Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Perkel, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    You don't lack any nostalgia.

jRPG were always simple combat system games with usually shitty story. What they got right was "journey" as in group of people traveling across land doing some neat things. But that journey was heavily based on art design and graphics of the game so most of those really don't shine anymore. There are some good jrpgs but overall whole genre is garbage.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. I've heard complaints about the FFVI remake, which sucks because it's my favorite.

^ Top  
  3. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Look at screens and weep. It's one of my favorite games of all time and I refuse to buy mobilePC version.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Dreed Bremsstrahlunged Patron

Dreed
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I was just about to replay the game, so I tried this, here are some screens from the beginning of the game, and from the end with a previous save:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got 100% on the first try, my years of training with QTE in shitty games have finally paid off!

[​IMG]
    I remember the effects of flames on the candles here (and in the rest of the game) being misplaced when this version came out, I don't know if it was fixed with a patch or with this mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice artifacts around those columns :M

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks less prosperous than what I feared, and the horrid new music is thankfully optional, so I'll keep playing with the mod.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Honestly, on the balance of it all, PSX1 version emulated seems the way to go. I would actually have paid for the Switch version if they put in even minimal effort, but it seems like with music bug, the UI, input lag, etc. it's a fucking Beamdog job.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Ehhh, no. Backgrounds are still going to suck. Emulation generally sucks for games sporting pre-rendered stuff (imo).

At the moment original PSX played on a CRT still supreme.
    PC Version with mods second (with the potential for first if UI and that damn music loop ever gets fixed. Though I can live with the second more thanks to the random encounter toogle)
    Emulated PSP/Vita version third.

Mobile shit and every other modern port dead last.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Sukhāvatī a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī Patron

Sukhāvatī
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    I fucking hate Zidane. Garnet should have hooked up with Lani.

Use CRT filters. They make the game look much better in my experience. Of course an actual CRT is the way to go, but the CRT shaders really hide the uglyness.

You lack nostalgia for not playing it as a kid. I don't think it is a coincidence the only JRPGs I "like" are the ones I played as a kid. Final Fantasy IX may be singlehandedly the game I'm most nostalgic about: it was my first RPG, back when I was about 12. Sure, I completed Final Fantasy VII later (I remember putting down the game after seeing how awful the character models were compared to FFIX's), but Final Fantasy IX is still my favorite title when nostalgia gets in the way.

^ Top  
  12. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Or wear glasses like these, similar effect.
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    (Certain) CRT filters are great and they do wonders, especially on pixel art, but they don't do shit to improve displaing low resolution prerendered art on a high resolution display. Its still going to suck.

^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I was actually leaving aside original PSX, since that's a pretty bothersome step for those who haven't kept their setup around for whatever reason. But sure. The point is that they really fucked up the ports.

^ Top  
  15. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I fucking thrive on the FF series, but I just could not buzz of FF9.

Don't get me wrong, it's OK. It is a perfectly serviceable and fine FF game. But it just bored me to play.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    To be fair comperativly to all of Squares other ports FFIX was actually one of the better ones
    (Improved charachter models, at least a bit of effort put into backgrounds, new engine and so on)
    But thats nowhere near a compliment. That just shows how broken a lot of Square ports still are (and were never fixed) when they should be the definitve versions of each game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Honmestly compared to fan favourites of IV, VI, or VII I find IX to be most enjoyable overall experience.

Loved the characters, loved the characters having unique skill sets, loved the theme, loved the art in general.

Steiner is still one of the better side character in the seris IMO, such a simple and genuine man.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    IX is absolutely fantastic, and I would argue stands up really well over time.

VI & VII are obviously great in their own way, but they - and of course VIII & X - are very juvenile to experience now. Where VIII or X in particular come across as pimpled teenage fanfics, IX has more of a medieval fairy tale feel to it (despite the whole "female heroine with their own pop song" thing they were pushing at the time) that really remains charming.

Gameplay wise it also manages to sensibly mix the best of the PSX era systems.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Naraya Prophet

Naraya
    So I have no idea if it was already mentioned but I just found out about this thing: https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/install

I have completed FF9 using an emulator so I didn't particularly care for the "remastered" version but from what I saw it was a jarring hackjob. This fan mod looks great though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Yeah it got mentioned, but it got an update/rework recently so thanks for reminding. Remastered was so-so (new charachter models were decent to say the one good thing), but it did port the game to PC and made extensive modding possible.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Not really. You can't actually mod to fix any of the game's (like animation speed and ATB speed independently) or the remaster's (menus that run at 15fps, mobile battle ui that takes 40% of the screen) issues.

The prettier backgrounds are cool to see once in a playthrough, but after that run I'd rather just play the PSX original any day of the week.

^ Top  
  22. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    I don't like the upscaled backgrounds. The originals are meant to be realistic, the upscales look as if they were paintings at times. Like TheSentinel said, just play the original or emulate it.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Well there's the scale mod. But I get you, should have just said that there's a pc version and certain modding in the first place.

Nope. They were always more like paintings. (Edited) AI Upscale actually comes pretty close (As close as you can get without waaaay too much work)

Original Art before psxification

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Hmmm. I guess it wasn't anywhere near as noticeable on a CRT.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    • incline x 6
    • Friendly x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.