Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gameplay Guide] Rance X: Decisive Battle

Jason Liang

Arcane
what does it mean to 1-turn a country? I keep seeing that term but I do not understand. My guess is you liberate a country in one turn, but wont the quest end after you defeat a fiend? Or is it by winning the first appearance
Yes, you have to defeat the fiend on the first appearance (or in case of Lei, before the final appearance), then you have the option to continue to the 2nd fiend.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
what does it mean to 1-turn a country? I keep seeing that term but I do not understand. My guess is you liberate a country in one turn, but wont the quest end after you defeat a fiend? Or is it by winning the first appearance
Did you manage to find an interface patch, or just soldiering on regardless?

1 turning a country means defeating both 魔人 in the same phase. Sometimes this means you have to win in the first encounter, sometimes it just means you have to win before the final encounter. You can usually tell by looking at how the path forks in the map if you'll get another chance.

Regardless, you will almost never get to rest between the fights and both battles tend to be the hardest variant of each so 1 turning (or double suppression as is the term the game uses) is probably not something you can pull off without some NG+ bonuses, or towards the mid/end game of a good NG run.

You also on net get much fewer cards and probably also less xp for double suppressing relative to normal clears, so you get weaker relative to the difficulty curve when you do it.

I think the only reasonable country to 1-turn on your first run would be Zeth, as long as rng favors you. Win the eating context against the first dude, then kill medusa (and skip some nightmare fuel). And I believe is easier to achieve it as your first liberation (as long as you got good cards) before the game scales things.

For getting an A ending 1-turning one country will give you some breathing room at least.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Babolat + Kesselring is very doable on turn 2, and difficult but still possible on turn 3. Babolat is not the issue, its Kesselring :D
Lei is very beatable, you just need to burst him down with the team effort. And Pi-R is the easiest Darklord.
Beating Galtia in the first straight fight will also lead to Medusa, and both can be beat at a high difficulty as well (not the eating contest though).
La Hawzel is too difficult, you need to have access to many different abilities to defeat her in time. As I've said several times, she's the most difficult boss fight in rpg history. Silky I think you can beat late turns, since afaik she doesn't scale.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Babolat is not the issue, its Kesselring :D
I only did it once, but I had more issues with babo's foot than kesselring, weird as it sounds. It's just tricky to burst down that much hp in such a limited turn number.
Lei is very beatable, you just need to burst him down with the team effort. And Pi-R is the easiest Darklord.
This is probably the easiest one to get NG, although you do need to pick the correct character in the kalar mission. Fulls ice attacks are key, freeze + ice weakness rng will take you all the way. Of course, you miss out on some really good cards if you double suppress free cities....
Silky I think you can beat late turns, since afaik she doesn't scale.
She doesn't, but man are her base stats high. Iirc you need to pull off 8 200k attacks, or 100k attacks if you can disrupt her armor. That's pretty tricky even on like turn 9 or something, at least without NG+ bonuses. Iirc on my NG run I had like 50-60k strength at the very end, which puts 100k very much in reach but the time requirement is still a bit tricksy.

For getting an A ending 1-turning one country will give you some breathing room at least.
It's really not necessary for most of the A endings imo.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Babo's foot is easier on turn 3 (assuming you got Lei in turn 2) and harder on turn 2 (where you got to get lucky with best kalar queen and have only a few medal bonuses :D ).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Babo's foot is easier on turn 3 (assuming you got Lei in turn 2) and harder on turn 2 (where you got to get lucky with best kalar queen and have only a few medal bonuses :D ).
I mean realistically, on turn 2 you have 0 medal bonuses on NG no? Or maybe 1, I don't recall.
I did it on turn 3 after double supressing zeth iirc, but I also had like 7 NG+ bonuses...

kami-nii-

Literate
Did you manage to find an interface patch, or just soldiering on regardless?

1 turning a country means defeating both 魔人 in the same phase. Sometimes this means you have to win in the first encounter, sometimes it just means you have to win before the final encounter. You can usually tell by looking at how the path forks in the map if you'll get another chance.

Regardless, you will almost never get to rest between the fights and both battles tend to be the hardest variant of each so 1 turning (or double suppression as is the term the game uses) is probably not something you can pull off without some NG+ bonuses, or towards the mid/end game of a good NG run.

You also on net get much fewer cards and probably also less xp for double suppressing relative to normal clears, so you get weaker relative to the difficulty curve when you do it.
Thanks for the clarification, and yeah I found an interface patch and it helped me understanding the skills right away. I can read basic japanese fine so I can read the names.
Can i ask about CP bonuses? Should I avoid the "all cards available" since new cards will be superior or am i misunderstanding it?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the clarification, and yeah I found an interface patch and it helped me understanding the skills right away. I can read basic japanese fine so I can read the names.
Could you link the interface patch here for posterity?
Can i ask about CP bonuses? Should I avoid the "all cards available" since new cards will be superior or am i misunderstanding it?
I have not done a full playthrough with all cards, but I have been told some of the new cards tend towards the overpowered side. In the ~2 turns I did of it I didn't encounter any overpowered cards though, despite being on hard mode (twice as many card drops).

All the CP bonuses make you stronger though. Bit of you want to clear the harder postgame fights you're probably gonna need at least one playthrough with some ++EXP RATE bonuses.

Beyond that I guess I'll just say don't bother with hard mode unless you can also run at least both +5 rank bonuses, because I think it's just impossible without it.

I'd also recommend to tic the option to not repeat meal ticket events.

kami-nii-

Literate
Another question, how do i keep my countries advantagous? Im still in my first playthrough and 3 countries fell at the same time... I can only get my countries to be neutral (no arrow) but not further than that. Im doing the support missions every prep phase, am i still doing it wrong?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Another question, how do i keep my countries advantagous? Im still in my first playthrough and 3 countries fell at the same time... I can only get my countries to be neutral (no arrow) but not further than that. Im doing the support missions every prep phase, am i still doing it wrong?
Battle advantage increases when you do a primary mission in that region (ie, kill a majin or a general). Then it decreases every turn afterwards.

The prep missions give you fruits of battle (chaos swords) which reduce army and civilian losses for that turn.

Depending on the ratio between friendly and hostile soldiers in the area, the advantage can also be affected iirc, but it's mostly doing primary missions that will get you results. Especially as that's the only way to inflict large casualties on the hostiles.

Remember that a bad ending is just as valid as a good ending!

kami-nii-

Literate
Battle advantage increases when you do a primary mission in that region (ie, kill a majin or a general). Then it decreases every turn afterwards.
I mean i tried my best to balance out my operation phases by prioritizing the country with the most difference in casualty and prep phase with the 2nd most (also conquered shangri la turn 5, miki turn 6). I could only manage to liberate either zeth or leazas :/ and the other 3 countries collapse at turn 12 (the countries have 30-50k troops left before turn 12)... I know its my first playthrough but I dont think I did anything wrong so far?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I mean i tried my best to balance out my operation phases by prioritizing the country with the most difference in casualty and prep phase with the 2nd most (also conquered shangri la turn 5, miki turn 6). I could only manage to liberate either zeth or leazas :/ and the other 3 countries collapse at turn 12 (the countries have 30-50k troops left before turn 12)... I know its my first playthrough but I dont think I did anything wrong so far?
If you were doing enough things right to get an A ending you'd have won by turn 12, or at least reached a point where losing countries no longer matters
You can check how many losses a country will take next turn, iirc at least 30-50k (3万-5万) losses are expected each turn unless you get some swords. If you are liberating zeth/leazas on turn 12 you should be able to keep at least one other country alive by getting 2 swords there in prep phase.
For reference, this is my first game on turn 12 start:
0a3bb6b6e627bb78da7336826c2dafcd.png
I wound up liberating both leazas and free cities from there iirc. But as you can see both are a single unassisted turn away from collapse, and I've already lost helman (several turns ago: I let them die to lower the amount of rance 9 spoilers I would encounter).

So I guess you are doing marginally worse than I did? You're not really expected to do well on first game, just be happy you didn't get forced to abandon Rance castle! (Or sad, because that's a somewhat optimal outcome from a metagaming perspective). And you only need a single surviving country to not get game over'd.

There is some RNG involved, after turn 9 (iirc) countries can roll 'massive advance' (or something like that, it's a big red arrow on the country detail screen) which leads to double casualties. You really want to make sure you mitigate those. Otherwise the solution to not lose countries is to git gud and double suppress, but it's really hard on NG.

kami-nii-

Literate
I've already lost helman (several turns ago
dang my enemy troops are atleast all 100k+ I must have not be doing that well as I thinked I did hopefully i just do better next time.

There is some RNG involved, after turn 9 (iirc) countries can roll 'massive advance'
oof maybe this was why I didnt do well? I just looked at numbers... thanks again man, Im trying to liberate free cities by turn 11 (by using older save) hopefully I still get from the sea ending :D(sad if not)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
oof maybe this was why I didnt do well? I just looked at numbers... thanks again man, Im trying to liberate free cities by turn 11 (by using older save) hopefully I still get from the sea ending :D(sad if not)
If memory serves you don't need to liberate free cities to get from the sea, it just needs to not be destroyed. And Rance needs to have seen the boats before the turn the ocean rises up

Sunri

Liturgist
Without replacing files, game crashes during first fight when selecting skill did anyone had this problem?
zSlbdAr.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, I copied this to my game folder replaced files, and now I get 3 error messages when booting game.
Without replacing files, game crashes during first fight when selecting skill did anyone had this problem?
Weird. I had no problems even when running the translation. Did you remember to patch to the latest version?

Sunri

Liturgist
Hmm, I copied this to my game folder replaced files, and now I get 3 error messages when booting game.
Weird. I had no problems even when running the translation. Did you remember to patch to the latest version?
No I didn't install them, I didn't even install the game it looks like this
iso files

19Xr6kF.png

First folder

pdaFIEu.png

Second Folder

GT2vlzU.png

Third Folder

xfrZDiq.png

I just clicked rance10 icon, and it launched the game if I run installer it asks for directory and I get some error message during installation.

fobMJMf.png

sWCp1OD.png

ZTTitio.png

0lrga2h.png

2fOB7OL.png

ZQiziqo.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
iso files

19Xr6kF.png

First folder

pdaFIEu.png

Second Folder

GT2vlzU.png

Third Folder

xfrZDiq.png

I just clicked rance10 icon, and it launched the game if I run installer it asks for directory and I get some error message during installation.

fobMJMf.png

sWCp1OD.png

ZTTitio.png

0lrga2h.png

2fOB7OL.png

ZQiziqo.png
I think you do have to install it. Also, switch your OS to japanese locale while running the installer (and the game).

Sunri

Liturgist
iso files

19Xr6kF.png

First folder

pdaFIEu.png

Second Folder

GT2vlzU.png

Third Folder

xfrZDiq.png

fobMJMf.png

sWCp1OD.png

ZTTitio.png

0lrga2h.png

2fOB7OL.png

ZQiziqo.png
I think you do have to install it. Also, switch your OS to japanese locale while running the installer (and the game).

It works now, thank you.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
iso files

19Xr6kF.png

First folder

pdaFIEu.png

Second Folder

GT2vlzU.png

Third Folder

xfrZDiq.png

fobMJMf.png

sWCp1OD.png

ZTTitio.png

0lrga2h.png

2fOB7OL.png

ZQiziqo.png

It works now, thank you.
Let me recommend you to patch the game asap: patches fuck with what lines of dialogue have been previously seen, so you want to get it done early.

Sunri

Liturgist
I installed all of them and English interface 2 still hard to get a grip what's going on, can I use chaos or item cards just sit there?
9DlSX0X.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I installed all of them and English interface 2 still hard to get a grip what's going on, can I use chaos or item cards just sit there?
9DlSX0X.png
Item cards can not be chosen to lead, but otherwise they function like any other card.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom