Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Game sure is more enjoyable with a tougher player character and Ian as a sidekick. One of the mods seem to have made the companion AI better, since Ian didn't hit me once and vice versa. Frist time I played Fallout some years ago I quit due to the piss poor companion AI that did more harm than good.

Maybe you should try talking to the rats, OP?

You need the Animal Friend perk for that. Only possible to start with that if you use the right mod.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Rather wreck some rad roaches than ratchet up this retched rat talk.

Going through FO2 with a bare-handed unarmed character - yeah, no knuckles but bare knuckles.
I'm the fist of the Northern (Brazilian) Star!

Ultimately I want Sniper perk, so I don't bother wi More Criticals at all. Better Criticals is nice though.

Sniper uses your luck to add crit chance, so 5 luck = 50%. I think More Criticals stacks.

You make Fallout 2 intro sound pretty badass considering that most players run through it in 5 minutes and probably don't get hit once.

More like a minute and a half at most. Only gotta stop to blow up that passage.
It wasn't such a good idea to give players only melee during the start but that's only a real problem on first run when you don't know where to get a firearm fast. And who the fuck plays a game like that only once? Fags, I say.
I love Fallout's simplistic combat, it's really satisfying. Sounds and critical effects help sell it a lot, of course.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If by trash combat, we mean that you are literally fighting trash, then yeah FO is king.
You fight all the filth of the fucking area eventually

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rats? You complaining about rats, son? Stop being a bitchy pussycat octavius and go play fallout 2 like a real man. You start the game naked with only a spear, locked in a dungeon. You then have to fight shit tons of radscorpions who can rape you in 3 shots. If they don't, then have fun with the poison you drunk Indian bitch. 1 strike, run. 1 strike run. Kite those fags and get your legs blown off by landmines that blend in with the ground.

When your done with that shit, and escape 2 hours later- you then get to spend an hour kitting geckos in fields of acid.

Yes, Fallout 2's start is even shittier. Shitty enough, actually, that it's not even worth playing.
Bro, you're better off sticking to your safe space in poli forums.

Sniper uses your luck to add crit chance, so 5 luck = 50%. I think More Criticals stacks.
They do, also sniper is a very high level feat, by the time you get it you should have already finished the game.

In Fo1 yeah, in FO2 Sniper is conditio sine qua non if you're going to fight Enclave in Navarro/Oil Rig. Your average Enclave Trooper has 200 HP, is armed with pretty much every high-end gun in the game, and uses APA or APAmkII and each one is just as strong and dangerous as your highest-levelled NPCs.

valcik

Arcane
So I decided to just munchkin it, and restarted with a more meele oriented character ..
I'll try to make you regret this:
There's hunting rifle hidden on second floor in V15, along with 50 pieces of ammo + another 50 pieces from the shelf in Shady Sands.
Also, if you ever try Megamod for F2, stay away from Vault 23!
I kid you not.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rats? You complaining about rats, son? Stop being a bitchy pussycat octavius and go play fallout 2 like a real man. You start the game naked with only a spear, locked in a dungeon. You then have to fight shit tons of radscorpions who can rape you in 3 shots. If they don't, then have fun with the poison you drunk Indian bitch. 1 strike, run. 1 strike run. Kite those fags and get your legs blown off by landmines that blend in with the ground.

When your done with that shit, and escape 2 hours later- you then get to spend an hour kitting geckos in fields of acid.

Yes, Fallout 2's start is even shittier. Shitty enough, actually, that it's not even worth playing.
Bro, you're better off sticking to your safe space in poli forums.

Bro, you're better off not projecting your cowardice and ineptitude on me.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Three levels of more criticals and aimed shots using the unarmed special attacks

srs have you seen the critical chance of these special attacks? Its like 40-50%. Did I mention that they're armor piercing? Add three levels of Moar Criticals and I can get to 70% crit chance. Put in better criticals and, in theory, I'm going to be punching through Power Armor.

Yea unarmed is great in Fallout 2, kind of wish someone could retrofit that system back into Fallout 1. The only cool thing in 1 is you can get 1ap punches, cos Fast Shot works for melee/unarmed! Like lightning!!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Managed to kill the entired Bandit Camp Raider Base. Got much more XP from this than bargaining for Tandi. Violence pays.
But really too bad you can't control companions. Ian loves to run up point blank to spear wielding raiders instead of plucking them down from a distance. Also, he refuses to wear the Leather Armour I gave him.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You then have to fight shit tons of radscorpions"

ANTS not radscorpions. Can't you tell the difference?

"radscorpions weren't so troubling."

I must be going cracy but isn't TOT ANTS not radscorpions? HOLY FKKS.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree with OP. Fallout had really shit combat.
I enjoyed it more once I started treating it as more of a PnC-style adventure game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom