Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you asked me how it would better re-done, I would make it so that the Mutant Invasions timer only kick in after the Water Chip quest ends. This is because, according to that ghoul guy hiding behind a bookshelf after Necropolis invasion, the Super Mutants are afterFurther, I would engineer a way to make it so that the player can know that timer in-game somehow.
Don't leave me hanging. What are the Super Mutants after?

Saduj

Arcane
The principle and mentality are the same, you monkey. The fact that one makes money and the other doesn't is irrelevant.

No, by definition, they are not the same and it is the nature of humans that they more appreciative towards free offerings. Insisting otherwise makes you obstinate, not right. You've also failed to establish that the mod is "decline" with any sensible arguments, if you really don't know already. Blabbering about the "original vision" is an emotional appeal substituted for actual reasoning. I brought it up jokingly before but it shredded your "argument": Are you truly contending that Ian being a friendly fire nightmare was an intentional feature of the game? Are you truly ignorant to the fact that "original vision" goes right out the window when the bosses say "ship the fucking game so we can make some money on this thing already"? You really don't know that many mods simply exist to fix things that the original developers wish they had fixed before shipping the game? The idea that every game ships in a state that accurately reflects the creator's "original vision" is absurd.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
SUPER.jpg

I'm finally blocked by her. I feel so proud. :salute:

Latro

Arcane
Bugfixes and Quality of Life changes I straight up applaud, because it makes the game just better without little negatives.
Which is understandable, but an engine-port does much more than any of that in scope. Notice how Lilura brings up the criticism killaps' patch suffered from without really panning it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Bugfixes and Quality of Life changes I straight up applaud, because it makes the game just better without little negatives.
Which is understandable, but an engine-port does much more than any of that in scope. Notice how Lilura brings up the criticism killaps' patch suffered from without really panning it.

The good part about most of these mods are, that the extra "subjective" added content and what not, is totally optional, so u dont have to install it. I know there are some questionable things that aren't but... eh, whatever dude.
I love fallout modding, most people are very puristic but still fresh. a mix of both worlds

Silly Germans

Is the Fallout 2 engine actually a completely new engine or simply the next "iteration" of the Fallout 1 engine ?
And how does the Fallout Tactics engine fit into the picture ?

Zer0wing

Cipher
Is the Fallout 2 engine actually a completely new engine or simply the next "iteration" of the Fallout 1 engine ?
Just an "iteration", a really tiny one. The biggest difference is the lack of DOS support in Fallout 2 (lack of dedicated DOS exe). The worldmap traveling speed and encounter chances tied to CPU speed is, on the other hand, no big deal because of oh so dreaded unofficial patches - no one really cared in 1998 because the end result was the same as in F1 at the times, it have become an issue only now.
And how does the Fallout Tactics engine fit into the picture ?
It doesn't.

Black Angel

Arcane
This is cool and all, but what about inserting Fallout 1, 2, AND 1.5:Resurrection into the superior engine iteration of Fallout of Nevada?

Lhynn

Arcane
Purism is retarded.

Mods are absolutely preferrable IF they improve the game only in majorly positive ways with little downsides.

As to the original vision of the game, that's obviously also preferrable, without too much interference with the overall mission and vision of the game itself.
Mechanical changes for the better are hardly ever interferent with said visions.
Jesus christ, i brofisted a fucking dildilos post. Now i feel dirty.

laclongquan

Arcane
I am helping that motorcyclist enthusiast get outta Necropolis before things go tit up.

I wonder what will happen after this so that I can put my paws on that motorbike.

The obvious chain of thought is that we dont buy that bike (2000), and leave him there to be killed on the invasion thus getting it for free.

What will happen if I do it against that route~

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Small PSA -- if your Et Tu installation lacks music in the menu and the starting cave, you should move all files from /Data/Sound/music of F1 installation into corresponding folder inside Et Tu's folder (Fallout1in2\data\sound\music\). Apparently GOG version of F1 has a bit of a different paths, so installer does not copy the music.

Lexx

Cipher
The obvious chain of thought is that we dont buy that bike (2000), and leave him there to be killed on the invasion thus getting it for free.

There's multiple ways to get the bike. If you wait for the invasion to happen, it's going to be the hardest, because you probably will not know what to do.
The item needed to fix the bike is nearby, but if you haven't done it yet / don't have meta knowledge, you will not know this.

If you want to know where it is... be sure to have any energy cell in your inventory and give it to the ghoul.
I'm unhappy with the invasion situation right now, which is why I'll rework it some day in the future.

I am curious about 1.5: How good is it? Does it tell a new story like how the vault dweller set up Arroyo, or is it just a hack of the old game? Is it more like 1 or 2?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It's a brand new story set between 1 and 2. It's pretty damn great and very much worth a couple of playthroughs. Be sure to check Fallout: Nevada too.

laclongquan

Arcane
The F1.5 modders had a very common-thought art direction though, which is to tell a tragedy story and go with it to the end.

Tragedy only sounds cool to a certain group of audience. Normally it depress players and lower the volume of word of mouth.

There is a rarely met game with tragic story and have wide reception.

And contrary to what it is, but Planescape Torment is NOT a tragic story. Weird, huh? But it is very optimistic in a black humour way.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bring back the Water Chip to Vault Overseer. Now it's time for crop rotation in Shady Sands (not enough Science before) and wipe Khans out.

Play F1 in F2 is surprisingly smooth.

EDIT: looking back, I really should take a caravan job from the Hub to Boneyard to get Katja first, then travel manually to Necropolis later. My original route mean I lose Katja for two or three levelup~

The Jinxed Luck2 Gifted Unarmed build is quite... different to play than the shooter build. The crit fail happen quite often, in total, to both my party and enemies. My unarmed combat mean I (and dogmeat) got hit with missed and lose next turn instead of losing ammo or dropping gun. Ian and tycho lose ammo but not yet losing guns. Although we hit a stop on weapon advancement (spiked knuckles) Damn Early. We see more changes to unarmed techniques than weapon~

Big Gun player would get flamers on either the Hub or necropolis. Energy shooter would get plasma pistol on Necropolis. Without a detour to Brotherhood of Steel.

While a detour to BoS fit the story, I am driven to complete the Water Chip because that fucking note on Pipboy harass me to no end, let alone the FMV (the first hit me on arrival to Necropolis).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom