Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout

Lumpy

Arcane
I've only played it once, and it's been a while since then, so don't really remember the game all that well. Still, was the game really all that great?

The character system was meh. The Stats were important, and the Perks were okay, but the Skills were bad, by virtue of being useless save for a few exceptions. And a new player was left completely in the dark - surely, one would expect that Medicine and Science would be really skills in a harsh wasteland, much more so than Speech.
The combat was both easy, and terribly boring. Maybe I'm dumb (inb4 yes you are), but was there a better strategy than shooting for the eyes every fucking turn?
And as for the choices&consequences, if we consider the ending slides to be just fluff, was there much more to it? I don't remember the world being particularly reactive.

Discuss!

Cassidy said:
0/10: Lumpy makes a shit troll thread in RPGCodex. News at 11.

npctycho.gif

I'm afraid you might be a little biased good sir

fake edit: Hey, just noticed you're using Tycho, not Cassidy, as an avatar. Please change it, it's annoying now that I know.

/aspergers

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Other than complaints about the combat being boring (I found the death animations entertaining enough that the combat remained satisfying, even if it was just turn based popamole), his review is pretty much spot on.

Lumpy

Arcane
Cassidy said:
0/10: Lumpy makes a shit troll thread in RPGCodex. News at 11.
I'm starting to figure I must be a pretty shit poster given that I haven't made a troll post in a couple of years and people still assume I'm trolling.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Lumpy said:
I've only played it once, and it's been a while since then, so don't really remember the game all that well. Still, was the game really all that great?

The character system was meh. The Stats were important, and the Perks were okay, but the Skills were bad, by virtue of being useless save for a few exceptions. And a new player was left completely in the dark - surely, one would expect that Medicine and Science would be really skills in a harsh wasteland, much more so than Speech.
The combat was both easy, and terribly boring. Maybe I'm dumb (inb4 yes you are), but was there a better strategy than shooting for the eyes every fucking turn?
And as for the choices&consequences, if we consider the ending slides to be just fluff, was there much more to it? I don't remember the world being particularly reactive.

Discuss!
You know, for Fallout 1, this is fairly true. Fallout 2, however, greatly expanded on it and in my view is the better game for it.

I think what really makes Fallout special is that it opened the door for the C&C-heavy, freedom-to-explore, non-linear, multiple-playstyle RPG in an age where combat RPGs were the norm. So it was definitely an innovation in that regard. Fallout 2 simply took that potential and fully realized it.

And then, almost as soon as that door got opened, it started to close again...

By the way, I recently started a new playthrough of Fallout. Have to say, the opening is pretty fucking boring. No points for that. Trying a little different skillset this time. Before on both my playthroughs (for FO1 and FO2) I tagged small guns, speech, and science. Pretty rewarding build. This time my tag skills are energy weapons, traps, and speech again. Is traps a useful skill?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:shrug:

It's no JA2 that's for sure. I don't think it's impossible to have a complex combat system like that (with even better AI), and real quests.
It's orthogonal. But such a game doesn't exist.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
AOD seems to be about as close as you can come with just one controllable character.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Well okay, I guess not in Fallout 1, but it seemed to be in Fallout 2. I love tinkering with computers in pretty much every rpg where I can.

Come to think of it, was I stupid not combining traps with stealth/steal?

Zomg

Arbiter
Lumpy said:

Agreed. I kinda think RPGs have a pattern where they take a grognard stab with all kinds of useless skills with unweighted point buy and then later someone takes the system and pares it down and refines it so the choices matter etc. The grognard stab stage generates new ideas and methods so it's not inherently bad

The combat was both easy, and terribly boring.

Not really easy but atactical. You have to grok the character system for it to really be trivial (like min/maxing for AP etc) which is "hard" for non-spergs. And not really boring but just kinda about the narratives and the gore animations and sounds. Codex don't like to say that 'cause it makes you sound like a retard but that's the actual case. If I hear one more retard talkin about how they love the gameplay of shitty RPG combat (holds teacup with pinky out)

Maybe I'm dumb (inb4 yes you are), but was there a better strategy than shooting for the eyes every fucking turn?

Nope, although other methods are workable.

C&C theory is gayballs

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Dicksmoker said:
Well okay, I guess not in Fallout 1, but it seemed to be in Fallout 2. I love tinkering with computers in pretty much every rpg where I can.

In F1, steal and traps are virtually useless. So is science. Stealth is only useful for pussies who go the speech route and don't wanna fight.

StrangeCase

Educated
Mastermind said:
Other than complaints about the combat being boring (I found the death animations entertaining enough that the combat remained satisfying, even if it was just turn based popamole), his review is pretty much spot on.

You've trolled Fallout fans way more effectively in the past. You having an off-day?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The main problem with Fallout's combat is that critical hits are too weak and there is too small chance for a critical torso hit. It makes fights long and drawn out (boring) with a high possibility of getting swamped and killed with a critical (annoying).
I think that the best thing about the combat are gory animations and critical hit descriptions. They really make it fun. I remember having a lot of fun with groin shots when I played it for the first time.

The eyeshot eyeshot eyeshot bullshit isn't a fault of the combat system but a fault of the character creation system which allows to get extremely high skills very quickly. Fo2 tried to remedy it by doubling the skill cost over 100, but I think that it isn't enough.
I think the cost should double somewhere around 70-75 and should go up before reaching 100. Maybe around 85 with 70 as the first doubling of cost.
Also, even now winning combat usually requires good positioning so that the PC wouldn't be in the line of fire of most of enemies.

Still, the combat mechanics could use interrupts so that popamole would be less like an exploit. Also, it would be nice if it would have a decent AI.
Generally, it's good for what it is - that is for a quickly made ersatz. Which is still a decline - going from a combat system that could easily rival the one of JA2 to something like this.

Mastermind said:
Dicksmoker said:

In F1, steal and traps are virtually useless. So is science. Stealth is only useful for pussies who go the speech route and don't wanna fight.
Stealth is good for isolating enemies. Enemy scripts don't have shouts, so it's possible to fight one enemy at time when using stealth. Hell, they don't even notice gunshot sounds.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Science useless? I guess repairing Glow and getting to the bottom of the FEV-mystery was useless.

Ah, what am I saying, it's Trollmind. Also, 1/10 Lumpy, wouldn't rage again.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Retards gonna derp.

Of course it has those so called C&C. I don't know how they came to be called C&C, though, since they're basically different ways of solving quests. I guess the consequence is the actual possibility to solve a quest a different way, as opposed to parodies like BG where you have choices, but they all lead to the same thing.

Also, there was a pretty big one, which was removed in the patch because of faggots like this:

His Dudeness said:
I liked Fallout 2 better than Fallout because it did not have a time limit.

FeelTheRads said:
Retards gonna derp.

Of course it has those so called C&C. I don't know how they came to be called C&C, though, since they're basically different ways of solving quests. I guess the consequence is the actual possibility to solve a quest a different way, as opposed to parodies like BG where you have choices, but they all lead to the same thing.

Also, there was a pretty big one, which was removed in the patch because of faggots like this:

His Dudeness said:

Agreed.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
GarfunkeL said:
Science useless? I guess repairing Glow and getting to the bottom of the FEV-mystery was useless.

Repairing the glow uses the repair skill, 'tard.

I can't remember if you need science to talk to zax about it, but if you do you could always read a few science books. There's no reason to tag or put points into science, unless you're LARPing.

Tails

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
Is traps a useful skill?
On higher Traps skill you didn't have to worry about suddenly exploding dynamite,. Also Military Base, Glow, Hub Thieves basement and probably Cathedral? had some traps.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
FeelTheRads said:

His Dudeness said:
Not to mention the original plan to have mutants invade in-game towns. Mutant invasion would really fit this game because it feels really weird when towns run out of quests and basically just stand there uselessly.

Tails

Arbiter
There is a mod by Team-X which restores Mutants invasion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom