Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where you can be the bad guy

SumDrunkGuy

I'm pretty impressed with how evil you can be in Weird West. It starts out with your son and dog getting murdered and you can literally steal bones from their corpses and toss them off in a ditch. The game also lets you slaughter childrens' parents right in front of them on numerous occassions. The Sinking City is another one that lets you be a real prick. I already posted this in a different thread but the game gives you the option of poisoning a large amount of the city's impoverished citizens with ricin. It was great. The game puts it's foot down when it comes to the KKK though. Allowing your mass murdering psychopath to be a racist was just too far over the line for Frogware.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I picture fallout boy and many vault dwellers being sterile due to traces of radiation over the years (there must have been some residue radiation coming down the ventilation ducts or something for so many generations). Add that to this idea I have of you not being able to perform with a female and I just can't imagine you being a father, good or bad, late bloomer. But I can imagine you having, um, relations with that baby. Forgive me.

I am not surprised that is what you see, creep. Your imagination does you no favors.

Same, cunt. Your brain does you no favors.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The "premium" NWN module Darkness Over Daggerford had a noticeably evil, rather unsubtle path you could take that was a bit much. You could collect the blood of children you sacrificed and gain benefits in black crafting. Never did it myself. It was ultimately a souless game. Slick and competent but souless.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I would consider Garett in Thief evil, if you decide to murder everyone instead of just knocking them out. You can do some pretty malicious things, like throwing unconscious people into rivers to let them drown, or throwing them into fire to burn or simply toss them from great height. I think you can also feed them to animals though I'm not 100% sure about that one. Or release zombies to let them feast on the living. But you always end up saving everyone, which is sort of tied to saving yourself. So you can't escape being a little bit good. Overall you can either be an anti-hero or right out evil.

Pulse

Educated
I would consider Garett in Thief evil, if you decide to murder everyone instead of just knocking them out. You can do some pretty malicious things, like throwing unconscious people into rivers to let them drown, or throwing them into fire to burn or simply toss them from great height. I think you can also feed them to animals though I'm not 100% sure about that one. Or release zombies to let them feast on the living. But you always end up saving everyone, which is sort of tied to saving yourself. So you can't escape being a little bit good. Overall you can either be an anti-hero or right out evil.

Yeah, Thief (and also The Dark Mod which I had played) automatically puts you in a position where you are in a gray moral zone, at best.

Pulse

Educated
I'm pretty impressed with how evil you can be in Weird West. It starts out with your son and dog getting murdered and you can literally steal bones from their corpses and toss them off in a ditch. The game also lets you slaughter childrens' parents right in front of them on numerous occassions. The Sinking City is another one that lets you be a real prick. I already posted this in a different thread but the game gives you the option of poisoning a large amount of the city's impoverished citizens with ricin. It was great. The game puts it's foot down when it comes to the KKK though. Allowing your mass murdering psychopath to be a racist was just too far over the line for Frogware.

Thanks for the reply, Weird West actually looks cool! Incidentally I happen to like this setting too, after having read a couple of old western books.

Pulse

Educated
The "premium" NWN module Darkness Over Daggerford had a noticeably evil, rather unsubtle path you could take that was a bit much. You could collect the blood of children you sacrificed and gain benefits in black crafting. Never did it myself. It was ultimately a souless game. Slick and competent but souless.

I'll probably take a look at Darkness over Daggerford, I have it on my wishlist. I've also seen plenty of people in general recommending NWN.

Pulse

Educated
Overlord obviously.
Tyranny in rpg.

Most game will just give you the option of acting evil, but due to narrative restriction, you're still going to more or less do the same thing, expect you're a douchbag.

Thanks, both look cool actually. Is Tyranny party based or can you also solo it?

Pulse

Educated
I will add to the list a couple of games that came to my mind (though more in the strategy department): Total war warhammer, you can play as chaos.

And of course the Command and Conquer series, you can play as NOD. And both sides are interesting.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Temple of Elemental Evil. I haven't played it in a long time but I'm pretty sure you can join the evil side.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sarathiour

Cipher
Overlord obviously.
Tyranny in rpg.

Most game will just give you the option of acting evil, but due to narrative restriction, you're still going to more or less do the same thing, expect you're a douchbag.

Thanks, both look cool actually. Is Tyranny party based or can you also solo it?

Intended to play as a party of 4, but the game is pretty easy to abuse and keep getting easier. If you can manage to clear chapter 1 solo, rest of the game is going to be a smooth sail. Anyway, don't play this for a tactical challenge, it has quite a few issue, redirect yourself to the appropriate thread if you want to talk about it.

SilentSeeker

Novice
It's more "brutally ambutious pragmatism" than "saturday morning cartoonery", but the Crusader Kings series lets you pull off seme interesting things.

I once captured the Byzantine Empress while raiding Constantinople and forced her into concubinage, then started a war to put our son on the throne. Naturally, the Greeks didn't take kindly to being ruled by a Norwegian, but sacrificing a few rebellious nobles to Odin calmed them down- for a while. One rebellion got lucky and killed him in battle, shortly before disease took me, and I wound up as my Greek Asatru grandson who had the choice of whether to sacrifice or castrate each captured rebel.

Plus, the official forum once produced a topic titled "I accidentally impregnated the Pope", which is my favorite title for anything, ever, so hey, bonus points.

Zlaja

Arcane
Taking the evil route in Jade Empire is pretty fun. Remember the final scene being quite shockingly morbid.

Also:

Low-level invader in Dark Souls trilogy. :troll:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
How?
Joining the master yields an ending, but I don’t think it’s a legitimate one.

You could just take the water chip from Necropolis and kill them, but it does it have its own special ending for doing so?

I don’t recall situations where you can do truly evil and meaningful things.

Last edited:

Utfärd

Arcanum lets you butcher basically everyone, torture souls for information, raise victims as fodder, become a dark god etc. If you're truly disgustingly evil you can even work for gnomes.

Age of Decadence offers plenty of opportunities to murder, extort, bribe and backstab, you can also pull off some great moustache-twirling Herve Caen type sabotage.

Alpha Centauri allows you to use nerve gas, man-made plagues, super nukes and good old mass killings, also lets you impose mass brainwashing, etc.

Floor 13 simulates a secret government agency tasked with preventing "scandals" and threats to British Democracy, primarily by means of assassinations, torture and smear campaigns.

Gangsters: Organized Crime is all about dominating a city through extortion, murder, bombings, robbery, gambling, bribery and so on. Also lets you torture captured rivals for information.

Planetescape: Tournament lets you lie, cheat, kill, steal, betray and sell your companions into slavery, talk people into suicide, abuse your followers until they go mad etc.

Serpent in the Staglands allows you to brainwash people, sell them into slavery, use them as sacrifices to solve puzzles and buddy up with murderers and a cool boss monster.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is another no-brainer, you can feed on people, dominate their minds and kill innocents in several hilarious ways.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paper Sorcerer. You are an evil sorcerer who just escaped imprisonment. And you can summon all sorts of baddies to aid you (werewolves, ghosts, skeletons, etc, etc...)

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
"reverse-horror" games where you play as the monster or killer are worth mentioning, like the recent "Friday the 13th" or "Carrion" where you play as the alien creature killing the scientists and such.

SumDrunkGuy

Hatred looks wonderfully unsavory and seems like it would give pure delight to your inner active shooter.

Lol, no body would even know that game existed if it wasn't for game journos getting all butthurt over it. They gave it free advertisement.

jackofshadows

Magister
Arcanum/VTMB/Fallout/P:T/AoD instantly come to mind but been posted. Plenty of ways to be a true moster there. Both ATOM games allows that too in its own, branded awkward way.

BG/BG2 evil parties - why not?

Might and Magic VII

Upcoming Colony Ship currently features a way to increase biotech skill by offering to install an implant to companion, have them die and then extract it back :D Plenty of backstabbing in general of all sorts.

Also, I was impressed recently with how scummish protagonist might be in RDR2 There's also GTA games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom