Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

Declinator

Arbiter
The main mechanic of the game, for my playthrough anyway, was stalking enemies in the brush with a silenced sniper rifle and a bow and arrow. The world was totally open, and you could free camps, kill assassin targets and other such things in whatever order and however you wanted. You'd come across a camp with 8 or so guards in it, and you could kill them all before they even notice anything is happening, if you were good. And if you blew it suddenly it became a lovely open world firefight where you could hide, run or assault in any direction.

Yes, I played with a similar style and it was all well and good...for a while. The same sort of camp appeared again and again with maybe different kinds of enemies but still very much the same. Assassinations? Same thing. It's rather reminiscent of GTA with lots of little things and side jobs to do but while they may be fun at the beginning they soon lose their taste as they start to repeat over and over. And while the stealth was indeed sort of fun in the beginning it was certainly not without its faults what with not being able to drag bodies without the perk and clumsy even with it and the stealth overall is just not particularly engaging as it is a bit simple. The different approaches to taking the camps unnoticed (e.g. the caged animals) also become stale after the first two or three usages.

The combat really just seemed standard and not particularly excellent or unique in any way. The guns were bland and uninteresting and there was also the annoying iron sight that you had to use for proper aiming if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure the game also had regenerating health which needs no further comments.

Popamole means linear, Call of Duty style bullshit.

Popamole means cover-based shooting and not linearity. Usually it should be TPS and there would be some sort of stick-to-cover mechanic in place to be pure popamole as I understand the term.

most AAA fps's do have decent gunplay, but are let down by boring, linear "cinematic" levels.

Most AAA FPS's are let down by cover systems, iron sights, sprinting, regenerating health, AND "boring, linear "cinematic levels."

The core gameplay of FarCry 3, ie the gunplay, the stealth etc. is excellent.

Stealth is excellent in Thief. In Far Cry 3 it is perhaps somewhere between mediocre and pretty good. I think DX:HR stealth was better but perhaps only because of the fact that the levels were more interesting than the endless camps in FC3.

Gunplay, just as far from excellent. Though it must be said that New Vegas does have gunplay that is much worse than that of FC3.

Far Cry 1 gunplay is in some ways better and in other ways worse but overall I'd say the combat in it is better by far though that does not necessarily make it a better game as there were some unfortunate design choices in that game too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Popamole means cover-based shooting and not linearity. Usually it should be TPS and there would be some sort of stick-to-cover mechanic in place to be pure popamole as I understand the term.

People disagree a lot on what popamole actually means around here. I associate it directly with the actual popamole carnival games, which means bopping things on the head as they pop out. I associate that with Call of Duty or Gears, even Mass Effect, where 90% of the time you're funneled down corridors shooting heads as enemies pop out. That's my understanding of the term, based on what it's actually based on.

Far Cry 3 has flaws certainly, repetition being a core one as you pointed out. I got bored of the game 10 or so hours in too, took a break, came back and finished it months later. I don't think it's popamole at all though, the gameplay just isn't like that most of the time. There are some annoying story missions like that, but most of the game is not.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Far Cry 3 has flaws certainly, repetition being a core one as you pointed out. I got bored of the game 10 or so hours in too...
Then why are you arguing? Obviously it's a mediocre to poor game.

Angthoron

Arcane
Aaaaand SJW's already love this game: http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/...t-glimpse-of-far-cry-4-and-its-already-racist

Yes, that is a man using a defiled statue of Buddha as a throne.

Yes, that is an indigenous Tibetan on his knees, (live?) grenade in hand, suggesting subjugation.

Yes, someone at Ubisoft thought this cover design was a good idea.

No, we don’t have high hopes for Far Cry 4.

:lol:
Wow, a villain doing bad stuff, holy shit. :(((((((((((((((((((((((((

Also, after being sufficiently pestered by street peddlers in orange togas, I'd not mind doing all of the above either.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I wouldn't call it racist just yet. When they inevitably have a white hero show up to save the helpless brown people, then it might be a little racist.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Far Cry 3 had it's moments when it remember it was an open world FPS and not a piss poor uncharted/CoD game like it was on a ton of missions. Those popamole sections are so fucking awful when you compare with the open world stuff. I remember having fun placing fire on a marijuana plantation while listening to Reggae to just have my hopes destroyed with:

Hey, there is a huge village for me to explore... what? No? I have to scort this asshole that doesn't wait for me and survive waves of enemies on a certain spot selected by this very same asshole?
Hey, I gonna have to save this hippie retarded guy so he can reach the boat? Wait a minute? I HAVE to use a sniper rifle? And it must be on a specific spot where this sniper rifle gonna be? I can't set any kind of ambush I want?
Okay, artifact hunt, nice some underground fun... wait a minute? It is just a popamolish, shoot fish in a barrel on a linear tunnel until reaching the end? And I have to do this shit four times?
Okay, rescue girlfriend... what? I'm captured on a cutscene then sent on a place where the crazy dude set it on fire, I have to escape the fire then MY character tell the slut to drive and I'm forced to stay on the back shooting with the grenade launcher on porsuing jeeps reminding me that first person Uncharted is even worse than the original.
Okay, let's do some of those outposts, those alarms must be dangerous...what? if the alarm is triggered, they come with two jeeps with four dudes that I can blow up with one rocket laucher shot as soon as they show their face? No refurbished tanks or helicopters?
Okay, let's sneak... fuck, even Arkham city "stealth" sections are more challenging and complex than this. Just go crawling, kill one dude and do awesome QTE to kill other 3 ones nearby. No interesting gadgets, nothing to make the thing more than pure boring exploiting the dumb enemy AI? You can even fucking see enemies through walls, making stealth as fun as filling a tax return form.
Okay, right... I have to kill this dude on a side quest, the catch is that he can't see me but he spawn on some generic place and the thing becomes a game of "let's find where everybody have their backs turned. They spawn only five or so guys to make your life really tough.
Hunting sidequests... go to certain place, in there, will be waiting a bullet spongy version of an animal with a slightly different skin. Revolutionary.
Money... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Let's see how many enemies are going to survive after having my overpowered as fuck grenade launcher with pratically endless ammo and my bow with endless explosive arrows. Those outposts man... they are so fucking hard. Wait? After I conquer an outpost I can reload my grenade launcher in there and proceed to anihilate the next outpost? Cool.
Okay, I can release this tiger/comodo dragon with a bow shot and he will kill AN ENTIRE outpost, that is such a fun option of having a big lizard making you useless.
RPG "skills"... okay, I can get a QTE attack that can murder most enemies with the only requirement is for all of them being on the screen and I get one on a melee attack? I can double my health? Shit, I can make an easy game even easier... this is a really well integrated system and not pointless at all.
Everytime I climb on a radio tower that is a climbing puzzle for retards, I get a free weapon for... reasons. Well, who need money anyway?
This open world must be really something to experience... No? The enemies don't have convoys to be intercepted or big patrols to be attacked? And most outposts are small as fuck and feel samey and repetitive after doing 1/3 of them? And the enemy don't come with serious firepower after you, you gonna avoid them more because they are fucking annoying with their infinite respawn than really posing a threat.

The DLC is much better, they got outposts where you have buildings with multiple levels, some of them can only be reached on a boat or swimming, the side quests got a little more work with them with a few of them really hard to do on stealth mode and there are a few moments like storming a huge damn but as in Far Cry 3 when there is any hint of difficulty (and I'm not talking balls hard difficulty but moderately reflex demanding difficulty) the game reacts with LET'S KILL IT WITH FIRE. Far Cry 3 really left me butthurt, there are a few moments that shine and could be really good material for a good game but no, no, no... Far Cary 3 isn't great at all.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah the main missions kind of sucked most of the time. For me though they were like 15% of the gameplay though, so what I most remember is freeing outposts, assassinating and hunting, the best parts of the game.

Robert Jarzebina

I just see Breivik on that cover

xf4f857d3e.jpg

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Far Cry 3 is a fun version of Skyrim with guns. If you think Far Cry 3 is bloat then it's merely a reflection of the bloat in Skyrim.

Lets hope Far Cry 4 continues this tradition.

Renegen

Arcane
Well according to figures Far Cry 3 has 6 million sales, wow. Definitively Skyrim with guns for many people.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Far cry 2 is terrible, repetitive and a chore to play, even though gunplay is a little fun, but missions had you go from one point of the map to the other side and lots of outposts with respawning AI that would hunt you in hell.
Not at all.

I'm playing the game for a second time. AI is excellent, better than the majority of shooters. Gunplay is tons of fun as well, and the game has one of the best looking open worlds.

Divinity: Original Sin
Far cry 2 is terrible, repetitive and a chore to play, even though gunplay is a little fun, but missions had you go from one point of the map to the other side and lots of outposts with respawning AI that would hunt you in hell.
Not at all.

I'm playing the game for a second time. AI is excellent, better than the majority of shooters. Gunplay is tons of fun as well, and the game has one of the best looking open worlds.

Forgot boring empty repetitive closed open world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom