Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I re
Anyone tried this? Looks p impressive even if more than a bit on the kitchen sink side.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/divine-frequency/downloads/dfv0-7c

Aaaand another one goes commercial.

He's got awful lot of work on his hand, starting from the fact that the mod used crapload of graphics borrowed from other games and mods.

I recognized the axe-wielding zombies from Blood but put a bag over his head and remove the mournful wail and he's a whole new monster :-D

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Something for the fans of Powerslave's PC version.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=78218

Just completed this one, it's seven levels long.
Don't consider myself to be an autority when it come to doom wads/conversions but even i could tell that it felt somewhat amateurish during certain parts.
gzdoomtCk1BnFx6T.png

Still, it delievers the Indiana Jones/Tomb Rider/Mummy x Doom experience that it promised.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Impie does it again! A sequel of an obscure FPS no-one cares about anymore, for GZDoom!

Also tried this one recently. Never played the orginal Killing Time but watched the Ross Scott video.
gzdoom5IQSRL8rDi.png

gzdoom2FzLDJTl0w.png

Environments and enemy animations look fun but i am not fond of the gameplay in comparison. Enemies are too spongy and you're often fighting a huge number of them. It's was also not a fun experience to fight a dozen of spongy tommygunners who are shooting you from a far away disctance.
gzdoomG59WouRQuG.png

Combat feels like a slog but it might be because i picked the highest difficulty.
Also, every shotgun that requires two shots to take down the most common mook enemy is a shit shotgun. Imho.
Currently stuck at the "where the fuck am i supposed to go?" stage. Explored what i could of the town, hospital, household(even found the way to secret basement) and everything near the temple entrance. Definitely missed something but no idea what.
Edit: Nevermind. I missed the sewers right at the beginning. Not stuck anymore for now.

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Something for the fans of Powerslave's PC version.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=78218

Just completed this one, it's seven levels long.
Don't consider myself to be an autority when it come to doom wads/conversions but even i could tell that it felt somewhat amateurish during certain parts.
gzdoomtCk1BnFx6T.png

Still, it delievers the Indiana Jones/Tomb Rider/Mummy x Doom experience that it promised.

Damn, that looks pretty cool!

Yep, it is really cool that someone made this and the sprites of the enemies look awesome.
As someone who loves the whole 'pulp adventurer stories set in the 30s, 40s, 50s" thanks to movies like the first three Indiana Jones ones, the Rocketeer, and RTCW and Wolf 2009 this feels like something made for me. I hope the developer will make more levels.

Found BtSX ep 1/2 to be kind of mid. Great looking and nice exploration-style design but a bit too easy for me on standard UV, felt barely harder than vanilla Doom 2. Still interested in it whenever it gets finished though.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Found BtSX ep 1/2 to be kind of mid. Great looking and nice exploration-style design but a bit too easy for me on standard UV, felt barely harder than vanilla Doom 2. Still interested in it whenever it gets finished though.
Arguably one of the most visually stunning wads, up there with Ancient Aliens and Eviternity (for me at least).

Arguably one of the most visually stunning wads, up there with Ancient Aliens and Eviternity (for me at least).
Hard for me to say honestly, I feel like a LOT of wads have "that one level" which you remember vividly when you think of it, even though a lot of other maps are fairly unremarkable visually and have pretty utilitarian textures. For BtSX the standout is obviously "Beneath a Festering Moon". But I recall a decent number of levels in both episodes that were kind of bare bones.

I think my favorite looking wad is Sunlust, but a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I also find it one of the most consistently fun wads to play on almost every level and so I remember all the maps well enough that I could draw them by hand. Eviternity and Ancient Aliens are definitely up there though, I've only played each once but I don't recall a single boring looking map in them, or maps that felt too repetitive with how the looked.

Sjukob

Arcane
Another year, another godawful page with shit formatting, and verbose descriptions that do not tell you much, if anything, with the odd gems here and there. Devs that were unpersoned for having the wrong political opinion are still nowhere to be seen nor even mentioned, as expected.
What are the other worthwhile wads that were released in 2023, aside from the mentioned Zeppelin Armada? I haven't played in a while, so I'm kind of clueless about this year releases.

arepo

Novice
No mention of Zeppelin Armada.

The Cacoward creator has openly admitted that they are excluding DBPs from the award because of the lax moderation policy on the doomer boards. In other words, the quality of gameplay is at best a second-tier factor in the assesment. And even without woke nonsense, the Cacowards have always felt a bit strange to me. Some of the winners are truly great, of course, but overall the selection looks like the jurors are playing favorites with their forum buddies.

lightbane

Arcane

The Cacoward creator has openly admitted that they are excluding DBPs from the award because of the lax moderation policy on the doomer boards. In other words, the quality of gameplay is at best a second-tier factor in the assesment. And even without woke nonsense, the Cacowards have always felt a bit strange to me. Some of the winners are truly great, of course, but overall the selection looks like the jurors are playing favorites with their forum buddies.
That's because they are doing just that. They kicked out Impie because one statement he made in one of his mods vaguely implied that blacks were potential criminals. It was an excuse to kick him out and unperson him.
What annoys me the most is that these cacoaward pages are made SO lazily and haven't changed in years.

HansDampf

Arcane

Well, at least he's honest about it. Just sucks for the average Doom enjoyer (me) who just wants to find more good wads to play and doesn't care about forum drama. Well done. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom