there might be some soul hidden in there that is untainted by Todd and his untalented cronies? Or is it much the same? I understand that the gameplay is probably a carbon copy of 4's, was just wondering how the developers handled the setting. Is it worth the £11 or whatever it is on sale for right now to check it out if I found 4's gameplay alright?

No I am not going to read a 200 page thread about Fallout 76.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Genuine question, from a sperg "lore"/writing/quest design standpoint, is this game better than 3 & 4's comic book morality themepark garbage written by Emil in shit on toilet paper?
Seriously dude, if you set your bar that low, the answer will always be "yes". :hahano:

General gameplay is like FO4, just without the patented Bethesda writing. Tis mostly exploring and listening to holotapes at first, which can be pretty depressing at times. If you need humans to chase you on fetchquests the games has you covered there now too. The later added Raider faction is well done, the settlers.. is so-so. BoS is is kinda sorta good too.

But yeah, 12 bucks is definitely good value for it.
Same is true for Elderscrolls online btw, if you get some leftover package for that price.

Funfact: Emil Peruwhatshisface is credited as writer, even tho nothing smells like him. Probably a "I AM THE HEADWRITER SO I GET CREDIT" hubris thing. :obviously:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I saw it has the PPK12 Gauss Pistol from Fallout 2 which is already better than any of the garbage can junk original weapon designs of 3 and 4 (PPSh shotguns and water cooled ww1 "assault rifles" lmao). I'm assuming the lead artist for 76 has actually played classic Fallout at some point instead of pretending they don't exist like Bethesda's main team?

Cael

Arcane
I saw it has the PPK12 Gauss Pistol from Fallout 2 which is already better than any of the garbage can junk original weapon designs of 3 and 4 (PPSh shotguns and water cooled ww1 "assault rifles" lmao). I'm assuming the lead artist for 76 has actually played classic Fallout at some point instead of pretending they don't exist like Bethesda's main team?
He might have played only certain mission in Fallout Tactics and think WW1 and WW2 guns are the norm for Fallout as a whole...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I saw it has the PPK12 Gauss Pistol from Fallout 2 which is already better than any of the garbage can junk original weapon designs of 3 and 4
Too bad it sucks. Pistols in general aren't that great, sacrificing range and damage compared to rifles in exchange for... nuzzink. And the gauss pistol adds the wonky buggy charge mechanic as a cherry on top. Also it's apparently made out wet noodles, because it breaks after less than 2 magazines worth of dakka.

Obviously the result of sloppy/rushed coding, but when you work at Beth, you swear never to fix anything, because it makes it look like you made a mistake. NEVER. :obviously:

You're better off doing daily operations until your eyes/ears bleed and hope for the crusader pistol, which is basically the 12.7mm pistol from FNV.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Crusader_pistol

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You're better off doing daily operations until your eyes/ears bleed and hope for the crusader pistol, which is basically the 12.7mm pistol from FNV.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Crusader_pistol
Which in turn is based off of the 14mm Pistol from Fallout 1, so that's fine by me.

Also in games like these (dumb looter shooter stuff) I generally don't really care about the effectiveness of a weapon, if it looks cool or I like it for literally any reason I can find I tend to use it. I've played like 2000 hours of Warframe like a complete degenerate so I'm aware of meme guns not being good, I still use them. I'm just happy to see the PPK12 design return, because it means when someone in their dev team said "ok we need a pistol archetype for the gauss weapon" the designer's first thought wasn't to go rooting around a junkyard for random pieces of scrap metal to slap together into something resembling a gun like pretty much every original Fallout 3 & 4 weapon, they instead went to the game in the series that already has a Gauss Pistol and used that instead.

Seriously I am sick of seeing the AER9 Laser Rifle and AEP7 Laser Pistol when the fucking Wattz Laser guns from Fallout 1 looked so much better. Something New Vegas got right was at least bringing back the original Plasma Pistol (in the form of the Plasma Defender) because the Bethesda jank Fallout 3 Plasma Pistol looks fucking ugly as all hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom