Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Bliblablubb

Arcane
In general Bloodied is, I think, the most fun idea for a build I've seen in a long time in a game - when you're between 10% and 20% hp, you actually for once in Bethesda games, can die, and have to pay attention to things such as incoming radiation during SBQ.
Kinda sorta. It definitly has a lot of synergy across the perks to make it really powerful. Unless the server lags and you die from 5 seconds worth of tiny radiation. Most people back then slotted Alpha Emergency Protocol in their PA, which turned those 10-20% pretty much effectivly back into full health. Unless you forgot about the HP bonus from being fully fed. Which, when running out is immideatly substracted from your tiny health. Leaving you with 1 HP. A friend of a friend's friend that was totally not me died at least 7 times before realizing that. :hahano:

And now that PA parts can be rolled for legendary as well, it's a LOT easier to run bloodied at least.
Not that you really need it tho, the recent addition "Aristocrat's" gives the same as "Junkie's". Add "Oveneater" armor to it and you have a full health 50% extra dmg with absolutly no drawbacks at all.

That is actually something I like about their "balancing": roll those above as 1* items and you can easily pull your weight.

And the KKKool KKKids have hacked/duped weapons anyway, once they pop up in your event you can go afk. :argh:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
What exactly is the meta in this game anyway? Is everyone just running around with Power Armor killing everything and everyone with Fat Mans? Or is there actually some build variety (lol!)?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Fat mans are terribad. Don't want.

You can surprisingly mostly just do whatever the fuck you want, unless you are one of those speshul needs kids that get panic attacks when they might do 1% less dmg than they could. Aside from that is pretty selfexplaining, slot the perks matching your weapon plus what fits your playstyle.
Bloodied is pretty much the only real "advanced" build type, since there are a few perks needing low health that you can use as a permanent improvement.

Meta is more the weapon itself, and the legendary effects on it. Effects like "+50% VATS hit" are hillarious OP, and some weapons are just better than the rest of their group. Hunting for a "godroll" gave people a carrot to run after.
Legendary crafting just changed it to "turn random legendary weapon into scrip, then roll the slotmachine and pray to RNGesus".

In general Bloodied is, I think, the most fun idea for a build I've seen in a long time in a game - when you're between 10% and 20% hp, you actually for once in Bethesda games, can die, and have to pay attention to things such as incoming radiation during SBQ.
Kinda sorta. It definitly has a lot of synergy across the perks to make it really powerful. Unless the server lags and you die from 5 seconds worth of tiny radiation. Most people back then slotted Alpha Emergency Protocol in their PA, which turned those 10-20% pretty much effectivly back into full health. Unless you forgot about the HP bonus from being fully fed. Which, when running out is immideatly substracted from your tiny health. Leaving you with 1 HP. A friend of a friend's friend that was totally not me died at least 7 times before realizing that. :hahano:

And now that PA parts can be rolled for legendary as well, it's a LOT easier to run bloodied at least.
Not that you really need it tho, the recent addition "Aristocrat's" gives the same as "Junkie's". Add "Oveneater" armor to it and you have a full health 50% extra dmg with absolutly no drawbacks at all.

That is actually something I like about their "balancing": roll those above as 1* items and you can easily pull your weight.

What exactly is the meta in this game anyway? Is everyone just running around with Power Armor killing everything and everyone with Fat Mans? Or is there actually some build variety (lol!)?

That's actually a fantastic question.

For all this obsession over rolling a good legendary item that gives +50% this and -20% that... Meta is just circlejerking that you can kill, iono, Scorchbeast Queen or Super Mutant Behemoth in 20 seconds instead of 30.

That's all I got.

But I would still recommend this game; whereas Bethesda's F3 and 4 are sorta like F:Brotherhood of Steel, this one is a decent spinoff a la Tactics. The worldbuilding, lore, reasoning, quality of writing etc. is leagues above what you've seen from those blockbusters, it's not even funny.

I really can't believe I'm saying that this game is good, but, well, it's a much better "Bethesda Fallout" than 3, 4 and DLCs ever were. All of the factors mentioned above are better, shooting and weapon selection is better, enemy variety is better (and actually creative, based on West Virginia folklore), quests are better, settlement/CAMP building is better (tho it's a huge money bait). Just, yeah, there's no "endgame raiding".

It's just, well, those B or C-teamers put out a helluva thing. Probably because they still got shit to prove, and they're not so much caught in the "big leagues" ratrace.

Right now I'm playing mostly Elder Scrolls Online and, yeah, definitely the 2nd best game in the franchise after Morrowind. The quality and amount of content post-2016/2017, ideas that are better than WoW etc. attention to lore is just staggering. Those people know that Elder Scrolls universe is easily on par with Planescape, and they own it.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
When I played, most people didn't bother with a 'meta' or min/maxing, they just sorta played it like a regular RPG except online. The game definitely pushes you towards LARPing rather than powergaming... which is actually pretty respectable given most other games in the genre.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The most used setup is AFAIK still a Commando one. A stealth VATS approach with a silenced automatic rifle. So their holy grail is a bloodied fixer/handmade with faster firerate and +50% hit chance. Kills everything in 1-2 seconds.
Playing from Yurop, with the wonky VATS it only worked semi well for me back then. Half of the time the game did not realize I was shooting until I wasted 5 bullets already. With ops and the ammo machine it's not big issue anymore these days tho.
Alas, many of them have switched to an assplosive variant instead, so all they have to do now is point in the general direction and let splash dmg work.

Of course players like to be entitled shits. When an ops runs with extra enemy detection and poison clouds, they don't adapt. The game has to adapt to them amirite? So they die like flies, are as useful as the french in a war and complain in the end if you did not get the best result. :argh:

Players, players never change.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The most used setup is AFAIK still a Commando one.

I'm not surprised, it was pretty effective in Fallout 4.
I'm not really a fan of that mechanic, tbh.
Instead of doing it the normal way (Energy weapons, small guns, big guns) Bethesda decided to make damage perks based on fire modes.

This is terrible for two reasons imo :

The first reason is because it limits your already limited arsenal to just a few configurations.
The second reason is because automatic weapons give a lot more dps than single shot weapons, and unlike Fallout NV there's no damage threshold mechanic to counter low damage DPS.
The automatic weapon perk also applies to both rifles and pistols, making the semi-automatic pistol perk effectively redundant, along with every semi-automatic pistol in the game as they deal piss-poor damage without perks.

I really don't like how Bethesda handed weapons in FO4. Its like they went through the effort to improve the gunplay but didn't bother giving the players the tools to actually appreciate it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It's just, well, those B or C-teamers put out a helluva thing. Probably because they still got shit to prove, and they're not so much caught in the "big leagues" ratrace.
It's painful to see tho, how they are held back by what little budget and personal they got.
And tbh, I am not predicting a long future for this game. The project lead already jumped ship a week ago, wouldn't surprise me if someone else now has to do that job on top of his own.
Hackers openly flaunt their Frankenstein's weapons, because they know they have nothing to fear, Todd would never pay someone to spent hours digging through the accounts and check every mod combination on each weapons.
The forums are already switched off and "moved" to harder to find discord, so potential customers are not greeted with all tho complaints on their homepage.
The battle royal mode is gone as well now, meaning no more complaints about flying people with nuke shooting miniguns, amirite?

Welp, I am only here for the drama anyways. :obviously:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The automatic weapon perk also applies to both rifles and pistols,
No that's not true. Commando is for rifles and Guerrilla Gorilla for pistols. But it's in agility instead of perception, which already sucks, and only the 10mm and the pipe would even use it. And since the best 10mm auto receiver is buggy and uses the semi auto perk, nobody uses it at all. :hahano:
, and unlike Fallout NV there's no damage threshold mechanic to counter low damage DPS.
But unlike FNV the lack of threshold means they are actually doing dmg AT ALL. :hahano:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The automatic weapon perk also applies to both rifles and pistols,
No that's not true. Commando is for rifles and Guerrilla Gorilla for pistols. But it's in agility instead of perception, which already sucks, and only the 10mm and the pipe would even use it. And since the best 10mm auto receiver is buggy and uses the semi auto perk, nobody uses it at all. :hahano:

Ah good, so FO76 added a perk that makes commando a little less auto-pick. It's better but I'd still prefer it if they'd had Small Guns.
Pity about the bug though, that is pretty serious. Hope they fix it.

But unlike FNV the lack of threshold means they are actually doing dmg AT ALL. :hahano:

That's kind of the point though in FNV. You want high RoF weapons to counter hostiles with low armor but high health (or just hordes) and high damage weapons for armored targets. You have ammo types to reduce DT as well, so its not as if your automatic weapon is completely useless.
Stalker follows the same idea; if you're fighting armored targets you need AP ammo, unless you feel like wasting ammo.
There's a certain strategy involved instead of "gun goes brrr, lol".

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
That's kind of the point though in FNV. You want high RoF weapons to counter hostiles with low armor but high health (or just hordes) and high damage weapons for armored targets.
I was referring to FNV before the infamous "single player game weapons rebalance" patch.
Just like FO4 later, the designers had no idea how armor in the game actually worked, so you got gems like the energy tommygun, dealing 2 dmg per shot when enemies already had... 2DT. Yeah.
Or the split beam for laser rifles, which was supposed to split your beam in 3, dealing more dmg in total at the risk of missing with some. In reality now all 3 rolled against the DT, lowering your effective dmg to... no much at all. :hahano:

FO4 made a similar fuckup, but since the game was never meant to go beyond lvl20/30, they just put random numbers in when Todd realized no lvl cap meant consoletards will play this forever even without access to mods.
Automatic rifles were not generally good in FO4. The 2shot combat rifle you could purchase in the vault just stood out because the values for auto receivers were almost as high as the semi auto.
That and the usual Bethesda fuckup with legendary effects like wounding and explosive. :roll:

That's either a new whole level of incompetence, or one of the boldest attempts to squeeze player for money I've seen.
they already make money from mods and tried to make more off somebody else's mods. ea made the swtor's unsubscribe button unresponsive in the first month. what do you think happened here?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
FOR SCIENCE I logged in to check on the current state of affairs, and this "Fallout Worlds" thing is literally a "subscribers only" thing.

Upon hitting play, you get 4 options:

1) normal world
2) private world (subscribers only)
3) make your own world (subscribers only)
4) a normal world with a mod slapped on by Bethesda

Now tell me Todd: why would anyone JOIN a custom world? It's like a test server, you copy your char and no progress of any sort carries over. Even those who BUILD will realize pretty quick it was all for nuzzink if nobody bothers to visit it and tell you how nice your sandcastle is.
Sounds like an awful lot of manhours someone had to put in just for some quick buck from early shop purchases. I doubt anyone would sub just because of that.

I've been told it did open a funny way to troll people tho: join their world and purchase EVERYTHING in their vendor. In panic they will immidiately press ALT-F4, fearing all that money would be wasted, being over cap. While a few might have forgotten it does not carry over, I doubt the majority even knows that. :hahano:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

With the Inventory Update, Locked & Loaded and Steel Reign in the books, we are excited to bring you the next major update to Fallout 76 this year: Fallout Worlds. Watch this video to find out everything that this update has to offer for Fallout 76 players. Out now!

naive me thought they added fully functional private servers, and for a moment i even thought this trainwreck might had given me a brief fallout fix.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
As expected, the general consensus among the adult subsrcibers is: "We never asked for this."

:neveraskedforthis:
Understandable. Everyone wanted a private PERSISTANT world he/she/diverse can basically play as a single player game. Where every workshop that was built up stays that way. Sheet, maybe even I would finance Todd half a line of coke for a month of that.
But with progression. Everything else is a pointless waste of time. Well, of course technically the game is a always waste of time, but without progress your brain realizes it easier.

It's like saying: "We heard you like Lambos? Here, everone gets a free Lambo. Well, a ride on the passenger seat for 10 mins. Enjoy!" :hahano:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Funfact: because Bethesda has put in chinese communist ghouls now as enemies in daily ops, the chinese government has mobilized it's cyberarmy the proud citizens of the People's Republic have rallied themselves to review-bomb the game's steam page: :hahano:
https://imgur.com/lDK0E01

Edit: I am too stupid to properly embedd it, sorry.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
As expected, the general consensus among the adult subsrcibers is: "We never asked for this."

Understandable. Everyone wanted a private PERSISTANT world he/she/diverse can basically play as a single player game. Where every workshop that was built up stays that way. Sheet, maybe even I would finance Todd half a line of coke for a month of that.
But with progression. Everything else is a pointless waste of time. Well, of course technically the game is a always waste of time, but without progress your brain realizes it easier.

It's like saying: "We heard you like Lambos? Here, everone gets a free Lambo. Well, a ride on the passenger seat for 10 mins. Enjoy!" :hahano:
Oh wow first 76 gets crucified for being broken on launch, then they get crucified for having the audacity to be friendly to the fluff.
Poor 76 just can't get a break. I hope the devs don't fold.

Didn't FO3 have Chinese Ghouls, and didn't you fight the Chinese in Operation Anchorage?

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet

Fallout 76 needs an equivalent to Garry's Mod, FiveM or RedM. The prospect of loading custom assets and being able to create custom quests or even gamemodes and hosting a persistent server running the F4NV map would be a worthwhile endeavor until OpenMW catches up.

Codex Year of the Donut
Funfact: because Bethesda has put in chinese communist ghouls now as enemies in daily ops, the chinese government has mobilized it's cyberarmy the proud citizens of the People's Republic have rallied themselves to review-bomb the game's steam page: :hahano:

The communists are the reason the Fallout universe is a giant radiated shithole, are they just learning the communists are the bad guys? Bethesda followed Avellone's Fallout Bible pretty well with regards to the lore they actually put into the game regarding the Sino-American war.
Fallout universe minus communists is just Outer Worlds.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

lDK0E01.png

you got to embed the link to the image (https://i.imgur.com/lDK0E01.png), not the link to the web page where the image is shown.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't the Chinese have their own Steam?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom