Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you've changed your mind about

Fink

Novice
Disliked dark souls and dragons dogma on release, ten years later they became some of my favourites.

Constantly flip flopping about whether dragon age origins is great or shit.

Didn't vibe with age of decadence first few times I tried it, played it this year and loved it.

Hated outward first time I played it but have since come to appreciate it.

DemonKing

Arcane
Gave up on Cyberpunk shortly after release as a buggy, poorly optimised mess.

Gave it a go again recently - after 4 years of patching and a GPU upgrade on my side it's actually fairly enjoyable now.

mondblut

Arcane
As a kid, I used to think World of Xeen is the best shit ever. Over the years, I learned to know better.

Also, Ishar. Incredibly pretty to this day, but as it turns out, very shallow and vapid.

Also, Ravenloft. The music is still the best ever, but running around clicking ghouls to death is no longer as impressive and immersive as it used to be in 1995.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So I got Helldivers 2 because it is le popular game and shooting bugs looks really cool.

-starts playing- [Lobby is full] simulator, get caught on the terrain constantly, teammates are idiots, people teamkill you at the extraction, easy and boring, just general unfun times.

Finally unlock Extreme difficulty (only 6 out of 9). Constantly chased by massive bug swarm or robot tank army. Legit 40k imperial guard dying simulator. Shoot giant starship troopers bug with rocket. Teammates know what they're doing, plan stratagems, got loyal flying laser drone. Every extraction is getting out by the skin of your teeth. Good fun.

On a serious note, it has some of the best sound design and death animations/physics I've seen in a game of this type, by basically what was an AA studio.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Soul Reaver - I played it on the Dreamcast back in the day and loved it! Any time I've tried to go back and play it, I can't get into it. It could be that I just don't like that style of game anymore. I dunno.

Fallout: New Vegas - I played it back at release and thought it was cool. It certainly has a lot more going for it than FO3, but I played through it a year or two ago and holy crap, it is a mess.

Morrowind - I first played it on the Xbox, and it was kind of cool. I had to play it on Xbox because it ran like dogshit on PC. Once you accept the dogshit framerate and the distance fog 5 feet from your character to compensate, you get treated to an ugly, desolate, half-baked world. You can mod it up to a worthwhile level, but you are likely to spend more time sifting through mods trying to make it enjoyable than you will actually playing it. And half the mods you try will be break something in-game, and you are unlikely to even realize it right away.

Diablo II - I really liked the game at launch. The shine started to wear off after the first completion, and I disliked it more with each update. I still think the first Diablo holds up though.

Any of the Witcher games - one and done.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I can't really think of any...I dont get too much time to replay things so I guess it doesnt come up much.

I guess Warhammer: Total War started off great and by third installment was a steaming pile of turds but thats over 3 games. Actually as Im a GW grognard theres probably a few I liked just because they 40k and when that wears off they a bit shit, but vice versa as well - Space Marine was average at the time but looking back it was about as good as it got for 40k action games like that. The multiplayer was great.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I used to play online games quite a lot as a teenager, Age of Empires 2 then Warcraft 3, now I get angry at the idea that online gaming even exists, kind of.

As a kid I thought the difficulty of traditional adventure games was insane to the point they were not fun, playing the average ones of the time so some hard but also some actually reasonable. Now I get bored by the ones which are not at least close to as hard as the average Lucas Arts one.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't think I had any spectacular 180s, but:

HoMMV - russian game from the aughts plus IV's sequel, oh god... Then I tried it and saw that it's a game where bad ideas and good ideas sort of balance each other out for a mostly meh experience, but certainly not on the lol nope level. Then TotE solidified it as an actually decent game with some serious flaws.

FNV - still think it's incredibly overrated, but I've grown to like playing the vanilla campaign with different builds and faction allegiances. Just maintain the opinion regarding dlc being both bad on their own and a detriment to the original content.

Panzer Corps - initially thought it's a cheap PG knock off with questionable design. Ended playing it for a couple hundred hours and in hindsight it's the best PG-clone yet, by quite some distance.

Endless Legend - used to be pretty big on it and it objectively has some really great ideas/design and is easily more noteworthy than most other modern "big" 4X attempts, but I just can't play it now with the weird clunky movement/simultaneous turns and horrid "combat" mechanics. Also, pretty much all the dlc are offensively horrible and basically need to be switched off

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
This is pobably going to be a common answer: Dark Souls 2. I was absolutely mesmerised by the first game, and getting over the whiplash from the changes in tone and mechanics took a while. I never loved it during my first playthrough, but subsequent ones have steadily raised my opinion of it and now I think it's great. The DLCs helped a lot, mind.
Welcome to the Kingdom.

As for OP's question, original RE4. Back in the day I thought it was the greatest thing ever made. Now it's probably not even in my top 5 Resi Evur games. It's still pretty good, just didn't age nearly as well as some other games around it's time.

Certainly didn't age as well as REmake.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Sonic games. Loved a bunch of them, now just think some of them are pretty good. So easy.

Used to think Tomb Raider reboot was alright, now can't play any of the trilogy for more than two minutes before uninstalling in despair. It's not even the old games that turned me around. Only played through Tomb Raider 2 (and liked it). You can see the wasted potential thanks to automation, heavy storytelling that takes itself way too seriously, weak protagonist, perks, upgrades, realism (that makes the unrealistic stand out way more), cinematic scripting and experience points gained by collecting a ton of SHIT by looking at it in a bubble.

Found Arkham Asylum rather ugly and too automated and context-sensitive in 2011. Got into the series, convinced myself for a number of years that it was alright, then started to think more about what Batman games could be, now think that although they're not bad being insipid and designed for such wide accessibility is in a way even worse.

All games with character creation. Can't believe I ever thought it was a nice idea. I won't dislike a game just because of character creation, but it makes every one of them a little worse.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Bram Stoker's Dracula, the DOS one. First time around, I found it fairly boring and didn't get very far, but the second suddenly everything about the level design clicked for me. It doesn't help that the opening section of the first level is very confusing and the game's controls are awkward to use.

TES Arena and Daggerfall. I didn't hate these or anything, but I did find them worse thanks to the early game having a high difficulty if you aren't familiar with the era. In particular my first playthrough with Arena was just an absolute nightmare, desperately trying to survive against rats, managing to escape only to get cut down by thieves in the dead of night. Later attempts went far more smoothly.

Might and Magic VI. I didn't hate this the first time around, I just thought of it as the weakest of it's trilogy. The goofy real life portraits along with how it has a much higher difficulty curve than the other two. Last time I played it, I started taking things more cautiously and learned to appreciate the system where any class that can use a skill can become a master in said skill.

Losus4

Literate
To change my mind about a game would require that I play more than 1 game. Pretty much been a Morrowind exclusive player since 2009 with very rare instances of playing something else, which seldom last more than a few days before I return to WIND.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen. I used to think that it was just a poor man's Zelda with even easier combat; meanwhile, Soul Reaver was an absolute darling.

These days, I tend to consider Soul Reaver a poor, boring slog that perfectly showcases the pains of early 3D gaming and have really come around on Blood Omen, to the point that I absolutely love it. Sure, it is still incredibly easy, but it has top-notch atmosphere, tons of charm and is generally an incredibly comfy and enjoyable experience. That alone makes it better than 90% of the games out there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Now I think its straight up a bad game, and produced many tropes that reduced the quality of other games after it.

First opinion is retarded and second statement is an outright lie.

Dark Souls introduced exactly ZERO tropes in the westoid gaming industry and barely even had an effect on Japanese games. Even literal Dark Souls clones are a tiny niche and among those clones only an handful are any good.

Hagashager

Educated
I loved Psychonauts as a teenager but afterwards I found it nails-on-a-chalkboard cringe.

Everytime I go back to it since High School I just can't get past the Bobby Zilch character doing that ridiculous dance.

I tried one last time when the sequel came out in 2022 and shut it off after Basic Braining.

Freedos

Novice
I hated Silent Hill 4 with a burning passion in 2004. "It's awful, not a Silent Hill game", "I only liked the song 'Cradel of the Forest'".Nowadays? A flawed but not less interesting survival horror game to me.

When I was a kid, I was mixed with Flash-back. Too hard, 'ugly' and even 'scary' to my taste. It's one of my favourite plataformer games of all time.

Same with Quake. Yes, really, the 1996 game. I love this game SO MUCH, it's one of the best FPS games ever made...and I was disappointed in the 90s. Why? Because I played Duke Nukem 3D before, with its crazy weapons, comedy, badass main character and more 'realistic' and wide environments among other things, where did they go? I wanted another funny, whacky and over-the-top FPS! Of course, opinions change, and I ended thinking "both are masterpieces of the genre in different ways".

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Now I think its straight up a bad game, and produced many tropes that reduced the quality of other games after it.
Dark Souls introduced exactly ZERO tropes in the westoid gaming industry and barely even had an effect on Japanese games. Even literal Dark Souls clones are a tiny niche and among those clones only an handful are any good.
I disagree. I think Dark Souls introduced and/or popularized the following:
  • Difficulty as a selling point and marketing gimmick in mass games
  • Very slow attacks that lock you in place and you can't cancel
  • The dodge-dodge-dodge-hit cycle of boss combat
  • The dance-around-and-backstab cycle of mook combat
  • Diegetic/in-world explanations for death/save/reload mechanics
  • Honestly, the entire idea of boss battles was brought back to PC gaming by Dark Souls, it was nearly extinct before
  • Focus on environmental storytelling over narrative storytelling
  • Focus on only telling half the story, and letting YouTubers make up the rest
  • A community of people who think its okay for a game to require you read the wiki while playing
And you can go and say "ooooh Zelda did this, ooooooh ICO did that", but the mass adoption or revival of many of these came because of Dark Soul's commercial success. And I'd say about half of them are bad, and I wish they hadn't happened.
I can write a similar list for the Batman Arkham games (the cinematic combat, the "detective vision", etc), or Assassin's Creed, or Far Cry games, but for those games I played them once, and I immediately saw it. For Dark Souls, I thought it won't inspire much change in the overall game design space. Disappointingly, it did. My favorite roguelike genre got hit hard, too, though honestly some roguelikes do Dark Souls better than Dark Souls does itself.

Cologno

Educated

Yeah, "git gud" got popularized on its own volition. Sure, cholo. Sit down, you don't know what you're talking about.

Ash

Arcane
Will post in this thread as it's a good one. Fuck off I do what I want, the rest of the gaming internet is just not exactly an improvement over you miscreants. I will be gone again you can count on it.

None. I know exactly what I like, and that is good, engaging gameplay before anything, simple or complex (but not too simple e.g Tic Tac Toe as an extreme, and preferably complex for what should be obvious reasons). Anything else that is low effort dumb gameplay, but still offers hours of it, can eat shit and is for retards. What are you doing playing what is essentially animated Simon Says and Eye Spy with set dressing? Are you mentally twelve?

But there is a rare exception or two, some games I distinctly remember having idiotic knee-jerk reactions to as a dumb teenager, a long time ago based on pre-conceived biases or jumping to conclusions in five minutes, and since then tried to learn to give games more of a chance before I judged them. To judge properly you need adequate data set to work with in the first place.

Deus Ex - heavily judged it based on the first mission based on standards of FPS games. Janky, buggy, clunky, weird. Got bored in the coming days, gave it another try. An absolute GOAT as is commonly known. Should have been judging it based on standards of RPGs. Doesn't help the first mission while open and allowing a lot of freedom is clearly a bit underdeveloped, just tons of dead space when it didn't STRICTLY have to be, even with engine & a degree of realism restrictions in mind.

Resident Evil 4 - My first encounter with this infuriated young me, why the fuck is it a fantasy game with a dude mole-popping a giant troll? Resident Evil is supposed to be slow-paced, strategic, with a degree of nuance and realism, classic survival horror. Turns out yeah, it wasn't that, but that doesn't mean it wasn't some solid as fuck action gaming and should be judged based on that merit, as an action game, not a survival horror. Try to not tie expectations to title/series cotinuation so much - if a game is good, it's good. All that matters.

That's it of note. Otherwise my judgement (with adequate time played of course) has always been consistent, authoritative and absolute - if intelligent gameplay good. If filled with low effort gameplay, bad game, as that shit is an insult to your intelligence (if you have any), undermines even non-gameplay aspects from story to atmosphere, and is a waste of time. End of story...unless I haven't had hands-on time with the game, then my perspective means very little.
How to determine good and bad, isn't that subjective? Actually, it is a degree of both, more objective than subjective if you are able to think logically, just depends if you have the capacity to perceive it or not. There are many ways to quantify and measure. Is it super buggy? You can't tell me tons of bugs to the point the game barely runs is a subjective matter of quality. Does x mechanic have adequate application in the combat or level design to even justify its existence? Are the amount of resources lent to the player sensible and synergistic with the overarching game design...one thousand medkits in a level but it only has ten weak-hitting piss easy enemies that die if you simply rub shoulders with them? Objective bad game design unless you're literally handicapped both physically and mentally for good measure. And if the intent is to be easy as hell in the first place, well you should be insulted. Gameplay is about fun, challenge, engagement, strategy, THINKING. Without design cohesion, it is none of this, just illusion that so many mediocre as all hell gamers fall for.
At their very core, games are math and logic, which can even be weighed sometimes. Damage potentially recieved vs damage potentially healed. There is a way to measure many aspects objectively with at least a reasonable degree of accuracy. Some people will prefer it a little easier, some a little harder, but nobody will enjoy literally impossible in the first minute of the game, and nobody will enjoy a straight line with no obstacle or events of any kind that calls itself a game. Literally just a straight corridoor and that is the end of the "game". Two seconds. I am arguing in extremes, but for good reason here. This shows that it is most definitely not all subjective. If that shit dumb soulless empty game that plays itself you like and find "fun" is what you are willing to defend, that just means your standards and mental capacity are abysmally low.

Nothing has really changed, the games I loved back then, I love just as much now. The games I hated then, still suck. And for plenty good, measurable reasons that can be explained with cold hard logic. Don't try me because you are pathetic and can't handle the truth. I rarely miss.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yeah, "git gud" got popularized on its own volition. Sure, cholo. Sit down, you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry, git gud? In westoid AAA games? Where? As far as i can see they are still the same dumped down popamole trash they have always been.

You people are delusional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom