Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fun with Pierre Begue, creator of Knights of the Chalice

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Making A LOT of effort, I could understand his views that *the system* is evil and he want full control of his shit and all that... but any fleeting logic crumbles down when he says he wants to publish BotS but no KotC.

"Man, those 2 KotC sales per month are ok, but BotS haven't sold anything in the last 3 months, so I better get a distribution deal..."

To give Picard's face and palm some rest, I don't suppose anyone could ask the original Prosper to 3D-model us a picture of Spock saying 'Live long and PROSPER', just for newsposts like these?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indie developers. Indie developers never change.

Show me a single other indie developer this fucking stupid.

I was just trolling. Though there were times when some other indie developers were more bone-headed about digital distribution - famously Jeff Vogel, and even our dear Vault Dweller (although I think he was mostly concerned about them forcing him to reduce his prices).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Making A LOT of effort, I could understand his views that *the system* is evil and he want full control of his shit and all that... but any fleeting logic crumbles down when he says he wants to publish BotS but no KotC.

"Man, those 2 KotC sales per month are ok, but BotS haven't sold anything in the last 3 months, so I better get a distribution deal..."
Actually this makes sense, he wants total control over the profitable stuff and is trying to squeeze some profit from the unprofitable one.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Indie developers. Indie developers never change.

Show me a single other indie developer this fucking stupid.

I was just trolling. Though there were times when some other indie developers were more bone-headed about digital distribution - famously Jeff Vogel, and even our dear Vault Dweller (although I think he was mostly concerned about them forcing him to reduce his prices).
Eh? I signed 3 contracts when they were offered, being fully aware that I will benefit a lot more than the portals. They can replace my game with another, I can't replace the 3 top portals.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Actually this makes sense, he wants total control over the profitable stuff and is trying to squeeze some profit from the unprofitable one.
But that implies that KotC is still profitable... seriously, how many copies can a 4 years old game, niche as fuck, and with no promotion anywhere still sell?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh? I signed 3 contracts when they were offered, being fully aware that I will benefit a lot more than the portals. They can replace my game with another, I can't replace the 3 top portals.

Like I said, this was in the past.

Oh noes! What will we do now?

I don't really care about Steam (in a "I don't expect it to perform miracles" sense) or other portals because I'm not sure that AoD has the right appeal to benefit from such exposure. Text-heavy, turn-based RPGs without monsters and magic don't tend to sell a lot, do they?

I've heard rumours that certain individuals whom you work with were most distressed about this attitude of yours back then. :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
But that implies that KotC is still profitable... seriously, how many copies can a 4 years old game, niche as fuck, and with no promotion anywhere still sell?
Well, he should know better that anyone else, no?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Gog even offers upfront money http://af.gog.com/indie?as=1649904300

We offer you an advance on royalties.

This way you get some extra budget to put the final polish on your game and feel more confident about us as your business partner. Learn more!

p. sure they'd consider this for KotC2, they just aren't interested in BotS. Why? Dunno, never tried it, but from what I've read from those who tried it out, it sucked. Perhaps GoG knows this too. That rubs Pierre the wrong way I guess.

Regvard

Arcane
Didn't he have some licence issues with KoTC and D&D? Maybe that's why he is trying to sweep it under the rug.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Marketing people or libertarians, which is better and why? :troll:

Also, looking back at KotC in general, what makes me laugh about it the most to this day is the fact that I've actually heard about it from Andhaira of all people.

Lhynn

Arcane
I pirated that game without even meaning to, i dled it from some site (cant even remember were) and i thought it was a piece of shit freeware that id play when i had the time. It wasnt until i tried that i saw how wrong i was, and it wasnt till i came to the codex that i learned the game was actually for sale and known.
And i cant be the only one, this game needs more promotion, putting it on GoG will help not only its sales, but its image as well.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's all about power:

:P

Also funny that he complains about no one paying him to work on KotC2... except that if he agreed to GOG's offer I'm pretty sure he'd get enough money to cover at least a significant part of the development.
So if all he cares about is power, and not sales, why does he demand that people support his new RTS to get a new RPG? Wait, hold on, if he doesn't care why is he even talking to GOG and other publishers about it?

I'm so confused.

Didn't he have some licence issues with KoTC and D&D? Maybe that's why he is trying to sweep it under the rug.
It uses Open Game License, but that doesn't exactly rule out Wizards either.

Castanova

Prophet
This whole thing makes me said because I get the distinct feeling that even if he successfully finished KotC 2 it's going to end up being a huge disappointment. It really does seem like he doesn't understand how good KotC was while simultaneously failing to understand how bad BotS was which means, basically, he's the luckiest fucker to ever luckbox a lucky classic game. This also means he'd have to multiply that luck by a million bazillion in order for KotC 2 to be even just as good as the original, let alone better.

Rake

Arcane
This whole thing makes me said because I get the distinct feeling that even if he successfully finished KotC 2 it's going to end up being a huge disappointment. It really does seem like he doesn't understand how good KotC was while simultaneously failing to understand how bad BotS was which means, basically, he's the luckiest fucker to ever luckbox a lucky classic game. This also means he'd have to multiply that luck by a million bazillion in order for KotC 2 to be even just as good as the original, let alone better.
Maybe he knew what he was doing, and he just doesn't like it so much. Maybe you can make good games without having a burning passion for them, just knowledge. Or maybe he wants to try different things and he is angry because the fans want only KotC and sequels.

Jashiin

Arcane
infinibro is right though, this is phil fish level of whining. Right now his platform of distribution is his website, which competes with none other than the mother of all distribution platforms: the bay of pirates. You'd think he would want to level the playing field..what a butthurt moron.

getter77

Augur
Wow, thinking back, I don't know that there's ever been a dramatically locked topic on there before. I need to check in more often!

All in all, I do hope GoG, Gamersgate, Indiegamestand, etc can ultimately come to work out for KotC and the sequel that works for all parties involved---quality games benefit all portals for such and there's quite likely lots of folks still out there that would dig it if only they could encounter it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Wow, thinking back, I don't know that there's ever been a dramatically locked topic on there before. I need to check in more often!

All in all, I do hope GoG, Gamersgate, Indiegamestand, etc can ultimately come to work out for KotC and the sequel that works for all parties involved---quality games benefit all portals for such and there's quite likely lots of folks still out there that would dig it if only they could encounter it.

You're right, I don't remember that he had ever locked down a topic or warned an user. Didn't know that he would get so riled up about a simple "nobody cares about BotS". I even said "no offense", but it didn't help:-(

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Begue is a dumbfuck.

BotS is a shit game.

I will buy KotC gladly when he stops being a dumbfuck, admits that BotS is shit and

...puts his game available in a distribution channel where I can buy it and rest assured that the download will still be waiting for me when I have the time to play the game. And one that I actually use often enough to be reminded of the fact that I did buy a copy of the game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Seriously VoD, who do you think you are ? Your opinion is like, your opinion.

About Knights of the Chalice RPG
Topics 276 Posts 2315

About Battle of the Sands RTS
Topics 4 Posts 58

See ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom