Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Four Horsemen of Incline - Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

Gandalf

Arbiter
There has L.I.T.E.R.A.L.L.Y. been ZERO quality AAA games released since 2016. I've been thinking about this lately. Not to mention WOKE mind virus which has become official religion of mainstream Western gaming industry

Luckily many based indies and countless gaming gems from past shine on my ToPlay list. We should promote more these small, based indies on Codex. Promotion would mean more + bigger and better RPGs from these based devs in the future

Devs' biographies and posting on Codex matters. When they stop posting they lose their creative power. RPG Codex is Devs' muse
What were the quality AAA games of 2012-2015 then?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There has L.I.T.E.R.A.L.L.Y. been ZERO quality AAA games released since 2016. I've been thinking about this lately. Not to mention WOKE mind virus which has become official religion of mainstream Western gaming industry

Luckily many based indies and countless gaming gems from past shine on my ToPlay list. We should promote more these small, based indies on Codex. Promotion would mean more + bigger and better RPGs from these based devs in the future

Devs' biographies and posting on Codex matters. When they stop posting they lose their creative power. RPG Codex is Devs' muse
Yeah because PoE2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 aren't quality.

Edgelords gonna edge.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Obsidian, Owlcat and 2 Larian games. Out of those Im only really a fan of Owlcat and even they spend way too much time telling instead of showing.

I tried to get into both PoEs because I love Darklands and there was firearms. Cant get through their reams upon reams of shit writing.

Larian I just cant stand and I tried dos, dos2 AND BG3. Its unlikely I will ever buy another game from them. Fool me three times, I guess.

Niche opinion doesn't automatically mean edgy.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This was never the point of the argument in this thread though? Nobody here ever asked for mainstream AAA devs to make RPGs. Nobody expects Bethesda to make another Morrowind.
From the OP: "What has AAA and AA produced? Trash and mediocrities."
Maybe you can say my observation was pointless. I just think it's funny there are still users like luj1 who expect anything good to come from AAA devs when their sole priority is making a game whose sales justify their massive production cost.

That's all I was saying, really. And I do admit, I enjoy seeing luj1 enter schizo mode. :)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Obsidian, Owlcat and 2 Larian games. Out of those Im only really a fan of Owlcat and even they spend way too much time telling instead of showing.

I tried to get into both PoEs because I love Darklands and there was firearms. Cant get through their reams upon reams of shit writing.

Larian I just cant stand and I tried dos, dos2 AND BG3. Its unlikely I will ever buy another game from them. Fool me three times, I guess.

Niche opinion doesn't automatically mean edgy.

No one said they were perfect, nothing is perfect.

They are quality games, on par with the best stuff from any previous era.

Saying no quality games were released since 2016 is most definitely an edgy and tryhard opinion.

Even the fucking Codex, the hive of scum and villainy voted D:OS2 as game of the year.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The 2017 GotY didn't even include Grimoire in its top ten, so you guys were obviously huffing paint back then.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You forgot torment times of numesomething a game tailored for the needs of RPG codex with huge focus on writing and plot.
Good. I mean, why would you??

That's like complaining that people haven't mentioned Fallout 3 (the "nuFallout", not Van Buren), when it pales in comparison to the first two entries.
They may have done a better job than Bethesda, but it still can't hold a candle to Planescape: Torment. I'd rather replay PS:T.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What is Kenshi? It looks like a single-player MMO.
Broooooo go play it right now. So good.

He doesn't consider Grimoire as being from the KS or post-KS era
Grimoire is a legit living fossil. It's not a 'retro game' or 'throwback' or 'love letter to the classics.' It's a game transplanted out of the late cretaceous and plopped into the 2010s. It's a coelacanth swimming happily off the coast of Madagascar, unaware it's supposed to be extinct.

Nobody here ever asked for mainstream AAA devs to make RPGs.
I do all the time. Call me whatever you want, I like nice graphics and animations. My theory is that modern AAA RPGs that sell big do so by learning lessons from the past that others have forgotten, ie Dark Souls, BG3, etc. The defining trait of Modern Year is a steadfast belief that there is nothing to learn from history. My goal is to remind devs of these lessons and hope they incorporate more old school design into modern games.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
You forgot torment times of numesomething a game tailored for the needs of RPG codex with huge focus on writing and plot.
Good. I mean, why would you??

That's like complaining that people haven't mentioned Fallout 3 (the "nuFallout", not Van Buren), when it pales in comparison to the first two entries.
They may have done a better job than Bethesda, but it still can't hold a candle to Planescape: Torment. I'd rather replay PS:T.
I'd rather remove pst files from all discs, computers and servers so it can never be recovered. Shit game spawned shit mouthbreathing fanbase ruining the genre.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I do all the time. Call me whatever you want, I like nice graphics and animations. My theory is that modern AAA RPGs that sell big do so by learning lessons from the past that others have forgotten, ie Dark Souls, BG3, etc. The defining trait of Modern Year is a steadfast belief that there is nothing to learn from history. My goal is to remind devs of these lessons and hope they incorporate more old school design into modern games.

"Nice graphics" to 99% just means high production value, completely ignoring how the art direction and all that is soulless and doesn't lift up the setting at all.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Continuous sales are a reflection that the buyers enjoy those games.
MCDonalds burgers sell more than wagyu steaks.

Cheap cigarettes sell more than hand-rolled cigars.

Quantity of sales is not indicative of a product's quality.
Who the fuck even made this argument, what are you going on about?

My point is: McDonald's isn't interested in making wagyu steaks if it means their profits will drastically go down.
That's the AAA videogame industry in a nutshell. Why bother making a good AAA cRPGs when most people aren't interested in one?

If you ask wagyu steaks (good cRPGs) from McDonald's (e.g. Bethesda), the retard is you in the first place. It's not that they are incapable of, it's that they aren't interested in the first place.
Wagyu steaks don't even taste that good. Granted, I've only eaten those on two occasions. Too fatty.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Infra Arcana should def be on the incline list. It's perhaps the best horror RPG ever made, and def in my personal top 5 of all time.

Also seconding Jupiter Hell as an incline game from that period (though DoomRL from the same dev is better).

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

One of these games, impressive though it may be, doesn't belong with the others.
Which one? They're all made by small teams or even solo devs, and each is a different subgenre of RPG.

Underrail - Fallout-like
Grimoire - blobber
Kenshi - open world explorefag RPG
KotC - tactical dungeon crawler

He doesn't consider Grimoire as being from the KS or post-KS era
It's also not a good game.

Terenty

Liturgist
Eh, they are good games, but all derivative and have that low quality air around them. Old classics never felt like that.

Old classics felt like well rounded, fully realised experiences. Like high quality products, for lack of a better, less corporate word.

That's why only Disco Elysium truly felt like playing a classic, a unique game with no compromises and with a high enough budget. That's why DE went on to become a modern day classic and spawned a whole slew of copycats.

Just from the main menu you already know the game won't be fucking around

Arryosha

Learned
I wonder what RPGs from the current generation, if any, will still be played 20 years from now. I imagine they are games with solid gameplay, a unique and realized vision, and somewhat timeless visuals.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I wonder what RPGs from the current generation, if any, will still be played 20 years from now. I imagine they are games with solid gameplay, a unique and realized vision, and somewhat timeless visuals.
We'll be too busy dodging Haitian cannibal gangs and not having electricity to worry about it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Only in the sense that Zoomers and Gen Alpha won't really have a frame of reference to judge the games. I'm sure there'll be videos along the lines of "LOOK AT THIS AWESOME OBSCURE RPG PILLARS OF ETERNITY!!!"

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Continuous sales are a reflection that the buyers enjoy those games.
MCDonalds burgers sell more than wagyu steaks.

Cheap cigarettes sell more than hand-rolled cigars.

Quantity of sales is not indicative of a product's quality.
Who the fuck even made this argument, what are you going on about?

My point is: McDonald's isn't interested in making wagyu steaks if it means their profits will drastically go down.
That's the AAA videogame industry in a nutshell. Why bother making a good AAA cRPGs when most people aren't interested in one?

If you ask wagyu steaks (good cRPGs) from McDonald's (e.g. Bethesda), the retard is you in the first place. It's not that they are incapable of, it's that they aren't interested in the first place.
Wagyu steaks don't even taste that good. Granted, I've only eaten those on two occasions. Too fatty.
I love them, but I love fatty foods in general. If you gave me the choice between a pork tenderloin or a pork belly I'd pick the belly meat any day.

Different people have different tastes both in food and games. If fatty foods are RPGs, then wagyu is the Arcanum of fatty foods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom