Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also played some Ashes 2063 and seems like top tier mod for any game I´ve played. I didn´t enjoy the huge empty segments with the bike though.

I don't think anyone does. They improved the bike segments somewhat in Ashes Afterglow though I feel.

axx

Savant
Romero will apparently do a 2nd stream of My House (according to his recent reddit AMA). He didn't get too far in his 1st stream, but I've noticed he was quick to identify various minor clues and sound mechanics from the wad, which otherwise completely eluded me. The guy has a good eye (or ear) for this stuff. Can't wait for him to finish Sigil II and do a Quake map as he sort of promised.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I finally managed to finish Struggle Antaresian Legacy, a 32 map megawad full of custom assets including enemies and weapons. The custom arsenal and monsters are this wads biggest strength, which is quite a feat as the levels themselves are quite enjoyable. All of the seven weapons have been either replaced or modified to some degree. I won't spoil the arsenal but it is quite the feat to make a pistol replacement as effective as the one in Struggle. Where this wad does not do so great is the level design. While no level was truly awful there were too many plagued with massive arenas full of constantly teleporting monsters. This is especially egregious in the later five maps as it seems they are just one or two arenas that eventually fill out to five hundred enemies over the course of several minutes. Overall this wad is fun but not if you hate slaughter levels.

Sjukob

Arcane
What? I thought that level and encounter design in struggle were very much on point, the soundtrack was well selected too. The arsenal was mostly just reskinned, beefed up vanilla stuff.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
The issue I have is less in their quality, which is great, but in how repetitive the levels become. I played Struggle over several months with the last ten being all this month so recency bias might be a factor here.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
the best TC/mod of all times honestly
Most overrated mod maybe. Ashes wants to be a Build Engine game but with modern sensibilities injected and you get things like the absolute dogshit driving sections and with many of the previous engine limitations removed by sourceports the levels are large sloppily thrown together things that make even the worst old school Doom levels seem like works of genius. If anything it's emblematic of what's wrong with Doom modding and how little players seem to understand about what made Doom a great game that has stood the test of time. Ashes is Rage with a Build veneer.
Has anyone played the My House wad? I've been hearing a lot about it lately.
It's trash. If you're the sort of person that thinks taking the horror cliche of "you were dead the whole time" and adding in "you were a dead faggot the whole time" is creative and interesting it was made for you. The level design itself is unremarkable and doesn't make for good levels. The reason people online is raving about it is because it is tapping into that meme trend of "the backrooms", zoomers being deadly afraid of moving out, malls, swimming halls or something along those lines. Another title for the wad could be "Did you hear about House of Leaves?".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Most overrated mod maybe. Ashes wants to be a Build Engine game but with modern sensibilities injected and you get things like the absolute dogshit driving sections and with many of the previous engine limitations removed by sourceports the levels are large sloppily thrown together things that make even the worst old school Doom levels seem like works of genius. If anything it's emblematic of what's wrong with Doom modding and how little players seem to understand about what made Doom a great game that has stood the test of time. Ashes is Rage with a Build veneer.
Has anyone played the My House wad? I've been hearing a lot about it lately.
It's trash. If you're the sort of person that thinks taking the horror cliche of "you were dead the whole time" and adding in "you were a dead faggot the whole time" is creative and interesting it was made for you. The level design itself is unremarkable and doesn't make for good levels. The reason people online is raving about it is because it is tapping into that meme trend of "the backrooms", zoomers being deadly afraid of moving out, malls, swimming halls or something along those lines. Another title for the wad could be "Did you hear about House of Leaves?".
Yeah, I never liked story based wads. Seriously...
Story. In DOOM? Haha! Nope.
Just massacre demons and be an uber badass who makes humanity proud.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BEHEAD THOSE THAT INSULT ASHES!!!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some of the most fun I've had has been playing Ashes on survival mode and scrounging for every tiny bit of ammo, health and armour.

Feels almost survival horror-esque on that mode with how limited your resources are.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I won't belabor it with more than a passing mention in this topic because it's only peripherally related to Doom wads & mods, but did anyone check out the recent topic on the Doomworld forum about the guy who made the classic WolfenDOOM wads (not Blade of Agony)? Man, that dude is a great ball of tragedy :?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Links to the drama please?

I can't be arsed to go back on Doomworld's forums and find the link but the long and the short of it was that the guy was locked up for a year in jail last year, charged with his mother's murder because they found she had brain damage and assumed he regularly bonked her on the head in elderly abuse but it turns out she had a series of strokes that caused the damage meanwhile he languished in prison until an autopsy could be performed which vindicated him. When he got out of the slammer, he vowed he'd sue the cop and social worker responsible for his false imprisonment for 100 million dollars. He couldn't find a single lawyer to take on his case and he ended up homeless on the streets until he got 10K in a GoFundMe from kind Doomworld forum users. Now the money's run out and he needs more to stay in the hotel he lives in or else something terrible might happen because he's at the end of his rope. Yes, my friend. Drama indeed. Those interested can find the topic on DW forum.

lightbane

Arcane
That sucks. I was expecting more typical modder kind of drama, rather than RL one (extra points if someone hates him and sabotaged him despite his sob story, as it tends to happen with modders).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Yeah, that's not typical haha modder drama that's tragic wtf drama.

Gostak

Educated
"FPS roguelike". Not everyone distinguishes between roguelite and roguelike, that's no news.
Heck not everyone agrees on the Berlin definition anyway. If that video does not show he does not take himself too seriously then I do not know what would.
Give it a try.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Just completed the faithless trilogy for heretic. Really well designed hub based megawad with reasonable puzzles which don't raise the blood pressure too much.

Adds three new balanced weapons that complement the existing Heretic arsenal well.

Took me about 14 hours to complete all three episodes (each one has a different hub), so seemed a pretty decent length.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/117375-faithless-trilogy-beta-1a-released/

HansDampf

Arcane
Mortals being proud of beating Sunlust's map 30 without saves.
Kinetic: "Hold my beverage!"

That's all 32 maps beaten in under 3 hours with 100% kills and secrets, and 0 deaths.
:kingcomrade:

He also did a commentary stream here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom