Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

DramaticPopcorn

Nothing wrong with a well-made FPS. Nothing wrong with a well-made FPS in the Fallout setting.
That said, I don't know how the chances for that are considering the "technical heritage".
I just don't believe that Gamebryo can deliever really.

P.S.: seeing all those vehicles moving reminded me of this classic

4NbmOCd.png

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Indeed. And I was a lurker before I made an account. :P

When I read the Wayward Son's post, I was wondering if he meant new as in new Fallout fans; [of FO3, and 4] as ones not understanding the accomplishment. I understand the accomplishment; I've modded FO3 & NV before. I am just no interested in a Fallout themed franken-shooter.

**My modding was mainly trying to correct the previous two games, by making them closer to Fallout 2.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Get back to your retirement home you old geezer and take your pre-historic isometric turn-based shit with you.
rofl1_zpsbkxnfmbd.gif
A silly assumption. One doesn't even have to like turn based combat to still know that FPS doesn't fit in a Fallout SEQUEL. It fits just fine as a spin-off; which is what FO3 & 4 are; though erroneously
[ I'd say disingenuously ] named.

*pre-historic cavalier oblique turn-based shit
That may be true... But it's what Fallout IS, and Bethesda's product is a shameless TES 2.0 dressed in cherry picked names from the Fallout IP ~even where it makes no sense to use them. It's solely for reputation piggy-backing brand recognition.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They're sequels made by the company that owns Fallout. Soon Fallout will be Bethesda property for a longer time and with more titles than when it was Interplay/Black Isle's.

Let it go, it's not 2007 anymore.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
All this supposed enthusiasm for Fallout, and all this work, wasted on making a Fallout-themed FPS. These are not the Fallout fans you're looking for - move along.

I knew something was off about this mod (other than it most likely CTDing every 4 meters).

The trailer is literally "shooting at stuff in elaborate scenarios", there's nothing of interest to the discerning Fallout roleplayer.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
They're sequels made by the company that owns Fallout. Soon Fallout will be Bethesda property for a longer time and with more titles than when it was Interplay/Black Isle's.

Let it go, it's not 2007 anymore.
It already has been owned by them longer than Interplay had it... and they still don't understand it, nor do they care about understanding it... It's just a money making name for them. They would slap it on ANYTHING they thought could sell for it.

As for the Frontier mod... As machinema it looks decent enough; though the sledgehammer scene gives too many hits to a stationary camera.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It was always about money making.
There was a time when developers made games they wanted made ~and hoped they sold. Now it's become "What do we have to do for a buck from these people?". :(

Neither is inherently bad, but I'd call it bad when a studio defaces a famous, established RPG series to sell a hiking shooter.

I had long hoped that the modding community would try their hand at one-upping Bethesda's interpretation of the IP with a total conversion of FO3 or NV that brings it closer to home, but all I've seen is tangent expansions upon it that stray further from premise. :(

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It was always about money making.
There was a time when developers made games they wanted made ~and hoped they sold. Now it's become "What do we have to do for a buck from these people?". :(
Developers with no money who had to go and kneel and beg the company boss to believe in their idea, only for it to be sold to the highest bidder some years later.

Black Angel

Arcane
This a pretty ambitious project, but if I'd rather wait for this
45138-4-1446664604.jpg

if I'm going to fire up New Vegas ever again.

Having said that, I'm far, far more hyped for these
V1lWtA1.png

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

and Mutants Rising (can't find a proper pic for it).

Especially since this
ressurection_1.jpg

were successfully translated and just recently received pretty huge patch.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Indeed. And I was a lurker before I made an account. :P

When I read the Wayward Son's post, I was wondering if he meant new as in new Fallout fans; [of FO3, and 4] as ones not understanding the accomplishment. I understand the accomplishment; I've modded FO3 & NV before. I am just no interested in a Fallout themed franken-shooter.

**My modding was mainly trying to correct the previous two games, by making them closer to Fallout 2.
I was attempting to troll you, lurker.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
:hmmm: Not sure about this but will keep an eye on it.

What will the system requirements be for this mod?

T. Reich

Arcane
I am slooowly starting to reconsider my words regarding the ignore function.

In between this sad thread and the other one in the mmorpg subforum, where a poster starts by saying "i've never played any TB RPG, but Elder Scrolls Online is awesome" .. it's getting kinda disturbing.
Where the fuck do you recent, sad, stupid human wastes come from? And what convinced you you had need of registering here?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I just don't believe that Gamebryo can deliever really.
I don't have a problem with Gamebryo; just a problem with how Bethesda uses it in their FO products. I don't deny the quirky behavior of it, but their custom copy is well suited to an Isometric [3D/ISO style] RPG; but not ideal for a shooter IMO. I admit that I was really looking forward to FO3 [on Gamebryo], before I learned more about the company, and saw just what it was that they planned to release. :(

When I saw what they were visually capable of with Oblivion, I was expecting [Fallout style] conversations with Fallout style Talking Heads, par with the Nvidia tech demo:

...and with combat & exploration visuals that were better or matched the cutscenes in Fallout; but as realtime gameplay. Didn't happen; didn't come close. Their Talking heads used their default combat head models, and their supermutants had less geometry than Harry from Fallout 1. :(
Heads-2.jpg

If Frontier is just a vehicle addon, and otherwise just an NV expansion with a few extra companion tricks... then I can only admire the workmanship; not the goals or intent. FO3 was leaps & bounds off the series' path, and NV was a decent half step back in the right direction, but it was still favoring FO3 over Fallout.
nono_zps06ee6bac.gif

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Maybe I'm being extremely naive, but I always thought that an Isometric Fallout title, at least pixel-based as opposed to polygon-based, had the potential to be modded by all kinds of people. I would have a much easier time drawing new equipment instead of using meshes, textures, and the like.

Of course, this is asuming Bethesda ported FO1 and FO2 to a new engine and made them easily moddable.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe I'm being extremely naive, but I always thought that an Isometric Fallout title, at least pixel-based as opposed to polygon-based, had the potential to be modded by all kinds of people. I would have a much easier time drawing new equipment instead of using meshes, textures, and the like.

Of course, this is asuming Bethesda ported FO1 and FO2 to a new engine and made them easily moddable.
The grafics assets in fallout 1/2 are made from 3D models.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom