Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XIV any good?

Caim

Arcane
So would Savior of Square Enix be better?
That says less about Yoshi-P and more about the sheer ineptitude of modern Square Enix, where basic competence is surprising, not expected.
Yoshi-P sells Phials of Fantasia so that Squenix can fund their NFT peddling efforts.

Spent a couple hours trying out the Island Sanctuary. Built the workshop.

The gameplay is a clicker. 90% of the gameplay is running around clicking anything that glows. The other 10% is navigating menus to order your robot slaves to build stuff.

I can't help but compare the Island Sanctuary to the Sunsong Ranch from WoW, which had much more engaging gameplay. You didn't plant seeds by navigating a menu or just clicking. You grabbed a shovel and tilled the dirt. Then you planted the seeds. Then you grabbed the watering can and watered the soil. Then as your crops grew, you had to do various things to maintain them, such as grabbing a tool to spray the bugs, or grabbing weeds and slowly walking away from the dirt patch to yank the weeds out of the ground. Or a bull riding minigame where you ride a living vine that is strangling your crops and beating the crap out of it. etc. You also expanded the farm through a lot of interesting quests with the NPC neighbors you cared about, rather than just clicking and navigating a menu.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Spent a couple hours trying out the Island Sanctuary. Built the workshop.

The gameplay is a clicker. 90% of the gameplay is running around clicking anything that glows. The other 10% is navigating menus to order your robot slaves to build stuff.

I can't help but compare the Island Sanctuary to the Sunsong Ranch from WoW, which had much more engaging gameplay. You didn't plant seeds by navigating a menu or just clicking. You grabbed a shovel and tilled the dirt. Then you planted the seeds. Then you grabbed the watering can and watered the soil. Then as your crops grew, you had to do various things to maintain them, such as grabbing a tool to spray the bugs, or grabbing weeds and slowly walking away from the dirt patch to yank the weeds out of the ground. Or a bull riding minigame where you ride a living vine that is strangling your crops and beating the crap out of it. etc. You also expanded the farm through a lot of interesting quests with the NPC neighbors you cared about, rather than just clicking and navigating a menu.

Is there a chance it will have more engaging gameplay/activities once you progress further along? Do you think it will be something they continue to expand upon?

Codex Year of the Donut
basically all the gameplay mechanics except for gathering/crafting(taken from EQ2) are worse knockoffs of WoW features, what were you expecting exactly?
It's probably the least original MMO on the market

Is there a chance it will have more engaging gameplay/activities once you progress further along?

From what people further along than I are saying on the official forums, there isn't anything radically different. What you see is what you get. People have calculated the rewards and it seems that they are quite grindy. You will have to log in every day to tell your Mammets what to make for several weeks, if not months, in order to get enough currency to buy the new hairstyles.

Do you think it will be something they continue to expand upon?

The devs have said that they will continue to update the Island Sanctuary in future patches. They will probably be minor additions, like new creatures you can collect and put into your pen or new materials you can click to gather. Maybe some new hairstyles you can buy from the shop.

basically all the gameplay mechanics except for gathering/crafting are worse knockoffs of WoW features, what were you expecting exactly?

The Island Sanctuary was a feature that was billed was one of the key selling points of this expansion, and it wasn't implemented until 9 months after launch (which had very little to do once you had beaten the story) so the delay had better been worth it. FFXIV modeled itself as a WoW clone and is the highest production value MMO of today. I had hoped that it would have at least had been as engaging as the Sunsong Ranch, which was implemented a decade ago (not to mention the dozens of others farming games that have come out since then that FF14 could have learned lessons from).

It ties into the the lack of content in FF14. This patch contained a few hours of story content which I blew through yesterday. The only thing your left with is a clicker facebook game for the next 4.5 months until the next patch hits.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Started playing again. This time with a friend so its quite a bit more fun already. Any money making tips? The amount of inflation has had quite the negative impact on my savings from years ago.

Any money making tips?

Not really. You get a few ten thousand gil doing your daily roulettes. Can also make a few ten thousand gil by vendoring your stuff at the Doman Enclave. So if you are playing for a couple hours every single day then you can slowly rack up some money. Otherwise, the only way to make a lot of gil is to be a crafter and study what sells on the auction house, but it takes money to make money (levelling up your crafters is expensive, let alone gearing them up).

When patch 5.3 came out and introduced Bozja, there was a two week long window of opportunity to make easy millions of gil for little effort. You just farmed the rank III mechanized mobs for Bozjan clusters and bought the robot mount, and sold it on the AH. It started at selling for 3 million gil per mount and then two weeks later it was still selling for 300,000 gil, which was a pretty respectable return on time invested since you only needed to cluster farm for a little over an hour and there was no barrier to entry like getting into the crafting scene.

I still have no Idea what people use money for in this game

Housing items. Even filling up an apartment with 100 items can cost several million gil, let alone mansions with a 400 item cap.

Certain armor pieces and weapons for glamour and dyes can also cost a couple million per piece too.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
That store they have is extensive. Did they stop developing most good looking gear, dances, emotes etc for in-game and switch to the store? It's quite disheartening to see so much quality stuff on the store. I suppose store supporters would say they have a seperate team just for the store and doesn't effect the in-game items etc. I dunno though. Anyone have thoughts on the store?

Cromwell

Arcane
Anyone have thoughts on the store?

like all ingame stores for subscription games theres only two stances to have. the first is "its only fluff and doesnt give ingame bonusses" and the right one "everything in the store is not obtainable through ingame means therefore a store is always shitty". I can tolerate it but in principle its a shit practice

Did they stop developing most good looking gear, dances, emotes etc for in-game and switch to the store?

Yes and no. A lot of the store stuff is actually stuff from past seasonal events, as FF14 develops new stuff for each year's event and hardly ever brings them back, which sucks because a few of the event quests were good but if you missed them then too bad you never get to experience them.

The scummiest thing about the store is putting boss mounts in it rather than earning them from killing the boss (Cruise Chaser), and Hrothgar players not being able to change their hairstyle at an ingame barber shop and instead having to pay $5 for a fantasia every time they want to change their hairstyle.

Having a cash shop when you already pay $60 every other year for boxed expansions and a $15 monthly subscription is a scum move, though.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The grame is legit great if you like classic style MMO unlike WOW it respect your time and don't timegates you. And is full of stuff to do that is not just do dungeons do raids rinse and repeat. Solid crafting system that is fun. And a lot more varied activities you can do.

The community is also one of the best around.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The grame is legit great if you like classic style MMO unlike WOW it respect your time and don't timegates you. And is full of stuff to do that is not just do dungeons do raids rinse and repeat. Solid crafting system that is fun. And a lot more varied activities you can do.

the eye of rusty will soon be on you

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

the eye of rusty will soon be on you
Oh well not that intimidating. I played a lot of mmos not even wow managed to won me over to pay a sub. I do that for final fantasy because the game is genuinely fun and full of production value. Clearly it shows Yoshi was a mmo player as the game has all the positive MMO features and not tje negative ones. Of course the game has flaws like the housing system still needs some work while is easy to get an apartment is still hard to get a venue.

Cromwell

Arcane
I played a lot of mmos not even wow managed to won me over to pay a sub
learly it shows Yoshi was a mmo player as the game has all the positive MMO features and not tje negative ones.

The only thing thats clear here is that you are not a fan of MMOs. FF is mostly a singleplayer experience outside of chats or Dungeons. And the world around those may as well not exist. Even classic WoW was more social than this.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I played a lot of mmos not even wow managed to won me over to pay a sub
learly it shows Yoshi was a mmo player as the game has all the positive MMO features and not tje negative ones.

The only thing thats clear here is that you are not a fan of MMOs. FF is mostly a singleplayer experience outside of chats or Dungeons. And the world around those may as well not exist. Even classic WoW was more social than this.
Wow is dead. It has absolutely tedious mechanics that serve no porpouse than waste your time. Wow for years did pandering to hardcore raiders that are maybe the 20% of the mmo player. The only player retention that have is making thing obsolete every time drops a new expansion and outsite the cycle Level up-Gear up-Do dung-Do raids don't offer anything else aside of pvp.

The community is atrocious too.
If a wipe happens in wow everyone leave the group and insult each other like childrens.
In ff dosn't matter what difficoulty the raid is if people get wiped they go again.

FF offer content for single players and also multy players is called having more choice.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
FF generally seems a lot more respectful of your time than WOW from what I've noticed in my (admittedly brief) exposure to the former.

I also do like the ability to switch between classes on a single character and how they give you easy catch ups. It gives you an incentive to try all the classes (jobs) rather than sticking to a small handful.

I hate many, many things about retail WoW, but at least WoW has actual gameplay and isn't a 400+ hour long visual novel with 50 hours of boring combat.

The WoW community is better than FF14's community. In FF14 you get banned if you tell another player to get their act together and actually do damage rather than autoattack. Bringing up DPS logs gets you banned. So leechers are allowed to persist, no one is allowed to correct the problem, and the group wipes over and over until it finally disbands. In WoW, people tell it as it is, not out of malice but because they genuinely want people to get better so that the group can succeed.

Also, WoW's community doesn't stalk people because they had the audacity to say that they didn't find the story too be an amazing life changing experience.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I hate many, many things about retail WoW, but at least WoW has actual gameplay and isn't a 400+ hour long visual novel with 50 hours of boring combat.

The WoW community is better than FF14's community. In FF14 you get banned if you tell another player to get their act together and actually do damage rather than autoattack. Bringing up DPS logs gets you banned. So leechers are allowed to persist, no one is allowed to correct the problem, and the group wipes over and over until it finally disbands. In WoW, people tell it as it is, not out of malice but because they genuinely want people to get better so that the group can succeed.

Also, WoW's community doesn't stalk people because they had the audacity to say that they didn't find the story too be an amazing life changing experience.
No Wow makes 6 progression quests each expansions that take hours to complete because you have to farm rep in order to have the quest accessible ((killing dozen of monsters)) or to farm to get souls conduit to progress. Wow exp have almost no content they seem longer because there is a huge grind designed to waste your time.

Wow community is a joke. You wipe in an hard boss? They start to cry and disband the group instead to try again.

somerandomdude

Learned
I've never played this, but I know some people who did, and I heard that they are extraordinarily ban happy with their moderation. If you say one thing that hurts someone's feelings, even unintentionally, you can get banned, and 3 bans and you're gone. My cousin tried to get me into this game after they redid the game, but I don't have the time or the desire to play MMORPGs anymore. Anyway, he eventually got banned 3x, and he insists that he didn't even really do anything to justify getting banned even once. The game sounds like a safe space for the easily offended. Why the fuck would I pay a sub just to impose on the safe space of the woke mob? I can do that for free anywhere else on the internet.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

As far i seen they do moderation only on heavy stuff. In balmount people tent to mock each other all the time

somerandomdude

Learned
As far i seen they do moderation only on heavy stuff. In balmount people tent to mock each other all the time

They ban you for telling someone they're dead weight on the team, and that you don't want to team with them anymore. I know this for a fact, because my cousin even took a SC of it and showed it to me awhile back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom