Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And people complain about Baldur's Gate having trash combat?
Yes, FO trash encounters are over in an instant, BG trash encounters aren't due to the 6 seconds rule.
BG is shit, deal with it.
I'd say they may take 10-15 seconds or more if you're unlucky. You've got to wait not only to get into combat (sound, interface change). But you must also kill the rat, which may take a turn or two which can total to 5-20 seconds per turn, depending on how many rats are around you and how fast you've got your combat settings. Then you've got to wait for the combat to end (sound, interface change) before the combat encounter is over.

Prime Junta

I have played and re-played Fallout many times. It is one of the very few games that really live up to the "greater than the sum of its parts" cliché.

I do not, however, play it for the combat.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have played and re-played Fallout many times. It is one of the very few games that really live up to the "greater than the sum of its parts" cliché.

I do not, however, play it for the combat.

the combat isn't that bad once you can get your hands on some real weapons

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
I was always sneaking my way way out of vault 13. It didn't bother me very much.
Fallout was the only game that made me flee from random rat encounters (while i was wearing power armor and wielding a plasma gun!) because the combat is damn slooooowwww.

I don't get why some of you people complain about Temple of Trials. It was just a 3-4 minute dungeon crawling for me and radscorpions weren't so troubling. Totally a forgettable part of the game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was always sneaking my way way out of vault 13. It didn't bother me very much.
Fallout was the only game that made me flee from random rat encounters (while i was wearing power armor and wielding a plasma gun!) because the combat is damn slooooowwww.

I don't get why some of you people complain about Temple of Trials. It was just a 3-4 minute dungeon crawling for me and radscorpions weren't so troubling. Totally a forgettable part of the game.
It's p.boring the 35th time you have to do it.

Black

Arcane
Yes, FO trash encounters are over in an instant, BG trash encounters aren't due to the 6 seconds rule.

:retarded:

just going in and out of combat mode takes an eternity
Clearly
bethestard.png
s perceive time differently than not so SPECIAL people.

Prime Junta

the combat isn't that bad once you can get your hands on some real weapons

Problem with the combat is that it swings pretty quickly from tedious and somewhat frustrating to trivial spiced with occasional sudden gory death. Once you have those real weapons and sufficiently high Small Guns, you just go for the eyes every time and hope you won't get critted. Not much tactics or thought to it.

Okay if you have high Agility there are some maps where you can duck behind a corner between shots, but that's about it. (FO2 is worse though, in FO1 it sort of kind of stays under control.)

Wizfall

Cipher
With the basic mods you have an very convenient option to adjust at will the speed of the game by pressing a simple key (F1 to F6 if i remember well).
Just like that you can increase or decrease the game's speed.
I used it in order to complete the temple of trials in 2 min for example.
Also great for speeding up slow moving combat against rats.
I play the rest of the game at +20%/30% speed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura. (PC). The most fun you'll ever have not having fun.

Fallout 2 is the runner-up, and Fallout takes the third spot.
I may agree about Arcanum: its combat is beyond saving.

Fallout 1 & 2 though: no, just no. I've had TONS of fun in these games... also in combat. It's so meaty and visceral. Critical animations and sounds just rock! And I still don't understand why so few games actually implement a table of critical hit effects. It was the best thing since sliced bread. I LOVE combat in Fallout 1 & 2.
Just get some nice weapon and raise your combat skills.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, you are FORCED, to fight every single Rat in your way out of the Vault......... :M

The vault rats in FO give enough XP that it might be worth killing them. Choices&Consequences.

Huh? It's the BG combat that is fast. You can kill a group of low level enemies in a few seconds.

Prime Junta

Fallout 1 & 2 though: no, just no. I've had TONS of fun in these games... also in combat. It's so meaty and visceral. Critical animations and sounds just rock!

Yeah they do but that's the thing though. In my book, good TB combat would still be good even if you just had abstract tokens for the units, with no animations and sounds at all. FO combat without the sounds, animations, and death effects would ... not.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
At least with BG2 the trash fights can be tricky. You are tempted to just fireball them all but if you dont aim it well you kill your own guys and if you dont do it instantly they are all over you and you lost your chance.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura. (PC). The most fun you'll ever have not having fun.

Fallout 2 is the runner-up, and Fallout takes the third spot.
I may agree about Arcanum: its combat is beyond saving.

Fallout 1 & 2 though: no, just no. I've had TONS of fun in these games... also in combat. It's so meaty and visceral. Critical animations and sounds just rock! And I still don't understand why so few games actually implement a table of critical hit effects. It was the best thing since sliced bread.

If you want one on one combat done well, with gory death and criticals, try Aleshar: World of Ice instead.

If there was going to be a fight outside of the vault, it would be rats. It introduces the player to combat. What else should it be, humans? Would be pretty weird to suddenly be expected to kill humans after a life of peace in a vault for 18+ years.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's not really that they are rats, but the sheer amount of them, combined with the boring combat system.

Anyway, I did some experimenting with sneaking. Didn't get any XP for sneaking past all the vault rats. I forgot that I had a thing called Sneak Boy last time I played. Unless I was adjacent to a rat they didn't attack when using the Sneak Boy. I could probably do Vault 15 without having to engage in rat fighting, but the problem is that you don't get any XP from sneaking, and the vault 13 rats are worth half a level, which make them far more valuable targets than the gibberlings at the start of Baldur's Gate.

So I decided to just munchkin it, and restarted with a more meele oriented character, with 10 Agility (for 3 melee attacks or 2 gun shots each round), 10 INT (to get all dialogue options) and 6 CHA (to get Ian), and starting with Melee skill to save on ammo, and Gifted perk for better stats.
Killing the Vault 13 rats went much faster now.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
I usually go melee or unarmed at the beginning to make all the rats an other trash easier, use Fast Shot an One Handed Perk to make sure I hit a lot, which means no sledges or owt but theres plenty on other stuff. Go wi pistols (an spiked knuckles or combat knives) until I get Blade Runner gun, which is best for this build in terms o small arms, then cross me fingers an hope for Alien Blaster encounter an pair that up wi a power fist. Quite fast an furious build, thats not slowed down by crits.

Ultimately I want Sniper perk, so I don't bother wi More Criticals at all. Better Criticals is nice though.

Thinkin about it you could swap out One Hander for Heavy Handed trait an make an initial damage monnster, but you'd need better criticals for higher levels. Then you could use Super Sledge, Red Ryder LE an Turbo Plasma Rifle an build'd be better at range.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom