Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

911 Jumper

Educated
Watched a bit of NeverKnowsBest's recent vid on bad games. I plan to stick with it out of curiosity.

Classic Gaming Quarterly's console launch vids are pretty good. Here's the one for the Dreamcast (no memes or bad language, which is always welcome):

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Codex's favorite lullaby channel has posted another one.

He conveniently dances around the subject of why this seems like a year stacked with outstanding games - continued practice of score inflation. He touches on community Metacritic ratings due to how prominent 0s and 10s are, but that's just people having a naive notion of "fighting" the critics' ratings, and those are the real issue. Let's be honest and just say most of those highly vaunted titles like new Zelda or Spider-Man are just 7.5 rehashed sequels at best. Novelty of the last game, whatever it may have been, cannot apply to the sequel as well. There can never be genuinely meaningful scores as long as people treat AVERAGE as some kind of dirty word.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Codex's favorite lullaby channel has posted another one.

He conveniently dances around the subject of why this seems like a year stacked with outstanding games - continued practice of score inflation. He touches on community Metacritic ratings due to how prominent 0s and 10s are, but that's just people having a naive notion of "fighting" the critics' ratings, and those are the real issue. Let's be honest and just say most of those highly vaunted titles like new Zelda or Spider-Man are just 7.5 rehashed sequels at best. Novelty of the last game, whatever it may have been, cannot apply to the sequel as well. There can never be genuinely meaningful scores as long as people treat AVERAGE as some kind of dirty word.

I'm playing TOTK and it doesn't feel like a rehash. It has a lot of new content and the way you interact with the world is very different to the original. Adding Garry's mod to BOTW really did change the way the game functions. It feels like it's own thing and builds off of BOTW in a way I would compare to the gravity gun added to Half-life. You're still shooting things/climbing things/whatever but being able to Garry's mod solutions or make new weapons on the fly is revolutionary for the gameplay. On the surface it's BOTW 2, but a couple of hours in (the tutorial sucks and takes too long) and you realize nothing you're doing feels like BOTW if you're engaging with the new systems.

Spukrian

Savant
From one Robin Hood To another:

Robin Hood is a gorgeous game but sadly way too easy, even when I was a kid I could beat it on the highest difficulties. I didn't like Chicago tbh. It felt too poorly made, I guess.

I've only played Robin Hood on Normal and I thought the difficulty was okay. EDIT: my memory is bad. Little John is a bit overpowered, using him makes some missions easy. Other than that the difficulty is fine.

Chicago however... was too easy. They failed the balance vs realism. Chicago 1930 is realistic to the detriment of gameplay, it's faster to just draw a gun than to reload, which means you could steamroll a mission with just one dude carrying 6 guns (because if you carried one gun and 5 ammo you would be opening up for retaliation). (Compare this to FallOut where realoading takes less AP than accessing your inventory).

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Turin us a great RTS commentator. Does some nice live streams where he commentates on others player. Highly recommend.

Cuddly Q'bert. Don't you want a cuddle!?

This guy's evolution of series are pretty fun. Do not check out Tobal, only pain can come from what happened there.

flyingjohn

Arcane
"Starfield is not bad, it is just mediocre"
"Starfield writer is misunderstood"
Let me guess, the next video will be "Starfield is not as bad as you think it is"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom