Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Codex Year of the Donut
the whispers are meant to represent the FF7 fanboys, right?

Häyhä

Arbiter
Cloud is such a retard in this, I love him.

Tifa: This is your room. Come in, check it out.

*follows him inside, closes the door*

Cloud: Are you going to pay me or not?

Psshhh, that's a true ALPHA FIRST-CLASS attitude, demand an upfront payment from a girl looking like Tifa. Respect.

Generic-Giant-Spider

NOw ThIS POST makeS mu Rly Goes for go For LOLzies! Boyo, most fapanese media appeal fist to anal to Japs FAPS before taking apartment ac foreign audiences. HELLo HELLo HELLo I'm saying including the orginal ff7 and quite not to acutal not sure and literally every fap-an game to exist, and most jp games that do appeal to westerns? F0R one- coincidence and tWO equals G0LDEn retriever dick?, and this es import play-asia. AREN'T EVEN TRANSLATED IN. THE. FIRSTPLACE LMAO TO LOLLOL AND i SEE YOU P.

Are you coming onto me?

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Did they really make it daytime in sector 7?!? I was under the impression that due to being under the Midgar plate the slums never saw sunlight, which is why it was a neon lit dystopia straight out of a William Gibson short story.

Most of it is darkened but close to the border (Tifa's bar) there's a crack in the wall that lets sunlight in.

Psshhh, that's a true ALPHA FIRST-CLASS attitude, demand an upfront payment from a girl looking like Tifa. Respect.
Unfortunately the very next line is from Tifa saying they don't have the money and just giving him a few coins, then asking him to keep helping so next time they will surely be able to pay him the rest, to which he agrees.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
This is a good take on the game that really sums things up nicely. No superficial babble about the graphics and nostalgia. Plenty of downvotes from the sheeple:

Unwanted

†††

Patron
NOOOOOOOOO I CAN'T PLAY AN OUTDATED PS1 GAME, I NEED A REMAKE WITH PS1 GRAPHICS INSTEAD

5wZLDA9.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wow, the voice acting is really lame.

Square operates by traditional japanese company rules which means that the lead positions, like voice director or sound designer, or director, are awarded by seniority and not merit.

They actively frown upon employees trying to do things outside of their scope or trying to gain things through merit, everything is done via seniority, so this means a lot of times they end up with leads in positions that they don't know a single thing about, like in this case the voice director for the past 3 main Final Fantasy games. Voice direction has been categorically awful since FF13, whereas it was fantastic in FF12 when it was handled by Ivalice Studio.

One of the most famous cases of this was with the Silent Hill 1 and 2 games where the animation leads didn't have a clue about how to make modern CGI cutscenes so they had one of their rookie guys teach all of the leads how to use the software. He eventually wound up making all of the cutscenes for SH2, but he had to go through a mountain of trouble including being threatened with never being credited for his work or being fired if he kept insisting.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

The new combat in John Romero's Final Fantasy VII Remake is the first time I've felt like my parents used to when watching video games. I have no idea what is happening, what anything means, I don't even know where I am.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
that they turned even the story of ff7 into kingdom hearts is my favorite part, ngl
nomura is a god of decline like holy shit :lol:

At least KH had actual Time Travel rules that prevented paradoxs and all..

At least KH series have hope of getting good again , the dlc was pure incline in combat design , FF in other hand lol Unless Yoshi-P comes to save, this franchise gonna decline even more.

Calling out now. Next part they gonna put Dirge of Cerberus and more Advent Children.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Calling out now. Next part they gonna put Dirge of Cerberus and more Advent Children.

I've never played a single Kingdom Hearts game (always a children's game for me age-wise) but have heard from a reliable source that the latest game was absolute garbage in every way possible.

They would never put out a totally forgotten, critical failure of a spin-off or an OVA from 2005, there's no money to be made from either. Square Enix might be totally incapable of putting out a decent game these days, but they're not idiots in selling commercially viable products.

Delterius

Arcane
I've never played a single Kingdom Hearts game (always a children's game for me age-wise) but have heard from a reliable source that the latest game was absolute garbage in every way possible.
The first game is OK for what it is, I guess. Everything that came afterwards is this beautiful stew of contrived anime bullshit that makes it all just so entertaining.

From very far away.

this is your ff7 remake

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
but have heard from a reliable source that the latest game was absolute garbage in every way possible.

The base game isn't good. It's far form totally garbage tho.
The DLC is actually so good that even people that hated the main game , liked.

Last edited:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Watched through all the story segments of Remake. Here are some thoughts about the story. Some minor spoilers, so viewers discretion is adviced.

+ Confirmed RAEP.
+ Up until the ending nothing major was raped, but the final 2 hours or so completely and utterly buttfucked the entire story.
+ There are honestly a lot of good story segments that did justice to the original, but the ending ruined even their positive impact.
+ Playable characters are done really well. No complaints there.
+ Sephiroth's character is completely raped. It's actually pretty admirable how badly his character was raped. There's no mystery, no suspense, no danger, nothing. He's just a big bad boss just like any other minor nuisance you encounter. Chasing him across the world and fighting him in the sequels will feel completely hollow and pointless.
+ It's really fucking annoying how Aerith spouts exposition and thoroughly ruins all the nuance from the story.
+ The ending basically tells the audience the devs aren't going to follow the original story or stay true to it. They spit in the face of all FF7 fans.
+ They have already basically revealed the entire story during the Midgar section. How do you continue the story if all the mystery has been already exhausted?
+ The Arbiters of Fate are completely unnecessary and ruin the story even further.

I'm really surprised if the internet doesn't completely implode over the ending any minute now.

:fight:

Also, the gaming journo who suggests this should be GOTY should be castrated immediately.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The entire first part was nothing more than a big middle finger to FF7 fanboys who have been screaming for years for a remake. If that describes you, you'll be happy to know that you're in the game: You're one of those ghost things that keeps making sure everything is exactly the way it was.
The ending is the big middle finger telling you that despite how much you kick and scream it's going to change.

Absolutely hilarious as a non-fan tbh.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am perfectly happy that they are not going to follow the FF7 story strictly. This is how remakes should be done.

FF7 is FF7.
This is another game.

Both are fine.

Also, I think it's now clear why this game isn't called Part 1 or anything. It's the only episode of the series that is going to be a FF7 remake. I'm expecting the sequel to be called "FF7 Rebirth, FF7-2" or some other thing.

Ash

Arcane
The old contrarian adage about FF7 - "Overhyped but not overrated" - gaining more credence due to this remake.

"The Materia system is a dumbed-down retooling of Final Fantasy VI's Magicite/Relic setup"

:what:

FF7 perhaps has some of the best gameplay of JRPG's of yore because of it's materia system + level design which was constantly throwing some new puzzle or gimmick at you, rather than bland empty repetitive levels you see in something like Suikoden, Chrono Trigger or Breath of Fire.
FF5, 6, 8 and 9 did a good job in this regard too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom