Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Perkel, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Jacob All Men Are King Kong Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Also, Squall is an annoying whiny emo teen, which I think is the only main FF series protag that fits the cliche. But if I were him, I'd probably be an emo too, considering the retarded people around him. Quistis, for example, she's retarded enough to go back all the way through a sewer just to apologize to Rinoa, in the middle of a mission.

^ Top  
  2. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I just replayed FFVIII for the first time in many years a few months ago, and I found Squall was only insufferably emo/angsty/whiny for the about the first half of the game. After that, he is actually a pretty believable pseudo-optimistic/realist character. Not defending Square's choice in protagonist on that one at all, but just saying.

As for IX, it was definitely my favorite of the PSX era of Final Fantasy and I'm kind of looking forward to the PC port. Especially with some re-balancing mods thrown into the mix. It's a nice time to be a PC gamer.

^ Top  
  3. Jacob All Men Are King Kong Patron

Jacob
    Yeah, true, and I think we're not supposed to like Squall for his emo-ness. Problem is, everyone else is also retarded, which makes it hard to get the point across (That Squall is shit and he needs to grow up and all that). Even more confusing, everyone else being retarded is also intentional (At least that's what I like to think), that the point of their character is that they also need to grow up. In the end we got a story about a bunch of teens (Which seriously looks to old to be 17, seriously, I thought Irvine is in his late 20s when he first showed up) that's shown to be retarded in the beginning, and grew up through the course of the main story by... I don't remember, mostly because they got the revelation that they were all raised in the same orphanage, I think.

So, yeah, the story is a cluster.

^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Well, FF7-10 are all rites of passage stories, basically. 8 just made it particularly explicit with the school / orphanage trajectory.

^ Top  
  5. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    I love the FFIX soundtrack but wasn't the soundtracks for VII and VIII mangled in their PC releases? I haven't played them myself.

^ Top  
  6. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    FF7's soundtrack should be mandatory listening for every human born.

^ Top  
  7. Bahamut Arcane

Bahamut
    They where ported them to bad quality midi's and ff7 final boss music had broken choir

^ Top  
  8. Silly Rabbit Learned

Silly Rabbit
    ^ Top  
  9. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    So tomorrow?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  10. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  11. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I think they misinterpreted the purpose of that disclosure page. It just lists all licenses of SDK/plugin/whatever the Square Enix team used during the development.

FF VI also has similar (if not same) disclosure page: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/documents/SteamPluginDisclosureFFVI

^ Top  
  12. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Will they include a way to skip the movies? The PS1 version required you open the disc bay and shit to do so (obviously not possible here), but was essential to low in-game time which was needed for a certain bonus item.

^ Top  
  13. Bahamut Arcane

Bahamut
    In android version movies are skippable

^ Top  
  14. While it's nice they're porting some of their old games to PC, it'd be nice if they actually sunk some moonbucks into these releases and put the work into properly updating them. Here we have essentially a 2016 release and it runs at 4:3 aspect ratio. I mean really? Couldn't redo the 2D backgrounds? Lazy fucking cashgrabbers.

^ Top  
  15. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    The only reason the pc is getting all these Japanese games is because the cheapness of the ports.(considering selling even 30-40 k is considered a success it tells you all you need to know about the quality of the port.)
    Not a single japanese executive would green light these ports if the cost were higher even by 20 percent.

^ Top  
  16. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Now that it's on PC, modders will rip it apart and stitch it back together in new and imaginative ways we never thought possible. Final Fantasy is a very popular series, after all.

^ Top  
  17. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I bought it for £10.24 from GMG. I'll give it a go later. Backgrounds are supposed to be crap. Character models and loading times are supposed to be good.

^ Top  
  18. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Have fun catching 99 frogs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I heard this even has point and click movement option. :o Suppose it came from the touch interface of mobile version, but it's an improvement anyway.

^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't forget Chocobo Hot & Cold!

^ Top  
  21. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    ^ Top  
  22. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    This is actually a localization issue. Squall is way more chatty / personable in Japanese. The localizers couldn't be assed to translate all that dialogue.

Every time Squall answered with "..." or "Whatever..." he actually had dialogue there that was cut.

Some examples:
    http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    ^ Top  
  24. Jacob All Men Are King Kong Patron

Jacob
    Abraham can you leave a brofist for this informative post?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    감사합니다

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.