Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - New Remasters of Final Fantasy I-VI

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, apparently they fixed "bugs" that made FF4 easier: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173800/announcements/detail/3399673054966923300

Ver.1.0.2 Update Contents
Bringing you the main content of the update.

■ Alterations relating to battles
*Fixes to a bug where enemy action speed would become slower than originally intended in some situations.
*The length of time taken before the first action is made has been reduced for both allied and enemy characters.
*The amount of EXP received from enemies has been slightly reduced overall.

There is a possibility that the above three changes will make battle difficulty feel slightly harder than before.
We are very sorry to make updates that affect the overall game balance in this way, but they are intended to fix bugs to bring the game’s behaviour closer to how it was originally intended, and also to allow new players to experience the game in the best state possible.
Thank you for your understanding.

*The enemy item drop rates have been adjusted so that rarer items are now dropped more frequently.
*Some flying enemies have been animated to hover up and down in the air.
*A visual effect was added where the screen flashes if an allied character’s attack scores a critical hit.
*The time taken when transitioning between screens after escaping from battle has been reduced.

■ Alterations relating to maps and events
*Alterations have been made so that weapons and armour are sorted into attack (or defence) power order within their type category when using the auto-sort function on the menu screen.

*Changes have been made so that the mini map is immediately displayed in the top right of the screen after moving to a new map.
*The default cursor position when selecting to stay at an inn has been changed to the “yes” option.

■ Bug fixes
The following bugs have been fixed.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that these issues may have caused.

<Battle related issues>
*Battles would sometimes not progress correctly under specific circumstances.
*Some enemies would act unnaturally under specific circumstances.
*Sometimes odd actions would be initiated when using auto-battle under specific circumstances.
*The “Reflect” effect would sometimes inflict more damage than intended on the enemy when multiple characters reflected magic back at them.
*The “Cover” ability would trigger against some attacks that did not inflict damage or for “Petrified” allies when in a near-death state.
*Cecil would trigger the “Cover” ability when equipped with the weapon “Avenger” and in a “Berserk” state,
*Sometimes an allied character in the “Confuse” state would behave unnaturally when performing certain actions.
*Sometimes the effect duration for the “Stop” status would not be updated with overlapping applications of the same status.
* Sometimes the countdown for “Doom” would slow down.
*”Security Eye” and “Searcher” enemies would use “Alert” as a counter against “Steal”.
*The enemy skills “Diamond Dust” and “Tsunami” were more powerful than originally intended.
*Sometimes the graphics for defeated enemies would not disappear under specific conditions.

<Map and event related/ other issues>
*Depending on scenario progression, it could become impossible to travel to the Underworld on the Enterprise.
*Sometimes some event scenes would not display properly under specific circumstances.
*Some text was not displayed in a suitable manner.
*Some graphics were not displayed in a suitable manner.
*Under specific circumstances character behaviour and graphical presentation would act unnaturally.
*Some BGM and SFX were not played correctly.
*The playtime information for some of the music tracks on the Music Player was incorrect.
*Sometimes it would become impossible to proceed after transitioning to the Monster Bestiary map screen under specific conditions.

Fixes to other minor bugs.
Further updates are planned in future.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Finished FF VI PR. It was pretty fun and entertaining and I love the new remastered soundtrack...it's nice that they were not limited to the sound chips of the snes or gba. Dancing Mad sounds awesome! The new sprites look and feel faithful to the original. BTW, Celes sounding strange in the opera was intentional according to Nobuo Uematsu because she is a general not a singer. I'd have liked to see some optional super bosses from the gba but it's not a big deal. The font has been updated recently so it's more legible and there's still the font mod for the snes version if you prefer that. Anyway, I would say it's the definitive version of the game and recommend it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That's always something I have issues with, EXTRAS not added. Add, the GBA stuff or some from other versions and suggestions + bugfixes. Try to make your remaster the ultimate definitive version (esp considering the price).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Updates to FF3: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173790/announcements/detail/3365897960933372968

Ver1.0.4 Update Content
Bringing you the main content of the update.

Alterations relating to battles
  • A visual effect was added where the screen flashes if an allied character’s attack scores a critical hit.
  • The time taken when transitioning between screens after escaping from battle has been reduced.
  • The command “Row” is now no longer selected when using auto-battle.

Alterations relating to maps and events
  • The controls when flying The Invincible have been changed so the cancel button now lets you descend (return inside the ship). This has been changed to prevent overlap with using the confirm button to go over mountains.
  • The controls have been changed so that the Z key (LT button etc.) can also be used to talk to a guest character when one is accompanying the party.
  • It has been changed so that information about locations it is no longer possible to travel to due to story progression can now be checked on the world map when using “Sight” or “Gnomish Bread”.
  • Alterations have been made so that weapons and armour are sorted into attack (or defence) power order within their type category when using the auto-sort function on the menu screen.
  • Changes have been made so that the mini map is immediately displayed in the top right of the screen after moving to a new map.
  • The default cursor position when selecting to stay at an inn has been changed to the “yes” option.
  • The waterfall graphics on the world map have been altered to make them look more natural.

Bug fixes
The following bugs have been fixed.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that these issues may have caused.

Battle related issues
  • There were situations where progress became impossible under certain conditions when using actions such as "Raise” or similar that have revive type effects to instantly kill enemies that split or multiply.
  • Sometimes the notice “Couldn't steal...” would be shown when trying to steal a second time from an enemy that had already been stolen from once. This has been fixed so the notice will now always show “Nothing to steal!” instead.
  • The effect of a Knight’s “Guard” ability would also trigger for “Petrified” allies when close to death.

Map and event related/ other issues
  • After a Scholar had used “Alchemy” in battle, sometimes the same effect would also trigger when using items from the menu screen.
  • Some armour did not sort into the correct defensive power order on the equipment menu screen,
  • Sometimes some event scenes would not display properly under specific circumstances.
  • Some text was not displayed in a suitable manner.
  • Some graphics were not displayed in a suitable manner.
  • Some BGM and SFX were not played correctly.
  • Sometimes it would become impossible to proceed after transitioning to the Monster Bestiary map screen under specific conditions.

Fixes to other minor bugs.
Further updates are planned in future.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
:necro:

I completely missed the release of these editions back in the day because I haven't really been paying attention to FF or JRPGs in general. But I was reminded of FF1-6 because I recently started playing some of my old GBC and GBA ROMs on Android emulators to have something to play on my phone or tablet. It never really occurred to me how many old consoles and handhelds there are for Android (including PSP, which I've never owned or played), but it's pretty cool to have an alternative to mobile games or mobile ports with changes that we don't want, like in FF1-6.

Quite besides the many problems with the mobile ports and Pixel Remaster versions, it seems that buying all the games on Steam or the Play Store would set the innocent consoomer back by about €75, which is crazy. So it seems I had the right idea with emulation. And using the handheld ports as a basis, I can explore some things like real FF4 instead of the easy "FF2", and FF6 with the more accurate GBA translation (although Woolsey's SNES translation will always be etched in my memory from messing around with the SNES emulator back in the day).

For the SNES games, the GBA ports seem to have the best of all worlds: staying true to the original, while also fixing bugs, making QOL improvements, and adding bonus content. However, they also tend to increase the brightness to compensate for the lack of backlight, and compress the music. There are patches available for this that restore the SNES music and colours.

I messed around with FF4 on GBA for a bit, then today I did some research and got into the rabbit hole of different versions, ROM hacks, etc. and which versions are best. This guy has a whole range of videos on the topic, I'm embedding the FF6 video as an example:

Based on his videos and some other reading, I'm trying to find the best versions to play for each.

FF1: already finished this on both NES and GBA, so I don't really care. Probably GBA, although I remember it being rather easy with the MP system instead of the charges. Maybe PSP?
FF2: probably also GBA or PSP, so as not to have the action-cancel bug and the levelling system that rewards you kicking yourself in the nuts. Shame really, because the GBA version also seems to be on the easy side.
FF3: never played this on any system, so I'm lost here. Seems to me that other than the Pixel Remaster version, the only option is the (translated) Famicom version or some variety of the 3D remake, which is obviously quite a bit more involved than just a port. Funny how this is the only game that doesn't have a big variety of 2D versions, but instead it has 3 discreetly different versions altogether.
FF4: GBA patched? PSP version actually looks pretty good. Why can't all mobile ports be like this? (I'm leaving the 3D versions outside of the equation here)
FF5: GBA patched probably gets the nod as well.
FF6: GBA patched with SNES colours and sounds, or SNES with GBA translation. Not sure how something like Sabin's Blitzes with diagonal buttons will be doable on a mobile touch screen, but we'll get there when we get there.

These days I don't really have the patience to emulate old FF on my desktop anymore, but I also don't care to spend money on the Pixel Remasters that seem to be poorly implemented. Emulating the handheld ports seems to be a good solution to just play casually on the train or plane or whatever.

Casual Hero

Augur
I've been thinking about playing the NES Final Fantasy, because the Pixel Remaster didn't really leave me feeling fulfilled. Unlimited gold, probably over-leveled, and I didn't stop to think about combat even once. Final boss could've been beaten on auto.
unknown.png

Are there any new options for things like turning off the mini-map in the corner now?

Jinn

Arcane
Like I said back then: you didn't actually play Final Fantasy 1. If you want to play Final Fantasy 1, play it on NES, or the PSX version.

All the poor souls who played these abominations as their introduction to the early entries and think they played the actual games...

Yuber

Novice
I just finished FF6 on SNES.
I think it looks much better than the pixel remaster, I don't like the menu's and character sprite from the PR.
Now I wanna replay FF 1-5. I like the extra content from GBA version but I don't feel like playing on small screen :(

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ff6 on SNES is amazing. While the GBA version added in some great stuff and fixed translation issues, it doesn't outpace the original.

It's still the greatest FF game of all time.

Yuber

Novice
Like I said back then: you didn't actually play Final Fantasy 1. If you want to play Final Fantasy 1, play it on NES, or the PSX version.
Do you know if the PSP Version is true to the original too?
I only found this wiki and it only list 1 gameplay change:
  • Gameplay changes - The "Defend" command has been added for battle menus, and cutscenes can now be skipped.

Jinn

Arcane
I honestly don't know, but I would assume it's at least better than the pixel remaster version. I always stayed far away from it because I find its art direction to be hideous.

index.php

Arcane
  • Gameplay changes - The "Defend" command has been added for battle menus, and cutscenes can now be skipped.
The PSP version is based on the dumbed down GBA version.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Yuber
If you want to play the best looking version of FF1 that actually plays like FF1, just play the PSX version on the normal difficulty level. It's basically the NES/FC version with bugs fixed and no other changes. There's no reason to even consider other versions imo.

Yuber

Novice
Yuber
If you want to play the best looking version of FF1 that actually plays like FF1, just play the PSX version on the normal difficulty level. It's basically the NES/FC version with bugs fixed and no other changes. There's no reason to even consider other versions imo.

Ok, will do thanks.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If anyone has played the series to death and somehow hasn't heard of them yet, I recommend looking into the randomizers. I had a blast fooling around with the FF4 randomizer with various settings. I already got the story, so strip it out and make me fumble my way through finding party members and loot I need to defeat bosses in a random order and navigate the world in a unique way. Good stuff. Way better experience than these remasters if you're looking for a nostalgia trip.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
http://ff4fe.com/make

You'll need a particular rom to be modified by the patch produced by the randomizer, resulting in a uniquely hacked rom with all the various changes you selected. Character locations, duplicates, chests, boss locations, key items, variously levels of balancing around those from total randomness to reasonable progression, tons of other options like enabling commands from the original japanese version, enabling/disabling various glitches, creating sidequests of which some or all need to be completed to complete the game or acquire a powerful reward, hints and spoilers... there's just too much to explain. You can try looking up people playing/racing on twitch or youtube. Not a fan of where the community has gone over the years, but the randomizer itself is fucking awesome.

I suspect FF4 has the most elaborate randomizer, but I could be wrong. I know FF5 has one as well, and the game itself is so fucking massive in that case that randomizing it boggles my mind so I've yet to even try it. Tons of games have them these days, even Elden Ring.

Hell, there is now a 'randomizer randomizer' called Archipelago wherein a collection of games are linked together and randomized, such that killing a boss, opening a chest or researching a technology in one game will create an item or unlock a feature in another. You can even do it multiplayer, with people playing Starcraft, Factorio, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy and any of dozens of other games, all finding shit for other people's games in their own world. It sounds like a glorious clusterfuck, but I've yet to find a satisfying video of one going on- usually someone in the party doesn't actually know their own game that well or has picked dumb settings such that they bottleneck the entire group with their incompetence.

Spike

Educated
Playing FF1 on NES emulator, with the FF Restored hack that fixes bugs and I believe fixes the translation. What a charming little classic. Love the music, the enemy design sprites are great. Fun spells/combat for its era. Truly from a time where innovation and invention were common in the gaming industry.

911 Jumper

Educated
Slightly off topic but couldn't find a dedicated thread so thought I'd ask here:

Does anyone here have FF9 on Switch? Is the port really as bad as I have heard it is? I've heard, among other problems with the port, that the pre-rendered backgrounds look terrible and battles take a long time to load.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom