Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First game/s you played on PC.

kangaxx

Arbiter
A game on my Dad's VAXmate simply called "Race". It was a top down multiplayer racing game with a track editor... looking back it was remarkably good considering the technology it ran on.

First "proper" game was either Sim City or Champions of Krynn. I can't remember which first though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
First "proper" game was either Sim City or Champions of Krynn. I can't remember which first though.

LGR did a retrospective on the first Windows version of Sim City and man was that a nostalgia bomb. I never played the earlier ones though.

otteaux

Novice
First game on PC was Might and Magic II. I used to hang with a bud who had an Apple IIe before that though - played a ton of Wizardry, Temple of Apshai, The Bilestoad, Starflight, and One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird.

And before that was Trek on my uncle's terminal - I remember printing out he maps on his dot matrix printer and thinking how cool it was.

Cool thread - I was just thinking about my gaming youth earlier... mags like PC Accelerator, the awesome Interactive Entertainment discs that used to come with the Computer Games Strategy Plus mag, old indie gaming websites (I used to run one called "GamersPress"), etc. Good times.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Now I come to think of it, the first game I put serious hours into was also on the VAXmate. It was basically a monochrome version of Chopper Commando. I couldn't believe my little eyes when I worked out there was a secret screen off the far end of the map... just blast a hole through the mountain and you can fly through. I thought I'd broken the computer or something!

Padzi

Arbiter
My first game on PC was Shogo. I remember being so impressed by the graphics I was saying stuff like "omg it looks so real", haha.

I mean... :
049028e2abb86f7fda801321883aaa5e2249ba85.jpg

QbOAHf-F_BOXiObD2tuKEJK8HvuD9H1z24GzMJ2d_Do.jpg

:lol::lol:

Doktor Best

Arcane
I don't remember the name of the game. It was a DOS game with xga graphics. It was about an employee who goes to work and then has to stack boxes in an orderly manner.

Yes, i am German.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first game on PC was Shogo. I remember being so impressed by the graphics I was saying stuff like "omg it looks so real", haha.

The funny part is that it was supposed to be stylized :-P.

But i do remember reviews from the time praising its visual effects (early LithTech might have been janky as hell and the models often looked weird, but compared to Quake and Unreal engines it could do some nice particle and visual effects).

negator2vc

Scholar
Alley Cat (PC Booter), Space Quest 2, Hero's Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero,
(maybe) Sid Meier's Pirates! (PC Booter)
either DOS or PC Booter

Most of them (except SQ2) still hold very well even today! In fact I have played them this year!

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wolfenstein 3D and Doom were both ones that I played a couple minutes of at the local software shop and immediately realized like "wow the world will never be the same again after this". I'm not an FPS guy but it was obvious right away that this was big fucking deal.

darkfader

Novice
Wolfenstein 3D and Doom were both ones that I played a couple minutes of at the local software shop and immediately realized like "wow the world will never be the same again after this". I'm not an FPS guy but it was obvious right away that this was big fucking deal.

I agree 100.
The 3d aspect literally added a new dimension to anything gaming.
I didn't even use Mouse look at the time, and was completely happy with ALT-Strafing around every corner to open fire on all Nazis.
That was my second reaction ... Not only did I have a 3 Dimensional world added through this seamless portal known then as my CRT monitor, but who decided to create a game shooting Nazis??? ... It's like I went from Edison Light Bulbs to Semiconductors in 3 seconds Flat.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
iu

On an old DOS computer. It had this bug when it would randomly restart the PC everytime you passed a level. Still managed to go quite far, and finished it on the simpler Game Boy Advance version many years later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom