Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XIV any good?

Codex Year of the Donut
The crafting system was obviously taken from EQ2, but it's also greatly improved. EQ2 had a very good crafting system so this is a good thing.
I've got a 20ish something Lancer on Gilgamesh (trial acct) and have been having some fun with the game.
Don't think servers really matter at all anymore, I see people from other servers on mine all the time. You can just hop between servers.

The concept of characters tied to servers itself is a strange one and IMO a mistake. Definitely one of the things Runescape(and probably a few others I can't think of right now) got right. There's never any issue of having to open new or close dying servers, you just allocate or deallocate resources as needed and people can just play on whatever server is available or hop to a specific one to play with a friend.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The crafting system was obviously taken from EQ2, but it's also greatly improved. EQ2 had a very good crafting system so this is a good thing.
I've got a 20ish something Lancer on Gilgamesh (trial acct) and have been having some fun with the game.
Don't think servers really matter at all anymore, I see people from other servers on mine all the time. You can just hop between servers.

The concept of characters tied to servers itself is a strange one and IMO a mistake. Definitely one of the things Runescape(and probably a few others I can't think of right now) got right. There's never any issue of having to open new or close dying servers, you just allocate or deallocate resources as needed and people can just play on whatever server is available or hop to a specific one to play with a friend.
Now that you mention it I did read that you can play with pretty much anyone you want (I think ATM only on your current data center but eventually you can go between? not sure).

Goratg

Novice
Got to the end of ARR in late '17 and stopped then. Have played through to the start of HW with the recent free trial for returning players.

Just such a polished, pleasant experience. I don't really think it has any less depth than WOW and similar - perhaps less illusion of choice with builds and so on. But that's just a product of streamlining.

Caim

Arcane
The crafting sounds cool.
Yeah, it's something of a minigame where you have to balance your progress, the durability of your item and its quality to get the best possible result. I reckon that down the line it's gonna be an absolute slog to get to max level, but it's far more involved than "press button, make item, repeat until max level" than most other MMOs do it.

Codex Year of the Donut
The Ul'dah scene involving the council discussing whether to accept more refugees(to keep it spoiler-free) is probably some of the better written politicking I've seen in a video game tbh. Was kind of surprised at how good that scene was, and even had some implications with regards to who has the real power in ul'dah.
In a following scene Yugiri even says she would probably do the same thing in their position. The writers don't really try to paint either side as wrong or right.
It's quite obvious the existing refugees are a major burden on the city, and taking any more -- even ones that seemingly truly need help and are willing to to earn their keep -- is a major risk.

Essentially, a more permissive migration policy poisoned the well.

Also
one of the pro-refugee council members was pro-refugee because he wanted cheap labor
Overall, did a very good job representing a wide range of views on a complex subject without really taking a stance one way or the other.

[edit]
also, NPC dialogue changes a lot. If you see a green name, stop and talk to them before moving on with your quest or whatever.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The crafting sounds cool.
Yeah, it's something of a minigame where you have to balance your progress, the durability of your item and its quality to get the best possible result. I reckon that down the line it's gonna be an absolute slog to get to max level, but it's far more involved than "press button, make item, repeat until max level" than most other MMOs do it.
The crafting is a game in of itself. Some people dedicate themselves solely to that.

There are lots of minigames and things in-game that you could dedicate your time to moreso than the actual game itself. Chocobo racing, Triple Triad (CCG based on the FF8 TT minigame where you fight against NPCs and try to get new cards from them to make a cool deck, also has tourneys against real people), the Blue Mage job which is also a minigame rather than a proper job, etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
I like that minor characters in the main quest are reused a lot instead of being shown once or a few times and completely forgotten about. Although it often does take a while to get back around to them, they seem to mostly get more content(even in side quests.) A lot of things end up being followed up on/referenced later.
Creating characters just to throw them away is a major issue in most story-heavy MMOs for some reason.

my dragoon with my fledgling dodo
ffxiv-10082021-124728-368.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They aren't called giraffes for nothing. They're just like the Elvaan from FF11 where they also had unnatural limb proportions.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyone know what the original nipponese word they used for "adventurer" is? It often feels strange in the context they use it in, as if a different word was intended.

Caim

Arcane
Anyone know what the original nipponese word they used for "adventurer" is? It often feels strange in the context they use it in, as if a different word was intended.
I don't remember the name, but I do know that the Japanese used to have some kind of temp offices for physical labor, including things like guarding travelers or caravans. The whole idea of the "adventurer guild" comes from there, growing from "wanted: caravan guards" to "wanted: someone to kick hyper-satan in the dick".

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't remember the name, but I do know that the Japanese used to have some kind of temp offices for physical labor, including things like guarding travelers or caravans. The whole idea of the "adventurer guild" comes from there, growing from "wanted: caravan guards" to "wanted: someone to kick hyper-satan in the dick".
Yeah, I'm not sure if adventurer was appropriate.
After looking into it, it appears the guy in charge of localization is also the co-lead world and lore developer for FFXIV. The story is written in both Japanese and English at the same time, rather in one and translated to the latter.

The word used in the japanime version is 「冒険者」, which apparently does transliterate as "adventurer". I don't know enough about animespeak to say any more than that.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Would "mercenary" be more fitting?

Codex Year of the Donut
Would "mercenary" be more fitting?
I thought about that already, and... not exactly. The reason being due to how the word adventurer even came to be used for them:
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Adventurers'_Guild
Before the fall of Ala Mhigo to the Garlean Empire, few city-states maintained organized militaries, opting instead to hire the services of mercenaries and hedge knights to champion their causes. When city guard units were restructured into legitimate standing armies which could be quickly called upon and mobilized if he need arose, it left a majority of the realm's hireswords with nowhere to pledge their fealty, and with their livelihood ripped out from under them, many of these men and women resorted to acts of villainy to survive. For fear of the situation worsening and the land falling into chaos, several respected leaders from around Eorzea gathered together and formed a network of guilds to provide these lost souls with the opportunity to redeem themselves by aiding others.[1] Through the foresight and resolve of these leaders a new industry was born, and the life of the adventurer re-emerged into Eorzea.

So, yes, mercenary would fit except they purposely don't call themselves mercenaries because of the connotation it has I assume.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom