Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So you start in a cave with 20 rats.
Then you go to Vault 15, and after facing one Radscorpion it's at least three levels of even more rats; the place is literally crawling with rats, and they can do a decent amount of damage: up to 7 HP even if wearing a Leather Jacket.
And there sure as hell is not enough ammo to kill all the rats safely from a distance.

And people complain about Baldur's Gate having trash combat? :lol:
At least in BG you can actually avoid most trash encounters. You can try to sneak in Fallout, but it's not easy when there's wall-to-wall rats in every dungeon so far.

I can't think of any other CRPG that beats Fallout (judged by the early game) when it comes to slow, boring combat combined with boring encounter design.

I think I'll create some big brute with max STR and skill in melee weapons, and start over again, so I can just club (knife) all the rats with one hit. This is just too aggrevating.

BTW, I'm using the Fallout Fxt patch. I played Fallout briefly some years ago, but I can't recall Vault 15 was so choke full of rats.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am kind of surprised that George H.W. Bush, given his involvement in Iran-Contra scandal during his vice-precidency, could still manage to win against Dukakis by a landslide. Do you think the democrats could have chosen wiser when voting in the primaries?

Severian Silk

I was a tactics game n00b when I first played Fallout. So the difficulty and trashiness of the combat were just about right.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
the counterpoint to this complaint is that the fact that early FO has a lot of rats is just another positive point to FO's old skool RPGness. :)

Severian Silk

Matt Barton likes rats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
It starts slow and gives you time to take in the world. Its p. deliberate, underrail has a very similar start on those terms, fetch quests and murdering rats for the first hour or so.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Once you get to the bandit camp (or back after you save the lady who gives you free sex whenever you want it) you will learn the combat in FO isn't about easy trash fights. It is about save spamming and eye shots and never having to come back when you are higher level because you don't need to. Anything is possible with save spamming.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Rats? You complaining about rats, son? Stop being a bitchy pussycat octavius and go play fallout 2 like a real man. You start the game naked with only a spear, locked in a dungeon. You then have to fight shit tons of radscorpions who can rape you in 3 shots. If they don't, then have fun with the poison you drunk Indian bitch. 1 strike, run. 1 strike run. Kite those fags and get your legs blown off by landmines that blend in with the ground.

When your done with that shit, and escape 2 hours later- you then get to spend an hour kitting geckos in fields of acid.

FO1s startup is like FO3- for gay newbs.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Rats? You complaining about rats, son? Stop being a bitchy pussycat octavius and go play fallout 2 like a real man. You start the game naked with only a spear, locked in a dungeon. You then have to fight shit tons of radscorpions who can rape you in 3 shots. If they don't, then have fun with the poison you drunk Indian bitch. 1 strike, run. 1 strike run. Kite those fags and get your legs blown off by landmines that blend in with the ground.

When your done with that shit, and escape 2 hours later- you then get to spend an hour kitting geckos in fields of acid.

FO1s startup is like FO3- for gay newbs.

You make Fallout 2 intro sound pretty badass considering that most players run through it in 5 minutes and probably don't get hit once.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I might as well ask in this thread, does anyone actually enjoy doing noncombat runs of Fallout? What do you even do other than run away from encounters and watch your shitty companions kill shit? I get the appeal of retard runs but pacifist runs seem like the most boring thing possible.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I might as well ask in this thread, does anyone actually enjoy doing noncombat runs of Fallout? What do you even do other than run away from encounters and watch your shitty companions kill shit? I get the appeal of retard runs but pacifist runs seem like the most boring thing possible.

You put on the biker leather jacket and just hit on guys at the bar.

Ash

Arcane
Scurry on back to the game now. Rat trash mobs in excess are RPG tradition!

:grpg:

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yes, Fallout 2's start is even shittier. Shitty enough, actually, that it's not even worth playing.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So you start in a cave with 20 rats.
Then you go to Vault 15, and after facing one Radscorpion it's at least three levels of even more rats; the place is literally crawling with rats, and they can do a decent amount of damage: up to 7 HP even if wearing a Leather Jacket.
And there sure as hell is not enough ammo to kill all the rats safely from a distance.

At least those rats can't instakill you like the gibberlings in the woods can your mage.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw is it like a rite of passage for retards to bash classic games on this forum, Fallout, BG etc?

Agame

Man, look at all these RPG veterans forming the vanguard of all the classics:

Neither of those games are classics but it has become a codextard rite of passage to pretend even the shittiest elements of these games are some of the BEST RPG EXPERIENCES EVER. Used to be completely uncontroversial to say that the temple of trials in Fallout 2 is a stupid, poorly designed shitshow. Now it's holy writ that it's actually the BEST DESIGN EVER. Fuck, even literal popamole like the beginning of Fallout is now beyond criticism to the current crop of empty skulled fuckwits.

Black Angel

Arcane
bethestard.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom