Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good explorefag games

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
RPG Codex GotY 2002 Morrowind established a paradigm for 3D Open World RPG exploration that was, oddly enough, copied by other developers for non-RPGs before some CRPG imitations arrived.

oDJOyhY.jpg
l2ZhNZP.jpg

LvfoLrE.jpg
QOKmBhg.jpg

The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt (2015) is one of the CRPGs that emulated Morrowind's Open World design, though not as closely as some others.

WFBpSa8.jpg
8RV8NNN.jpg

GqbE1pi.jpg
DpobuQV.jpg

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
starcom nexus

and his next game, currently in ea

I played through Starcom Nexus a year or two ago, amazing game. There are a lot of space exploration games in this style, but Starcom Nexus is the best because most of its content is hand-made and there's actual quests to follow.

Already got the sequel but gonna wait until it's out of EA to play it.

If you like space exploration Everspace 2 is really good. As a game it become boring quickly (Farcry in space, with random loot...) but space p0rn and exploring map never gets old. Lots of environmental puzzles as well.

Atrachasis

Augur
The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt (2015) is one of the CRPGs that emulated Morrowind's Open World design, though not as closely as some others.

If we equate exploration with hiking, then both fit the bill; both Morrowind and TW3 have some lovely spots to discover on the overland map. However, the actual points of "interest" in TW3 do feel rather lackluster to me, so exploration is rarely rewarded. Perhaps it's just less skillful at environmental storytelling than Morrowind. Plus, TW3 drops you off in what is probably the most drab and dreary region of the game world in the beginning.

However, if TW3 counts as an explorationfag game, then Two Worlds deserves a mention as well. Same story there - towns and dungeons are boring, but the overworld is nicely crafted. Pleasant to explore, but not rewarding.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II had fantastic levels that rewarded exploration. In fact, finding secrets earned you extra end mission points to put into abilities. That is a game begging for a proper remaster.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II had fantastic levels that rewarded exploration. In fact, finding secrets earned you extra end mission points to put into abilities. That is a game begging for a proper remaster.
Yeah its levels were fantastic , even Jedi Knight II contiuned this to an extend.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hear, hear!
One of my favorite games.
Great level design with huge maps and a lot of verticality. Also a lot of secret areas (which you are encouraged to find, as you get a bonus force point for finding all of them in a given level).

I don't know about the remaster part, as I am very cautious and skeptical of remasters in general, but I do believe there is a HD mod or something. Maybe you should try that out.

Hear, hear!
One of my favorite games.
Great level design with huge maps and a lot of verticality. Also a lot of secret areas (which you are encouraged to find, as you get a bonus force point for finding all of them in a given level).

I don't know about the remaster part, as I am very cautious and skeptical of remasters in general, but I do believe there is a HD mod or something. Maybe you should try that out.
Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II fan remaster in UE

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indeed, Dark Forces II is one of my favorite FPS games of all time due to the level design.

:Flash:

Arcane
Antepenult
Though, with you being a regular commenter on the crpgaddict, I assume you are aware of the game.
I never played it but from reading his account of the game it has a more unique and rewarding exploration experience than most games of that era.

Piranha Bytes are still the kings of exploration, imo. I think ELEX may even be better than the Gothics in this regard. I like Morrowind's exploration, but despite featuring a well-organized map with lots of variety that feels much larger than it really is; despite the more interesting setting by a long shot, PB have a special refinement when it comes to the arrangement of natural spaces, photographic vistas and depth(including seamless caves and dungeons, an important feature that's not possible in Morrowind's engine). Interior spaces such as houses, shops, guilds and faction residences are best in Morrowind, though, probably the best of any game.

I don't have much to add to this thread. If you don't hate killing zombies and survival-loot gameplay, Project Zomboid features a very large portion of Kentucky in true scale. You have forests, farms, lakes, but also some urban locations, including a huge city. The driving feels good and it can be quite pleasurable to explore locations with a vehicle. CDDA is great as well, despite the procedural generation. People are unfairly biased against it, not taking into account the different kinds of gameplay.

There's lots more exploration heavy games outside RPGs. Open-world racing games like Test Drive Unlimited, GTA(1-3, Vice City, San Andreas + Stories), Carmageddon 1-2, flight simulators, etc. Most games I like involve exploration in some way, it's my favorite thing to do in a game.

His Dudeness

Augur
Witcher 3 is not an explorer's game.

You just follow the breadcrums on the floor and everything is flagged.

Gothic 2 remains the best game for exploration. Just lobotomize yourself every couple of years to experience it fresh again.

Losus4

Novice
Morrowind with Tamriel Rebuilt is the definitive answer to this question. There is so much content that you stop measuring playtime in hours in start measuring it in decades. It would be impossible for any one person to explore it all.

Wasteland

Educated
That's easy. Anything by Bioware ... Oh, wait, nvm, I thought you meant games where you explore being a fag.

Other posters have made great suggestions already; I second several of them, notably KCD, Deus Ex, and Gothic. As much as I hate to say it, Stellaris is also a pretty good explorer game, at least at the beginning. It's a different sort of exploration than you'd find in an RPG, of course, more of a curated experience designed to immerse you in the role of a newbie space-faring civilization, with scripted events tracking your progress, or creating set backs, and the randomized distribution of AI empires providing wrinkles. I've come to despise the game, the publisher, and everything both of them stand for, but credit where it's due: the flavor of exploration is one thing Stellaris does well, until you've seen all the scripted events and learned the deceptively simple optimization loops, anyway.

I'll also give credit to Daggerfall, which despite its proc-genned sameyness manages to provide an excellent sense of adventure and possibility, along with ludicrously large dungeons in which you can get lost. Having a blast with Daggerfall Unity, these last few weeks. Even with minimal extra modding, the game holds up amazingly well. Haven't tried Tamriel Rebuilt yet, but it's next on my list. Also looking forward to playing Kenshi at some point.

Shaki

Arbiter
Vagrus is basically an explorefag's wet dream.

Also, outside of the RPG genre, the best exploration game I've played was Subnautica. Aside from devs beings cucks and retarded boring basebuilding, I probably liked it more than any other "mainstream" game in the last decade or more. Atmosphere and exploration was pure pleasure.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If we're going back as far as Starflight, how about Seven Cities of Gold? It actually generates pretty good maps where the rivers flow down from the mountains into the sea. So you're not just stumbling around blindly. You can make educated guesses about where you might find a river or Indians.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Man, starflight dug up some memories. New Horizons is some good shit too, and quite unique. Definitely eats a ton of time just moving from place to place though, and the mechanics are dead simple so I'm not sure I can call it a good game. Still, it sure felt satisfying exploring the map in that game, finding new cities with new equipment or trade goods, discovering world wonders, checking in with the cartographers guild to get rewarded directly for that, finding bigger shipyards with new classes of ships or special navigation equipment to install, officers to recruit... I'd kill for a proper modern sequel to that.

Edit: Anyone mention Sunless Sea or it's sequel yet? Those were pretty interesting as well, though again light on mechanics.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss and its sequel The Labyrinth of Worlds took the real-time blobber format and put it into 3D environments with free movement.

9812732-ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss-dos-ahh-reading-plaques-in-a.png
6920047-ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss-dos-warren-spectre-hehehe.png

3753207-ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss-dos-levitation-dude-look-at-.png
9812086-ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss-dos-ahh-civilization-civiliz.png

ySbsXrR.png
31T4O01.png

AeYgp3b.png
nKRK1CG.png

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall expanded on this with procedural generation to develop vast, sprawling dungeons, as well as settlements ranging from hamlets to large cities.

qZTGdFF.jpg
cLT2QzS.jpg

qRJK4fj.jpg
oeGMczm.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

If we equate exploration with hiking, then both fit the bill; both Morrowind and TW3 have some lovely spots to discover on the overland map. However, the actual points of "interest" in TW3 do feel rather lackluster to me, so exploration is rarely rewarded. Perhaps it's just less skillful at environmental storytelling than Morrowind. Plus, TW3 drops you off in what is probably the most drab and dreary region of the game world in the beginning.

However, if TW3 counts as an explorationfag game, then Two Worlds deserves a mention as well. Same story there - towns and dungeons are boring, but the overworld is nicely crafted. Pleasant to explore, but not rewarding.

TW3 is a SP MMO

Morrowind has freeform exploration, which is totally different, and which this thread is about

Actual similar explorefag games: Stalker, ELEX, Kenshi, Outcast, Breath of the Wild, Amalur, Subnautica, Gothic II, Brigand

but none combines it with hand placed statics, environmental storytelling, architecture, biomes, like Morrowind

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kenshi looks *very* interesting; I've started developing a massive hard-on for it.

Zed Duke of Banville I've read most of your comments about it in that other Kenshi thread, very informative. I'm starting to appreciate emergent gameplay more these days and games where the focus in on various interacting systems and less on scripted content. In a typical RPG or adventure game, the only thing that resembles emergent gameplay is the combat. Otherwise, it's pretty much on rails (even if it's not a straight line, it's still just a few predetermined paths/branches to follow).

Now that I think about it, the things I most enjoyed in Gothic and ELEX were the exploration and these emergent gameplay moments that had little to do with the main quest. Or maybe I was trying to complete a side-quest, but the *journey* to the location of the side-quest was usually where I got of my enjoyment from. I'm pretty sure the Piranha Bytes guys do this intentionally and use side quests as an "excuse" to send you all over the map and discover stuff for yourself.

I still vividly remember some of these emergent gameplay moments, and frankly, not so much of the main plot...

So yeah, looking forward to playing Kenshi *eventually*. It's just I don't dare to touch it until I finish my current TODO list of various non-gaming things I want to do, otherwise I'm afraid I'll fall into a gaming black hole for the next 6 months... :) Like getting the next Gridmonger release out, for instance :)

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
We have a lot of threads that are de facto combatfag, or storyfag, so I think explorefag games are an important topic to have some focus on. Interesting and cool enough that it deserves some big essays and effort posts, to get some of that famous Codex analysis. At the moment, I think the thread is getting lost in the big picture, because we are suggesting everything from Metroidvania to turn-based dungeon crawler (which is correct, but also non-specific). Perhaps we should identify some specific types of game, broken into specific catagories or genres?

1). Grid Dungeon Crawlers:

tgSndQc.png
ndISS4G.jpeg
TlWG3Tb.jpeg
ThYa5Fi.jpeg

I would suggest that grid-dungeon-crawlers are a big subset. Out of the two progenitors of modern RPGs, Ultima and Wizardry, Wizardry is the origin of this entire lineage. I came across a relatively mainstream video the other day arguing for the colossal influence of Wizardry, for a reminder what everything from Dark Souls to Megami Tensei to Pokemon to Doom owes to Wizardry:

First person really pulls you inside the world. Also there is that sort of lonely isolated atmosphere of being left to overcome challenges without much of a narrative, almost like some sort of surreal medieval trial. The sort of situation where you imagine a higher power places you into a labyrinth to test you (miles of corridors are fantastical or surreal in themselves, yet feel somehow realistic and appropriate). I remember there was a show on British children's TV, called Knightmare, where contestants were inserted into a virtual dungeon, via old fashion animation. There was this old school feeling of some surreal wizard setting challenges and testing your courage through physical challenges and riddles:

AmJP5HE.png

VNqcTsN.png

The plain walls, the unknown passages leading away, all conjure this feeling of a place full of hidden depths. Tzeentch himself might craft something similar. My first experience with a dungeon crawler was probably a game from 1994, since I'm not really old enough to have been around when stuff like Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was developed. I came across an early Epic Games title called Ancients II: Approaching Evil, which wasn't very good, but even so pulled me in. Additionally, people who owned Microsoft Encarta 95 back then might remember that there was a kind of primative dungeon crawler built in called Mindmaze, where you progressed by answering encyclopedia questions.

oMpWI4V.jpeg

7YW6mO6.png

So that's the appeal, as best as I can articulate it. You really want to see every room and fill out everything. It's the explorefag impulse at almost it's purest. Lonely isolated exploration of something that seems to perhaps have symbolic unplumbed psychological depths, a surreal series of mysterious corridors. I wish more people played this type of game, so it had more games. I wish more were developed. I guess they must probably look primative from screenshots, to the majority of nomie gamers, but are actually really vicerally addictive when you play them (and when they are done right). There was a big post or two that contained a list of first-person dungeon crawlers, so I won't name every one.

X2EDqOV.png
OaTknUM.png
ualCz6z.png

The recent examples of the genre have come more from Japan, who still develop Wizardry series games, as well as copycats such as Stranger of Sword City, plus long running franchises like Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and the Etrian Odyssey series. In the West, real-time grid dungeon crawler Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 were fantastic, plus other exist such as Operencia, Vaporum, and of course Grimoire.

2). First Person / Third Person Free Roam Dungeon Crawlers:

Also in that same lineage, you have the free roaming RPGs, like Ultima Underworld, early Elder Scrolls, and King's Field. King's Field and Shadow Tower, by From Software, are particualrily atmospheric, as seen in this video of the un-localised Shadow Tower: Abyss:

Essentially, these are similar to the real-time combat grid dungeon crawlers, except they allow free look, making them somewhat closer to a first person shooter. In this lineage, you have stuff like Morrowind, Arx Fatalis (re-mastered in the Arx Libertatis mod), System Shock, plus since they came from the tradition of King's Field, you could probably place Souls-like games here too. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 and Elden Ring. Our hopes are pinned on Monomyth for a modern classic of this genre. I wish that game all the best.

3). Boomer First-Person Shooters:

As noted previously on the Codex, boomer shooters sometimes make better fantasy games than actual RPGs, capturing that sense of isolated exploration of a dungeon. I mean half of them are actually set in a dark fantasy hell world. Doom is about a demonic invasion of Earth and Mars through portals from hell. Heretic and Hexen are dark fantasy. Quake 1 is dark fantasy. For the sake of catagorisation, you can place things like Thief here.

9z6A.gif
9HYRgvq.gif
blood-fresh.gif
323DC8B38F4566309E6E5417AF5B02B0C3A44E10

In terms of exploration, I would say Doom 1, Doom 2, Quake 1, Blood, Heretic, Hexen, etc, all the classics, are actually great for their level design and dungeon crawling exploration. After all, just like more explicit adventure games, you are finding keys to open new areas, hidden doors, switches, obscure passages, etc. Star Wars: Dark Forces is an exceptional example. There are secret areas galore in Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight too.

4). Metroidvania

Some of the best games ever programmed by human hands. Perhaps testament to how good exploration feels as a mechanic. Fundamentally Super Metroid, or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or the Gameboy Advance Metroids and Castlevanias, are dungeon crawlers. You are after all entering different rooms and clearing them at leisure. Exploring a castle, and filling out a juicy glorious overworld map; something irresistable to an explorefag.

mrPS42g.png
nzywS3w.jpeg
Lfv7DzU.png

There are 3D Metroidvania games. Stuff like Jedi: Fallen Order. They also have big dynamic overworld maps, and abilities that open new areas through backtracking. Incidentally, for the love of god, play Metroid games blind. Many of them will hint where there might be an undiscovered route suffieciently enough through their map showing a false wall, or locked door, or whatever. The whole point is discovery, so to know where a secret is, or how to get it, completely eliminates most of the point in playing them. Relax and take your time.

5). Survival Horror Adventure Games:

Everything above probably fits into the Ur-Genre of adventure game, whether RPG or otherwise, they all consist of progressing through rooms, finding key items, unlocking new routes. Opening a room with a key, to find more key objects, to progress more, is the fundamental of the adventure game. Point-and-click adventure games can be explorefag. However early Resident Evil type games, perhaps Alone in the Dark before them too, are great examples of adventure games, and Survival Horror is more of a marketing label.

ggzn8lf.png
YMJiNNT.png
WancUK3.png
XWMgjPu.png

Actually Resident Evil 1 is so damn addictive because it is a relatively gentle explorefag game, the horror is secondary I would argue, more of a theme. There is no real time pressure, you can explore them at leisure and slowly expand the safe zone into more and more rooms. The famous key item puzzles, like slotting an old emblem into a desk, to open a hidden drawer are pure explorefag adventure game key item puzzles. The Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 0, also fit this paradigm. As does Dino Crisis 1. From Resident Evil 3 and Dino Crisis 2 onward, they started becoming more about action, with less intricate exploration. The Fatal Frame series and others are somewhat so, but less successfully, as the rooms are less interesting. You also have stuff like From Software developed Kuon, and lesser known titles like Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, Martian Gothic and Deep Fear.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I remember there was a show on British children's TV, called Knightmare, where contestants were inserted into a virtual dungeon, via old fashion animation. There was this old school feeling of some surreal wizard setting challenges and testing your courage through physical challenges and riddles:

AmJP5HE.png

VNqcTsN.png
Fuck me, I used to watch this every Friday. Parts of it scared the shit out me... it was highly atmospheric.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
On Kenshi - while it's an excellent game I dunno if I'd call it 'explorefag' per se. Good world, interesting and everything...but it's pretty barren and disconnected. I basically did play it as an explorefag....it's just pretty 'thin'. If you have the patience I guess it counts but for me it doesn't go into the same category as something like Might & Magic

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So that's the appeal, as best as I can articulate it. You really want to see every room and fill out everything. It's the explorefag impulse at almost it's purest. Lonely isolated exploration of something that seems to perhaps have symbolic unplumbed psychological depths, a surreal series of mysterious corridors. I wish more people played this type of game, so it had more games. I wish more were developed. I guess they must probably look primative from screenshots, to the majority of nomie gamers, but are actually really vicerally addictive when you play them (and when they are done right). There was a big post or two that contained a list of first-person dungeon crawlers, so I won't name every one.
Well, I love classic first-person dungeon crawlers, precisely because of the reasons you articulated. That the reason why I wrote Gridmonger (check my signature), I just *love* mapping these games, exploring them one square at a time.

I remember there was a show on British children's TV, called Knightmare, where contestants were inserted into a virtual dungeon, via old fashion animation. There was this old school feeling of some surreal wizard setting challenges and testing your courage through physical challenges and riddles:
There is a ZX Spectrum / C64 adaptation of Knightmare, by the way. I saw screenshots and a mini-review of it in some gaming magazine in the late 80s and found it quite fascinating as a kid. That wizard head that periodically appears and gives you various tips seemed like something super cool. Well, I'm yet to play it.

iYeVfpI.png

a7aLnv5.png

y08rKHO.png

Then there's the Amiga / Atari ST dungeon crawler too from 1991, also called Knightmare, which was another adaptation of the TV show:

https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/knightmare-mindscape

E5WsAd6.png

Another early (and somewhat dead) branch of the exploration-heavy action adventure genre are the Gargoyle Games adventures for the ZX Spectrum: Tir Na Nog, Dun Darach, and Marsport.

Linking a video here as the animation just has to be seen. I still find it very enjoyable to play and it looks marvellous with the parallax scrolling, varied scenery, and the clouds moving in the background. Especially if you take it into account they accomplished this on a 8-bit computer with 48K memory that had no special graphics co-processor, just the CPU to push around the pixels.

These articles are worth reading about the Gargoyle Games adventures:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tir-na-nog/

Still, the sheer size of the game world and sense of exploration it imparts is positively intoxicating. It’s very different from a typical ’90s LucasArts game, creating a tight-lipped, concealed world that refuses to give the player any easy answer. Mapping the area, experimenting with different items, and solving intricate riddles are enough to keep the best gamers busy for weeks.

This review of Dun Darach is also quite interesting:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gargoylegames/gargoyle2.htm

Although the streets in the game took up a minimal amount of space on the cassette, the game's myriad of new characters was much more taxing on storage. They're all fully animated "walking man" clones, programmed to move along a set circuit path the entire game. These people are all individually named and accomplish a variety of tasks: some trade quest items, many offer hints, and others steal important inventory items or money. Since the game eschews any sort of combat, thieves quickly become the only real enemy as integral quest or trade items can be quickly lost, forcing the player to maneuver all the way across town to grab another moleskin or gold bar.

There is a spiritual successor called Neadeital for the ZX Spectrum which is essentially the continuation of the same lineage, about 35+ years later (but by a different developer):

https://www.heavyspectrum.com/Neadeital.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom