Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So that's the today announcement? Some trash for few dolans? Yeah, that's what I want from old games sites.

Bruticis

Steam is releasing a lot of old SqueeEnix games and a bunch of old topware games were added to the registry, hopefully they can keep going with more old junk. I hope this new competition gets GOG off its lazy ass and back on track again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam is releasing a lot of old SqueeEnix games and a bunch of old topware games were added to the registry, hopefully they can keep going with more old junk. I hope this new competition gets GOG off its lazy ass and back on track again.

They added Omikron now too. Fuuuuuuu

Boleskine

Arcane
In a way I think it's a sign of why GOG had to release indies and broaden their catalog outside of classics.

GOG made "old games" popular for digital distribution, so now publishers want to put those games on other platforms like Steam to get more sales.

The shit of it is that GOG probably does most of the legwork to get these old games running on newer systems, and the publishers can just take GOG's installers and modify them a bit for other stores.

For example, the D&D collection at GamersGate is pretty much the same installers from the GOG versions of the included games.

LizardKing

Scholar
I appreciate gog for what they're doing.
I prefer old games, but if they have to release indie games , I have nothing against it.
Some of those indie titles are fantastic (Primordia, Eador..)

As long as gog releases stay DRM free and they keep releasing oldies, Im a happy customer.
Im willing to pay a few dollars more for a DRM free product with some bonus materials.
Fuck Steam.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

But did they add the fix for video cards with more than 2 GB of VRAM? :D

Bruticis

But did they add the fix for video cards with more than 2 GB of VRAM? :D
Gaben does the bare minimum most of the time so I highly doubt it.

Bruticis

I appreciate gog for what they're doing.
I prefer old games, but if they have to release indie games , I have nothing against it.
Some of those indie titles are fantastic (Primordia, Eador..)

As long as gog releases stay DRM free and they keep releasing oldies, Im a happy customer.
Im willing to pay a few dollars more for a DRM free product with some bonus materials.
Fuck Steam.
You can do the whole fuck steam rants all you want. Steam is still the big dog on the block and when they start dipping into GOG's realm, it's going to have an impact at some point.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I always love people who go on rants against Steam. It makes me feel like I'm back in 2007.

Meanwhile I'm getting the best of both worlds by buying from multiple different digital distributors.

Bruticis

I always love people who go on rants against Steam. It makes me feel like I'm back in 2007.

Meanwhile I'm getting the best of both worlds by buying from multiple different digital distributors.
This, brand loyalty is fucking idiotic. No offense to Judas of course, but I'm going to buy my stuff where ever it's cheapest and most convenient. I don't mind paying for full price for the old classics when they are first released on GOG but if Steam is going to do the same thing, I might start waiting for the mega sales.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I doubt GOG have a stack of awesome classics they're laughing at and ignoring to sell more indie platformers. If they fill their empty spaces with indies I don't really care. If I get games I want DRM free I am happy for it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Since I won their contest from yesterday, I picked Papers, Please. I read some good comments about it here.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

LizardKing

Scholar
brand loyalty is fucking idiotic.

I have a problem with old games requiring Steam client and it has nothing to do with brands.
It has everything to do with DRM.
There's no way Im going to install any kind of client to my old laptop in order to play something like Might & Magic III.
An old game + modern DRM makes no sense to me. It's just inconvenient.
If I have to choose between Steam version and DRM free, DRM free is the way to go, no matter what the brand is.
Gog patch and tweak their games, they are DRM free and I find it convenient. Therefore I prefer Gog over Steam for oldies.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Point is Steam with its DRM and RAM consumption is all but convenient; Even when cool Steam features like workshop are concerned you can always check Nexus or fan sites; so the few kwanbucks payed less and achievements are not worth it. With GOG I download and play when I want not Steam or Internetz provider.

Boleskine

Arcane
brand loyalty is fucking idiotic.

I have a problem with old games requiring Steam client and it has nothing to do with brands.
It has everything to do with DRM.
There's no way Im going to install any kind of client to my old laptop in order to play something like Might & Magic III.
An old game + modern DRM makes no sense to me. It's just inconvenient.
If I have to choose between Steam version and DRM free, DRM free is the way to go, no matter what the brand is.
Gog patch and tweak their games, they are DRM free and I find it convenient. Therefore I prefer Gog over Steam for oldies.

Great post. I wholeheartedly agree.

Bruticis

So you want to pay more for the same product? Got it, you're stupid, that's all you had to say in the first place.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
If you've got internet to post here, there's really no reason you can't use Steam and the RAM consumption should only bother you if you're running a PC with less than 2GB RAM, which nobody who is serious about gaming does nowadays. Steam might be DRM, but it's not near as inconvenient as people make it out to be. If your internet goes down it's still got a fully functional offline mode so you can play the games (just like if you downloaded it from GoG) and even if the Steam service goes down you can keep downloading your games because the Steam servers and the content servers are separate.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not wanting to use Steam, that's entirely their choice, but I do find it odd because the reasons given usually date back to a mentality people had pre-2007. This is 2013. Internet and RAM requirements shouldn't be an issue for all but the most backwards countries and/or people. We don't all have dial-up and pentium 4s with 512mb RAM anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom