Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF7 Enhanced Edition coming to Steam?

Alex

Arcane
Jaesun

da.jpg

Action, Role-playing (RPG)

General RPG Discussion

Is the game listed as an RPG on mobygames.com? Then discuss it here. From the games themselves - such as the latest AAA+ titles to jRPGs, ARPGs, regardless of platform - to discussions about the direction of the industry or RPGs as a whole.​

:balance:

The Cloud being emo came later from the people who were exposed to the shitty Advent Children movie and other FF7 spinoffs first instead of playing the original game. In reality he was just a goofy and shy guy trying to act like he's tough shit.

No, the "Cloud is emo" thing already existed way before AC. I guess it's because people remember more about his emotional breakdowns than his normal behavior.

Squall wasn't emo either, he was just wearing a permanent frown. He doesn't even talk about feelings until he's forced to.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody needs to make a "Deal With It" image with a Great Earth Serpent wearing sunglasses

Hobo Elf

Arcane
When you say Lovecraftian in a Codex context, what we think is

:mhd:

Since Mother is neither, then FF7 is not Lovecraftian. :shrug:

No, that would probably be only you. I know that some people have familiarized themselves with his works beyond Call of Cthulhu which isn't even his greater works, not even by a long shot.

I dunno~ From what they show around here, people only know about his octopus overlord. Given half a chance and some bugger will mumble something about Master of Ryleigh or some shits.

Now you are thinking of hipsters. People who don't even know what the source material is.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
General RPG Discussion

Is the game listed as an RPG on mobygames.com? Then discuss it here. From the games themselves - such as the latest AAA+ titles to jRPGs, ARPGs, regardless of platform - to discussions about the direction of the industry or RPGs as a whole.​
My point was that mobygames listing something as an RPG is a rather bad criteria, regardless of its official status.

aris

Arcane
That is besides the point. The point is, that if it is listen on mobygames as an RPG, then it goes here: Meaning that yes, also BG: DA threads goes here. I also think you will find very few supporters, if you say that FF7 isn't an rpg.

aris

Arcane
Agreed, it is surprisingly deep and somewhat dark themed, that you wouldn't have thought from the art style.

Alex

Arcane
This thread still has a point?! Sorry, I was arguing about side issues because I thought it had already runt its course and people were now just goofing off.

aris

Arcane
Isn't that pretty much what happens with every thread after a while? There are extremely few threads I have seen, where the OP is still being discussed, 5 pages in.

hrose

Educated
What do you think? After. And yeah, 15 seconds is not quite accurate, but it open up about pretty damn fast, and from there you are free to do pretty much what you want.

The cutscene is not longer than FF9 one. It's like a minute? Two max.

Then you wake up in bed, Quistis arrives, brief conversation, walk down a corridor and you're free. Quistis waits outside to carry you to the cavern, but in the meantime you can explore the "town", talk with people, play the card game, go fighting and start experimenting with the draw system before it's even explained, browse the computer system, explore the world map, fighting more, go through the nearby town and locations.

It's as open as it gets.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah. FF7 is a RPG, possessing all characteristics of RPG, made by a developers onlyknow how to make RPG, and been recognized as one from the release day. I know you weaboo-hater try, but this angle of attack is ridiculous.

Anyway, the game flow of FF9 is fucked up. The few times they change to a secondary character point of view they dont document it well, which lead to confusion in reconfiguring.

Plus its Triple Triad card game is really really fucked up. From the simplicity of FF8's we got this abomination... Bah.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you have any recommendations on good jrpgs? I haven't played many.
P3 FES
FF X
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Eternia

You can also play FF IV to FF XII one after another.

Lufia 2 is nice for puzzles

Tactic Ogre.

Also Grandia.

And Atelier series.

FF8 is also the one that gives almost total freedom 15 seconds into the game.

Is that before or after the hour long Intro cutscenes?
Well first you hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd9krEsr-k
Then you discover what would happen when you'd act as idiot and receive a scar on your face, and a big scolding. Then after a simple conversation you are free to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom