Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year 2011: RPGCodex Top 3

Mortmal

Arcane
Then by order of interest:
Dark souls
The witcher 2
Skyrim

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Dark Souls

Only vote, unless I can multiply it by three.
Same here, best RPG in the last decade. Combat is perfect and doing quests with no compass, quests journal or even knowing you recieved a quest brings back all the sense of unkown and adventure Skyrim and New Vegas will never have. Also, holy shit, this game has tons of C&C and hidden things, and no multi saves/load, I keep dloing things and wanting to start a new game to see how hey would turn out have I chosen other path.

If it was released for PC, the Codex would stop all those shitty Skyrim threads and enter a new golden age. :salute:

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
felipepepe said:
Same here, best RPG in the last decade. Combat is perfect and doing quests with no compass, quests journal or even knowing you recieved a quest brings back all the sense of unkown and adventure Skyrim and New Vegas will never have. Also, holy shit, this game has tons of C&C and hidden things, and no multi saves/load, I keep dloing things and wanting to start a new game to see how hey would turn out have I chosen other path.

If it was released for PC, the Codex would stop all those shitty Skyrim threads and enter a new golden age. :salute:
Quoted for truth.
Some great moments, Gwynevere, crossbreed Priscilla. And the MP simply rocks, it is so nice seeing other people die.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gragt said:
Hm, I didn't play many games from this year, so I'm not sure I should post anything. I played some good stuff, like SpaceChem, but the rest is from previous years so …

Well, even if you only played one game this year and enjoyed it, I don't see why you shouldn't vote for it. It's all about the overall number of thumbs-up a game receives, anyway. So feel free to put your vote for SpaceChem.

Dicksmoker said:
Was New Vegas this year?

No, but you can vote for the DLC if you feel like it. EDIT: I see Jack already pointed that out.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jesus, most of the games I've finished and enjoyed this year were not from 2011 but there were a couple that stood above the dross:

The Witcher 2
Deus Ex HR
Panzer Corps

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hearts of Iron III: For the Motherland
Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Nothing else at the moment (maybe some New Vegas DLC will get here if I get to play it before 2012.).

Mortmal

Arcane
come on people, vote. We know you dont like rpgs, but now i wonder if you like video games even....

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
DARK SOULS

I THINK EVERYTHING ELSE I BOUGHT THAT I LIKED THIS YEAR WAS OLD I KNOW MY PC STUFF WAS MAYBE I SHOULD CHECK MY FAGBOX PROFILE

THIS SHOULD BE THE CONSOLE GAME THAT CROSSES OVER TO THE BEST RPG LIST AND BESTOWS THE GREAT GIFT OF BRIANS UPONS PCTARDS LIKE SKYWAY

Stinger

Arcane
I spent most of the year playing through a backlog but out of this year's games that I played I enjoyed DXHR and Portal 2, DXHR moreso I'd say.

Neither game was particularly amazing but I did have a lot of fun.

BLOBERT said:
DARK SOULS

I THINK EVERYTHING ELSE I BOUGHT THAT I LIKED THIS YEAR WAS OLD I KNOW MY PC STUFF WAS MAYBE I SHOULD CHECK MY FAGBOX PROFILE

THIS SHOULD BE THE CONSOLE GAME THAT CROSSES OVER TO THE BEST RPG LIST AND BESTOWS THE GREAT GIFT OF BRIANS UPONS PCTARDS LIKE SKYWAY

You, sir, are the truest BRO of them all.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dark Souls
Terraria

Thats it I guess. Though I have to say, Dark Souls is way the hell up there. I'm trying to be objective since it's still fairly new, but it's honestly among my top 5 favourite games I've ever played right now. Even if it falls considerably a year or two from now, it'll likely easily be in my top 10. And it's not even a genre I'm particularly fond of.

Dark Souls
The Binding of Isaac

I enjoyed Portal 2, Terraria, and DE:HR, but would feel weird about nominating them for GOTY. I've also got the remastered ICO / SotC bundle that came out this year and am enjoying it, but again, feels weird for a GOTY nomination. Only Dark Souls is truly worthy. And I threw in TBoI just cause... well hey, I liked it! It's right in there with Minecraft as one of my goto games to pull up while watching sports or something.

MCA
Could someone make a list of all games of note released in 2011? I haven't played many games released in 2011. Been trying to burn some of that massive backlog of older games for a while now. But so far:

F:NV DLCs
TW2
DX:HR or Skyrim for the third spot. Throw a coin or I may pick one over the other later. But I think I'm leaning more towards Skyrim. If MW did good enough to be in a lot of folks' top lists all the way back in early 2000s, then Skyrim also does in 2011. It's like a Morrowind+ on many levels.

Other 2011 games I have played are:

Gemini Rue is a good game but I've simply enjoyed the above games a lot more.

To The Moon is a fantastic game and but even calling it a game is kind of pushing it. And for the record, I despise JRPG graphics. I really fought myself all the way while playing the game to avoid quitting and that tells something about the game's quality, I guess. If you haven't played it yet, give it a try.

Dungeon Siege 3 isn't half-bad and it's the most solid Obsidian title to date in technical terms (ie. no bugs). Story is okay, lore is somewhat interesting, art direction and graphics mostly beautiful. One of the PCs you can pick have great bouncing tits and is a joy to look at. But the game is just dull.

Frayed Knights (demo) I really wanted to play but the demo crashes at runtime so I never bothered with it again, sadly. If you're reading this Coyote, well, it crashes on a 64 bit W7.

Edge (demo), a very polished arcadey platformer but the novelty died after 10 minutes.

Dead Island was the majestic disappointment of the year. This could have easily been top 10 material if they didn't decide to depart from the original premise for a consolish arcade shit.

COD Majestic Warfare 3: Majestic LOLz. I played it to see just how much more extreme they could go over the previous games. Now that they've started and finished the most retarded half-assed WW3 attempt, I just wonder what new avenues they will explore to top in the next COD game. Maybe they will go futuristic on everyone's asses?

Sadly, I don't have a PS3 just yet hence no Dark Souls for me.

1451 said:
Gray Matter
asper said:
Gray Matter
Jack said:
Gray Matter
MaskedMan said:
Gray Matter
Surf Solar said:
Amnesia: The dark Decent

Go back to 2010, bitches.

What's E.Y.E about anyway? I've watched trailers and all I know is that it's this wacky indie game with lots of neat options but feels very unpolished and rather aimless. Is there actually a single player campaign? A story?

Gerrard

Arcane
The Witcher 2
Terraria

Not sure about the third spot yet, still a few games I haven't tried but I want to and have hopes for.

MCA
Looks like Amnesia: The Dark Descent got a DLC in 2011, titled Justine that is only loosely connected to the original game. Has anyone played it? If it's as good as Amnesia, I might have to revise my top 3.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've extended the voting deadline to 15 Jan, by the way, since some of the games will only be released in late December -- like SWTOR, for example, which officially launches on 20 Dec.

villain of the story said:
What's E.Y.E about anyway? I've watched trailers and all I know is that it's this wacky indie game with lots of neat options but feels very unpolished and rather aimless. Is there actually a single player campaign? A story?

It's about, um, demons? memory? loyalty? war?.. I dunno how to describe it best, really. It was probably the most unorthodox game of 2011 to me. The setting is cool, the combat is fun (and non-popamole), and the attention to detail is there, despite many things being broken. I wouldn't say there is a story, even though there is a single player campaign, yes. There is, of course, the mystery of your past, factions, lore, etc., but it never really comes to a satisfactory resolution, so if a storyline is what you're looking for, the game doesn't really have that.

What it does have, is lots of potential. Here's hoping for a sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom