Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XIV any good?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
decided to take a look at the fellowship finder
:prosper:
image.png

image.png

image.png

Ah yes, FF14 endgame content.

Codex Year of the Donut
Just found out my server is an RP server. A lot of things are starting to make sense.

It was the only server that would even let me make a character, didn't see anything about it being RP.

Codex Year of the Donut
shame MMO encounter designers always seem so intent on anti-melee mechanics, I'll probably switch from dragoon to bard based on all the dungeon encounters I've seen so far

Midgardsormr dungeon was awesome btw

Codex Year of the Donut
the story parts actually have reactivity btw, I've seen it more than a few times now
If you're a dragoon, Estinen's dialogue is way different when he's introduced in the MSQ. I looked the conversation up on youtube to see a non-dragoon POV.

although I admit the entire subplot feels a bit weird if you're a dragoon though

Codex Year of the Donut
forcing you to do raids to progress the main story is some of the most retarded shit I've ever seen. You shouldn't need to read a fucking guide and watch videos to complete the main story quest.
yea yea duty finder whatever

the only way you get through them is being carried by experienced players

they were doing so well then they just went full retard

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The duty raids are babymode shit. They're literally intended for training purposes, you don't need to read guides for them. The Savage versions which aren't mandatory for the story are the challenging ones, but they are only intended for raiders. Non Savage = babymode so everyone can see the content.

Codex Year of the Donut
The duty raids are babymode shit. They're literally intended for training purposes, you don't need to read guides for them. The Savage versions which aren't mandatory for the story are the challenging ones, but they are only intended for raiders. Non Savage = babymode so everyone can see the content.
They're "babymode" because you're being carried by people who have done it 100 times.
Might as well just take away control of your character for 30 minutes and let you just watch a cutscene of someone else doing it at that point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They're "babymode" because you're being carried by people who have done it 100 times.
Might as well just take away control of your character for 30 minutes and let you just watch a cutscene of someone else doing it at that point.
Their difficulty has been nerfed into the ground so even if you weren't carried by people with the know how it doesn't matter since they are so easy now you can't fail. The same goes for all the ARR party dungeons. The game used to be way harder but during and after Heavensward they've taken steps to make it so easy anyone can win. ARR era beating a dungeon was actually not a guarantee.

Codex Year of the Donut
Their difficulty has been nerfed into the ground so even if you weren't carried by people with the know how it doesn't matter since they are so easy now you can't fail. The same goes for all the ARR party dungeons. The game used to be way harder but during and after Heavensward they've taken steps to make it so easy anyone can win. ARR era beating a dungeon was actually not a guarantee.
you realize it's required just to get past ARR, right?
I'm not complaining about end-game content being easy, I'm complaining about requiring people who are probably only 20 hours into the game to do raids just to continue doing the main questline -- people who aren't even close to max level -- even if they're nerfed content, it was content designed for people at endgame when it was made, not people who are halfway there and still learning how to play. The amount of sprouts(and even non-sprouts) I saw die flat out contradicts your implication that a group of sprouts could possibly do it. They'd give up in frustration before that happens, or resort to watching videos on how to do it. And hey, SE clearly knew this and it's why the required trials have the echo mechanic where you get stronger when you wipe.
They're expecting new players to be carried by experienced players, this is not good design at all.

If I didn't have experiencing in WoW raiding up to sunwell and knowing to do my research beforehand I probably would have been eating dirt right there with them due to all the various OHK mechanics.

janior

Arcane
Patron
So was thinking about getting into this game, but not really sure about it. I hear mixed opinions and was wondering what you guys here think of it?

I played the free trial about 1-2 years ago and thought the game was meh at the time. I think I played the monk class. Has the game improved since then or?
no

deama

Prophet
I tried playing it anyway last year, this time I picked some mage class, but I gave up at around lvl 13 or so, just not my game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not complaining about end-game content being easy, I'm complaining about requiring people who are probably only 20 hours into the game to do raids just to continue doing the main questline -- people who aren't even close to max level -- even if they're nerfed content, it was content designed for people at endgame when it was made, not people who are halfway there and still learning how to play. The amount of sprouts(and even non-sprouts) I saw die flat out contradicts your implication that a group of sprouts could possibly do it. They'd give up in frustration before that happens, or resort to watching videos on how to do it. And hey, SE clearly knew this and it's why the required trials have the echo mechanic where you get stronger when you wipe.
They're expecting new players to be carried by experienced players, this is not good design at all.

If I didn't have experiencing in WoW raiding up to sunwell and knowing to do my research beforehand I probably would have been eating dirt right there with them due to all the various OHK mechanics.

Pre-nerfs some of the leveling dungeons and most of the level 50 dungeons were a lot harder than normal raids, which again, were intended for learning even if they were more challenging. If people were not good enough to learn then they'd get stuck until they learned, no? It was sink or swim.

Also there are no raids you need to do 20h in, unless you mean the Primals. They used to be really challenging but people got through just fine. Sometimes it took us multiple attempts to get by, but we did it. Often by communication and giving tips on trying different strats if things were not working. Challenge forces you to be social.

Codex Year of the Donut

Even at the time pre-nerfs the some of the leveling dungeons and most of the level 50 dungeons were a lot harder than normal raids, which again, were intended for learning. If people were not good enough to learn then they'd get stuck until they learned, no? It was sink or swim.

Also there are no raids you need to do 20h in, unless you mean the Primals. They used to be really challenging but people got through just fine. Sometimes it took us multiple attempts to get by, but we did it.
I meant 20 hours into the game itself you ESL
I'm not sure how else to explain this to you, but this was not content designed for newbies. I don't care how "easy" you think it is, I guarantee you would have been dying just as much as the sprouts I watched die if you were as ignorant of the mechanics as they were.
If your answer is "well, go read up on it then!", that's exactly my point. You shouldn't have to read a guide and watch videos to complete the fucking main leveling quest.

f people were not good enough to learn then they'd get stuck until they learned, no? It was sink or swim.
raids in MMOs are rote memorization garbage, I already know. It's like the chef coming over and taking a steaming shit on my nice dinner.

Delterius

Arcane
forcing you to do raids to progress the main story is some of the most retarded shit I've ever seen.
Do you mean the Crystal Tower raids? They tend to scale very poorly due to overgearing. It's not much of a hurdle, unless you guys fucked up especially bad somehow. I have been to a wipe in the mini-boss prior to Behemoth in the Labyrinth and I still don't know how we did it.

24mans all scale terribly, although I'd say that Dun Scaith is still really fun even today.

Codex Year of the Donut
forcing you to do raids to progress the main story is some of the most retarded shit I've ever seen.
Do you mean the Crystal Tower raids? They tend to scale very poorly due to overgearing. It's not much of a hurdle, unless you guys fucked up especially bad somehow. I have been to a wipe in the mini-boss prior to Behemoth in the Labyrinth and I still don't know how we did it.

24mans all scale terribly, although I'd say that Dun Scaith is still really fun even today.
again, you're making my case for me.
You're being carried by other players, this is not good design.

It's clear they expected new players to just be handheld through, but why even have them do it at that point? Just give them a youtube video to watch of the cutscenes or something.

Delterius

Arcane

again, you're making my case for me.
You're being carried by other players, this is not good design.

It's clear they expected new players to just be handheld through, but why even have them do it at that point? Just give them a youtube video to watch of the cutscenes or something.
That is a bigger issue than the raids. Outside of Aurum Vale everything in ARR is story mode because very few encounters are designed in such a way to hold up in spite of overgearing. And until Storm blood there will be the odd fight that scales incredibly poorly. The vault dungeon is quite fun and intense, the following trial is terrible on story mode. That is the blind spot in FFxiv's scaling system.

Codex Year of the Donut
o yea and I spent like a combined 70 minutes waiting for queues split between the three raids which is ridiculous, these are required to continue the main quest content.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yes, this is one of the worst aspects of the game. The waiting for a raid or a trial. This is one of the key reasons why I play a tank in FF14. Black Mage was my first job, but then I went to Healer and even there the ques started to be too long so I ultimately switched to tanking to have the shortest ques and least bumpy experience.

Later in the game, I think Stormblood, they introduce NPC party members for dungeons at least, but it is still quite a limited feature. I'm not sure if you can do any roulettes with them, for example. At least it makes the leveling experience smoother for DPS classes since they can just opt to jump into the story dungeon right away instead of waiting for up to 30min, which is jarring.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's no point, Scholar is boring now and Summoner has always been a nightmarish piano. I keep both jobs at level cap in hopes that it gets better for them, but so far it's not looking good.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Like I said, tank is faster. But Arcanist is a biohack if you want to play a DPS with faster ques on mandatory content. But most people who play DPS don't want to play Summoner. Warrior does pretty good DPS even as a tank however, and mechanically the roles aren't that different so there's no reason to play DPS imo, unless you prefer the aesthetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom