Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Ezekiel

Arcane
They don't need our money. Their games were going to get ported anyway. This is what happens when you keep making games that cost 120 to 150 million dollars to make and not enough people are buying your consoles anymore. If as many people bought the PS4 as bought the PS2, then that still wouldn't be as much for the developers whose games now cost five times as much to make, if not more. MGS2 was a 10 million dollar game. MGS5 was 80 million, which is probably modest compared to Sony's games. It doesn't make sense for them to stay exclusive.

Cassar

Savant
They don't need our money. Their games were going to get ported anyway. This is what happens when you keep making games that cost 120 to 150 million dollars to make and not enough people are buying your consoles anymore. If as many people bought the PS4 as bought the PS2, then that still wouldn't be as much for the developers whose games now cost five times as much to make, if not more. MGS2 was a 10 million dollar game. MGS5 was 80 million, which is probably modest compared to Sony's games. It doesn't make sense for them to stay exclusive.

Pretty accurate reasoning. Consoles seem to be declining gen on gen or at best stagnating. When you think that the best selling console came out 22 years ago and then the next sold half as much and the next one after that sold 70% as much, from a much bigger audience. While PC grows like crazy year after year to insanse numbers and its almost as big as all three consoles combined.

But sony's games are on the cheaper side actually in the industry. 80 million for mgs5 is because kojima was fucking around and thats why they booted him. Outside of Uncharted and Last of Us all their studios are much cheaper than 3rd party games. Horizon was 40 million or something like that, while Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the same timeframe was at max 135 million. And similar games of that period were around that cost.

You cant pour unlimited money into an exclusive that targets one platform instead of four. Even playing god of war, you can see the modest budget and cuts they had to make at every step. Reskined bosses, hilariously small and empty enviroments. I mean, the entire game is empty. Everything is static, theres no interactivity of any kind other than a barrel here and there. Repeated animation for killing enemies or opening doors or climbing, etc. Rushed production during the final act to get the game out the door. Its not a big budget game, its a game made on a pretty tight budget and it shows from the first second until the last. The sequels are gonna be the big budget games, both horizon and ragnrock, because they're now proven sellers. You can see in the trailer for Ragnarock, everything is more alive, more detailed - they got a larger budget now that sales projections are in the 10 million range. Before it was deemed a risky project

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
f im to be honest, im a bit happy, because at no point in time did i think sony outputs anything other than submediocre games. Either stale and primitive open worlds that copy ubisoft from 10 years ago (spiderman, tsushima) or cinematic junk where the gameplay and design take the most distant backseat and presentation and npc's talking is the main concern.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a good action game.

JDR13

Arcane
If you think none of their ports are above mediocre, I doubt you've actually played Horizon Zero Dawn or Days Gone.

Cassar

Savant
If you think none of their ports are above mediocre, I doubt you've actually played Horizon Zero Dawn or Days Gone.

im not refering to the PC ports. They're good. I was talking about the games themselves.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Is this basically like Dark Souls except if it was made by retarded western fags instead of based autistic japofags?

No. It's really not that good. I also wouldn't say it's bad, but I'm like 4 hours in and I don't really understand the mass, collective, critical and public orgasm that occurred on its original release. It's a mediocre beat-em-up that's more or less on rails, with levels being just a series of corridors. Developers obviously put lots of work into the cinematic elements, but the gameplay is mediocre at best.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No. It's really not that good. I also wouldn't say it's bad, but I'm like 4 hours in and I don't really understand the mass, collective, critical and public orgasm that occurred on its original release. It's a mediocre beat-em-up that's more or less on rails, with levels being just a series of corridors. Developers obviously put lots of work into the cinematic elements, but the gameplay is mediocre at best.

It has great animation and it tells an entertaining story, that's it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
^ its ok for what this is, but my take from all four sony games so far released on steam is that PC folks dont really give many fucks about sony's cinematic self-playing experiences. 70k CC users is in the allright cathegory, depending on what game you are. Considering this was felated to hell and back and pushed as some kind of game of the decade stuff, this is a pretty lame result. Pretty much any big game released this year had much more users in the first day, even something like Outriders. In fact, Tomb Raider in 2013 with a fraction of the users today had 90K users. If im to be honest, im a bit happy, because at no point in time did i think sony outputs anything other than submediocre games. Either stale and primitive open worlds that copy ubisoft from 10 years ago (spiderman, tsushima) or cinematic junk where the gameplay and design take the most distant backseat and presentation and npc's talking is the main concern.
Everyone already played it on PS4

Cassar

Savant
^ its ok for what this is, but my take from all four sony games so far released on steam is that PC folks dont really give many fucks about sony's cinematic self-playing experiences. 70k CC users is in the allright cathegory, depending on what game you are. Considering this was felated to hell and back and pushed as some kind of game of the decade stuff, this is a pretty lame result. Pretty much any big game released this year had much more users in the first day, even something like Outriders. In fact, Tomb Raider in 2013 with a fraction of the users today had 90K users. If im to be honest, im a bit happy, because at no point in time did i think sony outputs anything other than submediocre games. Either stale and primitive open worlds that copy ubisoft from 10 years ago (spiderman, tsushima) or cinematic junk where the gameplay and design take the most distant backseat and presentation and npc's talking is the main concern.
Everyone already played it on PS4

The people who played it on ps4 are playstation gamers. And even them didnt even played it much. At the time when ps4 sold over 100 million units gow was announced at 10 million sales, after a year and a half almost. 1 in 10 ps4 gamers "bought" the game. Likely much less, because the way sony counts its game sales is so they can artificially inflate the numbers. The games are almost given away for free after a couple of months and they start selling bundled consoles with games so when someone buys that console because its the only one available sony counts it as another sale.

PC has very litttle overlap with either console. No, most pc gamers dont also have a console. Im a pc gamer because i enjoy PC and its games. If i cared about console games, i wouldnt be a pc gamer. The reason none of the four sony games had any sales on pc to match their hype is probably a combination of factors, but pc gamers not being very impressed or caring that much seems to be a big reason. Because as i've said, if they would care much about sony's output, they'd be playstation gamers instead

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those concurrent player numbers are fine for what's a single-player action-adventure. As noted, it's Sony's biggest PC launch yet. All these people buying a port of a four year old game for $50, I'm sure Sony is quite happy with it.

passerby

Arcane
It's a last gen 4 y.o. game, if it could benefit from the original release marketing and media hype, it'd be selling few times more on PC.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
PS4 is a blu ray player (and also dvds), get it right. :rpgcodex:

vibehunter

Learned
Why do people worship this game? All I see is a typical Sony exclusive.

On Steam it's overwhelmingly positive. I find it hilarious how so-called PC gamers get an orgasm when a console game gets ported. No wonder PC gamers get called "port beggars".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm having a good time. It's so well done and so expertly paced it doesn't give you any time to think about how relatively simple and repetitive it is.

Plus it's a major AAA Kwan entertainment product with zero wokeness (so far; I'm sure GoW 2 will be all about Kratos' lost daughter and how goddesses really are much more powerful then gods but are too responsible to use their power fully and some Norse gods and goddesses are dark skinned, naturally, you didn't know that bigot?).

Machocruz

Arcane
RE Village is also Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam. An ok-at-best game, not even good as GoW, that no one was talking about two weeks after it released and wound up in bargain bins about the same time. PC has it's own caste of peasants.

Ryzer

Arcane
Meanwhile, still no actual good PS4 port to be seen:
BLOODBORNE. :negative:

Which is a much better game all around and deserves much more recognition.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I read somewhere that the director admitted to choosing the third person shooter camera for the "cinematic" feel rather than for gameplay function.
The old GoWs even aped cinema better, by having varied camera angles. He's full of shit and/or doesn't understand film. He just chose it because other popular games use that perspective, I bet.
The funny thing is that they used the same kind of language when discussing the camera in the original trilogy. Now they act like the new camera is cinematic and the old wasn't.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii

The article starts talking about God of War III's camera at the bottom of the first page.

"The camera is not fixed. It is highly scripted to provide a highly cinematic play experience, yes, but in no meaning of the word is the camera fixed," director of technology Christer Ericson explained on the Beyond 3D forum.

"Within the setup cinematic parameters there is a lot of room for the camera to adjust to the action that happens on the screen (where the player is, where the enemies are, etc). Because of the amount of adjustments the camera system can make automatically, there are very few assumptions that can be made about what to render or not render...

"We could easily allow the user full control of the camera during gameplay. The reason we do not is because we feel it breaks the cinematic experience that we have carefully crafted, not because there is some geometry missing if you turn around..."

Ericson likens the implementation to the dolly used in film-making, with the camera on an arm, able to move in, out, pan, zoom and tilt.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom