Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

flyingjohn

Arcane

The Gothic piss expert tries stealth.

AndyS

Augur

I haven't watched that, but skimming through the chapter headings, it looks like he may have missed Star Wars: Attack on the Death Star for the X68000?

Edit: Okay, I did watch a few minutes. He sounds like a typical Youtuber who uses limp jokes to excuse ignorance. Makes fun of an Atari 2600 game for being simple but somehow can't figure out how to play such a simple game. He couldn't have spared two minutes to glance at the manual?

Last edited:

Lucumo

Educated
I haven't watched that, but skimming through the chapter headings, it looks like he may have missed Star Wars: Attack on the Death Star for the X68000?

Edit: Okay, I did watch a few minutes. He sounds like a typical Youtuber who uses limp jokes to excuse ignorance. Makes fun of an Atari 2600 game for being simple but somehow can't figure out how to play such a simple game. He couldn't have spared two minutes to glance at the manual?

Yeah, pretty sure he only covered an MSX game when it comes to Japanese PCs. Though, since it's apparently similar to the arcade game, maybe he skipped it on purpose?

That's what I meant when I wrote: "[...]he isn't exactly good at games and a console peasant to boot...". But I wouldn't say he is ignorant. He does try but a console peasant will always be a console peasant in the end. So you can't get rid of it completely. He also isn't a "Youtuber" aka he has a wife, kid and a job as a teacher.
But yeah, it's his latest and longest video. Personally, I prefer the Three Kingdoms or the Kirby one.

-M-

Learned
There is also his latest retrospective if one is interested in Star Wars games:

Watched a good (selective) chunk of this and it was a nice nostalgia trip to remember that this franchise was exciting at one time. His takes are fine but not particularly interesting, and he has a strange aversion to PC (preferring consoles for even the FPS games - also he's a Mac user). His view on KOTOR is about as banal as they come, seeing it as a flawless masterpiece. He did think that the portable shield excuse for everybody using swords in a world filled with guns was an example of good writing, instead of the blatant lampshading by the writers to fit the game mechanics with the D&D system they chose to use (should have criticized this instead). (For the record, I like KOTOR but am far from loving it, and think that the writing everyone slathers over is pretty dumb). Also found it a little odd that he preferred the new EA Battlefront games to the originals, but to each his own.

Lucumo

Educated
Watched a good (selective) chunk of this and it was a nice nostalgia trip to remember that this franchise was exciting at one time. His takes are fine but not particularly interesting, and he has a strange aversion to PC (preferring consoles for even the FPS games - also he's a Mac user). His view on KOTOR is about as banal as they come, seeing it as a flawless masterpiece. He did think that the portable shield excuse for everybody using swords in a world filled with guns was an example of good writing, instead of the blatant lampshading by the writers to fit the game mechanics with the D&D system they chose to use (should have criticized this instead). (For the record, I like KOTOR but am far from loving it, and think that the writing everyone slathers over is pretty dumb). Also found it a little odd that he preferred the new EA Battlefront games to the originals, but to each his own.
Yeah, I played/watched some N64 and GC Star Wars at a friend's place and played the Jedi Knight series, Battlefront and Republic Commando myself on PC. Also enjoyed the Dark Forces games and Episode I Racer when they came out on GOG eventually. Most of them were definitely good games. As for the takes...like I said, he is no "Youtuber". So there won't be any contrarian statements to garner clicks, unless he really thinks so. Aka a typical console peasant. The weird thing is that he is British and not American. I mean, mainland Europe was generally heavy PC, especially North, Central and East. No clue about Great Britain but I always assumed they were similar. They even had their own PCs too after all.
Did he say he played it previously? Obviously, one main issue with playing all these games is that some games deserve more thought than others. Apart from that, he also isn't (obviously) a WRPG guy but heavily leans towards JRPG due to his heavy console preference. So I would doubt his background knowledge in that matter. (Never played Kotor myself but I remember watching a friend playing that or the sequel on the PC. I was personally never invested in the franchise, as the original trilogy existed and the prequels came out at a perfect time for me...except I didn't like them at all, even as a kid.)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You know what to expect from the thumbnail alone

Before FROM Soft struck gold with Souls saga (and bring back challenge to games) they made games inspired by Ultima Underworld

Eldrin

Novice

Great 'History of Gothic' video. Solid research, screens and sketches from the 1st core ideas and alpha sketches, comments from the original creators about the games (e.g. Mike Hoge's personal critique).

If you can't understand German, switch on YT auto-translate; works quite well with this type of narration.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i honestly didn't expect Warlockracy to review the weird and ambitious rusjank Wing Commander clone, The Tomorrow War, that all of 5 people know about:

Zariusz

Arbiter
i honestly didn't expect Warlockracy to review the weird and ambitious rusjank Wing Commander clone, The Tomorrow War, that all of 5 people know about:

That looks like a very interesting game tbh, what's the jank level,weird and bugged but all of it kinda works or barely playable mess with visible lost potential?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron

That looks like a very interesting game tbh, what's the jank level,weird and bugged but all of it kinda works or barely playable mess with visible lost potential?

it has a few things for it. the immense scale of the environments is impressive, but otherwise the game itself is just.... ehhh. it's very easy to softlock yourself too

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron

i remember getting Imperium Galactica 2 at a Berkley and Jensen store years ago. it feels more primitive than newer 4X games nowadays, but it still has insane production values for what it is - and only Imperium Galactica 1 and 2 still have the most detailed depiction of ground combat (as in, its pretty much a full Command and Conquer clone-tier level of detail) i've seen in a 4X game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom