Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Games you have beaten in 2022

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Star Control Origins - OK
Titan Outpost - OK-good
Ultima VII - Good, was not first time
Sunless Sea - OK
Remnants (MOO clone) - OK for what it is
Stars in Shadow (moo clone) - OK for what it is
X3 Farnham's Legacy - OK
Borderlands 3 and some add-ons - OK
Biomutant - not bad for what it is, i.e. for kids and furries
Gamedec - meh
Kona - OK
Terraformers - meh
Halo: Reach, Halo: CE - OK
Planet Crafter, played so far as early access goes - more meh with each update
Sagebrush - meh
Beckett - some commie shit game IIRC
Ankh - meh
Kane&Lynch 1 and 2 - both meh and really short
AC Valhalla and some add-ons - meh, Odyssey was better
Metro: Exodus - OK
Wanderlust: Transsiberian - shit
Might and Magic X: Legacy - meh

and Impossible mission on the Vice C64 emulator - glorious.
Note: I notice there are like two or three things that qualify as CRPG's.

Beggar

Cipher
Mostly replays like always.

My favorites that I finished this year for the first time:

1. Pathologic 2. Four playthroughs, steam shows 114 hours. Says a lot with just a few lines of dialogue, breaks so many rules and shatters many things you expect from a video game. No idea how they managed to pull it off when the project itself is so vast and big. The most ambitious modern game I ever played.
2. Dungeon Rats. Steam shows 92 hours, ugh. Yeah.
3. Echo Night: Beyond. I try to think as hard as I can, but I can't think of any other game that has the same feeling as EN:B. In league of its own really.

Jonnaz

Educated
Bloodborne - 10/10
Dark Souls 3 - 8/10
The Witcher 3 - 9/10
Fallout 4 - 6/10
Alien Isolation - 8/10
Uncharted 1 - 5/10
Uncharted 2 - 8/10

Trojan_generic

Magister
X3 Farnham's Legacy - OK
How does it hold up to X4+DLC?
It's almost like a different game. Depends largely on if you like X3 series more than X4. I did not like X4 too much, but I played it on release and still have some unplayed DLC for it. In my opinion the whole series took a huge turn for the worse already in X3:AP when the un-jumpable sectors were introduced. Highways killed the rest, there are truck simulators already.

PapaPetro

X3 Farnham's Legacy - OK
It's almost like a different game. Depends largely on if you like X3 series more than X4. I did not like X4 too much, but I played it on release and still have some unplayed DLC for it. In my opinion the whole series took a huge turn for the worse already in X3:AP when the un-jumpable sectors were introduced. Highways killed the rest, there are truck simulators already.
Interesting takes. Especially the highway/trucker mechanic analogy.
What do you think would've made the game/series better?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance - :5/5::3/5:. Really great RTS. I used to play multiplayer a lot long ago but never finished the campaigns so decided to fix that mistake. Only reason I'm not rating it higher is because I personally prefer the C&C and *Craft styled RTS games.
Curious, how did you get around the issue of the game performing horribly on modern, multi-threaded rigs?

Trojan_generic

Magister
X3 Farnham's Legacy - OK
Some small things could have been improved, like the AI on battles for sectors where you are not present. Better stats in that sense that you could compare different production chains in-game and see how much money comes in per hour/day for example. A lot of players build enormous complexes and complain that the autopilot or the ship AI does not go around their factories anymore. To me it's a miracle it works as well as it does.

There would certainly be room for more tailored or perhaps at least chained but randomly generated missions.

Many people wanted a dynamic war, I did not play the FL so far I would have seen how it goes, only finished one of the plots. But it's supposed to improve on this. I've played these since X2 so I start to feel that I don't need to play 1,000 hours every game, just looking at what's new (I seem to have done 200 h on this year's playthrough though, but part of the time the game was just running and I was doing something else). Other thing in FL was some added motivation for exploration, does not hurt. FL is generally more difficult as the race rep is not so easy to raise IIRC. But some people say the game only starts when you have massive fleets combatting each other, I'm not sure I ever bothered reaching that point.

The trucking problem is that if you spend 30 min in-game just to get from place a to place b without anything happening, it's not exactly how I want to spend my time. You can shorten it with SETA, but then you can't do anything else in-game in the meantime (and have to re-activate after jumps so it still is a chore).

Suicidal

Arcane
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance - :5/5::3/5:. Really great RTS. I used to play multiplayer a lot long ago but never finished the campaigns so decided to fix that mistake. Only reason I'm not rating it higher is because I personally prefer the C&C and *Craft styled RTS games.
Curious, how did you get around the issue of the game performing horribly on modern, multi-threaded rigs?
Depends on how modern you're talking. When I played it I was still on my older PC, i5-4460 and Nvidia 1060. I also had Forged Alliance Forever installed, which is sort of like a multiplayer client + fan patch, so maybe that fixes the issues that I didn't even know exist.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Cool, need to try that. I tried playing it on my brand new ring like a 1.5 year ago and it lagged af already in the first mission.

zapotec

Liturgist
Wasteland 3
Max Payne 3

Might and Magic 3
Might and Magic 4: Is it worth to continue to dark side of Xeen?

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Baldur's Gate EE - replay of BG, first time with EE
Demon's Souls x2 - replay
Dark Souls 2 - the original one, had only played scholar version before
Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin x3 - replay
Dark Souls 3 - replay
Elden Ring
Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia
Midnight Castle Succubus
Fallout - replay
VTMB - replay
Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga
Save Room - Organization Puzzle
Plants vs Zombies - replay

Given there are still a few more days in this year, will probably finish 2 more runs already in progress of DS2 Scholar and hopefully start and finish Ghost Song as well.

PapaPetro

X3 Farnham's Legacy - OK
Some small things could have been improved, like the AI on battles for sectors where you are not present. Better stats in that sense that you could compare different production chains in-game and see how much money comes in per hour/day for example. A lot of players build enormous complexes and complain that the autopilot or the ship AI does not go around their factories anymore. To me it's a miracle it works as well as it does.

There would certainly be room for more tailored or perhaps at least chained but randomly generated missions.

Many people wanted a dynamic war, I did not play the FL so far I would have seen how it goes, only finished one of the plots. But it's supposed to improve on this. I've played these since X2 so I start to feel that I don't need to play 1,000 hours every game, just looking at what's new (I seem to have done 200 h on this year's playthrough though, but part of the time the game was just running and I was doing something else). Other thing in FL was some added motivation for exploration, does not hurt. FL is generally more difficult as the race rep is not so easy to raise IIRC. But some people say the game only starts when you have massive fleets combatting each other, I'm not sure I ever bothered reaching that point.

The trucking problem is that if you spend 30 min in-game just to get from place a to place b without anything happening, it's not exactly how I want to spend my time. You can shorten it with SETA, but then you can't do anything else in-game in the meantime (and have to re-activate after jumps so it still is a chore).
Offchance, you play Starsector?
I would love to see the kinda economic/industrial/logistical simulation going on that game as the X4 tries to achieve.

As for the truckdriving problem, honestly I just Cheat Engine speed hack things to try to to SETA real life. I do this in all single player games where you find yourself in liminal activities like cruising from place to place or other examples of lack of fast travel thumb-twiddling.

Alien Rage
Aliens vs Predator (1994 arcade, replay)
Arkham Knight (trve ending, beat the living crap out of Riddler)
Battle Circuit
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs Powerful Rainbow Edition (hack)
D44M 2016
Doom Eternal (+ Ancient Gods 1 & 2)
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Final Fight LSS Ultimate
God of War 3
God o War: Ghost of Sparta
King of Dragons
Serious Sam: The First Encounter (as part of OG Xbox collection)
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (as part of OG Xbox collection)
Shin Megami Tensei V (replay, trve ending)
Spiderman 2018 (PS4 Pro)
Street Fighter 2 MIX (hack)
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Last edited:
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
First time playthroughs:
:4/5:
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake Beyond Belief
Shadow Warrior
Wolfenstein 3D (Episode 6 sucks ass and is worth a single troll at best)
Wolfenstein 3D Ultimate Challenge

:3/5:
Duke Nukem Forever
Duke Nukem Forever DLC
Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny

:2/5:
Amnesia Rebirth
Dear Esther (the HL2 mod)
STALKER Clear Sky

:0/5:
Postal 4

Replays:
:5/5:

Doom 1
Hitman Blood Money
Postal
Postal 2
Quake
STALKER SHOC
Thief Gold
Thief The Dark Project

:4/5:
Amnesia The Dark Descent
Postal 2 Paradise Lost
Thief 2

:3/5:
STALKER Call of Pripyat
STALKER Lost Alpha

3 others

Scholar
Technobabylon - :4/5: - Solid, tight point'n'click. Enjoyed how the game progresses as a series of relatively restricted set pieces. The story doesn't really sell the characters' interpersonal drama well enough tho.
Age of Decadence - :4/5: - There's a 1000-page thread about this game here. An ugly, janky piece of work with a combat system that doesn't really suit a single-player game but almost unique in its replayability and dynamic story arc.
Old World :3/5: - Such a wonderfully designed Civ-like/wargame bogged down by fake & gay modern sensibilities (gender politics foremost) and a remarkably lousy performance
Taiji :5/5: - Really enjoyable Witness-like abstract puzzle game. A good variety of well-designed brainteasers. Not a fan of pixel graphics or the characters blocky movement sprites but it does look nice on occasion.
La Mulana 2 :5/5: - The titan of 2D puzzle platforming. No idea why I put this off as long as I did. It surpasses its predecessor in every way. Puzzles are not quite as obtuse as in the 1st one, the music is glorious, the myths as bombastic as ever.
Cuphead :5/5: - Lives and dies by its audiovisual excellence which is off-the-charts good. The boss fights themselves aren't bad either.
Hotline Miami 2 :2/5: - Just like everyone said at the time, the core game doesn't really suit the long-distance shootouts in this game. The story is too disjointed but the visuals & soundtrack are pumping as expected.
Sephen's Sausage Roll :5/5: - Makes you feel like you dropped 50 IQ points at first. Actually, this game does it in the main menu already: "look at this fucking retard paying 30 bucks for a 90s suomiware looking piece of gore!". Did I just get... stephenrolled? Then you start and you can't even control the dude with the big-ass fork properly. Sausages rolling into ocean, drowning, burning helplessly. Little fork-man yelping in pain as hot coals sear his soles for the 98137953tth time. I just want to grill but "Lachrymose Head" has other ideas. Then it starts clicking. Then it clicks some more. Then it gets more complex. Then you're thinking with sausages.
Chuchel :2/5: - Not really my cup of tea at all. Click on random hotspots one after another. Repeat.
Flashback :2/5: - Harsh controls, surprisingly grindy gunplay and a stupid story. Hasn't really stood the test of time. Still looks nice, I must admit.
King of Dragon Pass :4/5: - Very unique CYOA/resource management game. Wonderful world-building, plenty of great ideas. Gets a bit too straightforward after you get over the early-midgame hump.
Art of Rally :2/5: - A silly little game has no business being this much of a resource hog. Otherwise nice casual rally game with a surprisingly detailed driving physics.
Franchise Hockey Manager :3/5: - Solid lightweight (compared to Football Manager at least) hockey sim. Good simulation engine, middling squad management by the AI teams as always.
Infra :4/5: - Hideous voice acting, lousy writing & way too lo-o-o-o-ng. Still, very uniquely gritty, detailed and compelling walking sim with a lot of character.
Ape Out :4/5: - This! This is what Hotline Miami 2 should have been like. Enjoyed the percussive jazz soundtrack more than HM2 synthwave. Has the best ending song in all of gayming (yes it's just licensed Pharoah Sanders I don't care I will die on this hill)
Manifold Garden :3/5: - Neat idea (3D puzzling in looping manifold structures) but felt surprisingly sterile. The puzzles and their variations felt very underwhelming as well, especially compared to Antichamber a decade ago.
Outer Wilds :5/5: - A surprising throwback to 80s/90s everything-and-the-kitchen sink game design. Lots of ideas thrown together in an unlikely sort-of-simulated solar system that has no business working this well. White holes! Newtonian flying mechanics! Quantum entanglement!
Untitled Goose Game :2/5: - I'm not going to side with a sociopathic goose against some upstanding citizens who've done me no wrong. Mechanically shallow, too.
Celeste :4/5: - As a jumping-dashing game it's as good as it gets. Exceptionally well-tuned jumping mechanics. I found the story surprisingly good even though the main devs wrote it from a very woke perspective, I assume.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Uh
giphy.gif

Beaten in 2022:
  1. The Last Remnant - :5/5::4/5:
  2. Heroes of Might & Magic V - :5/5::3/5:
  3. Heroes of Might & Magic V: Hammers of Fate - :5/5::3/5:
  4. Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East - :3/5:
  5. Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos - :5/5::4/5:
  6. Ultima Underworld - :5/5::4/5:
  7. Ultima Underworld 2 - :5/5::3/5:
  8. Iratus: Lord of the Dead - :5/5::2/5:
  9. Yakuza: Like A Dragon - :5/5::4/5:
  10. Samorost 3 - :5/5::2/5:
  11. Way of the Samurai 4 :5/5::3/5:
  12. Tales of Xillia 2 :5/5::1/5:
  13. Betrayal at Krondor - :5/5::5/5:
  14. Avernum 5 - :5/5::3/5:
  15. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd - :5/5::3/5:
  16. Avernum 6 - :5/5::3/5:
  17. Tower of Time - :5/5::2/5:
  18. Barro - :3/5::0/5:
  19. Lovers ' Smiles - :4/5::0/5:
  20. Cat Simulator - :1/5::0/5:
  21. after HOURS - :1/5::0/5:
  22. Cultist Simulator - :5/5::2/5:
  23. Absolute Drift - :5/5::1/5:
  24. Championship Manager 01/02 :5/5::5/5:
  25. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - :5/5::3/5:
  26. Unlimited SaGa - :5/5::2/5:
  27. Betrayal in Antara - :5/5::2/5:
  28. Draw Slasher - :5/5::1/5:
  29. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - :5/5::2/5:
  30. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - :5/5::2/5:
  31. Tempest - :5/5::1/5:
  32. Return to Krondor - :5/5::0/5:
  33. Bravely Default II - :5/5::3/5:
  34. Eliza - :5/5::0/5:
  35. Warhammer: Chaosbane - :5/5::1/5:
  36. Zodiac XX - :5/5::1/5:
  37. Wilmot's Warehouse - :5/5::2/5:
  38. Volantia: Kingdom in the Sky - :5/5::0/5:
  39. Scribblenauts: Showdown - :5/5::0/5:
  40. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - :5/5::3/5:
  41. Live A Live - :5/5::3/5:
  42. Bug Fables - :5/5::2/5:
  43. Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - :5/5::3/5:
  44. Syndicate - :5/5::3/5:
  45. THORN.N - :1/5::0/5:
  46. Syndicate Wars - :5/5::2/5:
  47. Beautiful Desolation - :5/5::2/5:
  48. Sands of Destruction - :5/5::0/5:
  49. Demon's Rise - Lords of Chaos - :5/5::1/5:
  50. World of Final Fantasy - :5/5::2/5:
  51. Carmageddon TDR 2000 - :5/5::3/5:
  52. Sanitarium - :5/5::3/5:
  53. Brave Battle Saga - The Legend of The Magic Warrior - :5/5::1/5:
  54. Beyond Divinity - :5/5::0/5:
  55. Jagged Alliance II - :5/5::5/5:
Some of these were started years ago, like HoMM5, that is a decade old save file that I resumed. Others are games that I didn't have time to beat in 2021. The rest are games that I started in 2022.

How many hours of sleep do you usually take every night? :)
On weekdays, I usually go to sleep at 1AM or 2AM, and I wake up at 6:20AM. On weekends, I don't really have a set time that I go to sleep. I usually wake up between 8:30AM-9:30AM.

Luckily, I also live five minutes from my workplace, which eliminates all commuting hassles.
Don't you feel tired all day? Or are you still young?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh
giphy.gif

Beaten in 2022:
  1. The Last Remnant - :5/5::4/5:
  2. Heroes of Might & Magic V - :5/5::3/5:
  3. Heroes of Might & Magic V: Hammers of Fate - :5/5::3/5:
  4. Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East - :3/5:
  5. Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos - :5/5::4/5:
  6. Ultima Underworld - :5/5::4/5:
  7. Ultima Underworld 2 - :5/5::3/5:
  8. Iratus: Lord of the Dead - :5/5::2/5:
  9. Yakuza: Like A Dragon - :5/5::4/5:
  10. Samorost 3 - :5/5::2/5:
  11. Way of the Samurai 4 :5/5::3/5:
  12. Tales of Xillia 2 :5/5::1/5:
  13. Betrayal at Krondor - :5/5::5/5:
  14. Avernum 5 - :5/5::3/5:
  15. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd - :5/5::3/5:
  16. Avernum 6 - :5/5::3/5:
  17. Tower of Time - :5/5::2/5:
  18. Barro - :3/5::0/5:
  19. Lovers ' Smiles - :4/5::0/5:
  20. Cat Simulator - :1/5::0/5:
  21. after HOURS - :1/5::0/5:
  22. Cultist Simulator - :5/5::2/5:
  23. Absolute Drift - :5/5::1/5:
  24. Championship Manager 01/02 :5/5::5/5:
  25. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - :5/5::3/5:
  26. Unlimited SaGa - :5/5::2/5:
  27. Betrayal in Antara - :5/5::2/5:
  28. Draw Slasher - :5/5::1/5:
  29. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - :5/5::2/5:
  30. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - :5/5::2/5:
  31. Tempest - :5/5::1/5:
  32. Return to Krondor - :5/5::0/5:
  33. Bravely Default II - :5/5::3/5:
  34. Eliza - :5/5::0/5:
  35. Warhammer: Chaosbane - :5/5::1/5:
  36. Zodiac XX - :5/5::1/5:
  37. Wilmot's Warehouse - :5/5::2/5:
  38. Volantia: Kingdom in the Sky - :5/5::0/5:
  39. Scribblenauts: Showdown - :5/5::0/5:
  40. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - :5/5::3/5:
  41. Live A Live - :5/5::3/5:
  42. Bug Fables - :5/5::2/5:
  43. Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - :5/5::3/5:
  44. Syndicate - :5/5::3/5:
  45. THORN.N - :1/5::0/5:
  46. Syndicate Wars - :5/5::2/5:
  47. Beautiful Desolation - :5/5::2/5:
  48. Sands of Destruction - :5/5::0/5:
  49. Demon's Rise - Lords of Chaos - :5/5::1/5:
  50. World of Final Fantasy - :5/5::2/5:
  51. Carmageddon TDR 2000 - :5/5::3/5:
  52. Sanitarium - :5/5::3/5:
  53. Brave Battle Saga - The Legend of The Magic Warrior - :5/5::1/5:
  54. Beyond Divinity - :5/5::0/5:
  55. Jagged Alliance II - :5/5::5/5:
Some of these were started years ago, like HoMM5, that is a decade old save file that I resumed. Others are games that I didn't have time to beat in 2021. The rest are games that I started in 2022.

How many hours of sleep do you usually take every night? :)
On weekdays, I usually go to sleep at 1AM or 2AM, and I wake up at 6:20AM. On weekends, I don't really have a set time that I go to sleep. I usually wake up between 8:30AM-9:30AM.

Luckily, I also live five minutes from my workplace, which eliminates all commuting hassles.
Don't you feel tired all day? Or are you still young?
I'm closing in on 40. I am not tired all day. I blame my years working 14 hour shifts in restaurants for some years. After that, my eight hour job is like a joke. Some days, I may take a 20 minute nap after work, before preparing dinner, if it's my turn. I've had no problem for the past 17 years.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah yes, I suppose your body is hardened. I suppose normally I would wish you no bad long-term consequences but some people really can get away with it, and so I hope you stay well and enjoy all that extra time!

For me, I wouldn't trade anything to stay up longer; sleeping is the greatest part of the day for me.

zapotec

Liturgist
Return at Krondor is really that bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom