Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF7 Enhanced Edition coming to Steam?

Black

Arcane
Holy shit, achievements!

DakaSha

Arcane
How has every one of these been remade but 6. Are they waiting until they are on the brink of bankruptcy to release it to save their ass?

hrose

Educated
FF8 is also the one that gives almost total freedom 15 seconds into the game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Freely customization, games never see its like since.

Thank god for that. Only FFVIII die-hard fanboys liked the shit that was the Junction System.

Also, you should play more jrpg. Or read more stories, really. You speak like FFVIII is the first and only jrpg featuring teenagers in a coming-of-age story. It isn't.

It's also just a shitty, poorly written romance between an emo and retard with no personality.

16746fn.jpg
I just realized history repeats itself in shocking similarity.

aris

Arcane
What do you think? After. And yeah, 15 seconds is not quite accurate, but it open up about pretty damn fast, and from there you are free to do pretty much what you want. I don't understand the hating of FF8 either, but then again, it was my first game in the series: I loved the junction system, and its setting and characters struck me as unique, maybe because I hadn't played FF7 before, or indeed, any other FF game.

Actually, I think all of FF8-10, are all good games. FF9 for its humor and also somewhat surprisingly dark themes for its cartoony setting of deep regrets and sorrows which made characters that previously had purposedly been charichatured as one dimensional, to appear both 2 and 3 dimensional towards the end, more than many other games I have played, that comes to mind. I also loved the use of equipment to learn abilities, which could then be made pernament by using ability points. It allowed for a great loot system, maybe the greatest among 8-10, where finding hidden treasures was extremely exciting and could give you abilities well before you were "supposed" to get them. PoE has obviously taken a cue either from this game (most likely), or the game (if any) that inspired it to do this.

FF-10 was the first game for the PS2, and the first game to use voice acting: Actually, almost everything was voice acted: And yes, that voice acting was mostly terrible and annoying. Yes, it is linear, that consists of walking mostly down directed corridors. Yes, some (ok, most) of the characters appeared for large portions of the game as pretty derp. BUT: It has the best combat system I have ever experience, augmented by the deep and complex sphere grid system (another thing PoE has taken from FF), which gave you an immense freedom to customize your character pretty much exactly as you wanted (except for summoning aeons, which only summoners can do, which makes sense with the lore of the game), and it was extremely well balanced and designed too. As for story: I liked it, it is a not-so-subtle allegory of christianity, with the main antagonist through most of the game being called Sin and a group faction called Crusaders sworn to hunt down Sin. It makes for a pretty interesting politically charged world though, and I thought it was genuinely interesting to walk around and learn about the views. And fuck the haters: I think the ending is good. It is sad, not because they use emotion manipulative techniques (they do, playing the achingly beautiful "to zanarkand" theme at just the right time, which the player is well familiar with by then, though that is also the only one, the do not use slow motion for example), but because by then you have really got to know and come to care for the characters. And the cause of it all, which was control being wrested from you by factors outside your sphere of influence, resonated with me, because it's a part of life, like non-smokers getting lung cancer for example. It also does not wallow in misery, but ends on a high note.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How has every one of these been remade but 6. Are they waiting until they are on the brink of bankruptcy to release it to save their ass?

I don't think FF5 has been remade either, which is a shame. It was one of the best Final Fantasies, and the first Final Fantasy that had one of your party members to permanently die (fuck you, "Aerith"). Plus he wasn't a shitty and useless character so it made his death that more horrible. Of course the consequence of that was that your party picked up another female into the group ending up with a party composition of your main character and 2 women and one little girl. :smug:

aris

Arcane

I don't think FF5 has been remade either, which is a shame. It was one of the best Final Fantasies, and the first Final Fantasy that had one of your party members to permanently die (fuck you, "Aerith"). Plus he wasn't a shitty and useless character so it made his death that more horrible. Of course the consequence of that was that your party picked up another female into the group ending up with a party composition of your main character and 2 women and one little girl. :smug:
Whut? The only FF games I know of, that has been remade, are FF 1, 3 and 4 (3 and 4 for nintendo DS)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Also FF2. Point is that they have been remaking the NES and SNES era FF's a lot. For mobiles, the DS and PSP etc. all different versions too and not a port of the same remake, but they never remade the 2 best Final Fantasies of that era: FF5 and 6.

laclongquan

Arcane
Not that. There's no madness-induced monster. Mother come close, but that is only on one guy. The other guys go mad? not because of her but of him. Beside, the female figure make it hard to link with the octopus overlord we know and love.

FF7 is not bad in the apocalypse scene, but its setting is incompleted, undeveloped. The world is a bit too empty., which is inexplicable considering the world in decline not after. FF8's world works because it's post apocalypse

aris

Arcane
Nothing says Lovecraft better than a big eyed spiky haired anime character with a big arse sword and a chocobo....:M
This is what you are afraid of.
2vsor9u.jpg
YOUR FLAWS ARE EXPOSED!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nothing says Lovecraft better than a big eyed spiky haired anime character with a big arse sword and a chocobo....:M

No, but Jenova does.

Jenova_Headless-1-.jpg

Not that. There's no madness-induced monster. Mother come close, but that is only on one guy. The other guys go mad? not because of her but of him. Beside, the female figure make it hard to link with the octopus overlord we know and love.

FF7 is not bad in the apocalypse scene, but its setting is incompleted, undeveloped. The world is a bit too empty., which is inexplicable considering the world in decline not after. FF8's world works because it's post apocalypse

Lovecraft had more than just Cthulhu you know.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FF8's world works because it's post apocalypse

Heh, that's true in a way. Yet it has powerful nations, and sophisticated and fancy urban centers like Deling City and Dollet. It's actually less "empty" than FF7. A very late Fallout-ian conception of the post-apocalypse.

Because they can't make good games anymore they remake the popular 90's ones? Maybe they could do something about the overly shitty translation? Probably not, that would involve actual work. Bah. Fuck Square Enix.

praetor

Arcane
It's ok. If you never played the game then it's ok. Don't need to push it. You won't get any Kodex Kool Kredits here anyway.

i have played it as a kid when it first came out. can't say i enjoyed it even back then. but that's besides the point...

nothing says better "i have absolutely no fucking idea what Lovecraft is all about" than "FF7 is Lovecraftian". nothing. even Quake 1 is more "Lovecraftian" than FF7, and Q1 really isn't "Lovecraftian" at all...

but please, carry on... it's exactly the level of stupidity i've been expecting of the codex lately

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FF7 is not really Lovecraftian in any substantive way, but Jenova does superficially evoke Shub-Niggurath. The game doesn't really tell us enough about her and her destruction of the Ancient civilization to be able to get a good feel for that, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Weaboos derping about art in FF and making retarded comparisons. Surprise surprise.

In before "JRPGs have the best art direction ever".

aris

Arcane
Still butthurt over your darling kickstarter game?

aris

Arcane
Yes. As clearly indicated by my age. I'm still a retarded teenager.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom