Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout Tactics (in 2020)

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by StaticSpine, Nov 20, 2020.

1. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Idk mate, I think Tactics is great

- best graphics in the Fallout franchise, like Fallout 2 but sharper, while maintaining the same aesthetic (what Fallout 3 should have looked like)
    - great atmosphere, urban tilesets and detailed hand crafted maps. Different feeling from Fallout but very bleak and haunting
    - great tactical gameplay, turn based, isometric, party based (pure CRPG format). I rank it right next to ToEE and Dark Sun and KotC in this regard
    - Its a pretty long game with serviceable story
    - despite being instanced there is a lot of content, tons of weapons, enemies, feats, party members to choose from
    - music is of course great, great photographic-style portraits too
    - Good UI (better than Fallout 1-2)
    - relatively quick progression which I like

• Brofist x 6
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kalin Unwanted Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Unwanted
    Played it as well this year, had some fun as a big gunner, game turned really boring with the robot slog though. Can't even bring myself to finish it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    wat?
    Silent Storm and X-com can hardly be praised because of their writing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    This is my experience exactly. When robots shows up, game gets boring IMO.

OTOH quite a nice game and very good looking too. Still it's better to play UFO (original one, preferably OpenXcom) or JA2. Lack of destroyable environment is not good.

^ Top  
  5. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    It's a tactical game, not a RPG. Writings simply dont have to be good or cohesive, just functional.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    FO:T?
    Mediocre to decent I guess - p. OK overall.

Pretty nice (if a little bit plastic) visually, workable gameplay.
    Lack of destructible environment is a shame, progression and story are formulaic, doesn't stay true to Fallout's aesthetics and setting in many places.
    Also, FO:T deathclaws look awesome, but I don't think they were supposed to be hairy.
    Why not both?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Yeah the robot arc (final arc) is when it gets boring for most people. I think the game is too long

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    The problem is the lack of Behemoths walking around.

Redux and Equilibrium mod them in greater number and mang, those last missions are hairy as heck.

^ Top  
  9. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    playing any fallout game while skipping random events is like trying to enjoy christina hendricks without her tits. in fact 3 and 4 haven't them.

^ Top  
  10. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    I don't remember much trouble crit clearing maps of mutants with sniper rifle and wrecking bots with jackhammer loaded with EMP shells tbh

^ Top  
  11. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Silent Storm has cool mercs, not quite up there with Jagged Alliance but good enough to be recognizable and memorable. The X-Com research blurbs set the overall tone and characterize the aliums perfectly. Maybe "excellent writing" is going a bit far, but the writing adds to both those games and most other good tictacs games as well, despite not being the focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Riting is still tertiary in those games, even if it's serviceable.

• Artistic Artistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Poseidon00 Arcane

Poseidon00
    Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together is the peak of tactical RPGs and Law Denam is an excellent anti-hero.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    I had fun with it back in the day. Got the game from the old Interplay website along with a few others, all in their jewel cases and shit. It was rad. The game was fun, (at least before you get to the robot missions) especially since I seem to be one of the few people that genuinely enjoys Fallout combat. Graphics are cool, but I do remember the game just being "slow" and would thrash your HDD for no reason. Had fun with the editor too, making my own levels, vehicles and weapons. The latter robot missions are not as fun, maybe because by then I'm usually bored of the game.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The compensation is the 60-80 damage the Gauss Rifle does, which is far higher than in FO2.

^ Top  
  16. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I run it on Win10. Still play it, in fact, but I have modded it to have many more enemies every mission. Some of the enemies even start charging you from halfway across the map when you get spotted.

It aged pretty well for a 2D isometric tactical game. I like it more than some of the wowser 3D crap we get these days (Vampyr, I am looking at you).

Killing robots with a sniper rifle never gets old :D

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Hammer & Sickle ( sequel in time of SS) writings are dry humour, kinda like black humour but not that sad. I dont say it's of best level, but it can worth the adjective "great".
    Silent Storm and SS Sentinels writings are okay. It doesnt have that disctinct HS level of dry humour.

^ Top  
  18. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Considering buying FOT, BTW. Lost my CDs ages ago and never finished.
    Was fun enough though.

^ Top  
  19. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I checked and yeah, true. But its still bad.

Humanoid Bots have 65%, if I remember right (tbf I'm basing off the Robot Recruit). I don't know what's the DT of a Humanoid Bot, could't find it, but assuming its similar to that of FOT Power Armor or FOT APA, then its going to splatter against 13-18 DT or so. Maybe even 20 DT, Humanoid Bots are stupid tough. I'm assuming 13-18 for convenience.

If it does 60 damage, the rifle loses 39 damage against the 65% DR of the Humanoid Bot. Which means, 21 damage left before Damage Threshold is applied. Then its going to hit into 13-18 DT. Which means 8-3 damage.

If it does 80 damage, its going to lose 52 damage against the DR. Which means, 28 damage left before DT is applied. 28 - 13 = 15. 28 - 18 = 10.

Which fits perfectly into my observations in-game: The FOT Gauss Rifle is a useless piece of wood and metal. A far cry from the Gauss Rifle of Fallout 2, a god-slayer weapon forged by Hephastus himself. 2mm EC is neutered in FOT.

Ironically, I suspect the Fallout 2 Gauss Rifle would do better against the Humanoid Bots, because it had decent armor penetration and an excellent damage modifier.

^ Top  
  20. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Not really. The base game is pretty good. Just don't try the higher difficulties. They just HP/armour bloat the enemies and increase their skills. That is not fun, just tedious.

The sad part is that quite a few maps in the game would actually make darned good RPG hubs. Quincy, is a prime example, as is Coldwater. FOT is truly a missed opportunity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Bot armour is similar to Power Armour MkI, or it feels like it. I am not sure here. Just a feeling I get playing the game.

The difference between FOT and FO2 is the fact that critical hits in FOT does NOT ignore armour. In FO2, it does. That is why armour on enemies in FO2 is quite useless once you start aiming for eyes or get the Sniper skill. In FOT, you can do 0 damage vs eye shots on a crit. FOT also did away with instant deaths on crits (plus the Sniper skill is bugged and doesn't work; this is actually due to a typo in the source code, but I digress).

The trick to using small arms vs robots is to aim for the "eyes" and knock them out. Then, close to melee range and use extreme haymaker on them. Extreme haymaker does ENERGY damage. It makes robots explode like you won't believe. It is also the reason to not use melee weapons over unarmed.

EDIT: By the way, 32-43 x 1.5 is still nowhere near 60-80. It is how armour is handled in FOT that makes it seem worse. In my opinion, the FOT way is far, far, FAR better than the FO2 way of handling armour.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I remember rage-uninstalling the game after almost beating some pretty hard mission and getting stuck because:
    Two enemies had died in a tunnel in such a way that their corpses blocked the path and prevented me from progressing.

Good times :lol:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Oh yeah I was almost brought to tears the first time I beat the first mutant mission (Saint Louis I think?) by clearing out the whole map and being loaded with a fuckton of loot only to get stuck because the game refused to tick off the objectives as completed (I think it was because I didnt visit the site with slaughtered BoS squad before I started to attack the mutants and only came to them after the map was cleared which somehow fucked the whole thing up). Took me a while to recover from that and even nowadays I approach this mission with a bit of anxiety.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    That would be the damned lifter robots. Yeah, they can be a freaking pain in the ass as you can't walk through/over their corpses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.