Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you spent LOTS of time with, yet did not finish

Neuromancer

Augur
Doom 3 with some of the labs (forgot, if Alpha, Delta...)

Whole Doom 3 is monotonous as fuck

The only fun parts were the Hell levels
I agree, that compared to Undying, the whole Doom 3 is a definite decline and even shortened, certainly wouldn't be considered a masterpiece by anyone.

I just used it as one example, that longer playtime might sometimes decrease the value of a game.

Less is sometimes more IMHO.

It's sad that you weren't able to finish Undying after playing through almost the whole game.
:cry:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Doom 3 with some of the labs (forgot, if Alpha, Delta...)

Whole Doom 3 is monotonous as fuck

The only fun parts were the Hell levels
I agree, that compared to Undying, the whole Doom 3 is a definite decline and even shortened, certainly wouldn't be considered a masterpiece by anyone.

I just used it as one example, that longer playtime might sometimes decrease the value of a game.

Less is sometimes more IMHO.

It's sad that you weren't able to finish Undying after playing through almost the whole game.
:cry:

I did it couple of years later

I think I shoved dynamite in its ass to make it vulnerable, then used phoenix eggs to damage it

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have been regularly playing Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader for over two decades but never actually finished their Campaigns.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ultima Underworld
Not my fault though, one of the puzzles broke for me, so I couldn't get one of the key items needed to win the game.
Sleeping Gods Lie
Also another glitch, some event that was supposed to happen just never did.
Exile III + Mordor II
Played the absolute heck out of the shareware version, but just never got around to playing the commercial one.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
AC Valhalla, Neverwinter Nights, Ultima 6&7, a lot of JRPGs.

Also Baldur's Gate 1&2. I started BG 1&2 several times with the intention to complete them (for historical reasons) but always abandoned them halfway.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've never finished any of the Bethesda games. I always just end up in modding wonderland, pottering about in the open world for ages doing side-quests with different characters and then eventually getting bored with the sameyness of the clutter :)

tritosine2k

Erudite
Metro2033 still catching up with tech and why they didn't make outdoor. Forgotten trailer bordering on false promise.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In recent years I've rarely had the incentive to finish games, especially the ones that I lose interest in.

Mind you, if I do have the incentive the race is on, to the finish line. That was pretty much the case back in the day, games that I spent a lot of hours on but never finished are the exception, not the norm. I've beaten games very few others have prevailed at. I've also bided my time with some of the tougher nuts. One notable example took me 17 years, but that was on an 8-bit computer.

With that in mind, I checked the OP's list of games, of which I played almost every title, but it wasn't until his second post in the thread that I spotted titles that I hadn't finished myself: The two Warhammer Fantasy-games from the 90s. Those were brutally hard, and even though me and some mates did our best to finish them (SotHR in particular) we never did. But that's to expect from a game that purposefully puts in battles you're not meant to win as a red herring...

Another game I've never 'finished' is HoMM3... but while I've played the first three games extensively in the past, I've decided to save them and their campaigns for the future.

Probably the biggest titles I've spent many hours on but never beaten are Legend of Faerghail and Spellcasting 201. The former is a German RPG in the vein of Bard's Tale and such, but due to my young age and playing a poorly localized/bugged version of the game I could never beat it, though I got quite far. The latter is a text adventure where a teenage sorcerer enrolled at a magic university (Hogwarts what?) must survive hazing week... and I could never solve the first hazing task. Looking back now I can understand why - the game is overreliant upon its prequel. If you come into the series fresh with 201 and haven't touched Spellcasting 101 (like I did) then you're gonna run into problems. The game tries to bring the player up to speed with events from the prequel, but it's the strict timetable that'll do most players in. You have to plan every day almost down to the last 5-minute interval... and that involves a LOT of Trial and Error. (I might actually return and finish the trilogy once and for all, because the writing/humor is above average.)

mastroego

Arcane
Most notably Skyrim (Requiem) because of restartitis
I know the game inside out for the most part, but never did finish the main quest
The last savegame is still there, I hope I can finish the current run someday

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Baldurs Gate 2 (HDD crash somewhere in chapter 6, still haven't brought myself to try again 20 years later), Jagged Alliance 2 (left the game literally in the last level and just never went back to it) and Final Fantasy VIII (realised that FF7 was a once-off, I really couldn't be arsed with another JRPG).

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
i legit got too angry at pathfinder in the mirror house right there in the finale to finish it despite putting 70h into it

__scribbles__

Educated
Jagged Alliance 2 :negative:

I fucking love the game but every time I play it I just go "Oh, let's try taking this town before this one" or "Let's try this squad composition" or something similar. I've never taken a run to Deidranna because of it, it's just too much fun experimenting with shit like that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Septerra Core
Stuck in middle/late section of the game for some reason despite game being quite linear. Dropped and never came back. Would be a shame to lost save files from that moment since there's so much combat that even with Cheat Engine (boosting game speed + characters' level) it's a massive time wasting chore, but not as painful as for example vanilla Neverwinter Night 1&2 or Dragon Age Inquisition.
Finished it few months later during various maintenances in my house. Whole rooms blocked, no more familiy visits and other circumstances let me finish some leftovers.
It was ratcher smooth sail from there, last 10% of game on literal bulldozer mode. Still a lot (and I mean A LOT) of combat happened (who played that game might understandy my words) but besider 1-2 encounters there was nothing serious.
No outro played because my XP machine didn't support some old Win98 codecs or something. Game didn't work on my Win7 machine. Tried later on Win10 and worked fine.
It was another weird example of games (not necessary old) that refused to work properly/at all on Win7, but played fine on Win10.

Iucounu

Educated
The Stalker games: countless hours. SoC (vanilla) does have a decent corridor ending (unlike CS and CoP), but these games are still best played by dragging out on them as much as possible, and/or starting a new playthrough instead of entering the final levels.

ARK Survival Evolved: 500+ hours in a single game. The ending boss fights don't seem worth the trouble, and with my playing style (no tamed dinos) they seem impossible anyway.

The Long Dark: Survival/ironman mode of course has no ending, except losing.

Sibelius

Novice
I have over 500 hours in Skyrim VR and have never started the main quest. I have completed several main quest size content mods and most of the city quests and dungeons. A heavily modded Skyrim VR is probably the most immersive gaming experience I have ever had. It's still shit in terms of story, dialogue and even melee combat, but the world is just amazing when properly modded and the mage and archer gameplay is pretty decent in VR.

Zlaja

Arcane
I've made two attempted playthroughs of Kingdoms Of Amalur and both times I ended up abandoning the game at around the halfway mark. In fact, I think I quit at pretty much the exact same spot both times. Since I play pretty slowly and try to do almost everything in each area, I must have spent around 70-80 hours on these two abandoned playthroughs combined.

Fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom