Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Jinn

Arcane
I just replayed FFVIII for the first time in many years a few months ago, and I found Squall was only insufferably emo/angsty/whiny for the about the first half of the game. After that, he is actually a pretty believable pseudo-optimistic/realist character. Not defending Square's choice in protagonist on that one at all, but just saying.

As for IX, it was definitely my favorite of the PSX era of Final Fantasy and I'm kind of looking forward to the PC port. Especially with some re-balancing mods thrown into the mix. It's a nice time to be a PC gamer.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, true, and I think we're not supposed to like Squall for his emo-ness. Problem is, everyone else is also retarded, which makes it hard to get the point across (That Squall is shit and he needs to grow up and all that). Even more confusing, everyone else being retarded is also intentional (At least that's what I like to think), that the point of their character is that they also need to grow up. In the end we got a story about a bunch of teens (Which seriously looks to old to be 17, seriously, I thought Irvine is in his late 20s when he first showed up) that's shown to be retarded in the beginning, and grew up through the course of the main story by... I don't remember, mostly because they got the revelation that they were all raised in the same orphanage, I think.

So, yeah, the story is a cluster.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, FF7-10 are all rites of passage stories, basically. 8 just made it particularly explicit with the school / orphanage trajectory.

Starwars

Arcane
I love the FFIX soundtrack but wasn't the soundtracks for VII and VIII mangled in their PC releases? I haven't played them myself.

Bahamut

Arcane
I love the FFIX soundtrack but wasn't the soundtracks for VII and VIII mangled in their PC releases? I haven't played them myself.
They where ported them to bad quality midi's and ff7 final boss music had broken choir

GrainWetski

Arcane
So tomorrow?

gtrgjdT.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
According to Square Enix, the PC version of Final Fantasy 9 will require the use of Android plug-ins, specifically Android Support Library, Android SDK plug-ins, and even several Google Play Games plug-in. This has lead many to believe Final Fantasy 9 won’t be a direct port of the original PlayStation version, but will instead be a port of the mobile version that was released earlier this year.

I think they misinterpreted the purpose of that disclosure page. It just lists all licenses of SDK/plugin/whatever the Square Enix team used during the development.

FF VI also has similar (if not same) disclosure page: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/documents/SteamPluginDisclosureFFVI

deuxhero

Arcane
Will they include a way to skip the movies? The PS1 version required you open the disc bay and shit to do so (obviously not possible here), but was essential to low in-game time which was needed for a certain bonus item.

Bahamut

Arcane
Will they include a way to skip the movies? The PS1 version required you open the disc bay and shit to do so (obviously not possible here), but was essential to low in-game time which was needed for a certain bonus item.
In android version movies are skippable

A user named cat

While it's nice they're porting some of their old games to PC, it'd be nice if they actually sunk some moonbucks into these releases and put the work into properly updating them. Here we have essentially a 2016 release and it runs at 4:3 aspect ratio. I mean really? Couldn't redo the 2D backgrounds? Lazy fucking cashgrabbers.

flyingjohn

Arcane
While it's nice they're porting some of their old games to PC, it'd be nice if they actually sunk some moonbucks into these releases and put the work into properly updating them. Here we have essentially a 2016 release and it runs at 4:3 aspect ratio. I mean really? Couldn't redo the 2D backgrounds? Lazy fucking cashgrabbers.
The only reason the pc is getting all these Japanese games is because the cheapness of the ports.(considering selling even 30-40 k is considered a success it tells you all you need to know about the quality of the port.)
Not a single japanese executive would green light these ports if the cost were higher even by 20 percent.

Now that it's on PC, modders will rip it apart and stitch it back together in new and imaginative ways we never thought possible. Final Fantasy is a very popular series, after all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought it for £10.24 from GMG. I'll give it a go later. Backgrounds are supposed to be crap. Character models and loading times are supposed to be good.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I heard this even has point and click movement option. :o Suppose it came from the touch interface of mobile version, but it's an improvement anyway.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I just replayed FFVIII for the first time in many years a few months ago, and I found Squall was only insufferably emo/angsty/whiny for the about the first half of the game. After that, he is actually a pretty believable pseudo-optimistic/realist character. Not defending Square's choice in protagonist on that one at all, but just saying.

As for IX, it was definitely my favorite of the PSX era of Final Fantasy and I'm kind of looking forward to the PC port. Especially with some re-balancing mods thrown into the mix. It's a nice time to be a PC gamer.

Also, Squall is an annoying whiny emo teen, which I think is the only main FF series protag that fits the cliche. But if I were him, I'd probably be an emo too, considering the retarded people around him. Quistis, for example, she's retarded enough to go back all the way through a sewer just to apologize to Rinoa, in the middle of a mission.

This is actually a localization issue. Squall is way more chatty / personable in Japanese. The localizers couldn't be assed to translate all that dialogue.

Every time Squall answered with "..." or "Whatever..." he actually had dialogue there that was cut.

Some examples:
http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Also, Squall is an annoying whiny emo teen, which I think is the only main FF series protag that fits the cliche. But if I were him, I'd probably be an emo too, considering the retarded people around him. Quistis, for example, she's retarded enough to go back all the way through a sewer just to apologize to Rinoa, in the middle of a mission.

This is actually a localization issue. Squall is way more chatty / personable in Japanese. The localizers couldn't be assed to translate all that dialogue.

Every time Squall answered with "..." or "Whatever..." he actually had dialogue there that was cut.

Some examples:
http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart
Abraham can you leave a brofist for this informative post?

Jinn

Arcane
So has anyone checked this out yet? Should we wait until a background resolution mod comes out? Does it have silly touch screen HUD?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom