Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don’t recall if any of the doom engines allowed underwater swimming or flying. That is the one thing I really enjoyed about Duke Nukem 3D. Hell, now I’m not sure about Blood or Rise of the Triad. Strife often gets talked about little.

And there’s the whole Apogee Blakestone games and capstone software games like Corridor 7 and Witchaven series. Maybe there are a few others like Shatner’s Tekwars. Have there been attempts to convert these into the brutal engine? Is there reason to bother? I don’t recall them holding my interest too long esp the Frustrating Tekwars.

Hmmm…. Brutal Duke.

Lemming42

Arcane
Heretic and Hexen both had flying. Not sure about underwater swimming.

Blake Stone definitely deserves some gameplay mods, it's a surprisingly fun game. There is at least a source port which makes it very smooth to play on modern computers.

I don’t recall if any of the doom engines allowed underwater swimming or flying.
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Wings_of_Wrath

The doom engine doesn't specifically prohibit many things other than the rendering limitation of not having one floor directly above another. There's limits on #s of various things you can have and design decisions like infinite collision height enemies but these can be trivially changed to whatever you want them to be in minutes if you have the source code and so aren't really an engine limitation.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Utter Heresy looks much better than the recent Heretic wads that won Cacowards, though I only played the first level. But it's got that "Just one more level!" quality the original had. Fun fact: Duke Nukem 3D is John Romero's second all-time favorite game. He's right to think that, you know. John Carmack was like, "Pfffft! If you could only see how poorly coded that Build engine was! It's like a teenager did it!"

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wanted to ask the autistic purists who settle for nothing less than the authentic experience: Guys, what do you think the best, most compatible soundfont is for Doom-engine or even just General MIDI games? I heard it's impossible to replicate exactly the way Bobby Prince's music sounded using any existing soundfont though I recently listened to Roland SC-55 v3.7 and thought it came quite close. Soundfonts like Timbres Of Heaven or even Arachno sound lush and impressive at first then suddenly they'll hit a note so mis-sampled and overbearing it sounds like the death of a hundred squalling babies thrown into a fire pit.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
Wanted to ask the autistic purists who settle for nothing less than the authentic experience: Guys, what do you think the best, most compatible soundfont is for Doom-engine or even just General MIDI games? I heard it's impossible to replicate exactly the way Bobby Prince's music sounded using any existing soundfont though I recently listened to Roland SC-55 v3.7 and thought it came quite close. Soundfonts like Timbres Of Heaven or even Arachno sound lush and impressive at first then suddenly they'll hit a note so mis-sampled and overbearing it sounds like the death of a hundred squalling babies thrown into a fire pit.
I wouldn't bother too much with trying to establish that since no custom soundfonts can replicate the real thing. Just use one that sounds good on its own terms or try a different popular one every now and then.

If you're interested in authenticity, which you should be, you should acquire a real SC-55 module or the digital Sound Canvas VA (I'm not sure if the latter is the cheaper option).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I don’t recall if any of the doom engines allowed underwater swimming or flying. That is the one thing I really enjoyed about Duke Nukem 3D. Hell, now I’m not sure about Blood or Rise of the Triad. Strife often gets talked about little.

And there’s the whole Apogee Blakestone games and capstone software games like Corridor 7 and Witchaven series. Maybe there are a few others like Shatner’s Tekwars. Have there been attempts to convert these into the brutal engine? Is there reason to bother? I don’t recall them holding my interest too long esp the Frustrating Tekwars.

Hmmm…. Brutal Duke.
I was going to say it would surprise me if Doom didn't support swimming in some way since the Wolfenstein engine did with Shadowcaster, but then I remembered that GZDoom can, in fact support that:

Makes me wonder if there's a mod for Hexen that restores that old fog to it. Probably too little effort for too little reward since anyone interested in an authentic experience is going to play it in DOSbox or some other emulator anyway.

BuildGDX should run all Build games except I think Liquidator and Legend of the Seven Paladins.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I wouldn't bother too much with trying to establish that since no custom soundfonts can replicate the real thing. Just use one that sounds good on its own terms or try a different popular one every now and then.

If you're interested in authenticity, which you should be, you should acquire a real SC-55 module or the digital Sound Canvas VA (I'm not sure if the latter is the cheaper option).
I'm using Florestan_Basic_GM_GS right now. Still get the totally jarring random note that's way too loud (or too soft) but it's serviceable for the time being. I'm using foobar2000 with the BASSMIDI plugin to just listen to MIDIs like Doom and Heretic and maybe Vangelis on their own. Wish I could figure out how to use FluidSynth with Foobar2000 under Windows since it's more modern and supports more features, I heard. My brother has all those old hardware modules and a few custom wavetable units he built. He was heavily into .mod files. He even fancied himself a talented composer/sequencer of mods and use to include a free cassette of his music with the 386-based handheld computers he designed and sold and made several million dollars with, which tbh I thought was a little sad. He called his one man "band" Dr. Smith and the Bubble Headed Boobies.

schru

Arcane

I'm using Florestan_Basic_GM_GS right now. Still get the totally jarring random note that's way too loud (or too soft) but it's serviceable for the time being. I'm using foobar2000 with the BASSMIDI plugin to just listen to MIDIs like Doom and Heretic and maybe Vangelis on their own.
If you're interested in recordings on the right hardware, I have sets in my collection for some of the popular titles and can share them, but of course they can't be looped seamlessly.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I'm using Florestan_Basic_GM_GS right now. Still get the totally jarring random note that's way too loud (or too soft) but it's serviceable for the time being. I'm using foobar2000 with the BASSMIDI plugin to just listen to MIDIs like Doom and Heretic and maybe Vangelis on their own.
If you're interested in recordings on the right hardware, I have sets in my collection for some of the popular titles and can share them, but of course they can't be looped seamlessly.
Sure, bro. I see a lot of these on YT but it would be nice to add them to my collection locally. I'm an authentic kind of guy and these classic tracks on original hardware are always welcome.

schru

Arcane

Sure, bro. I see a lot of these on YT but it would be nice to add them to my collection locally. I'm an authentic kind of guy and these classic tracks on original hardware are always welcome.
Well, I have a lot more from the post-MIDI period, but here's most of what I have as far as MIDI recordings go. I included some CD sound tracks which were parts of the same releases or were closely associated enough (and in case of Duke Nukem I accidentally included Total Meltdown, the PlayStation port):

https://mega.nz/folder/OYk0FCiI#NGSyH3EOHBUCbgOur37y2w

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Well, I have a lot more from the post-MIDI period, but here's most of what I have as far as MIDI recordings go. I included some CD sound tracks which were parts of the same releases or were closely associated enough (and in case of Duke Nukem I accidentally included Total Meltdown, the PlayStation port):

Good stuff in that archive. Bought a pair of JBL 2.4GHz headphones (model 610) last week and I've been breaking them in with heavy 70s techno-pop nightly (ie Kraftwerk) but I'm also listening to your collection. The CD soundtrack to System Shock feels like true cyberpunk, more so than the soundtrack to Cyberpunk 2077. In other news, I found an old upload of the official Roland Sound Canvas from 2000 (v3.2) on IA. Have no idea if it will even work with Windows 10 (it's asking me to reboot but I'm lazy and gonna wait). But thanks for that collection.

schru

Arcane

Good stuff in that archive. Bought a pair of JBL 2.4GHz headphones (model 610) last week and I've been breaking them in with heavy 70s techno-pop nightly (ie Kraftwerk) but I'm also listening to your collection. The CD soundtrack to System Shock feels like true cyberpunk, more so than the soundtrack to Cyberpunk 2077. In other news, I found an old upload of the official Roland Sound Canvas from 2000 (v3.2) on IA. Have no idea if it will even work with Windows 10 (it's asking me to reboot but I'm lazy and gonna wait). But thanks for that collection.
I might have more interesting things to add later, but I still need to arrange some of my collection better.

Do you mean the Virtual Sound Canvas (VSC)? It was better than Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, the MIDI synthesizer in Windows, which is also based on the SC-55, but its quality is still not on par with the original modules. Sound Canvas VA, the more recent virtual synthesizer from Roland, is much better, though its reproduction of SC-55 is still not exact, mainly because it uses SC-8820 as a basis, which does include a map for SC-55, but the drum kits are from the later models. It sounds very good, just a bit too smooth.

Here's a comparison of ‘At Doom's Gate’ renditions on SC-55, SC VA, and VSC:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I might have more interesting things to add later, but I still need to arrange some of my collection better.

Do you mean the Virtual Sound Canvas (VSC)? It was better than Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, the MIDI synthesizer in Windows, which is also based on the SC-55, but its quality is still not on par with the original modules. Sound Canvas VA, the more recent virtual synthesizer from Roland, is much better, though its reproduction of SC-55 is still not exact, mainly because it uses SC-8820 as a basis, which does include a map for SC-55, but the drum kits are from the later models. It sounds very good, just a bit too smooth.
So many flavors of the Roland units! I'm so confuuuused! *grabs head in hands* Alas, whatever it was I downloaded from IA didn't work upon reboot. Serves me right for trying to pirate.

schru

Arcane

So many flavors of the Roland units! I'm so confuuuused! *grabs head in hands* Alas, whatever it was I downloaded from IA didn't work upon reboot. Serves me right for trying to pirate.
There's minor variation in the samples or the way they're rendered even among the SC-55-derived hardware, but basically there were three major versions, as far as more popular game music is concerned:

Roland SCC-1: an ISA card intended more for the general consumer, but in its basic specification equivalent to the main SC-55 module, and upon revision it also matched SC-55mkII, save for the bit depth of the output. If I recall correctly, Robert Prince composed the music for the first Doom using it.

Roland SC-55: the original fully-fledged module with a display screen, intended more for professional use, I'd imagine.

Roland SC-55mkII: an upgrade to the main module with a higher number of tones, more voices, and a higher bit depth.

SC-55 and SC-55mkII were the basis from which all the other variants were derived, so renditions made using them can be taken as a standard, even if a specific composer didn't have access to them. For example Lee Jackson composed his tracks for Duke Nukem 3D on Roland RAP-10, which has a decreased number of tones and the difference is audible, but there's no point in concerning oneself with it because SC-55 simply renders the tracks better. On top of that, about half the tracks in the game were composed by Robert Prince, who in turn was working on SC-55 by that time.

Games like Final Doom also had a mixture of tracks from the first and second Doom, and then much more amateur compositions in TNT: Evilution, which in part were converted to MIDI from MOD tracks, because its developers didn't even have access to professional synthesizers. In the end, then, it's best to acquire SC-55mkII if one wants authentic renditions, since that was the defining standard for that period. Some notes in some earlier games may sound better on the first version of SC-55, but trying to find out which composers used what modules for specific games would be quite tiresome and a good way to discourage oneself from pursuing this at all. There's apparently even a difference if one uses analogue cables instead of a more modern digital set-up to connect the module.

Nevertheless, there were also games the music of which was composed on other companies cards or synthesizers, such as Heretic, where it seems like Sound Blaster AWE32 was used. This is why I have poorly recorded tracks download from YouTube for it in my collection. Rincewind might be able to provide us with proper recordings in the future.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think my brother had the Roland SCC-1 ISA card in his computer and would playback MIDI/MOD files he collected or sometimes composed when I visited for an afternoon once. He had this huge 15" speaker setup in his third floor workroom that used to be a doctor's office many years before. It was so loud and powerful in that fairly small space. I remember him playing stuff from The Terminator on that card, I think, and then Bobby Prince's Doom soundtrack started playing, and he commented that he thought Doom was a great game (though he wasn't really into the FPS genre, aside from Doom and Duke 3D, being more of a flight sim or space shooter nut ie Terminal Velocity). This was around the mid/late 90s. He was so hardcore about this stuff and showed me his "masterpiece" that he coded which was an MS-DOS Mod file player with all the bells and whistles (ie LED VU Meters). I wonder if he ever released it as shareware (the fad at the time), freeware or sold it.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Update: found the "secret sauce" path after installing Roland Sound Canvas VA and now I've got official SC-55 emulation in my midi player. If no one knows what I'm talking about, well then- EQUIP THE RING! Heh.

schru

Arcane
Update: found the "secret sauce" path after installing Roland Sound Canvas VA and now I've got official SC-55 emulation in my midi player. If no one knows what I'm talking about, well then- EQUIP THE RING! Heh.
Just in case, note that you need to change the Map Mode to SC-55 in Option, System. It seems like the best way of running it is in SAVIHost and with loopMIDI, but you probably already know it (if not, check Phil's Computer Lab video on YouTube). Then, in order not to have to change the map each time you launch it, you can use the PlugIn, Save Bank As... function to create a configuration file, but do it only with a freshly launched instance with just a map change, in order to prevent any other modifications being carried over from a game or a track.

Remember also always to check the set-up programs of DOS games, as they often had special settings for different types of MIDI devices. Sound Canvas, SC-55, or SCC-1 is preferable, but some games only supported General MIDI (GM). Note that there were also older Roland devices like MT-32, so if the label is something vague like ‘Roland device’, it can be misleading.

Finally, some games have tracks that create problems for each other, because when instruments are modified or even a part has a certain instrument set, these may not be reset between tracks, which results in wrong instruments being used in subsequent tracks. This is especially noticeable in Duke Nukem 3D with certain tracks. The solution is either to launch the game again once you reach a level with a weird-sounding track or to reset the SC VA while it's running and reload the map.

As for the SC-88 and SC-88 Pro maps, it seems that scant few games in the West used those synthesizers, as they were rather expensive and didn't have expansion-cards or daughter boards based on them, while games would soon switch over to CD music. The full version of ‘Grabbag’ included on the Duke Nukem: Atomic Edition's disc was composed using SC-88, as was all of Shadow Warrior's music, but apart from a few shareware-only tracks in the latter, they were all mastered as CD tracks.

Those synthesizers did see some use for MIDI in Japan, though, one example being Touhou fuumaroku, some extra arrangements of tracks from the other PC-98 instalments, and Touhou Koumakyou, but ZUN didn't like them and replaced them with Roland Edirol SD-90 for mastered CD tracks even as he was working on that last title, and he's been using it ever since.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just in case, note that you need to change the Map Mode to SC-55 in Option, System. It seems like the best way of running it is in SAVIHost and with loopMIDI, but you probably already know it (if not, check Phil's Computer Lab video on YouTube). Then, in order not to have to change the map each time you launch it, you can use the PlugIn, Save Bank As... function to create a configuration file, but do it only with a freshly launched instance with just a map change, in order to prevent any other modifications being carried over from a game or a track.

Remember also always to check the set-up programs of DOS games, as they often had special settings for different types of MIDI devices. Sound Canvas, SC-55, or SCC-1 is preferable, but some games only supported General MIDI (GM). Note that there were also older Roland devices like MT-32, so if the label is something vague like ‘Roland device’, it can be misleading.

Finally, some games have tracks that create problems for each other, because when instruments are modified or even a part has a certain instrument set, these may not be reset between tracks, which results in wrong instruments being used in subsequent tracks. This is especially noticeable in Duke Nukem 3D with certain tracks. The solution is either to launch the game again once you reach a level with a weird-sounding track or to reset the SC VA while it's running and reload the map.

As for the SC-88 and SC-88 Pro maps, it seems that scant few games in the West used those synthesizers, as they were rather expensive and didn't have expansion-cards or daughter boards based on them, while games would soon switch over to CD music. The full version of ‘Grabbag’ included on the Duke Nukem: Atomic Edition's disc was composed using SC-88, as was all of Shadow Warrior's music, but apart from a few shareware-only tracks in the latter, they were all mastered as CD tracks.

Those synthesizers did see some use for MIDI in Japan, though, one example being Touhou fuumaroku, some extra arrangements of tracks from the other PC-98 instalments, and Touhou Koumakyou, but ZUN didn't like them and replaced them with Roland Edirol SD-90 for mastered CD tracks even as he was working on that last title, and he's been using it ever since.
I enjoy talking about this stuff but we should probably take it to your old topic on Roland Sound Canvas VA or Rincewind's thread on the great Grand MS-DOS gaming General MIDI showdown lest we make others coming here for news of new or interesting Doom-engine wads a bit disgruntled, but I will say that the official soft-synths of Roland Sound Canvas VA and Yamaha YX-G50 are the definitive way, imo, of playing and enjoying these old game soundtracks. I use Foobar2000
fm2kdUa.jpg
to just listen to MIDI files for pleasure now that they sound the way they're suppose to sound. You can even find a free trial version of Roland Sound Canvas VA and configure it with Foobar2000 and have it override the trial-restrictions (hint: the secret is in the sauce). No more soundfonts for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom