Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF7 Enhanced Edition coming to Steam?

laclongquan

Arcane
Oh yeah. You really dont have to do it. Get the item, convert, done. The middling rare spells are more than enough to get the job done. It's just some people really like to collect the whole set, so the idiots are tearing their hairs out to do it.

You could grindtrain to super powerful before you leave the first island but only idiots do that. For one thing it's much easier doing it much later, doing right then would be masochist of first order. For another, from a powergamer point of view, it's not efficient in so many way. For a third, it would be pretty pointless.

FF8's combat system is so retarded that anyone defending it should be banned immediately. It would be like Fallout giving you a free power armor and gauss rifle if you stood in front of the first rat in the game for an hour. And standing in front of enemies for an hour is the only way to get the power armor and gauss rifle. And 99% of the game is combat, where without the gauss rifle and power armor every fight would last 5x as long. It's the epitome of bad jRPGs where the game difficulty is dependent on nothing other than how much of your time you like wasting on grind.

Before Laclongquan corrects me and says that you can actually do it in 50 mins through retarded and unintuitive sidequests that require you to follow a game guide, let me point out that he's a moron.

aris

Arcane
THat's pretty exaggarated, and also pretty wrong. And even if it is bad, it miles and miles better than fallout's. So the analogy is strange.

circ

Arcane
THat's pretty exaggarated, and also pretty wrong. And even if it is bad, it miles and miles better than fallout's. So the analogy is strange.
0/10

Because that had to be sarcasm or a troll right?
Maybe it's the big selection of weapons you get to use or something, the targeting system or the perks, but I've never minded Fallout's combat.

aris

Arcane
I'm absolutely dead serious. In FF8 you have a range of interesting strategies and options open to you that revolves around party based quasi-turn based combat, where you can make yourself stronger to the particular methods of fighting of the enemy you fight, or exploit their weaknesses, when you find out about them: It even required you to do this to a large degree with many monsters. And even with a grind draw option, that is still pretty good.

In fallout you have turn based combat with one person, and already there you have pretty much eliminated all inherent tactical advantage of TBC, on top of that you have precisely two options open to you: Move, or use gun on man.

But I digress. THis thread isn't about fallout.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm absolutely dead serious. In FF8 you have a range of interesting strategies and options open to you that revolves around party based quasi-turn based combat, where you can make yourself stronger to the particular methods of fighting of the enemy you fight, or exploit their weaknesses, when you find out about them: It even required you to do this, to a large degree with many monsters. And even with a grind draw option, that is still pretty good.

In fallout you have turn based combat with one person, and already there you have pretty much eliminated all inherent tactical advantage of TBC, on top of that you have precisely two options open to you: Move, or use gun on man.

But I digress. THis thread isn't about fallout.

Srsly - to an extent it's a matter of personal preference of combat style. I could envision an implementation of Final Fantasy-style combat that would be more :obviously: than Fallout's combat - but I don't think FF8's is it.

It's theoretically interesting but derpy in practice.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
FF8 is pretty stupidly easy. I was hitting for 2.5k and pretty much one shotting bosses about halfway through disk 1. And I only looked at a strategy guide to see what the multipliers for various spells were so I wouldn't have to waste time on useless shit.

Let me be clear. I think the junctioning system could have been really interesting. Between using various types of magic to increase stats, resistances, etc, and AP unlocking different abilities on your GFs, there's a lot of potential for interesting gameplay, experimenting, etc. Unfortunately actually GAINING magic requires a lot of grinding no matter what, and it's also completely trivial to break the system. If I had to suggest a fix, I would probably make magic permanent instead of quantity-based, so you only have to draw once per character and there's actually a reason to use spells. That would pretty much eliminate grinding. The balance would also need to be fixed, with combat either being much harder or the best spells not being available until much later.

Come to think of it, something would need to be done to make leveling matter, because as-is the system basically gives you no reason to level up and actually kind of penalizes you for doing so.

I don't know why I'm arguing about FF8 in the first place. FF6 is the best game in the series; just play the DS version of that.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm absolutely dead serious. In FF8 you have a range of interesting strategies and options open to you that revolves around party based quasi-turn based combat, where you can make yourself stronger to the particular methods of fighting of the enemy you fight, or exploit their weaknesses, when you find out about them: It even required you to do this to a large degree with many monsters. And even with a grind draw option, that is still pretty good.
FF8 has its roots in traditional JRPG combat, which traditionally emphasizes finding and exploiting enemy element/status weaknesses. It's been a staple of the Final Fantasy series since the beginning. As I've said, though, you don't even need to do that because the junction system takes about an hour to completely break and trivialize the entire game. Then all the options basically come down to summon GF (hope you like cutscenes!), melee spam, or limit spam. But you won't even end up doing that except against bosses, because you'll have the Enc-None ability by disk 2. Sure sounds like a complex, fun, challenging, and tactical system to me.

Oh, and Selphie can use FullCure (or whatever it was called) on the entire party for her limit break. Limit breaks are incredibly easy to trigger. That pretty much sums up the combat system.

Movement is a huge part of tactical combat you retard. Also, aimed shots, inventory access, switch weapons, reload, loot bodies, and more shit I'm probably forgetting. All of those options can be useful in combat. I've looted stimpaks before to avoid dying in the middle of a firefight. Also, even using the best weapons and armor in Fallout, it's possible to die. I don't think I died once in FF8. Making every battle meaningless sure is fun.

aris

Arcane
If you didn't grind FF8, which I didn't, then you pretty much needed to use the full plethora of abilites and spells to protect yourself and to inflict maximal damage on many of the bosses, in order to beat them.

I know moving is a huge part of combat, I just don't consider running around taking podshots and reloading to be very tactical. In fact, I can't remember a single fight in fallout 1, where the following is not the case: 1) You are underleveled/your build is wrong and can't beat the guy, no matter what, because you have a very limited set of options open to you. And all the aimed shots in the world, switching of weapons and reloading is not going to help you 2) your level is ok, and you beat the guy with running around and shooting. Now admittedly, aimed shot is the one thing that makes fallout's combat just a tad bit tactical, but I can't really remember it making a huge difference.

aris

Arcane
Well, this was certainly a very productive discussion. *back to FF*.

Inbefore Ulminati claims I'm working for square enix.

aris

Arcane
Didn't really give me any more insight. Just a bunch for random people saying r00fles at some point in their post.

*edit* Ah, I think I get it now. He's not (as it seems to me) a bioware hater, while I am not a blizzard hater. Well, makes sense.

aris

Arcane
1307920884001.jpg
thesoup pls​

aris

Arcane
hwat makes volourn stand out you

wELL DUHH ITS HIS CAPACITY FOR REASONABLE DISOCURSE dIPSHIT!! nOT THAT THE fukken DUMBASSES HERE ON THE CODEX EVEN KNOW WAHT THAT IS...HAHHAHAHA!!!
While that statement is very true and reasonable, Volourn isn't nearly as ignored as me, which also automatically means that he can't hope to compete with my intellectual prowess and ability to have a reasonable discourse: Only prosper can.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
he can't hope to compete

Well, there's filling in and then there's replacing, the latter of which I find quite unlikely for someone of volourn's distinct personality. Put it this way: consider yourself an amazon recommendation to the Volourn experience, both an alternative and a possible supplement.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
No, he just hasn't been strutting his stuff as much as he used to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom