Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF7 Enhanced Edition coming to Steam?

Sul

Savant
For fuck's sake, I'm still waiting for sequel of Vagrant Story or at least a spiritual one like FFXII was suppose to be before the PR guys from Square had the brillant idea of adding retarded characters like Vaan and Penelo just to please the younger jap audience. Meanwhile they keep milking old titles or releasing shit like this.
We need Matsuno (Vagrant, Tactics, XII) back, he is the only one that can develop a FF with decent plot that goes beyond "endgy teeneger saving the world" and all that weebo faggotry.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you really want a honest recommendation, not biased with nostagia, then try this

Chronos Cross: much better than Trigger.
Final Fantasy 8: Dont try 7's blocky art style, or 9's messy game flow. 10? Blah.
Legend of Mana: if you are not scared of cutesy anime art style, LoM got one of the most advanced item creation system of all games. Very nice. Plus point is you can lure your GF into play it withyou.
Parasite Eve 2: horror action Shooter RPG. I replay this about 3-4 times. PE1 is abandoned, not good.
Sengoku Rance: I like to say japanese devs is the last hope of RPGgamer nowaday. When Codex splutter indignantly, I stuff this example into their throat.

There. No tinged with nostagia, no attempt to get Kodex Kool Kredits. A honest list.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you really want a honest recommendation, not biased with nostagia, then try this

Chronos Cross: much better than Trigger.
Final Fantasy 8: Dont try 7's blocky art style, or 9's messy game flow. 10? Blah.
Legend of Mana: if you are not scared of cutesy anime art style, LoM got one of the most advanced item creation system of all games. Very nice. Plus point is you can lure your GF into play it withyou.
Parasite Eve 2: horror action Shooter RPG. I replay this about 3-4 times. PE1 is abandoned, not good.
Sengoku Rance: I like to say japanese devs is the last hope of RPGgamer nowaday. When Codex splutter indignantly, I stuff this example into their throat.

There. No tinged with nostagia, no attempt to get Kodex Kool Kredits. A honest list.

Chrono Cross and FF8 are both pretty awful. All the characters are mechanically identical to eachother in both, with almost no unique abilities or attributes. The combat in FF8 is incredibly simplistic and painful no matter how you do it; whether through GF spam (can't fail, totally broken concept) cranking your speed/hp/attack and just mashing attack over and over (requires tedious drawing of some spells, but rapes everything effortlessly) or cycling through low hp characters to use their limit breaks every turn (yay pretty lights). There is nothing in the entire gameworld worht finding. All the sidequests give you entirely inconsequential shit you wouldn't even remember if it had come from a chest in a plot dungeon.

LoM is actually good, in it's own way. Combat gets a bit repetitive though, especially if you have trouble figuring out how to proceed and end up wandering through a dungeon endlessly. The item making system is cool, but you rarely find anything worthwhile (or at least worthwhile to someone who hasn't read 500k text files on the item system) laying around. Everything is very minor upgrades. Fun to explore though just because of how the world unfolds.

Never played Parasite Eve, either of them.

Rance is a fun game. I've played through it two or three times now. More of a strategy/war game than jrpg though.

Chrono Trigger is a fun game because you're constantly finding powerful, relevant unique loot and unlocking new abilities that are also powerful, relevant, and unique. You'll probably end up levelling up even the characters you don't like just because you want to see what skills and combos they have, and you'll explore fucking everything because the last time you did it you found an awesome accessory that cut your spell costs by half. You'll become obscenely overpowered because of this, but you won't care because at least you're obscenely powerful in an interesting way, instead of in the 'my hp just increased by 800% and I can heal to full every turn' kind of way you get in FF8.

Also lol so blocky guys get some DX10 in here right away:

ff7-bg-14.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
Nice try. i wont bother with list the numerous faults in your accusation, though. Just one of each group.

FF8's characters are identical? At first glance, Squall and Seifer are a bit similar. But only skin deep. Seifer is a badassery of a villain, who drop everything he ever know to follow his romantic dream which is being boytoy of an older woman. Squall is a whiny younger brother who pine after his sister/mother-figure. And low sex drive, dont forget that. Because he has an older girl practically throwing herself on his chest and "...". The two cant be more different. Same with other seemingly alike pairs.

LOM's combat is only repetitive if you choose to play one weapon style. Since the game supply twenty quite distinctive ones, I fail to see your complaint.

I dont have much complaint against Trigger other than the fact I only bother with it once, and abandoned about half way in the game. It's hard to see other enthusiams about it. What bore me is that anything Trigger can do Cross can do better. And before you say time travel I will counter with multiverse.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you play any Final Fantasy, play 6 and 7. Both are good games. I'd say 8 and 9 can be good depending on the person, I enjoyed 9 a lot although it doesn't particularly stand out in any one thing.

It's hard to trash 8 because then you end up trashing a lot of things that are present in some form or another in 6,7 and 9, but I'd point to the broken junction system (the excellent possibilities for limitless customisation ends up favouring either a select few obviously overpowered solutions, or endless swapping in and out to make ends meet stats-wise), the time warp deus ex machina that really doesn't make a lot of sense, and generally a weaker story and characters than 7.

laclongquan

Arcane
Roll for Kodex Kool Kredit: 1. Critical Fail!

Time warp doesnt make sense because it, basically, is not sense. You think the minor time warp in disc 1, 2, or 3 are senseless, I invite you to think of the critical time warp and power transference of Ultimecia--Matron--Rinoa. If you want to criticise that, you can do all day and never touch the point.

Weaker story than 7? That's what you think! In 8 you got a world post apocalypse, with ruins of previous civilizations dotting the landscape, with disntinctive cities,towns, villages serve critical functions. In 7 the jarring gap of technology between Midgard and other towns or cities make no sense, not enough cities towns to build up a believable landscape, not enough background to make a complete picture, unlike 8.

Characters? I say each game has its own point in that. 7 trump with terrorists' cell, you cant even say guerrila fighters because it doesnt seem to enjoy grassroot support. 8 got a slightly weaker hand of mercenary orphanage, kinda like a modern day fighting Templar/Hospitaler order.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, I can't believe I'm actually about to defend Final Fantasy 7. Because, fuck that game. Its full of the proto-cliches that basically ruined JRPGs for me: the plot is nonsense, the character design is godawful, the villain is, quite frankly, incredibly boring. I could go on.

But the thing is, Final Fantasy 8 is worse. The combat system is broken to the point where the only real way to challenge yourself is to intentionally gimp your characters. The plot is stupid; it's a nonsensical mess about time travel, possession, and the power of friendship. The characters are pretty much all idiots, and most of them are insufferable anime cliches. I don't think I liked anything about Final Fantasy 8, and that's pretty sad considering I can point to at least one part of FF10 that I liked even though that game pissed me off way more.

Also, Chrono Cross is nowhere near as good as Chrono Trigger. It was still kind of fun in its own right, but Chrono Trigger is just a much, much better game.

LOM's combat is only repetitive if you choose to play one weapon style. Since the game supply twenty quite distinctive ones, I fail to see your complaint.
You're a bit of an idiot, aren't you.

For people wanting to sample the genre, I'd actually go back and play FF1, and maybe the PS1 port of FF2. They're both pretty fun games, and surprisingly complex considering they came out on the NES. I don't have much experience with the Dragon Quest games but I'm told they're good too.

Finally, I don't want to parrot games other people are recommending, but I personally love Seiken Densetsu 3 (also known as Secret of Mana 2) and I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For people wanting to sample the genre, I'd actually go back and play FF1, and maybe the PS1 port of FF2. They're both pretty fun games, and surprisingly complex considering they came out on the NES. I don't have much experience with the Dragon Quest games but I'm told they're good too.

I still enjoy FF1 a lot, but I find it hard to complete it due to its grindy nature. You have to grind a lot for exp and money so you can afford the obscenely expensive equipment, spells and items you need when you delve into the next dungeon because the game is pretty challenging. But if you can overlook the grind then it's a good, fun game.

Dragon Quest is good too. Very quirky. Plot wise the series starts out pretty generic, which is to be excepted, but they quickly start twisting tropes early on in the series, although it still does remain the old "bad ancient evil, kill" plot. It doesn't really matter which DQ you pick up and start off with since they are all pretty decent and gameplay wise pretty much the same. My personal favorite is DQ5 for the DS.

Tigranes

Arcane
On plot a lot of it's down to small differences - the FF8 world is just as much an idiosyncratic series of oddly exotic hamlets as FF7, but I felt early-game Midgar was really quite superbly done in comparison to the Gardens, and the Zack/Cloud ambiguity is much more interesting than the timewarp & orphanage business. But it can be personal preference, too.

FF8 is good as well and it's one of the first RPGs I played - there is a lot of interesting stuff to find in the world like every good FF, triple triad is a very good minigame, and there are some cool scenes like the landing in the harbour with the Nobuomusic - but I felt like the Junction system promised infinite customisation and ended up either in a set of very obvious overpowered strategies or endless swaps in the menu screen to keep all the relevant numbers afloat, the expanded GF system isn't great either. So on gameplay (that is, combat) I prefer FF7, though of course, FF5 is king there.

thesoup

Arcane
Ok God fucking dammit.
This is all you need to know about Final Fantasy 8 and onwards. You can thank me later.

FF X
FF VIII

Also keep in mind that FF 8 is a completely retarded version of 7 which is the retarded down syndrome infested step cousin of 6.

This is the ultimate list of jRPG's you may want to play:
Chrono Trigger
FF 6
FF 4
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (2)
Radiant Historia
Golden Sun (2)
Battle Ogre Tactics
Disgea

And maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe FF Tactics for GBA. Actually, I played all of these on hand held consoles.
Don't bother with anything else, for it is complete shit.

For what it's worth, I played all of these in the past 4-5 years as I never had a console as a child. Now let's relocate this thread to a more fitting subforum.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Roll for Kodex Kool Kredit: 1. Critical Fail!

Time warp doesnt make sense because it, basically, is not sense. You think the minor time warp in disc 1, 2, or 3 are senseless, I invite you to think of the critical time warp and power transference of Ultimecia--Matron--Rinoa. If you want to criticise that, you can do all day and never touch the point.

Weaker story than 7? That's what you think! In 8 you got a world post apocalypse, with ruins of previous civilizations dotting the landscape, with disntinctive cities,towns, villages serve critical functions. In 7 the jarring gap of technology between Midgard and other towns or cities make no sense, not enough cities towns to build up a believable landscape, not enough background to make a complete picture, unlike 8.

Characters? I say each game has its own point in that. 7 trump with terrorists' cell, you cant even say guerrila fighters because it doesnt seem to enjoy grassroot support. 8 got a slightly weaker hand of mercenary orphanage, kinda like a modern day fighting Templar/Hospitaler order.

Ohohoho... butthurt weaboos fighting each other. This is what the Codex is about.

aris

Arcane
Ok God fucking dammit.
This is all you need to know about Final Fantasy 8 and onwards. You can thank me later.

FF X
FF VIII

Also keep in mind that FF 8 is a completely retarded version of 7 which is the retarded down syndrome infested step cousin of 6.

This is the ultimate list of jRPG's you may want to play:
Chrono Trigger
FF 6
FF 4
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (2)
Radiant Historia
Golden Sun (2)
Battle Ogre Tactics
Disgea

And maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe FF Tactics for GBA. Actually, I played all of these on hand held consoles.
Don't bother with anything else, for it is complete shit.

For what it's worth, I played all of these in the past 4-5 years as I never had a console as a child. Now let's relocate this thread to a more fitting subforum.
Have you tried The world ends with you? One of the game I enjoyed the most, while I had a DS, even though it does push every stereotype of angsty teenagers in it.

By the way, about the reviews: "It's entirely possible that I hated FF8 so much, that it forever coloured my perception of every game in the series since then", all that needs to be said, I think. Although pretty funny!

thesoup

Arcane
Have you tried The world ends with you? One of the game I enjoyed the most, while I had a DS, even though it does push every stereotype of angsty teenagers in it.
I have. It's... unique, but I quit about half way through because of some shitty "you must set x and y as fashion trends to be able to leave this area". Shame because the game was a breath of fresh air otherwise, even if slightly clusterfuck-y.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Chrono Trigger is a fun game because you're constantly finding powerful, relevant unique loot and unlocking new abilities that are also powerful, relevant, and unique. You'll probably end up levelling up even the characters you don't like just because you want to see what skills and combos they have, and you'll explore fucking everything because the last time you did it you found an awesome accessory that cut your spell costs by half. You'll become obscenely overpowered because of this, but you won't care because at least you're obscenely powerful in an interesting way, instead of in the 'my hp just increased by 800% and I can heal to full every turn' kind of way you get in FF8.
This is one of the reasons I like Chrono Trigger so much - it's just a straight up smartly-designed game. The way that it actually makes the new abilities you unlock relevant by throwing powerful bosses at you (all of them have a "trick" to defeat them that usually requires an ability you have at that stage), or the way it lets you explore on your own and side-quest around to unlock new stuff, often with variable rewards based on your attention to clues in the game world (such as the endgame treasure boxes or saving Luca's mom), really pushed the JRPG genre forward in my opinion. It's hardly the longest or most challenging game, but it's just very rewarding to play because it sets up situations for you to discover things and doesn't insult your intelligence in the process.

I don't play a lot of JRPGs at all, granted, but Chrono Trigger is by far my favourite and one of the few that doesn't just feel like a ride from cutscene to cutscene fighting random encounters along the way.

Monad

Learned
@Sea-

Chrono Cross has all of that as well.

I'd like to also point out that increasing HP by 800% (an exaggeration) and reducing mp costs by half is sooo different right? lol:bravo:

Damned Registrations

Ok God fucking dammit.

FF X
FF VIII

This one in particular. If you've never played FF8 and are seriously considering it, you have to see this shit.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2007/04/05/final-fantasy-viii-review-part-2/

I mean, you can try to describe this shit with words, but it doesn't do it justice. How is that not the most awful gameplay in the history of gaming? And it actually gets worse than that because you'll have to do that shit to bosses who are actually in danger of killing you every few turns.

The hp thing is not an exaggeration at all. Junctioning the higher level cure spells combined with +% hp abilities will literally bring you from 1000 hp to 9000. It's fucking retarded. And you'll be able to do this on every single fucking character provided you grind for it. You won't just stumble across some sudden boost that makes you elated to have found it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Grind-Draw is for idiot. Low to middle rare spells can be get from item conversion, items which are pretty easy to get in many way: buy, easy loot from certain monster, card change. You only have to grind draw rare spells, and that is not even very time consuming, you need 300 for your three character, which take about an hour. The time consuming part is find the correct spawn battle. If you are too much an idiot to play the game properly, it;s no proof that the game is bad. I repeat, grind draw to get even Firaga is for idiot, let alone for Fire.

I fear you have to find other reviewer. This stupid idiot shit for brain is obviously trying to trash the game. Since he's an idiot, it's a painful effort to watch/listen.

aris

Arcane
As far as I can remember, you don't actually HAVE to spend time grinding draw. By they way, I'm convinced now that I have to get ahold of chrono trigger, and start playing it again.

Damned Registrations

Oh yes, instead of grinding drawing, you can grind battles, to get AP, to unlock abilities to change items/cards into spells, then grind for items/cards, which might require grinding for more abilities to get said cards and items...

Fuck you. That shit is maybe slightly more efficient IF you're playing with a fucking guide and know exactly what items are obtained from what enemies/cards and where to get all of those. If you don't, you'll encounter a boss or enemy with a new spell, have no idea how useful said spell is or if you'll find it anywhere for the next 6 hours, and basically be forced to draw out 300 of the fucking thing on the spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom