Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Latelistener

Arcane
Sony games are getting steadily cheaper over time. You'll have to wait though. Days Gone came out 3 years ago, now it's <$10.

Sentinel

Arcane
Days Gone btw is an excellent game. Completely underrated among the troglodytes here.
I played it on PS4 for 2 hours and it just seemed like a prettier ubisoft open world. The gameplay was as bad. The lip syncing was also terrible enough to be distracting in every cutscene.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I played this on PS4 and had a good enough time. The open world slop like outpost clearing does get old, and after a certain point I just made a beeline for story missions to get it done. If you just want a very pretty open world samurai sim where you cut dudes up with a katana, it's worth it.
Yes, there are a number of repetitive mission types, such as destroy every Mongol outpost, liberate every village, or even locate every fox shrine, but the player can simply choose to limit his engagement with any/all of them while pursuing the main quest. It should even possible to ignore not only the miscellaneous side quests but also the four series of quests revolving around particular individuals (except that you need to start the first three in order to gain access to stealth, archery, and proper armor). The gameplay otherwise is decent enough, and the game often looks gorgeous.

0oU8BM6.jpg
02PkFSw.jpg

wf0CD4w.jpg
l07cnN3.jpg

and the game often looks gorgeous.

Correction: the game often looked gorgeous running on a Sony microwave. In May, running on a ray traced PC card, it will make graphics whores everywhere orgasm uncontrollably.

Days Gone btw is an excellent game. Completely underrated among the troglodytes here.
Never want to touch another zombie game again for the rest of my life.

I am not following. Because Days Gone was so good or so bad?

How come? Some zombie games are great (7 Days to Die, Days Gone, even Dying Light has its moments).

cruel

Cipher
I'm surprised to see so many comparisons with Ubisoft games. Sure, some of the Open World tasks can get pretty boring after a while (but they stay optional), but everything else - combat, music, art style, mechanics, overall charm and attention to detail - all of those are miles ahead of whatever Ubi had delivered in last years.

Just for context - I was not able to tolerate Origins / Odyssey / Valhalla for more than 1h, max 2h for Origins. With GoT, I happily spent 80h+, having fun most of the time. It's like comparing 5/10 game with a 8/10 game to be honest. It's not a 'Ubisoft-like game', it's more like 'what kind of samurai open world game Ubisoft would wish to produce, but doesn't have the talent to do so'.

I haven't played Ghost of Sashimi yet, so can't speak on that, but in general, I noticed there are a lot of retards here who rush to label any game as Ubisoft-like. I've seen this done with outstanding games like Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild. If you can't see the difference between soulless crap that Ubisoft churns out and games like that, maybe you need a new brain. And that's why I am holding out hope for Ghost of Sashimi until I actually play it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Witcher 3 is just a bloated open-world game. To classify as a Ubisoft game there must be hostile forts to liberate :)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

It's mediocre trash. It has a boring protagonist, a boring story, really bad mission design and repetitive gameplay. It does nothing to elevate itself above the sea of similar AAA open world laundry list games.

I guess it could be fun if you've played a limited amount of AAA open world games.

I've seen this done with outstanding games like Witcher 3

Oh. That explains it.

The silent codex majority decided that W3 is excellent. But the people who talk a lot here (minus yours truly) keep sperging and pretending like W3 ain't great.

Modron

Arcane
In fairness, the Codex hivemind decided, upon mature reflection, that The Witcher III was actually its GotY 2015. :M
Witcher 3 came in third in 2015 goty after Underrail and Age of Decadence: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/codex-goty-2015-results.107369/

The thing you posted was a multiyear vote like 2013-2017 affair conducted a few years later which just went to show you never trust the taste of 2018 and beyond codexers.

Just compare 2012's top rpg poll to 2019's if you want to see how the codex had regressed by that point (then start thinking about what 2020 and beyond posters would do):
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results-and-reviews.89680/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-rpg-codexs-top-101-pc-rpgs-with-user-reviews.129007/

The silent codex majority decided that W3 is excellent. But the people who talk a lot here (minus yours truly) keep sperging and pretending like W3 ain't great.
Base game Witcher 3 is an 8 out of 10 at best.

Don't make me pull the D out, Modron.

Witcher 3 is a masterpiece of video game art, Underrail and AoD are niche little indie games. It's not even a valid comparison, it's like comparing a Ferrari to someone's hand-rigged tricycle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom