Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF7 Enhanced Edition coming to Steam?

laclongquan

Arcane
99% of combat? Noob never play it and want to get KKK? Bah. And devolve to badmouthing me? Humbug!

As it's a Square game, it must devote 5% for cutscenes. 15% for dialog, you know, talking and shit. And 30% for running all over the place, poking your nose in the trash bin and stuff, aka exploration. Even in prison-dungeon, with the limited people to talk to, you still fight only 70% of the time.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i don't get it. so instead of raking in mad money by just givig in and making a remake for ps3 or whatever they remake the pc version? am i high? why doesn't the cylinder fit into the round hole? what the fuck is going on?
now that's not even funny.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Guess that that FF4 to 6 are on the menu after I finish Wizardry I to III.

Maybe I'll even do FF7. :bounce:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
What? FF4 is the worst JRPG I've ever played, play fucking Pokémon or something else instead.

Monad

Learned
"The hp thing is not an exaggeration at all. Junctioning the higher level cure spells combined with +% hp abilities will literally bring you from 1000 hp to 9000. It's fucking retarded. And you'll be able to do this on every single fucking character provided you grind for it. You won't just stumble across some sudden boost that makes you elated to have found it."

That's the whole point of the junctioning system.

Monad

Learned
Yeah, a dumb point. Actually it wouldn't be so bad if they bothered to balance it somehow.

It's the same principle behind the materia system or the system in FF9 where you gained abilities from equipment, although it was much more customizable than 9's system at least.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh. I barely remember FFX-2, but I don't remember the job system being particularly good. I think it required a shitload of grinding for the more obscure jobs, and only having three party members made it pretty limiting since one character has to be the heal bitch.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Was FF12 really worth playing? I've heard some people recommend it, but don't know why.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
i don't get it. so instead of raking in mad money by just givig in and making a remake for ps3 or whatever they remake the pc version? am i high? why doesn't the cylinder fit into the round hole? what the fuck is going on?

Square has said that a remake of FF7 with modern graphics is pretty much impossible. They said that to completely remake a game of that caliber they'd have to spend the amount of money it costs to make them 4-5 games. Square also mentioned that they got away with a lot of things that you couldn't do in modern games now due to stricter PC policies so you'd have to expect them to cut out content.

Many people think a FF7 remake would rake in mad money, but the truth is that it would most likely end up costing them more to make it.

Grimlorn

Arcane

Square has said that a remake of FF7 with modern graphics is pretty much impossible. They said that to completely remake a game of that caliber they'd have to spend the amount of money it costs to make them 4-5 games. Square also mentioned that they got away with a lot of things that you couldn't do in modern games now due to stricter PC policies so you'd have to expect them to cut out content.

Many people think a FF7 remake would rake in mad money, but the truth is that it would most likely end up costing them more to make it.
How does that even make sense? Would they put the whole thing in CGI and remake every part of the game from scratch? I just figured no game developer would want to spend their time remaking a game like FF7 with updated graphics because there wouldn't be anything interesting to develop. It's not the same for the older FF games that they can just port for the most part.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

How does that even make sense? Would they put the whole thing in CGI and remake every part of the game from scratch? I just figured no game developer would want to spend their time remaking a game like FF7 with updated graphics because there wouldn't be anything interesting to develop. It's not the same for the older FF games that they can just port for the most part.

If you want a FF7 with modern graphics then SE would have to remake it from scratch. Remake the whole game.

oh it sure would rake in some crazy money, more than enough to cover costs imo. But I think it's more like the risk-reward is not that good looking since enhanced ports are still free money, and people still gobble up new FF titles (13 was not a massive success but didn't completely flop either).

It would be funny if they were saving Super Final Fantasy 7 Turbo Hyper Fighting HD Remix - The New Challengers as a last resort, in case they are in danger of going belly-up and need a new Final Fantasy 1 to save the company.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
play fucking Pokémon or something else instead.

I remember a time when "play/watch/collect/whatever pokemon" was considered a dire insult. What irony that a whole generation of weeaboos are now clogging our intertubes, waxing nostaligc about their pikaboos and turtlezaps and whatever the fuck those mutant squirrels are called.

Grimlorn

Arcane
If you want a FF7 with modern graphics then SE would have to remake it from scratch. Remake the whole game.
I don't want a remake. It's just it doesn't make sense to me that it would cost 4-5 times more to remake it than to make a new game. I get they would have to remake stuff, but it would be mostly cosmetic and they already have the world and areas created, same with the story, combat, enemies and characters. It just sounds like they would need more people on art redesigning everything than actual developers. If they did remake it, I'm guessing, there would be a cinematic every 15-30 minutes that was 5 minutes long.

aris

Arcane
*edit* Ah, I think I get it now. He's not (as it seems to me) a bioware hater shill, while I am not a blizzard hater shill. Well, makes sense.

Fixed for justice.
Reported for brofist harvesting. (Nah, it's cool)
Was FF12 really worth playing? I've heard some people recommend it, but don't know why.

I tried it, but could never get over the first fight where I learned of the abomination that was the fighting system. That had pretty much just thrown out all (pseudo-)TBC that defined FF, and replaced it with an MMORPG-like combat system.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

aris

Arcane
Hey, I got fisted twice today, hive drone.
28arvw5.png
:kfc:

and as everybody knows, it's all about the fistin'

Hobo Elf

Arcane

oh it sure would rake in some crazy money, more than enough to cover costs imo. But I think it's more like the risk-reward is not that good looking since enhanced ports are still free money, and people still gobble up new FF titles (13 was not a massive success but didn't completely flop either).

It would be funny if they were saving Super Final Fantasy 7 Turbo Hyper Fighting HD Remix - The New Challengers as a last resort, in case they are in danger of going belly-up and need a new Final Fantasy 1 to save the company.

I heard that FF13-2 was a huge success when comparing sales to the development time and cost to make it.

I don't want a remake. It's just it doesn't make sense to me that it would cost 4-5 times more to remake it than to make a new game. I get they would have to remake stuff, but it would be mostly cosmetic and they already have the world and areas created, same with the story, combat, enemies and characters. It just sounds like they would need more people on art redesigning everything than actual developers. If they did remake it, I'm guessing, there would be a cinematic every 15-30 minutes that was 5 minutes long.

Goes to show how little you know about game development then. Compare FF7 where all the 3D models had like 10 polygons to modern days where 3D models can have from anywhere between 13 000 to 30 000 polygons.
Try to think how much development costs to make a simple corridor based RPG like FF13, now try to imagine a much more open ended, a much more expansive game like FF7. That game was big with content. Saying shit like "but they have the game ready, they just need to make the graphics better" shows how you know nothing. They have to reprogram the whole shit from the ground up as well.
Like I said, everything needs to be redone. Script needs to be fixed, new models need to be made, music needs to be rerecorded again unless they want to use the same MIDI shit again and the game has to be programmed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom