Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Feargie talks about WotC morality guidelines in NWN2

Jesus was however, an entirely fictional character and as such employed no force psionic or otherwise. If he was considered as real what he employs would be considered magic, though divine magic in terms of d&d. If helm were to heal one of his paladins he is not using psionics but rather employing his own divine magic.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
it wasn't the low hit-dice, it was the fact that he could only equip sandals that lead to the piss poor ac

manco

Novice
Yet his cross did UBER crushing +1 dmg to undead. However, he does have the cursed helm of thorns (bleeding dmg).

Jed

Cipher
Surely the Shroud of Turin had some sort of bonus?
manco said:
Yet his cross did UBER crushing +1 dmg to undead.
I'd say piercing and slashing was what did him in: scourged, nailed, thorned, and a critical hit with a long spear.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
OK, a quote from David Gaider at the Bioware Dragon Age forums concerning this very subject:

I don't know the exact figures involved, but I know we're aiming for an adult audience. Speaking from personal experience, this has taken a bit of adjustment. I am unused to, for instance, making a half-joking suggestion about a possible direction we could take a plot I'm working on... a suggestion that would have seen Hasbro vice-presidents dropping en masse to the floor in apopleptic fits... and getting a shrug and a "hey, why not?" as a response, resulting in me skipping with glee back to my office. I could, however, get used to that.

Tell me, please, that the Hasbro/ WotC content guidelines don't hamper games development when they clearly do.

Cheers
MC

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of suggestion that would be. A path that would be actually evil, and not just evil character saving the world?

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Reading between the lines from my lurkage over there I think mebbe some of the CNPC romances might be a bit more risque than what we've become used to, and there seems to be an unequivocally EVAL plot arc, or "origin story" or whatever the fuck they're calling them.

I've flamed Gaider before here and elsewhere, and his attitude on those forums bugs the shit out of me. However, he ain't a half-bad designer and he can write. I digress, the point is that it seems pretty clear that during the development cycle (perfectly understandable) double-guessing is going on inside the team about what might or might not pass the vanilla Hasbro content filters.

Again, the vibe I'm getting from the forums is that a lot of the Bioware guys really want to prove a lot of people wrong about what they can do with a CRPG that ain't totally console-ish and mainstream. My interest in the project is increasing.

Cheers
MC

Spazmo

Erudite
davidgaider.jpg

This man does not skip anywhere. And D&D or no D&D, I still find romances pretty creepy.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I had a picture of him on my HD where he didn't had the goatee nor the moustache, but I don't recall where I got it from. Anyway, what matters is that I <3 David Gaider, design skills or no design skills.

As for that possibility, Monte Carlo, that sounds interesting, specially considering past Bioware games. I haven't been paying much attention to Dragon Age, unfortunately. Maybe i should try to drown out the memories of Bioweenies and return to the forums.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
I agree with you Spazmo, I find CRPG "romances" pretty odd, both in concept and execution. The Tamagotchi factor irritates me.

My personal hope for DA is that the "maturity" factor manifests itself in plot and story development as well as NPC characterization.

Cheers
MC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom