Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

https://af.gog.com/game/cave_storys_secret_santa?as=1649904300

It's our holiday gift to you: Cave Story's Secret Santa, a new game you can download for a limited time and play for FREE! It's a bite-sized side story of stealth and puzzle solving, with familiar characters and settings from Studio Pixel's classic adventure.

El Presidente

Arcane
Uh... polandbros, you guys alright ?

svyzktw.jpg

dacencora

Any other recommendations
Yes. Don't give money to underserving vultures.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/black-dahlia-cmy
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/callahan-s-crosstime-saloon-a1d
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/claw-a39
etc., etc.

Cue the "But GOG makes it so easy, I couldn't possibly comprehend the arcane machinations of Dosbox!"
Far be it from me to stop a crusade on GOG, but sometimes GOG has the only playable version of a game on a modern PC. I'm talking about 16-bit era Windows software. Stuff made for Win95/98. There is a gap there that is hard to get playable without compromises.

For DOS stuff, yeah, eXoDOS is far superior to GOG. The Win3X collection is also fantastic. Lots of people have asked eXo about making a Win9x collection, but it is significantly more difficult than the other collections.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Refocussing on the FAP material. Just get an anime cyber sex doll. I hear they sell them now. Skip the shit rpg elements and bang your synthetic whore. Set her on auto to drain you dry and rub you raw.
bidi.. fucki sucki... you want more bidi bada boo
TQVhTTZ.png
LOOK I FOUND A BUNNY ONE!

4 years ago

1 year..

and there are probably newer innovations.

All these damn robots and I can barely get various emulators to work.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really want to know who the hell is running GOG's marketing decisions. Here's a chronology:

- They drop the Good Old Games label and start taking in all sorts of crap games when they could have continued to focus on attaining licenses for old and popular titles. But maybe we should give them a break here, considering they were trying to compete with Steam and wanted to expand their offerings.
- After this decision, they pretty much turn their backs on new Indie titles that might interest fans of older games (complete fail initially on Grimoire, for instance). Meanwhile Steam fills in that gap on major indie efforts and does its Greenlight program to promote lesser indies that have significant fan backing.
- Steam decides to no longer support hentai and western adult games. GOG has a small window to take advantage of that, but does nothing (except for the old, popular Leisure Suit Larry series), despite being a European company where sexual content is more culturally permissible. Steam reverses its decision about a year or so later and now there's a ton of adult material always being touted on its website. GOG only follows suit this year and for shitty games like the ones catfood and El Presidente are showing above.

GOG has had a few opportunities to be bold and compete with Steam, but the company seems to wait and see what Steam does first and how well received those decisions are before it acts. I try to support them since they are DRM-free, but it's like the marketing section is run by morons. I'm also a Linux user, and a lot of getting their Linux versions of their games working requires some work on my end once I download the game. Unlike Steam, which only requires me to hit the download and installations buttons. I'm constantly having to do extra work to get my GOG Linux games running and stay running.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm also a Linux user, and a lot of getting their Linux versions of their games working requires some work on my end once I download the game. Unlike Steam, which only requires me to hit the download and installations buttons. I'm constantly having to do extra work to get my GOG Linux games running and stay running.

Just use Steam. Valve has almost single-handedly pulled Linux gaming out of the dark ages. GOG doesn't even allow us to patch our games without re-downloading the entire thing.

dacencora

Route all your games through Steam. Or I guess use Lutris.
Better to buy on Steam rather than trying to use Proton on GOG Windows games. Also I find Proton to have a better success rate than Lutris. I used to buy games on GOG, but now I rarely do. Even if it’s more expensive on Steam, it’s usually just a better experience overall.

Endemic

Arcane
Unlike Steam, which only requires me to hit the download and installations buttons. I'm constantly having to do extra work to get my GOG Linux games running and stay running.

Which games specifically? Agreed that there's spotty configuration for DOSBox games in Linux, I had to write my own config file for HoMM2. But others have a straightforward installer written for Linux.

I tried Proton on Steam (on a Debian offshoot called Devuan) and none of the games I wanted to play worked, unless they were natively compatible to begin with.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have no issues with ADOM, TOME, or Dragon Wars from GOG. But I can no longer run Undertale or Stardew Valley. Most likely I'll just have to reinstall the games and download and reinstall the kernels or packages according to the directions on GOG's store pages. But again, that's a lot of fucking work for games that I will play for about 30 minute sesssions and will only come back to once in awhile. Meanwhile, I come back to games like Crusader Kings 2 or Eschalon Book 1 once in a blue moon on my Steam account and they load up just fine on my Linux laptop. I have an older Windows 7 laptop I run for the older games as I ditched Windows after Win 8.

Melcar

Arcane
From my GOG games, I have more issues with the Linux native games. Usually due to either the dev. or GOG not updating and so you are stuck with obsolete libraries (launching the games in Steam usually solves this). The old Windows titles are easier to get working, either with simple Wine Staging + DXVK or some Proton build you can easily get yourself online or with Lutris.
I have a harder time getting Windows games to work with Steam + Proton, but usually they do work.

lightbane

Arcane
Steam reverses its decision about a year or so later and now there's a ton of adult material always being touted on its website. GOG only follows suit this year and for shitty games like the ones catfood and El Presidente are showing above.

Still barely any Alicesoft game in either store though, while plenty of bad hentai games are okay.

GOG also often has missing content compared to the stuff you buy at Steam, such as major updates done some time after the game is released.

Boleskine

Arcane
I really want to know who the hell is running GOG's marketing decisions. Here's a chronology:

- They drop the Good Old Games label and start taking in all sorts of crap games when they could have continued to focus on attaining licenses for old and popular titles. But maybe we should give them a break here, considering they were trying to compete with Steam and wanted to expand their offerings.
- After this decision, they pretty much turn their backs on new Indie titles that might interest fans of older games (complete fail initially on Grimoire, for instance). Meanwhile Steam fills in that gap on major indie efforts and does its Greenlight program to promote lesser indies that have significant fan backing.
- Steam decides to no longer support hentai and western adult games. GOG has a small window to take advantage of that, but does nothing (except for the old, popular Leisure Suit Larry series), despite being a European company where sexual content is more culturally permissible. Steam reverses its decision about a year or so later and now there's a ton of adult material always being touted on its website. GOG only follows suit this year and for shitty games like the ones catfood and El Presidente are showing above.

GOG has had a few opportunities to be bold and compete with Steam, but the company seems to wait and see what Steam does first and how well received those decisions are before it acts. I try to support them since they are DRM-free, but it's like the marketing section is run by morons. I'm also a Linux user, and a lot of getting their Linux versions of their games working requires some work on my end once I download the game. Unlike Steam, which only requires me to hit the download and installations buttons. I'm constantly having to do extra work to get my GOG Linux games running and stay running.

Trevor Longino aka EnigmaticT was the GOG marketing guy from their early days until sometime in 2014. He left around or soon after GOG's horrendous "Good news!" regional pricing announcement. I think he saw the writing on the wall and the direction the site was heading, along with the increasing detachment of the top shot callers. EnigmaticT had his share of blunders, namely the fake site shutdown stunt in late 2010 (probably not his decision anyway), but otherwise he did a commendable job of communicating with users. For a year or so he produced "This Week on GOG" videos that also boosted engagement with the community and customers while building excitement for upcoming mystery releases.

Anyway, when EnigmaticT left I don't think anybody really filled that void. One or a few people were certainly making the marketing and PR decisions, but the 'special touch' was gone. GOG's marketing has absolutely been on a downslide since then. They've pissed off loyal customers with the direction of the business, they've pissed off casual shoppers with botched high-profile releases, and they've even pissed off SJWs with social media mishaps. It's just a total clusterfuck all around with no clear vision guiding the major decisions.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wine and Wine Staging merge the Proton stuff very quickly nowadays so you can simply use Wine Staging for non-Steam games instead of trying to run them through Proton. Personally i actually had more issues getting Steam games to run (e.g. trying a bunch of different Proton versions) than Wine where pretty much all of the GOG games i've tried worked out fine.

Wine Staging + DXVK + VKD3D-Proton (which doesn't actually need Proton) seems to run everything fine. I also run things under Gamescope but that is mainly so that i can force arbitrary resolutions, nearest neighbor scaling and window mode toggling without the game knowing (or blowing up due to Windows specific assumptions).

(And besides it isn't like on Windows everything is problem free, otherwise sites like pcgamingwiki wouldn't exist)

Neuromancer

Augur
He left around or soon after GOG's horrendous "Good news!" regional pricing announcement.
Yeah, this regional pricing shit was probably the beginning of the decline for GOG.

No regional pricing was one of the basic pillars for GOG and probably one of the reasons, that many people started buying there.

From the archives:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120209021355/http://www.gog.com/en/about

8. Same game, same price, no matter where you're from!

We believe that all gamers around the world should be treated equally. Therefore GOG.com is available to everyone, everywhere, and we offer the same prices to gamers from all countries. Getting the worldwide rights to the games takes some extra effort on our part, but we think it's worth the reward of opening up our site to the world.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the issue with regional pricing? It seems to be one of the most commonly requested features i read about online stores that do not support it.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Regional pricing is shit when you live in the third world but you are charged as though you were in the first world.

But that is the case with not having regional pricing too since in that case prices are chosen for US, EU, etc not 3rd world countries. If anything, the people i see asking for regional pricing tend to be people from places where they find the prices from lack of regional pricing too high.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom