Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Get your Dungeon Siege III Demo

BlaineMono

Liturgist
A question for the old farts

Did you actually get to siege a dungeon in the original ds/ds2?

I mean, properly - with ballistae, long ass ladders and whatnot?

I mean, say what you will about Diablo, but at least you fought a Diablo there, fair and square.

circ

Arcane
Well yes. You got to fuck shit up with an 8 character party. That's a siege no?

DS1 was fun because it ran great, looked great, had great detail and you could just kill shit and ignore the story which was perfectly passable.

DS2 had to fuck that all up with trying to improve the story and add really shitty VO everywhere. Still, cool EQ all the way to level 100, and a better game than anything BioWare ever put out, or Obsidian for that matter. But hey, if you enjoy buggy as fuck shit by a pair of companies that can't even fucking code a workable camera or anything else, knock your dick out.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I played the demo and came away very underwhelmed.

The interface is really unintuitive. The camera controls are wonky and it has that annoying downwards-angle TPS, which means zooming in is pointless (you still can't see far ahead). You have to be right over objects to pick them up. The character equip screen is a mess. Using abilities and switching between stances is easy enough but takes a bit of getting used to.

And combat? Only focusing on one enemy and the game seems to determine who it is. Maybe I missed something but I didn't see any instruction on switching enemies. It's kind of a mess, with HP going down too fast and MP regenerating too fast. I think that'll probably change in later levels though.

The engine is great and the game looks neat but bland, right up to a huge-cleavage'd bimbo with freckles and a foreign accent. Armor comes with nipples too, for Anjali. Groan-inducing stuff.

I've always hated the Dungeon Siege franchise. Doesn't look like Obsidian is rising above

circ

Arcane
Brother None said:
The engine is great and the game looks neat but bland, right up to a huge-cleavage'd bimbo with freckles and a foreign accent. Armor comes with nipples too, for Anjali. Groan-inducing stuff.
Not sure if serious. That's pure :incline:

Twinkle

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
Dungeon Siege 3 demo is better than 2witcher.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Watch Skyrim footage 7 times. Think about your motherland. Imagine killing a dragon with a club. Imagine touching Triss's boobs. Fap 7 times to completion repeating "I want to be a witcher". Drink some vodka. Stop the lies. Start the truths.

YourDaddy

Educated
Brother None said:
The interface is really unintuitive.

The interface is _not_ unintuitive - that would mean that, with some effort, you could 'get' it and still use it.
You can't.
Walking, looting, equiping - these all are pain.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
how fucking hard can it be to do Diablo 2 with better graphics?

that's all they needed to do.

make everything a corridor

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not sure how the interface is 'unintuitive' going by the definitions in this thread. You hit C, get a menu, hit equip and there are all your armor slots. Is it 'cumbersome' and 'annoying' to navigate? Sure.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
YourDaddy said:
The interface is _not_ unintuitive - that would mean that, with some effort, you could 'get' it and still use it.
You can't.

Parts of it, like looting, are just plan bad design, I agree. I don't need to walk over money to pick it up (though companions do it for you?) and I definitely don't need to be RIGHT OVER loot to be able to pick it up.

But other stuff, like the inventory and combat, seem like they just take a bit of getting used to. They seem to suffer under some consolization and in that sense they're just plain bad, but they're not unworkable.

circ said:
Not sure if serious.

I wish I wasn't serious.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, they're highly consolized but I wasn't holding my breath that Obsidian would optimize them for the PC.

Micmu

Magister
Lockkaliber said:
how fucking hard can it be to do Diablo 2 with better graphics?

that's all they needed to do.
Because they are too busy being stupid not realizing that rotating camera madness does not work well in diablo clones.

Darkforge

Augur
hmm played this for about 10 minutes, don't think I am interested. Combat feels really weightless and boring, doesn't even feel like I am hitting the enemies. where have I seen this before... oh obsidian....

gromit

Arcane
Radisshu said:
"Persona?" :/
Yes? :/

Seemed to be the appropriate word, given I'm talking strictly about your affectation and interactions on the Codex - that is to say, your persona in this context. I'm assuming, having gotten off your ass and gotten an "honest job" that you're not a pale shadow of your former self in other walks of life (although you may now occasionally feel like, or be, a lifeless husk.)

"The role that one assumes or displays in public or society; one's public image or personality, as distinguished from the inner self." - Stedman's Medical Dictionary (providing a more comprehensive single definition than any I could find online, and the crappy "three redundant definitions plus hamfisted denotations of all metaphorical uses" piece of garbage "Standard English" dictionary on my shelf.)

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Ruprekt said:
MuscleSpark said:
The keyboard and mouse controls are definitely an abortion though.

And so far there only seems to be compatability with xbawx controllers.

You know there's a reason for that right? What with it being a Microsoft product and all... with native Windows support. PC games that support controllers are always going to support the 360 controller first and foremost.

Honestly, if you're going to use a controller on PC, why would you use anything else? Unless of course you only have access to a shitty PS3 controller. As console controllers go, the 360 controller is about the best you can get for use on PC.

Anyway, you should try xpadder which allows you to use just about any D3D compatible controller with any game.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When selecting difficulty, the Hardcore setting has this in the description: "Warning: not recommended for the faint of heart, or those prone to throwing CONTROLLERS". Obviously it follows that the UI features OTT giant buttons and massive text so you can read that shit from your coach while playing on your XBOX360. Will not buy, sick of this consolized trash.

Also, poor (or impatient) mans Diablo 3, clickfest in all its glory.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Actually PS3 controllers work, at least my Logitech one did -- not that I thought it played any better on a controller.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So I hear Obsidian finally made a game with a good camera :troll:
No seriously, I distinctly recall them hyping the camera in this game...

A shame, I'm in the mood for a mindless H&S...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Shannow said:
A shame, I'm in the mood for a mindless H&S...

You know, I'm someone who also loves on occasion just some mindless Hack and Slash.

It's a guilty pleasure. However GOOD and enjoyable mindless hack and slash combat is however a different topic.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The camera's indeed horribly restrictive. Shit's getting ridiculous, I wonder if Obsidian is doing it on purpose...

made

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Ruprekt said:
MuscleSpark said:

You know there's a reason for that right? What with it being a Microsoft product and all... with native Windows support. PC games that support controllers are always going to support the 360 controller first and foremost.

Honestly, if you're going to use a controller on PC, why would you use anything else? Unless of course you only have access to a shitty PS3 controller. As console controllers go, the 360 controller is about the best you can get for use on PC.

Anyway, you should try xpadder which allows you to use just about any D3D compatible controller with any game.
Been using a Logitech Rumblepad for a decade now, don't see a reason to buy a shitty Xbox pad just because Microsoft forcibly breaks compatibility with other controllers.

Anyway, vibmod takes care of that with little hassle. Fuck Microsoft.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
made said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Ruprekt said:
MuscleSpark said:

Been using a Logitech Rumblepad for a decade now, don't see a reason to buy a shitty Xbox pad just because Microsoft forcibly breaks compatibility with other controllers.

Anyway, vibmod takes care of that with little hassle. Fuck Microsoft.
:love: Logitech Rumblepad is great, using it for a very long time. I won't buy a shitty Xbox controller ever, I'd rather use mods like vibmod to force my Rumblepad to work. Just like in the Witcher. Fuck Microsoft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom