Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Another free idea: survival city-builder/Guild-like where you are governor of border town during Fall of Western Roman Empire. Your avatar dies because Ostrogoths rape him to death and you had no heir? GAME OVER. You can assume direct control over your avatar at any time

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Last free idea: be born as bastard child of Zeus. Involve yourself in reality show Olympus, forge friendships and enemies, take epic quests from greek mythology to prove yourself to Daddy Zeus, destroy Titans or have Daddy Issues and help them destroy Olympus. Race across skies in chariots with Apolon, hunt Hydra, have orgy with Amazonians, pet Cerberus. Earn your birthright and become GOD

Graphics: stylized af 2D/3D Perspective: isometric

gaussgunner

Arcane
Last free idea: be born as bastard child of Zeus. Involve yourself in reality show Olympus, forge friendships and enemies, take epic quests from greek mythology to prove yourself to Daddy Zeus, destroy Titans or have Daddy Issues and help them destroy Olympus. Race across skies in chariots with Apolon, hunt Hydra, have orgy with Amazonians, pet Cerberus. Earn your birthright and become GOD

Graphics: stylized af 2D/3D Perspective: isometric
Isometric Dragon's Dogma.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
100% of time it turns out that without good gameplay loop even the best writing falls flat.
And then there's The Outer Worlds where a good gameplay loop combined with tepid writing lead to a game people aggressively didn't care about. Ziets's own Dungeon Siege III also fell victim to this. :balance: in all things (that is you can be decent in both things or great in one thing and lacking in the other, but if one thing is merely good and the other not, blandness ensues)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
100% of time it turns out that without good gameplay loop even the best writing falls flat.
And then there's The Outer Worlds where a good gameplay loop combined with tepid writing lead to a game people aggressively didn't care about.

Are you serious? Outer Worlds gameplay was shit and it was ridiculously easy to the point of being a sleep aid.

Quillon

Arcane
better gunplay sure, bar was too low anyway but no way it has better "gameplay loop" than NV, Tim Cain failed hard in this regard

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Ghoulishness about a dev studio run by a guy who's a good person and has made at least one truly great game (MOTB) strikes me as bad form. Hard to make games, especially if you're not trying to follow a cookie-cutter mold, which I don't think George is.

It's not a game, it's a MOD!
So, it makes Georgie better than beamdog but way below anyone who released a decent game.

And I'd add way way below because of the choice of the engine to release his mod, poor judgment to begin with.
It makes me wary of anything he might release in the future.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Ghoulishness about a dev studio run by a guy who's a good person and has made at least one truly great game (MOTB) strikes me as bad form. Hard to make games, especially if you're not trying to follow a cookie-cutter mold, which I don't think George is.

So, it makes Georgie better than beamdog but way below anyone who released a decent game.

And I'd add way way below because of the choice of the engine to release his mod, poor judgment to begin with.
Do you understand how being an employee works, or is your understanding of capitalism primarily from watching badly translated reruns of Friends?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
m under the impression that it was considered an improvement over New Vegas's. You can always try supernova. :M
better gunplay sure, bar was too low anyway but no way it has better "gameplay loop" than NV, Tim Cain failed hard in this regard

The fundamentals are good and on launch I think most people's expectation was for Pillars-style improvement once patches start rolling, but they didn't bother doing anything beyond bug fixing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fundamentals are good and on launch I think most people's expectation was for Pillars-style improvement once patches start rolling, but they didn't bother doing anything beyond bug fixing.
Yeah I wouldn't expect Josh Sawyer-style balance obsession from Tim and Leonard, Troika wasn't like that. :M

Camel

Scholar

Do you mean MOTB is a mod? Beamdog actually vandalized a classic game and I’m not sure you compare them with Ziets.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Fair enough; it’s a mod like FO2, FO:NV or even, to some extent, PS:T. Since I found NWN2 terrible, and terrible in ways that MOTB had to inherit (camera, combat, even, honestly, ruleset), I don’t think it’s a slight on George to say MOTB is a mod. It’s true, though, that from a development standpoint it’s way easier to make a mod or work off an existing engine.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
A mediocre mod to a bad game is worse than mediocre. My point was that discounting MOTB's greatness on the theory "it's a mod" fails to account for the base it was working from. Fallout 2 worked from an amazing base, and in bungled the tone in all sorts of ways (but improved the gameplay in other ways). The Gold Box games worked from an amazing base, and some added in cool ways, some missed the mark. FO:NV started from a lousy base and made it great. FO4's mods add-ons. That's just how it is.

What a dev releasing a great expansion doesn't tell you is whether they can build a great game from scratch. But my point with George wasn't that MOTB guaranteed his future standalone games would be great. It's that he made a game that added a lot of pleasure and even some richness to players' lives, and for that reason people should tone down the jerkiness.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So that's the secret, make mods to games that were a complete disaster, and you can only go upwards.

:philosoraptor:

The primary incentives to mod a game is either you adore the game intimately, or there's a large audience that will drench you in accolades and praise filling your hollow existence (and patreon).
Neither are likely true for shitty dead games that nobody could love. :salute:

Harthwain

Magister
Fair enough; it’s a mod like FO2, FO:NV or even, to some extent, PS:T.
:what:

Lumping everything into a "mod" category fails to emphasize the differences between standalone games, expansions and the actual mods. Distinctions exist for a reason.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Fair enough; it’s a mod like FO2, FO:NV or even, to some extent, PS:T.
:what:

Lumping everything into a "mod" category fails to emphasize the differences between standalone games, expansions and the actual mods. Distinctions exist for a reason.
You should probably address that to Darth Canoli since MRY was just taking the piss out of his retarded comment.

I mean, even if someone agreed with Canoli about MOTB, it's not like Ziets only worked on that and otherwise was a non-entity.

Re: some of the other commentary: The entire point of waiting to see what Digimancy does is to see what Ziets will deliver when not working as an employee or contractor. It seems like there's at least the potential for greatness.

Harthwain

Magister
You should probably address that to @Darth Canoli since MRY was just taking the piss out of his retarded comment.
Indeed. Perhaps I was trying to avoid the quote pyramid a bit too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom