Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Gears Tactics - turn-based tactics prequel to Gears of War

LizardWizard

Cipher
Xcom 2....

I stand by that the combat feels good though, just a shame that its all there is.

NuCom has something else aside from combats?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Pretty good so far. It seems to be a mix of simulated projectiles and nuXcom style of shooting. Like if someone stands close, or behind an enemy bullets can hit them too, and that also goes for friendlies. Took a while for the brain to register that. Like an overwatch can hit your own men so you have to spread out and make sure you don't trap any of your own men in the cone. I'm playing on hard and the game feels hard. On mission 3 or 4 I got overwhelmed by the mutants and had to fall back. I had to use actual retreat-tactics with one guy constantly covering the retreat. It felt thrilling!

Interesting, that's another thing that bothered me about Chimera, when you shoot an alien in close combat with one of your own (or aliens shoot at yours), it's no trouble, really, even if they have 50% chances of hitting they're not going to hit their own ...

Worse, with the snake ability which has in its description you don't know what's what, alien will shoot him and never hit their own...

That's promising.

Any retarded feature we should know about ?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I went for xbox game pass to try this out. So far my impression is that Microsoft CDN sucks rancid donkey balls. I download stuff from steam at 30-40 MB/s while effin MS gets me at most 10. At that speed I won't be able to play this today!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any retarded feature we should know about ?

The game doesn't refresh anything going from encounter to encounter on the map. I mean you can trigger scripted sections in weird ways, like having no action points having to make a big escape etc. You have to do all that manually before activating a new sequence of events. Feels a bit weird to me, because it never changes into real-time or anything like that when there is no more enemies on the map.

DemonKing

Arcane
Tried a bit yesterday with my $1 Gamepass. Surprisingly decent although the execution animations are getting tired already after only a couple of missions. Will play some more before I pass final judgement.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I quite like the emphasis on sequencing as it greatly incentivizes aggression and risk taking. For example, I had a mission to be done in 16 turns but finished it in 10 cause I had guys setting up executions and daisy chaining multiple actions to close distance and wipe out an enemy squad that was otherwise entrenched.

The strat side of the game makes no sense. I have hired a sniper I really like, but what's the point when the game keeps forcing me to take token aggressive black woman every mission?* What's the point in going on rescue missions? What's the point on even leveling up characters when future rescue missions get you guys who already higher level than the ones you had previously? THERE'S NO INCENTIVE. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THESE CHARACTERS?

*Seriously, what is it with devs and this archetype? This shit is insulting at this point and I'm surprised the tumblr crowd hasn't gotten a whiff. Just off the top of my head: this game, BioShock Infinite, Wolfenstein II, Uncharted.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The strat side of the game makes no sense. I have hired a sniper I really like, but what's the point when the game keeps forcing me to take token aggressive black woman every mission?* What's the point in going on rescue missions? What's the point on even leveling up characters when future rescue missions get you guys who already higher level than the ones you had previously? THERE'S NO INCENTIVE. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THESE CHARACTERS?

Reacted to the same thing, there seems to be a disconnect from the narrative and gameplay-mechanics. I made a point of just using expendables when I can though. Find it more fun using those dudes than the heroes.

LizardWizard

Cipher
But the enemy spamming overwatch every turn and the only way to interrupt their overwatch is your special pistol shot which might miss and has an extremely long cool down is pretty retarded.

There are numerous ways to deal with overwatch. AOE intimidate, cloak, dmg reduction items/skills which allow you to eat the shot. Chainsaw/Bayonet suffer no attack of opportunity vs overwatched enemies which makes it a great move against tanky Grenadiers. Also good ole fashioned flanking does wonders.

I find it highly amusing that a human would be complaining about an AI abusing overwatch though

9fa.jpg

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
I'm enjoying it so far. I love tactical combat, and it's nice to have something that just focuses on that. The game excels when it uses mechanics that are its attempts to mimic the shooter. Killing a grenade launcher enemy and then using his grenade launcher to blow away a horde feels great. Executing a guy and then having a domino effect where your team keeps getting free turns builds a nice aggressive pace not seen in many games like this. Having the ability. for a few classes. to instantly take out most enemy types also helps mimic the powerful feeling found in action games. I feel the game would be better served focusing on using more of these mechanics instead of the typical x-com like mechanics.

jf8350143

Liturgist
But the enemy spamming overwatch every turn and the only way to interrupt their overwatch is your special pistol shot which might miss and has an extremely long cool down is pretty retarded.

There are numerous ways to deal with overwatch. AOE intimidate, cloak, dmg reduction items/skills which allow you to eat the shot. Chainsaw/Bayonet suffer no attack of opportunity vs overwatched enemies which makes it a great move against tanky Grenadiers. Also good ole fashioned flanking does wonders.

I find it highly amusing that a human would be complaining about an AI abusing overwatch though

9fa.jpg

Yes there are more way to deal with them later, my scout can throw a grenade very turn and kills everything that moves, but I'm at the end of chapter 2.

In the first chapter you pretty much only has the pistol. And taking the shot means you are pretty much dead unless you play a low difficulty.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty insane how underdeveloped the macro management and metagame are compared to the moment to moment gameplay. There's no economy, you don't sell/buy/craft/upgrade gears, just find crap from lootboxes on the maps and from mission reward. Progression is way too slow, by the time I leveled up Cole, a scout and a heavy to level 4 at the beginning of chapter 2, the game already offered me level 5 counterparts which doesn't take money or any kind of currency to get. There's no dynamic events, no constant threat to push you forward aside from story missions, no real sense of leading a pack of stranded to fight against the odd, it's like the game tried very hard to make you invest nothing into your whole squad and just roll along the story like a mundane linear third person shooter. It's just, spectacle after spectacle, I like it in small doses but I can't see it leaving a lasting impression on me like Xenonauts or nuXCOM.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's pretty insane how underdeveloped the macro management and metagame are compared to the moment to moment gameplay. There's no economy, you don't sell/buy/craft/upgrade gears, just find crap from lootboxes on the maps and from mission reward. Progression is way too slow, by the time I leveled up Cole, a scout and a heavy to level 4 at the beginning of chapter 2, the game already offered me level 5 counterparts which doesn't take money or any kind of currency to get. There's no dynamic events, no constant threat to push you forward aside from story missions, no real sense of leading a pack of stranded to fight against the odd, it's like the game tried very hard to make you invest nothing into your whole squad and just roll along the story like a mundane linear third person shooter. It's just, spectacle after spectacle, I like it in small doses but I can't see it leaving a lasting impression on me like Xenonauts or nuXCOM.
The game would be much better if they just give you 5 pre-defined character, each with a different class and let them have more personality, just ditch the whole recruit random solider thing.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game would be much better if they just give you 5 pre-defined character, each with a different class and let them have more personality, just ditch the whole recruit random solider thing.

Yeah and most of them story missions we stuck with at least 2 of our main guys so there isn't much point in using mundane soldiers. And yeah no economy/research/world map kind of thing hurts the game a lot. 4 member squad thing is shit too.
But game suprised me TBH, I'm having fun most of the time. My expectations were pretty low. Classes and their talent trees are really good imho, each branch seems unique and useful.

LizardWizard

Cipher
In the first chapter you pretty much only has the pistol. And taking the shot means you are pretty much dead unless you play a low difficulty.

The first few missions are basically a tutorial, I had no problem circumventing overwatch on Insane/Ironman, maybe you just made bad choices. You can make Sid practically invulnerable to overwatch by lvl 4 though

But Scouts are probably the best 'get shit done' class. Proximity nade path completely counters E-holes.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Finished last night, boss battles are kinda fun but they drag our a bit. I liked the game but has serious flaws. Game showers you with high level recuits all the time, healing is plentiful, some combos are hilariously overpowered and trivalize the game. Map variarty is shit but at least there are enough different mission types,secondary objectives and map modifiers to cover that.
Veteran missions after completing the game are a nice touch.

RuySan

Augur
Which one is better, this or Phoenix point? Both are on gamepass (but gears tactics will probably stay there forever and Phoenix point not) and I'm having a tactics hitch.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Which one is better, this or Phoenix point? Both are on gamepass (but gears tactics will probably stay there forever and Phoenix point not) and I'm having a tactics hitch.

This is better for short dosages. Maps are small and fast, no base building, research or similiar strategic layers. You just go from mission to mission.
PP had some serious bugs when I last played it (in December I think) Still and proper "X-Com" game but with many flaws. Better if you itch for longer campaign gameplay.
Stay away from Chimera Squad.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
How does the action system feel compared to the more common 2 actions and stop or attack and stop system?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

Phoenix Point. Okay gameplay, but cool narrative and game has actual base management.

Otherwise Gears wins out in tactic gameplay I think.

How does the action system feel compared to the more common 2 actions and stop or attack and stop system?

Miles better, 3 actions and you can spend them on anything. Hit&run tactics are viable. overwatcing with 3-4 AP means you can attack that much in enemy turn.
That's been my favorite thing in it thus far. I like the concrete number of actions as opposed to a more mushy AP system with a lot of points to throw around, but Gears opens it up just a little bit from modern Xcom and I'm digging it while not running into the AP issue of either constantly running out of points or every action taking longer since I'm eyeballing AP.

Also had some fun with a "Free the dorks" mission limited to a starting squad size of 1, and a ticking timer for an extra reward. Missed it by a single turn but running balls to the wall so undermanned was fun and is part of what I like in Xcom 2. I'd probably be disappointed at a $60 price tag because even though the game's fine to good, there isn't much standout about it. But for a game pass rental it's solid. And on the bright side, if it does well enough maybe we'll get a sequel and they'll spruce it up more. Seems like they've got their heads on straight so if they take another crack at it maybe they'll add a little more between missions, tighten up progression, etc. The tactics and combat seems fine, just chuck a couple more toys and enemies in there and focus mainly on the secondary shit.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
this game is much better than chimera squad, I can tell you that.

the game nails feeling way overpowered while still being quite challenging at times (on difficulty 3/4). being able to move a little further to slam into cover or charging around finishing bad guys to give all your dudes extra actions is fun.

has its weaknesses of course - digging through the menus to equip your new shit is a real pain and the gear seems a bit underwhelming anyway (+5% accuracy for a common vs +7% accuracy for a rare etc). the weird heroes and disposable troops demarcation sucks, should be one or the other - but I'm still enjoying myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom