Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Get your Dungeon Siege III Demo

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As an observer I must say that the grammar discussion is far more pleasant than all the stuff about the game that was before.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
An army (<- singular) of whatever persons IS hiding.
Several armies (<- plural) ARE hiding.

Seems Jaesun is just wrong.

made

Arcane
Don't you just love schooling Americans in their own language? It's like Germany never lost the war.

Shannow

Waster of Time
VentilatorOfDoom said:
An army (<- singular) of whatever persons IS hiding.
Several armies (<- plural) ARE hiding.

Seems Jaesun is right.
Fixed.

Dunno how you could come to the wrong conclusion after stating the facts correctly.

Don't you just love schooling Americans in their own language? It's like Germany never lost the war.

The "Americans" have an own language?
Most in the USA speak English with a large minority speaking Spanish and other smaller minorities speaking other languages.
Canada: English, French.
Middle and South American countries: Mostly Spanish and Portugese with many, many different native languages.

I doubt anybody here speaks more than 2 or 3 of those languages and nobody in their right mind, not even crazy Tcherrmans would consider schooling Americans in all their spoken languages... :smug:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Shannow said:
Dunno how you could come to the wrong conclusion after stating the facts correctly.
Really?

An army of Lescanzi mercenaries IS hiding...

The core sentence is: An army IS hiding.
The inclusion of further segments like
An army [consisting of something] is hiding [somewhere] doing [something] doesn't change the fact that the verb IS is refering to the noun army and not some arbitrary other nouns within the sentence.
Of course I can't be 100% sure, because I'm not an american (boo hoo), but I don't buy it. Because otherwise - by the same logic - I had to say: I single dude - consisting of many bodycells - ARE walking down the street.

Long story short "IS" refers to the noun ARMY not MERCENARIES. Army is singular, therefor IS not ARE. The end.

Shannow

Waster of Time
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Shannow said:
Really?

An army of Lescanzi mercenaries IS hiding...

The core sentence is: An army IS hiding.
The inclusion of further segments like
An army [consisting of something] is hiding [somewhere] doing [something] doesn't change the fact that the verb IS is refering to the noun army and not some arbitrary other nouns within the sentence.
Of course I can't be 100% sure, because I'm not an american (boo hoo), but I don't buy it. Because otherwise - by the same logic - I had to say: I single dude - consisting of many bodycells - ARE walking down the street.

Long story short "IS" refers to the noun ARMY not MERCENARIES. Army is singular, therefor IS not ARE. The end.
Wow, you're right and I critically failed my reading comprehension check.
I thought Jaesun was :x about "an army are hiding"... Seems I didn't really read the text in the screenshot. Must have gotten distracted... (Although I think that "woman" looks damn ugly...)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's going on in this topic? With so many grammar nazis, I fear another world war is coming. :what:

KevinV12000

Arcane
The "army is" and the "army are" fight actually relates to the fact that British English and American English handle the multple-member singular noun differently in different contexts, and this difference of opinion sometimes leaks into regional useage in both countries.

In standard American useage, however, the noun "army" is singular, and therefore "the army is..." is correct.

This console game still sucks, though.

I feel really bad for Obsidian on this one. After the mighty high of New Vegas, this crap.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Grunker said:
Metro said:
RPGrammardex

Putting the Spell back in Spellcheck.
"Army" is a collective noun:

"When the members are acting as individuals, the collective noun is plural and requires plural verbs and pronouns. "

So we have to decide whether the army being hidden is due to the individual soldiers hiding ("an army are hiding"), or not, because we're talking about a different scale here ("an army is hiding"). Which is better and why? Discuss!1!

Radisshu

Prophet
So you just discussed whether a singular object should be referred to using "is" or "are" for twenty-five pages?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Radisshu said:
So you just discussed whether a singular object should be referred to using "is" or "are" for twenty-five pages?
The point is, whether it's really the singular object, or each if its members. And it's 4 pages only.

"A group of Scoia'tael are hiding in the forest" - perfectly fine since each invidividual nonhuman is hiding.

"An army are hiding behind two hills" - debatable.

Cynic

Arcane
Bros, sorry to distract you from your grammar faggotry, but I've got a question. Has anyone tried playing the demo on PC with a PS3 controller via the MotionInJoy drivers? I can't get the controller to do anything. I've never really used a game pad on the PC before...the thing is calibrated and everything, analog sticks work in the calibration and all, it just doesn't do anything in the game. I even ticked the "gamepad support" button in the options. Still nothing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cynic said:
Bros, sorry to distract you from your grammar faggotry, but I've got a question. Has anyone tried playing the demo on PC with a PS3 controller via the MotionInJoy drivers? I can't get the controller to do anything. I've never really used a game pad on the PC before...the thing is calibrated and everything, analog sticks work in the calibration and all, it just doesn't do anything in the game. I even ticked the "gamepad support" button in the options. Still nothing.
Try vibmod.
http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?au ... howfile=32

Altough I'm not sure that it works with a PS3, but my Logitech Rumblepad (which is similar to the PS3 controller) worked fine with it.

Radisshu

Prophet
Elwro said:
Radisshu said:
The point is, whether it's really the singular object, or each if its members. And it's 4 pages only.

"A group of Scoia'tael are hiding in the forest" - perfectly fine since each invidividual nonhuman is hiding.

"An army are hiding behind two hills" - debatable.

It's not debatable. "An army" is singular, whether it's just "an army" or "an army of mutated grapes".

Does "the army were defeated" sound good to you? "The army are prepared for battle."

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Army are? Are you dumb? Or simply american?

I mean seriously, people sometimes have weirdest ideas. It's less about grammar and more about common sense.

Radisshu

Prophet
Hoaxmetal said:
Army are? Are you dumb? Or simply american?

I mean seriously, people sometimes have weirdest ideas. It's less about grammar and more about common sense.

I am, by providing examples, showing that "army" is a singular by acting as if it was not. It's not very complicated to decipher, Azrael. And that "common sense" is internalised grammar.

EDIT: Or are you talking to Jasede?

pipka

Savant
???

npc54.gif
: Just as planned.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
EDIT: Or are you talking to Jasede?
Jasede and everyone else who'd even think that "army are" could be debatable.

And I'm not Azrael, ffs, I had this avatar a year before he started using it too.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sorry to interrupt the grammarnazi fest and kwanzania bashing, I just found non steam demo and downloading will post my opinion later. :salute:
Jaesun shud realy change his wicked ways now he's both fag who can't into good pair of boobs and typical kwan moron who can't speak english. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom