Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Hobknobling

Learned
"Starfield is not bad, it is just mediocre"
"Starfield writer is misunderstood"
Let me guess, the next video will be "Starfield is not as bad as you think it is"
Why the fuck did this guy decide that this is the hill he wants to die on? Seems like another case of a decent YouTuber losing the plot.

It is fine to have these opinions, but this level of obsessing is just baffling compared to his previous output.

Ravielsk

Magister
Emil did nothing wrong

I have not watched the whole video but the guy strikes me as a certified retard. Emil is a free human being working at a privately owned company. Not a caged animal at some university or a science experiment. There is no reason why there would be a abundance of documentation about his design philosophy or work ethic. People latching onto the few scraps of what gets out is not a dunk, especially when Emil's output very much matches their "uncharitable" interpretations of him. Its not a argument but a mental standard born from the "source please" meme that reddit retards spawned.

In essence its like like insisting that the fire fighters cannot send a truck until at least 10 people report a fire is burning. He is not making a argument he is coping. Emil has been disliked many many years before 2016, Oblivion was the very start of that but back in 2006 nobody could pin a face and a name to all the fuckery. Emil simply over the years provided his name and face for the thing people already disliked and some shitty reddit posts or hack youtubers poorly(or not autistically enough?) formulating those exact sentiments changes nothing about that.

BTW I absolutely adore that the second top comment under the video is already dismissing his shit points.

"While I agree that the idea that there is NO documention is ludicrous (at the very least they have to put together a pitch and the initial design ideas), I think there is plenty of evidence that Bethesda is awful at keeping what they do have (internal wiki or otherwise) updated. There are SO many lore inconsistencies in their recent games that the only other answer is just laziness on the part of the writers when it comes to checking their own documentation, which I find hard to believe. It just goes beyond a lack of communication."

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not watching a 2 hour Bethesda defense video, but what is the issue here exactly? That the lead writer getting flak for Starfield?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is rich.

I have marked the part in the video. If it does not work, go to 2:13:42.

Basically: IT'S JUST A GAME BRO. And that is coming from a guy making a career out of making long-form videos on Youtube, criticizing bad games. What kind of drugs is he on?

Basically: IT'S JUST A GAME BRO. And that is coming from a guy making a career out of making long-form videos on Youtube, criticizing bad games. What kind of drugs is he on?
Shortly before then he accuses Patrician TV of legally defaming Emil. What a goober.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

Shortly before then he accuses Patrician TV of legally defaming Emil. What a goober.
There is also a plagiarism accusation, because of one line sounding similar or something like that. Think it was something like "You got what you deserve". I mean, half of Codex must be doing plagiarism, I have read that line so many times here.

Ravielsk

Magister

I am kind of shocked that anyone with the attention span to make a 2 hour video is even capable of making that point. As if the game given out for free and does not require at least a 600€ shitbox to play(make that a 2000€ PC if you are not a fan of upscaled 720p 30fps gameplay). People paid good money to play this "game" and I expect Bethesda will want them to spend more on DLC.

The whole mentality of "IT'S JUST A GAME BRO" stops being applicable once I have to pay for the game. Emil is not a kid that plays dirty in hide and seek, he is a adult selling a pricy piece of entertainment and when that piece sucks he quite literary deserves all the harassments(aka people calling him out on it, because that is apparently what harassment is these days) under the sun. IT'S JUST A GAME BRO, NOW GIVE ME 70 BUCKS TO PLAY IT.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Not watching a 2 hour Bethesda defense video, but what is the issue here exactly? That the lead writer getting flak for Starfield?
Not seen this specific video but I've seen Bethesda fans absolutely fucking hate this guy because he ignores old lore when it suits him and his new lore often contradicts it's self. The most infamous being "I'm not willing to discuss how a ghoul survives in a fridge in a game with super mutants in it" or some shit like that. Basically he doesn't give a fuck about the lore and Bethesda's internal systems are so broken you will have huge weekly lore changes and half of them won't even be updated. The only reason Fallout doesn't have "Radiation magic" is because they had already stripped the magic system out of the engine by the time the writers came up with the idea. Other wise Fallout would have witches using radiation to cast skyrim style spells. Which is basically what Starfield has with it's shouts/magic system.

They hate him because he doesn't give a fuck and no one at Bethesda is keeping track of him or demanding he does a good job. He's vocal about this stuff on social media and insults fans who call him out for being lazy if he can't deflect it onto someone else.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Pete Hines said "I'm not going to talk about realism in a setting with super mutants and ghouls." Emil is the joker who said "Skyrim is the most biblical game we've made." They're both troglodytes.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The point is not about them being too upset, but them being upset for the wrong reasons.

It's hardly a defense of Bethesda.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pete Hines said "I'm not going to talk about realism in a setting with super mutants and ghouls." Emil is the joker who said "Skyrim is the most biblical game we've made." They're both troglodytes.
Reminder that Emil went from designing great missions for Thief 2 to working on Skyrim...

Suger

Literate
While I can understand why he addressed that part of the problem, he did it poorly. By pointing out specific individuals and blaming them for making this personal while assuming their intent, he also made it personal.
The plagiarism accusation about Patrician was also weird and out of place. He blames the Reddit's post author for cherry picking but explains he did the same thing with Patrician, otherwise he'd have realized Emil was already criticized back in his older Skyrim and Oblivion videos too.

Some people do need a reality check once in a while, but Never's video seems to have been made out of spite rather than something well thought out before.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The poibt is not about them being too upset, but them being upset for the wrong reasons.

It's hardly a defense of Bethesda.

He tries to make a point that some people took Emil out of context and pretty much fails to prove it. Some post form 2016 on reddit is the main catalyst for "hate" on him and that notion is laughable as he was main writer and designer on Skyrim. Yeah dude, people started shitting on Bethesda and specifically on their writing (something Emil is the main guy since Skyrim) in 2016. :lol:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I remember watching his videos pretty soon after he started making them, when he was getting just a few thousand views, even though his videos were long, he could make his points more succinctly, and he wasn't as big faggot back then yet.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Does any one know of any youtubers who do good jank reviews? I love finding those old not-even-GOG-would-release-this games from the early 2000s on PC games and not many people review crap like that. A good example is Boiling point : road to hell. Utter jank open world FPS. Barely functions at points but it's still a better game than Starfield despite having a similar quality. I'd love to find some dude with like 10k subs reviewing shit like this but youtube makes that quite difficult.

I found this guy. I don't know if he's good but he seems to review bad games and had the balls to play Nu Saints Row so he deserves some credit.

This guy fits the bill pretty well too. Feels quite early youtube as well.

Hobknobling

Learned
Does any one know of any youtubers who do good jank reviews? I love finding those old not-even-GOG-would-release-this games from the early 2000s on PC games and not many people review crap like that. A good example is Boiling point : road to hell. Utter jank open world FPS. Barely functions at points but it's still a better game than Starfield despite having a similar quality. I'd love to find some dude with like 10k subs reviewing shit like this but youtube makes that quite difficult.

I found this guy. I don't know if he's good but he seems to review bad games and had the balls to play Nu Saints Row so he deserves some credit.

This guy fits the bill pretty well too. Feels quite early youtube as well.

Salokin is the best:

Latest video.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I see other utubers finally take world of tanks utub community quality of being a jar where tarantula and scorpion try to sting each other

Baron Dupek

Arcane
droppin sum random links from my ol' playlists that contained some jank reviews

fuck, YT used to recommend a lot of stuff related to my interest
these days? ahahanah

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom