Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More "GoG introduces regional pricing" drama:

GoG said:
Getting back to our roots

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
Oh come on, they really had to backpedal on this? Sure, paying in dollars is the best, but since they didn't want to use a 1USD=1EUR=1GBP conversion, but a more fair one, it wouldn't have hurt much. Now this is just whining on the community's side, and really made the acquisition of new IPs harder.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1954 Alcatraz released: http://af.gog.com/game/1954_alcatraz?as=1649904300

Do not buy it. Not at full price, at least. I couldn't even finish the German version; I doubt the English one is any better.

Wait, is this game in-house Daedalic or something more like the situation with Journey of a Roach?

It was a side studio that Daedalic bought so it's technically part of Daedalic now, but not really - the lead writer/designer isn't part of the core Daedalic team. He actually did A Vampyre Story earlier, which I remember as being mediocre too.

Last edited by a moderator:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I say :love:, but that's mainly because the dev posted on the 'dex and gave me a Steam copy for free, and I'm easily bought. I haven't actually played it.

I have however seen it streamed by Menckenstein, with a rap soundtrack for OG Elodie. That girl dies a lot but she's an stone-cold killer.

Edit: It's all about attempting to figure out what stats to raise when to pass stat checks, so AoD fans should love it.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
It's nowhere near as good as AoD.
There are too many skills and too little content to support them. Which means that only a few very specific combinations of skills can finish the game, and it's impossible to know which ones without metagame knowledge. AoD also suffers from this, but to a much lesser extent, being more flexible and predictable in its checks, and less linear too.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I'd prefer a 1USD=1EUR=1GBP=1 potato fair pricing conversion.

How is that a fair pricing conversion when the currencies don't have equal value?
IT'S ABOUT PRICE IN WORK YOU PRIVILEGED SHITLADY!

So your work is three times as valuable as a Kwa doing the same work and five times as valuable as a Brit doing the same work? What?

Look it's fine to make an argument that firms should price goods lower in poorer countries to stay competitive in markets where there is less disposable income, but that's a separate issue than fair currency conversion. To use your proposed system, the Brits would have to pay more than Kwas for gog games, despite Kwas having about $4000 extra in disposable income per year -- hardly pricing fairness.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Long Live the Queen for $4.

:killit:
The dumbfuckery of main character is beyond perception of any person with IQ higher than my shoes.

How is that a fair pricing conversion when the currencies don't have equal value?
Who the hell care about some dumb "comparable value"? We want to cheap prices, that's all. And all that latest "regional prices" changes (GMG changed - for example - dolan$ into friggin pounds for Potatos citizens) so any bubling about regional exchange is laugh.

Eyeball

Arcane
Oi Judas, is there any chance of adding the old Legend Entertainment adventure games? Companions of Xanth, Shannara, Death Gate, Superhero League of Hoboken and the like? I just replayed Xanth for the first time in about two decades and it is still charming and very good looking. I'd pay Money for a voiced version of Death Gate.

Exxos

Educated
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd prefer a 1USD=1EUR=1GBP=1 potato fair pricing conversion.

IT'S ABOUT PRICE IN WORK YOU PRIVILEGED SHITLADY!

So your work is three times as valuable as a Kwa doing the same work and five times as valuable as a Brit doing the same work? What?

Look it's fine to make an argument that firms should price goods lower in poorer countries to stay competitive in markets where there is less disposable income, but that's a separate issue than fair currency conversion. To use your proposed system, the Brits would have to pay more than Kwas for gog games, despite Kwas having about $4000 extra in disposable income per year -- hardly pricing fairness.

That looks nice on paper, but in practice it does not work that way.

I followed the thread on gog where they compare the regional prices. I don't know but I'd think the BR price would be lower from US one not on the same level or higher. Heck, many prices seem to be pulled out of some deranged mind.

Then you get to the best part, Russia. I get it when the difference is 5-10$, sure. But when I see that I'd have to over pay 50% for the same game/content/everything I just give up and pirate the hell out of it.

In short that pricing method mostly benefits Russia, to a very small degree other selected countries and screws over most others.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oi Judas, is there any chance of adding the old Legend Entertainment adventure games? Companions of Xanth, Shannara, Death Gate, Superhero League of Hoboken and the like? I just replayed Xanth for the first time in about two decades and it is still charming and very good looking. I'd pay Money for a voiced version of Death Gate.

Legend Entertainment was acquired by Infogrames (who later became Atari) in 1999. There's no word on whether they sold the Legend IPs in their bankruptcy sale last year.

A Death Gate and Xanth rerelease may be unlikely in any case though because those are licensed properties.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Oh man, I'd love to see those on our site! Especially the talkie version of Superhero League. I am not sure we'll see those or not, it depends on where they ended up ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom