Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

Diggfinger

Arcane
Just got this running - promising!

Not a fan of the resolution-patch, will try to give it a go...

agris

Arcane
Patron
Just got this running - promising!

Not a fan of the resolution-patch, will try to give it a go...
You don’t have to run the game in your native resolution, and shouldn’t. If you’re not comfortable with computers and editing files, try 1280x720.

Divinity: Original Sin
Lexx

So I installed this... main menu image looks like is in low resolution and pixelated. It's completely different to the fallout 1 image. Is there a way to change it? I activated upscaled interface (ddraw.ini), and main menu image looks the same. And why is it deactivated by default, anyway?

Also, what about the ddraw.fo1in2,ini file?

Black Angel

Arcane
agris any plan to create a guide on how to make this looks like it's meant to be at release? I tried just doing it the way it can be done for Fallout 2 and its TC mods (1.5 and Nevada) which was your step-by-step for 1.5, but it didn't work.

Atum

Barely Literate
Everything I've ever posted, particularly in this thread.

You are such a ridiculously pedantic, pseudo-intellectual Baba Yaga asshole I want to bottle you up and sell you as a particularly pungent perfume. You remind me of the most insufferable priests I met in film school, these solipsistic gate-keepers who mistake their own twaddle for 'authoritative' truth. The preciousness of all this is that such priests of good taste never seem to realize how much their nonsense betrays their deep-seated psychological damage. Each post you make only exposes you more. You're like a blood-purity-obsessed mini-Hitler, preening over your own invented totems of authority. Except you have no actual power, so you dig in your heels in increasingly deranged ways to feed your wailing little ego. On one hand I appreciate the hilarity; on the other, sweet fucking Christ, get a life.

Before you resign me to your obsessive 'iggi bin' or whatever, note that I've already resigned you to my 'batshit bin.' Because fuck me, you pollute this forum like no other.

Yes, I reserved my virgin post at the Codex for this crap. But much more importantly, thanks Lexx, et al, for your hard work. I look forward to trying to a new playthrough of Fallout with this. Even if I do dislike it for whatever reason, I can always go back to vanilla for future playthroughs. Either way I appreciate having options enabled by other human beings' hard work, because I'm not a fundamentally broken git.

laclongquan

Arcane
Lexx

So I installed this... main menu image looks like is in low resolution and pixelated. It's completely different to the fallout 1 image. Is there a way to change it? I activated upscaled interface (ddraw.ini), and main menu image looks the same. And why is it deactivated by default, anyway?

A lot of fallout fans like me want to play the game, if not in 640x480, then at least in 800x600. NOT even 1024x768. And playing at such rez have strong clash with interface upscale mod to the level of CTD. So take reference from that Lexx disable it in 1.1.

Lexx

A lot of fallout fans like me want to play the game, if not in 640x480, then at least in 800x600. NOT even 1024x768. And playing at such rez have strong clash with interface upscale mod to the level of CTD. So take reference from that Lexx disable it in 1.1.

I just play it with 1280 x 760. I think it's the best for a 16:9 ratio, as it's doesn't make everything tiny. The thing is the main menu splash image that looks too pixelated, while the fallout 1 splash image is more high res. I don't know/remeber if this is because of steam versions being re-releases by bethesda.

Just to clarify:

Fallout et tu
zdB4Zg1.png

Fallout 1
CUtHI3J.png

Anyway, this is just nitpicking, but I see no reason to use the et tu image. Actually, the problem is the menu option which are too big and pixelated and ugly.

agris

Arcane
Patron
agris any plan to create a guide on how to make this looks like it's meant to be at release? I tried just doing it the way it can be done for Fallout 2 and its TC mods (1.5 and Nevada) which was your step-by-step for 1.5, but it didn't work.
Yeah, once I give et tu a go I'll post a write up and flag you. I replayed Fallout 1 pretty recently with all my homebrew changes and it scratched the itch pretty well, but I'm interested in the new random encounters Lexx has added.

Lexx

Cipher
Just to clarify:

Fallout et tu
zdB4Zg1.png

Fallout 1
CUtHI3J.png

Anyway, this is just nitpicking, but I see no reason to use the et tu image. Actually, the problem is the menu option which are too big and pixelated and ugly.
This is the shitty Fixt main menu that even GOG adapted for whatever weird reason. I loath the hell out of it.
I upscale and remade the main menu to stay true to the original. It does have some more pixels, but also less than using the 100% original 640x480px resolution image. The issue with the main menu interface is sadly due to the shitty engine upscaling that can't be disabled in the High-Res patch.
I still kept my "old" main menu from the beta releases in the files, so if someone knows how to do it, it's easily reverted.

However, tl;dr - players spend 10 seconds in the main menu, so I didn't bother much more with it and I'd rather keep the original look than this shitty shit that GOG is now distributing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, that's not the Fallout 1 menu.

Soon people will come here and tell us how Fallout 1 & 2 should have those Bethesda launchers because that's how they were originally.

Just to clarify:

Fallout et tu
zdB4Zg1.png

Fallout 1
CUtHI3J.png

This is the shitty Fixt main menu that even GOG adapted for whatever weird reason. I loath the hell out of it.
I upscale and remade the main menu to stay true to the original. It does have some more pixels, but also less than using the 100% original 640x480px resolution image. The issue with the main menu interface is sadly due to the shitty engine upscaling that can't be disabled in the High-Res patch.
I still kept my "old" main menu from the beta releases in the files, so if someone knows how to do it, it's easily reverted.

However, tl;dr - players spend 10 seconds in the main menu, so I didn't bother much more with it and I'd rather keep the original look than this shitty shit that GOG is now distributing.

What bothers me is not the image at all, it's the menu letters/options interface. But you're right, it's only 10 seconds one spend if all on the main menu. As I said, it's just a nitpicking thing.

laclongquan

Arcane
You all are not getting it.

The goal is messing with it, not just the result~

I've run through 3 complete runs and 2 more in a short time. I am a little tired of the provided images. I want something new~

EDIT: on a specific note, about the letter of the menu above. The ET TU one is slightly better in term of letter spacing. The other one is designed around the new rez, but the spacing is terrible, making all the letters stick together in a spaghetti block

When you make a bigger surrounding thus making your words smaller in perspective, you need to spread the letter around a bit to make it more readable.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Specific note:

Item Highlight is a good thing in Fallout games. You dont want to miss things hidden in the pixelated background, darkened with malice aforethought~

I dont even want to think why devs ever think pixel hunting is good game mechanism back in the old days of 2000s. The only reason I can think of is that they were young once, proud of their eyesights, and want to boast of it~

The Jester

Cipher
Love it, this was the smoothest playthrough i ever had in fallout 1 like dude i even didn't know that you shuold make Gizmo to speak about assassination, in Fix, he always told me his whole plan when i entered his room.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So I'm just now setting up my FO1-in-2 mod, trying to replicate my homebrewed FO1 setup

Code:
1. Player character is in blue combat armor when wearing Brotherhood variant (HM + HF blue CA)
2. Animated containers (s/t)
3. Flame thrower has longer flame plume (The Extended Flamer Attack Mod) -> incl. bald dude & LHD
4. Mutant & power armor death animations are larger, to match their models (120% Mutant Deaths v1.3)
5. Added Missing running animation for female vault dweller
6. For NPC Mod (NPCs change looks with armor) brotherhood combat armor shows as blue
7. For NPC Mod (NPCs change looks with armor), NPCs use bald dude, long haired dude, ms. punk girl for tycho, ian and katja, respectively
8. STR bonus from PA applied to NPCs when wearing PA
9. Tesla armor normal and explode DR/DT brought up to Metal Armor levels, cost increased from 4500->5250
10. NPCs wearing Tesla armor will have the correct DR/DT, per the changes made in 9.
11. Molotov Cocktail from 8 - 20 to 15 to 30, damage type changed from Explosion to Fire, max range increased from 12 to 20. Cost 50->100
12. Frag Grenade max damage increased 35 to 50, cost 150->250
13. All grenade max ranges increased from 15 to 30, plasma cost increased to 500
14. Super Sledge Swing AP cost increased to 4
15. Cattle Prod AP cost for swing lowered to 3 (same as club), cost increased 600->1250
16. Ripper cost increased 900->1500
17. Added FoT ground graphics for the following weapons:

TBERTSH2.FRM for shotgun
TCATTPD2.FRM for cattle prod
TGRENPT2.FRM for .223 pistol
TCOMKNF2.frm for knife
tcrowbr2.frm for crowbar
TDESEAG2.frm for desert eagle
TGAUSSP2.FRM for alien blaster
THKMSG2.FRM for sniper rifle
THUNTRF2.FRM for assault rifle
TKNUCKB2.FRM for brass / spiked knuckles
TLASERP2.FRM for laser pistol
TLASERR2.FRM for laser rifle
TGATLAS2.FRM for gatling laser
TCOMSHO2.FRM for combat shotgun
TMAUSR2.FRM for 9 mm mauser
TPLASMA2.FRM for plasma pistol
TPLASMR2.FRM for plasma rifle & turbo
tpowerf2.frm for power fist
tripper2.frm for ripper
TSMGSKP2.FRM for 14 mm pistol
TTHROWK2.FRM for throwing knife

And the way I setup FO to render works. The settings below are for 1920x1080 monitors, and will render in fullscreen.

[Graphics]
;Set to 0 for 8 bit fullscreen
;Set to 4 for DX9 fullscreen
;Set to 5 for DX9 windowed
;A DX9 mode is required for any graphics related script extender functions to work (i.e. fullscreen shaders)
;Modes 1, 2 and 3 are no longer supported
Mode=4

;If using a DX9 mode, this changes the resolution
;The graphics are simply stretched to fit the new window; this does _not_ let you see more of the map
;If set to 0, use Fallout's native resolution
GraphicsWidth=1920
GraphicsHeight=1080

;Set to 1 to do the palette conversion on the GPU
;Set to 2 to do the palette conversion on the CPU
;Set to 0 to pick automatically
;GPU is faster, but requires v2.0 pixel shader support
GPUBlt=0

;Set to 1 to allow using 32-bit textures for talking heads
;The texture files should be placed in art\heads\<name of the talking head FRM file>\ (w/o extension)
;The files in the folder should be numbered according to the number of frames in the talking head FRM file (0.png, 1.png, etc.)
;See the text file in the modders pack for a detailed description
;Requires DX9 graphics mode and v2.0 pixel shader support (see GPUBlt option)
Use32BitHeadGraphics=0

;Set to 1 to automatically search for alternative avi video files when Fallout tries to play the game movies
;Requires graphics mode 4 or 5
AllowDShowMovies=0

;Fade effect time percentage modifier
;Default is 100. Decrease/increase this value to speed up/slow down fade effects
FadeMultiplier=100
[MAIN]

; Affects Windows Vista/7/8 and above. Allows hi-res patch settings to be changed without admin privileges
; if installed in the "Program Files" directory.
; When UAC_AWARE=0 the hi-res patches settings will be stored in the game folder as usual.
; When UAC_AWARE=1 the hi-res patches settings will be stored in the users roaming app data folder.
; For Vista this is usually "C:\Documents and Settings\'your user name'\Application Data\Fallout2".
; For Windows 7/8 this is usually "C:\Users\'your user name'\AppData\Roaming\Fallout2".
UAC_AWARE=0

; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=0 to enable Basic mode which supports resolution change only(required for sfalls Graphic modes).
; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=1 to enable Direct Draw 7 mode.
; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=2 to enable DirectX9 mode.
GRAPHICS_MODE=0

; Set SCALE_2X=1 to scale the game x2.
; Note: This will increase the minimum resolution to from 640x480 to 1280x960.
SCALE_2X=0

; Set the Fullscreen resolution here.
SCR_WIDTH=960
SCR_HEIGHT=540

;SCR_WIDTH=1280
;SCR_HEIGHT=720
;SCR_WIDTH=1024
;SCR_HEIGHT=768
;SCR_WIDTH=800
;SCR_HEIGHT=600

; Set the Fullscreen colours here.
; 8 for 8bit colour output (original)
; 16 for 16bit colour output (set only if your not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
; 32 for 32bit colour output (set only if your not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
COLOUR_BITS=8

; Set the Fullscreen refresh rate here.
; Set REFRESH_RATE=0 for driver default.
REFRESH_RATE=0

; Set WINDOWED=1 to enable windowed mode.
WINDOWED=0

; Window size and position data, Do not modify.
WIN_DATA=2C0000000000000001000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0C0100003C000000F60500006C030000D0

; Hi-Res Patch data file and patch folder(Loaded after master.dat)
f2_res_dat=f2_res.dat
f2_res_patches=data\
WINDOWED_FULLSCREEN=0
If you want to play on a multi-monitor setup will fullscreen borderless, change Mode=4 to 5, that's it. None of the other options should change. Then use a program like borderless fullscreen window to actually make it borderless.

Last edited:

Lexx

Cipher
Your music folder is in the wrong place. Don't remember which one it was - either GOG or Steam release moved it to a different place for whatever weird reason.

Not sure what this big list of stuff above is about, but keep in mind that the power armor and super mutant flame death animation thing is already in fo1in2 as an extra mini-mod (and I improved the graphics).

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Your music folder is in the wrong place. Don't remember which one it was - either GOG or Steam release moved it to a different place for whatever weird reason.
I have Steam version. Do you know how to fix this? I tried copying the music from Fallout 1 DATA/SOUND folder to the corresponding folder in Fallout1in2's folder, but it didn't work.

Lexx

Cipher
Check the two music paths in the fallout2.cfg file - they should point to the music folder.

Black Angel

Arcane
Check the two music paths in the fallout2.cfg file - they should point to the music folder.
Like this, right?
[sound]
cache_size=448
debug=1
debug_sfxc=1
device=-1
dma=-1
initialize=1
irq=-1
master_volume=27530
music=1
music_path1=data\sound\music\
music_path2=..\data\sound\music\

music_volume=16009
port=-1
sndfx_volume=26183
sounds=1
speech=1
speech_volume=26782

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom